CHAPTER 9: GRANTHAM HOUSE (No. 6 WHITEHALL YARD) (Demolished)
In 1719 (fn. 1) George Treby (fn. 2) obtained a lease of a piece of ground 120
feet long from east to west, 50 feet wide at the west end and 48½ feet wide
on the east, bounded north by a passage leading to the Thames (i.e. the way
to Whitehall Stairs), east by the river, south by a piece of ground in the
possession of Mrs. Darcy, and west by other waste ground within the Palace.
A few weeks later Treby applied for (fn. 3) and obtained leave to take down a
piece of old wall, (fn. 4) "part of the Ruines of Whitehall" on the west side of
his premises, and in the following year asked (fn. 5) to be allowed to surrender
his lease and take out a fresh lease of the premises to include a piece of ground
adjoining the west side, 53 feet by 52 feet. (fn. 6) The petition was granted.
It appears from the report on the petition that Treby had already
put in hand building, which "when finisht will cost upwards of £3,000,"
but it is not until 1725 that the house appears in the ratebooks. From that
date until 1745 (with a few breaks) Treby is shown in occupation. In 1738
he obtained a reversionary lease of 35 years from 1st April, 1752. The
ratebooks for 1746 to 1750 show the Earl of Dysart (fn. 7) at the house.
In 1749 Sir Thomas Robinson (fn. 8) (afterwards 1st Baron Grantham),
who had recently returned from his diplomatic career on the Continent,
and was on the look-out for a permanent residence in London, acquired
Treby's interest in the house and applied for a new lease, as well as for
permission to build over the covered passage to Whitehall Stairs for a distance of 36 feet. The report on his application (fn. 9) states that Treby had erected
"a substantial house," and that Robinson was then making considerable
improvements to it. The lease (and the necessary permission to build over
the passage) was granted in the following year. Grantham died at the house
in Whitehall on 30th September, 1770.
In 1779 his son, 2nd Baron Grantham, (fn. 10) applied for a reversionary
lease, which was duly granted, (fn. 11) to run for 29½ years from 9th April, 1800.
On his marriage in 1780 he settled (fn. 12) the house on his wife, and after his
death Lady Grantham (fn. 13) continued to reside there until her death, which
took place in the house at Whitehall on 7th January, 1830. The lease
expired in the same year, and the premises were taken over by the Crown,
being at first used for the Earl Marshal's office. They were demolished
on the formation of Horse Guards Avenue about 1896.
A view of the house in 1803 is contained in Plate 47.