||Indenture, dated 9th February, 1604–5, between William King and William Joyce.
(P.R.O., C. 54/1799.)
||See petition by "John Bonfeild, one of yor Maties Lyeter men." (19th June, 1601,
P.R.O., Court of Requests, 2/112/33.)
||Final concord between Thomas Pearce quer: and William Bowyer esq. deforc: concerning
11 messuages and half an acre of land in St. Martin's. The consideration was £1,300. (Trinity,
||Red Lion Yard was Crown property, partly lying south of the site of the old wall of
St. James's Park, and partly taking in so much of the ground without the wall as anciently belonged
to the verge or freeboard of the park.
||No records have been found of leases of those houses at that time, and the ratebooks show
that they were at that period in continuous occupation.
||Not entirely, for there are indications that Nos. 30 and 31 were rebuilt in the closing years
of the seventeenth century on the site of three previous houses.
||The ratebooks show that one of his predecessors at the house was Miles Mitchell (1666–80).
In Boyne's Tokens issued in the Seventeenth Century is a reference to one of "Miles Michell at [the
Cooks' Arms] Charing Cros, Mealman."
||See Plomer's Dictionary of Booksellers and Printers, 1668–1725. Chapman published in
1687 Spencer Redivivus, a modernisation of Book I of The Faerie Queen.
Ibid. In 1703 Luke Stokoe published a small volume of verse called Poems on Several
Occasions, Together with some Odes in Imitation of Mr. Cowley's Stile and Manner, and in 1725 he
took subscriptions for Francis Mason's Vindication of the Church of England.
||In 1668 the post-house was removed from The Swan "to ye Red Lyon att Charing
Crosse agt ye mewese gate" (P.R.O., S.P. 29/234/137). The printed calendar (Cal. of S. P.
Dom., 1667–8, p. 224), wrongly transcribes "mewese" as "newest." In 1672 an order was issued
for "the red Lyon and the Whitehart Innes neere Chareing Crosse and the White hart In in Long
Acre to be the Quarters of One Dragooner of every troope of the twelve Troopes of Dragoones in
the Regiment of Our most deare and most intirely beloved Cousin Prince Rupert." (P.R.O.,
W.O., 26/1, p. 308.)
||It is shown thus on Morden and Lea's map of 1682, and the fact is in accord with several
notices that are extant; e.g. (i) "Mending the spring Garden gate coming out of the wood to
the red Lyon" (June, 1660, P.R.O., Works, 5/1); (ii) "Paving the way between the red Lion
and the gate goeing into ye Park" (January, 1664–5, ibid., 5/5); (iii) "makeing a paire of great
gates of whole Deale lined on ye Backe Sides with Whole Deale x fot halfe high, xi fot halfe wide,
to be putt up at ye upper end of ye old Spring Garden by ye Redd Lyon Inn" (March, 1677–8,
ibid., 5/29); (iv) "for 2 paire of hinges with rivites for ye new gates which are to be putt up by
the Red Lyon Inn goeing into the ould Spring garden" (March, 1677–8, ibid., 5/30).
||Griffith Davis first appears in respect of The Red Lion in the 1697 ratebook. Previous
occupiers had been Cuthbert Reddall (1646–55), John Martin (1656–65), Edward Danker (1666–71), Thomas Browne (1672–77), and Francis Suckling (1678–96). The Hearth Tax Rolls for
1666 and 1674 show Edward "Bankes" and "Mr. Browne" assessed at 17 and 19 hearths
respectively. In 1673 a warrant was issued for the demand of all rents and arrears "due to William
Urlin at the time of his being attainted of felony, at which time he stood possessed of the Red Lyon
Inn, near Charing Cross" (Cal. of Treasury Books, 1672–5, p. 450). Either Urlin held a lease of
the property from Bowyer and did not actually occupy the inn, or less probably there was another
Red Lion in the vicinity, for he does not appear in the list of occupiers.
||Particulars taken from indenture, dated 17th October, 1740, between Jane Griffith and
Griffith Chippin and Charles Simes. (Middx. Register, 1740, III, 438.)
||The remark in Strype's edition of Stow's Survey that the "Red Lion Inn hath an open
Passage for Coaches into Spring Garden" (Book VI, p. 77) was at that time (1720) no longer true
||Particulars taken from indenture, dated 2nd October, 1750, between (1) John Tetlow
and John Wright, (2) Charles Simes and (3) William Greening. (Middx. Register, 1750, II, 488.)
||Referred to in the sale by the trustees of a later Pearce as "all that other freehold Messuage
… or Inn, commonly called … the Red Lion, with the Tap Room and other Buildings thereto
adjoining and belonging … on the West side of the said Red Lion Yard … and … contains in
front from North to South about thirty seven feet and six inches and in depth at mean about twenty
feet and nine inches." (Indenture, dated 10th May, 1796, between William Heberden and others
and David Hatton Morley.—Middx. Register, 1796, III, 243.)
||See indenture, dated 20th February, 1720–21, between (1) William Moreau and Sarah
his wife, (2) Gamaliel Webb, and (3) Alexander Burne. (Ibid., 1722, III, 247.)
||There is a letter, dated 5th October, 1717, from James Murray to John Menzies "at the
British Coffee house near Charing Cross." (Hist. MSS. Commn., Cal. of Stuart Papers belonging
to H.M. the King, V, p. 157.)
||"Sarah Fenwicke, otherwise Moreau, ye late wife of William Moreau." (Middx.
Register, 1733, II, 6.)
||"On Wednesday Night last the Corpse of the famous Mrs. Anne (sic) Fenwick, Mistress
of the British Coffee-house, near Charing Cross, was interr'd at St. Martin's in the Fields. The
Body was dress'd in a Suit of richly laced Linnen; on one of her Fingers a new Gold Ring, with a
remarkable Poesy engrav'd thereon, and a Parcel of Letters which she had received from her Son,
placed under one of her Arms; All in Pursuance of her last Will and Testament." (The Daily
Post, 6th July, 1728.)
||On 20th September, 1771, Zachary Pearce, Bishop of Rochester, who had inherited the
freehold from his father Thomas, granted a 30 years' lease to the Rev. John Douglas of "all that
Messuage… on the South side of Cockspur Street … then in the Tenure … of Helen Anderson"
(Middx. Register, 1777, V, 253). The lease was on 1st July, 1777, sold to David Morley,
||Plans of the house are given in The Works in Architecture of Robert and James Adam
||See account in MacMichael's Charing Cross, pp. 35 ff.