This property lay on the E. side of Soper Lane, between 31 to the S., 33 to the N., and 36 to the E. It probably measured some 6 ft. (1.83 m.) N.-S. by 12-15 ft. (3.66 m. to 4.57 m.) E.-W.
In 1858 the site of the property lay largely within that of no. 70 Cheapside.
Thirteenth to fifteenth century
In 1301 Roger de Bury, citizen and mercer, and his wife Margaret quitclaimed to Roger de Parys, citizen and mercer, in the shop which de Parys held for life by de Bury's grant in Soper Lane, between 31, 33, and 36. It was charged with quit-rents of £1. 12s. to William de Bettonie and his heirs, and 6s. to the heirs of Philip le Taylour. The latter rent may be part of the £3. 6s. 10d. rent which Philip had by the grant of Lawrence of St. Michael in 1258-9, and which by his will of 1292 he left to the church of St. Michael Paternoster. (fn. 1) By 1316 32 belonged to Lawrence de Thorleye, cornmonger (bladarius), who by his will proved in that year left his shop in St. Pancras parish in Soper Lane for sale. His executors Andrew and Alexander Corteys or Curtois sold it to Hugh de Garton, who by his will, dated and proved in 1327, left it to his son John, together with an interest in 9. In 1336 and subsequently, abutment references from 33 describe 32 as the shop of John de Grantham. It is not clear whether this was accurate, and there is no identifiable reference to 32 in connection with 18, 21-2, the principal properties of John de Grantham. There may have been confusion between John de Garton and John de Grantham. (fn. 2) John de Garton died in 1362, seised of 3 shops, worth £4 p.a. clear, 2 shops, worth £1 clear, and a rent of 13s. 4d., all in St. Pancras parish, and rents elsewhere. One of these shops was probably 32, though which is not clear, and some or all of the rest may have been parts of 9. John's heir was his son, also John de Garton. The subsequent descent of 32 is not clear; it does not seem to be the same as that of the de Garton interest in 9. In 1378 it was described as the shop late of Richard Marchaunt, and in 1382 as once of Nicholas Marchaunt. By 1427 it was held by John Twyford, esquire, as his inheritance on the death of his mother Joan. John Twyford and his wife Alice also bought 31; the later history of the 2 properties is given under 31. (fn. 3)
|| HR 30(52), 21(66); PA, no. 250.
|| HR 44(112), 45(39), 55(82), 63(280), 64(115); GL, MS 25121/1649.
Cal Inq PM xi, no. 334; CLRO, Misc Roll EE (Escheats), m. 40d; HR 106(127), 111(50), 156(11); see 9.