LIV.—THE CHURCH OF ST. GILES-IN-THE-FIELDS.
In a book, (fn. 1) now in the possession of the Holborn Metropolitan
Borough Council, containing a number of extracts apparently copied from
an earlier volume, is the copy of a document dated 26th January, 1630–31,
in which it is stated that Queen Maud, about the year 1110, here built a
church "pulchram satis et magnificam," and called it by the name of
St. Giles-in-the-Fields. It is possible that the statement is merely based
on the fact of the foundation of the hospital, including the church, at about
Although there is no record of any presentation to the living before
the Hospital was suppressed in 1539, the fact that the parish of St. Giles
was in existence at least as early as 1222 (fn. 2) necessitates the assumption
that the church was partially used for parochial purposes. After the
suppression of the Hospital the whole fabric became parochial.
The earliest institution that has been found to (fn. 3) this church is
dated 20th April, 1547, and was at the presentation of Sir Wymond Carew.
On the next occasion (1571) the privilege was exercised by Queen Elizabeth,
and since that time the patronage has always been in the hands of the
Very little information remains as to the architectural character
of the church (whether the original structure or not) at the time of the
dissolution. (fn. 4)
Besides the high altar there must have been an altar to the patron
saint, St. Giles. There is also evidence of the existence of a chapel of
St. Michael, for in the 46th year of Henry III. Robert of Portpool bequeathed
certain rents to provide for the maintenance of a chaplain "to celebrate
perpetually divine service in the chapel of St. Michael, within the hospital
church of S. Giles." (fn. 5)
According to an order of the Vestry of 8th August, 1623, there
then existed a nave and a chancel, both with pillars, clerestory walls over,
and aisles on either side.
The Vestry minutes of 21st April, 1617, record the erection of a
steeple with a peal of bells, but from the fact that "casting the bells"
is mentioned as well as the buying of new bells, and from the reference
to it in the following year (9th September, 1618) as "the new steeple,"
it seems probable that something of the kind had existed before. Parton (fn. 6)
says that there was in early times a small round bell tower, with a conical
top, at the western end of the church, but his authority for the statement is
The size of the church, measured within the walls, was 153 feet by
65 feet. (fn. 7)
The church was, in the early years of the 17th century, in danger
of falling, as indeed some of it did, causing a void at the upper end of the
chancel "which was stored with Lumber, as the Boards of Coffins and
Deadmen's Bones." A screen was erected at the expense of Lady Dudley
"to hide it from the beholders' eyes, which could not but be troubled at
it." (fn. 8) A further collapse caused the parishioners to decide to erect a new
church. This was begun in 1623 and finished in 1631. The cost of building
amounted to £2,068, all of which, with the exception of £252 borrowed,
was obtained from voluntary offerings. The largest contributor was
Lady Dudley, who gave £250, and, in addition, paid for the paving of the
church and chancel. A small sketch of the church is given by Hollar in
his plan of 1658 (Plate 3), and a lithograph (here reproduced) by G. Scharf
is in Parton's Hospital and Parish of St. Giles-in-the-Fields.
The Old Church of St Giles in the Fields
as it Appeared in the year 1718.
From a lithograph of G. Scharf after John Hall
Hatton (fn. 9) gives the length as 123 feet and the breadth 57 feet. The
church and steeple appear to have been built of rubbed brick (fn. 10) , surmounted
with battlements, and coped with stone. (fn. 10) A western gallery was erected
in 1671, and others to the north and south in 1676–7.
The chancel had a large east window, and one on either side. The
nave had a window over the chancel arch, and a large one at the west end.
There were north and south aisles, which must have been of considerable height to admit of the galleries which were subsequently added.
They appear to have been of three bays, (fn. 11) with two windows in each. All
the windows, except the westernmost one in the north aisle, were glazed
with coloured and painted glass. There were three doors to the church,
one beneath the west window and others under the third window from the
east of the north aisle and the westernmost window of the south aisle.
No window is mentioned by Strype at the west end of the north aisle,
so that it is probable that the tower was attached to the church in this
situation. This had battlements and was provided with a vane.
The interior was well furnished and provided with numerous ornaments, many of which were the gift of Lady Dudley. (fn. 12) Chief among the
latter must be mentioned an elaborate screen of carved oak placed where
one had formerly stood in the old church. This, as stated in a petition
to Parliament in 1640, (fn. 13) was "in the figure of a beautifull gate, in which is
carved two large pillars, and three large statues: on the one side is Paul,
with his sword; on the other Barnabas, with his book; and over them
Peter with his keyes. They are all set above with winged cherubims, and
beneath supported by lions."
The church had a pair of organs with case richly gilded, and the
organ loft was painted with a representation of the Twelve Apostles.
Very costly and handsome rails were provided to guard the altar.
This balustrade extended the full width of the chancel, and stood 7 or 8
feet east of the screen at the top of three steps.
The altar stood close up to the east wall, with a desk raised upon it
in various degrees of advancement.
The upper end of the church was paved with marble, and six bells
were provided in the steeple.
In 1640 the reformers were very bitterly incensed against the rector
with regard to the fittings in the church, and a petition was presented to
Parliament enumerating the various articles which were considered superstitious and idolatrous. The result of this action was that most of the
ornaments were sold in 1643, while Lady Dudley was still alive.
After the Restoration the church was repaired and decorated,
and a striking clock and dials added to the tower.
In 1716 the church had a very valuable addition made to its plate
in the form of an engraved gold communion cup, weighing 45 ozs., which
had been purchased pursuant to the will of Thomas Woodville, a parishioner
who died at sea. This valuable chalice, together with the rest of the
sacramental and other plate, was stolen from the vestry room in 1804.
The church was obviously not well constructed, for by 1715 it was
reported to be in a ruinous condition. Under a moderate computation
it appeared that it would cost £3,000 to put it in order. The ground
outside being above the floor of the church, caused the air to be damp
and unwholesome, and proved inconvenient in other ways. In these
circumstances it was thought better to recommend a complete reconstruction of the church.
The parishioners accordingly petitioned that the church should
be included in the 50 new churches to be built in the cities of London and
Westminster and the suburbs, and the necessary authority for this was
eventually obtained in 1718. (fn. 14) Nothing, however, was done until 1729,
when an arrangement was come to whereby the Parish of St. Giles agreed
to make provision for the stipend of the rector of the new parish of St.
George, Bloomsbury, on condition that the Commissioners acting under
the Act of Queen Anne should pay a sum not exceeding £8,000 for the
rebuilding of St. Giles Church. The arrangement was sanctioned by an
Act of Parliament of the same year. (fn. 15) By 1731, Henry Flitcroft had
prepared plans and entered into an agreement to begin pulling down by
31st August of that year, and to have the new church completely finished
on or before 25th December, 1733. For this work the architect was to
receive £7,030, but in fact the contract was exceeded by over £1,000,
Flitcroft's receipt being for £8,436 19s. 6d. (fn. 16)
The interior dimensions of the church are as follows: length from
the west wall to the east wall of the chancel, 102 feet; length from
the west wall of the nave to the east wall of the nave, 74 feet; depth of
the chancel, 8 feet; width of the nave and aisles, 57 feet 6 inches.
The plan is a nave of five bays with side aisles (Plate 43), over which
are galleries, these being connected by a western one in the last bay of the
nave. A shallow sanctuary is placed at the eastern end, and at the west is
the steeple and a vestibule containing the entrances and the staircases to the
galleries and tower.
The general treatment of the exterior of the church (Plates 45 and 47)
is plain in character, but of pleasing effect. The walling is faced with Portland stone rusticated (chamfered at the joints) to a projecting band marking
the gallery level. Above, the walling is of plain ashlaring with rusticated
quoins. The gallery windows have semi-circular heads with keystones,
moulded architraves and plain impost blocks. The whole is surmounted
by a bold modillion cornice, with blocking course above.
Emphasis is given to the sanctuary by a pediment and by a large
semi-circular-headed window with panels on either side forming a decorative composition.
The western end has a similar pediment with the tower rising above.
The central entrance doorway lacks emphasis and the importance which
its position seems to require, and is almost the same in design as those
to the vestibules facing north and south, which are relatively unimportant.
On the main frieze below the cornice is the inscription—H. Flitcroft,
Rising immediately behind the western pediment is the steeple
of about 150 feet in height.
Flitcroft's able design was evidently influenced by that of Gibbs
for the neighbouring church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, but it lacks the
vigorous character of that noble structure. The banding to the obelisk
above the belfry tends to make this feature appear somewhat overheavy in
comparison with the graceful lantern beneath. The change from square
to octagon at the clock face level is cleverly managed, and will bear
comparison with the same feature at St. Martin's Church.
The following extract from A Critical Review of the Public Buildings, Statues and Ornaments in and About London and Westminster made by
Ralph in 1734, is of interest, as it gives an opinion upon the architecture of
this church shortly after its erection:—
"The new church of St. Giles's is one of the most simple and
elegant of the modern structures: it is rais'd at very little expence,
has very few ornaments, and little beside the propriety of its parts,
and the harmony of the whole, to excite attention, and challenge
applause: yet still it pleases, and justly too; the east end is both
plain and majestick, and there is nothing in the west to object to
but the smallness of the doors, and the poverty of appearance that
must necessarily follow. The steeple is light, airy and genteel,
argues a good deal of genius in the architect, and looks very well
both in comparison with the body of the church, and when 'tis
consider'd as a building by itself, in a distant prospect."
Ralph disliked the position of the church, and would have altered
its direction, making what is the east end the main front, and placing it in
such a manner as to have ended the vista of Broad Street.
The interior (Plate 49) is much finer than the exterior would suggest,
and is an excellent example of a well thought-out design. Square panelled
piers rising to the underside of the galleries support Ionic columns with
block entablatures, all of Portland stone (Plate 46). These carry the roof
and ceiling. The ceiling of the nave is barrel-vaulted in form, panelled
and divided into bays by mouldings. The ceilings of, the aisle-galleries
(Plates 44 and 51) take the form of a species of groined vaults intersecting
the barrel ceiling of the nave. The whole is covered by a roof of one span.
The treatment of the galleries is more than usually satisfactory,
for the fronts, instead of being housed into the columns—giving the suggestion of a necessary after addition—rest comfortably upon the piers
supporting the columns, and, if taken away, would mar the proportion
of the columns to their pedestals.
The shallow sanctuary is almost the full width of the nave. It is
ceiled with an ornamental panelled barrel vault following that of the nave,
and the eastern wall is filled by an architectural composition harmonising
with the general treatment of the nave.
On the frieze of the altar piece (Plate 51) is carved a cherub's head,
and above is a scrolled pediment having in the centre a pelican feeding
her young in the nest.
The lower panels on either side of the altar and of the sanctuary,
are four in number, and enclosed in carved wood frames. Two contain
pictures; that of Moses to the left (Plate 52) and of Aaron to the right
of the altar.
The pulpit is of carved oak with inlay panels. The ironwork to the
choir balustrade is of wrought work, and the old iron-bound chest in the
north-west vestibule is of interest.
The organ (Plate 50) is of considerable interest, and Mr. George E.
Dunn, the organist, has been good enough to supply the following information. The instrument was built by the celebrated Bernard Schmidt
(known as Father Smith) for the second church in 1671, when he was
41 years old. He was known chiefly for the perfection of his dispason
stops—the true organ tone—and those in this organ are among his best
specimens. When the church was rebuilt by Flitcroft he evidently did not
desire to interfere with the organ, and adopted the unusual expedient of
erecting the tower of the new church partially round the organ; consequently the back and part of two sides are covered by the walling of the
tower. Father Smith's original specification remained until 1856, when
many of the stops had become decayed after 180 years' use. Dr. G. C.
Verrinder, the organist at that time, had it restored and enlarged by Messrs.
Gray and Davidson, and further repairs and alterations were made in 1884
by the same firm, under the instructions of the late Dr. W. Little, the
organist at that date. In 1889–1900 further alterations were made by
Messrs. Henry Jones and Sons, in collaboration with the present organist.
But through all the decay and changes the organ has undergone Father
Smith's original diapasons in the front organ remain and are still perfect.
The blowing is done by hand, but the well-balanced lever renders this
comparatively easy, while, despite the retention of the old tracker action,
the instrument is quite free from the "rattling" so often found in these
old actions. In front are carved the royal arms of George I.
All the glass to the windows, except a small panel (Plate 52) in the
west window of the south vestibule, is modern. This fragment, which is
probably from the earlier church, represents St. Giles's tame hind struck
by the arrow.
The majority of the monuments in the church belong to the 19th
century. Those of earlier date are as follows:—
On the north-east wall of the nave is a tablet of white marble, on
a black marble slab, with the following inscription:
H. S. E.
GULIELMUS WATSON EQUES
SOCIETATIS REGALIS APUD LONDINUM,
ET COLLEGII REGALIS MEDICORUM SOCIUS,
REGALI ETIAM ACADEMIÆ MADRITENSI ADSCRIPTUS,
IN UNIVERSITATIBUS HALÆ ET VIRTEMBERGIÆ
HONORIS ERGO ELECTUS
VIR SUI TEMPORIS
SCIENTIÆ INDAGATOR STUDIOSSISIMUS:
ARTIS MEDICÆ ET BOTANICÆ, NECNON PHILOSOPHIÆ NATURALIS,
PRÆCIPUE QUOD AD VIM ELECTRICAM ATTINET
INTER PRIMOS PERITUS.
OBIIT DIE MAII 10. A.D. 1787. ÆTAT SUÆ 72.
HOC MARMOR NEC SUPERBUM,
NEC QUIDQUAM HABENS ORNATUS:
PRAETER IPSUM EJUS NOMEN,
FILIO PIENTISSIMO LEGANTE,
Above, surmounted by a crest, is placed a coat of arms: (Argent)
on a chevron engrailed (Azure) between three martlets (Sable) as many
crescents (of the first).
On the wall of the north aisle is a white marble tablet to the memory
of John Barnfather, who died on 17th September, 1793, in the 75th year
of his age. A tribute is paid to his strictness and impartiality in the
execution of his duties as a justice of the peace, and to his "mildness
of Temper and benignity of mind" in private life. The tablet is
surmounted by a mourning female figure, and fixed on an oval slab of
A little to the west along the aisle is a tablet of black marble, with
white marble cornice and base, bearing an inscription to the memory of other
members of the same family, viz., Robert Barnfather, who died on 23rd
October, 1741, aged 54, and his wife Mary, who died on 6th December,
1754, aged 67. A long account of the latter's many good qualities is contributed by "their most Affectionate Son."
Still further westward is a tablet with the following inscription:—
NEAR UNTO THIS PLACE LYETH THE BODY OF
ANDREW MARVELL ESQUIRE, A MAN SO ENDOWED BY NATURE
SO IMPROVED BY EDUCATION, STUDY & TRAVELL, SO CONSUMMATED
BY PRACTICE & EXPERIENCE: THAT JOINING THE MOST PECULIAR GRACES
OF WIT & LEARNING WITH A SINGULAR PENETRATION & STRENGTH OF
JUDGMENT, & EXERCISING ALL THESE IN THE WHOLE COURSE OF HIS LIFE
WITH AN UNALTERABLE STEADINESS IN THE WAYS OF VIRTUE, HE BECAME
THE ORNAMENT & EXAMPLE OF HIS AGE; BELOVED BY GOOD MEN, FEAR'D
BY BAD, ADMIR'D BY ALL, THO IMITATED ALASS! BY FEW, & SCARCE FULLY
PARALLELLED BY ANY. BUT A TOMB STONE CAN NEITHER CONTAIN HIS CHARACTER,
NOR IS MARBLE NECESSARY TO TRANSMIT IT TO POSTERITY, IT WILL BE ALWAYS
LEGIBLE IN HIS INIMITABLE WRITINGS. HE SERVED THE TOWN OF KINGSTON
UPON HULL, ABOVE 20 YEARS SUCCESSIVELY IN PARLIAMENT, & THAT WITH SUCH
WISDOM, DEXTERITY, INTEGRITY & COURAGE AS BECOMES A TRUE PATRIOT
HE DYED THE 16. AUGUST 1678 IN THE 58TH YEAR OF HIS AGE.
TO THE MEMORY OF ANDREW MARVELL ESQR. AS A STRENUOUS ASSERTER OF
THE CONSTITUTIONS, LAWS & LIBERTIES OF ENGLAND,
AND OUT OF FAMILY AFFECTION & ADMIRATION OF
THE UNCORRUPT PROBITY OF HIS LIFE & MANNERS
ROBERT NETTLETON OF LONDON MERCHANT HIS GRAND NEPHEW
HATH CAUSED THIS SMALL MEMORIAL OF HIM
TO BE ERECTED IN THE YEAR 1764.
Further is a tablet of white marble, in the form of an ornamental
cartouche, recording the death of John Hawford and Elizabeth his wife,
and their two sons John and William. All four deaths occurred between
December, 1712, and July, 1715.
Next is a tablet to the memory of Thomas Edwards, who died on
9th July, 1781, in the 71st year of his age. The tablet is of white marble,
surmounted by a black cinerary urn, on an oval slab of painted marble.
The inscription records his various bequests for the use of the poor of the
parish, and explains that the monument was erected by his widow not only
as a tribute of gratitude and affection, but with a view to inciting others
"whom God has blessed with Abilities and Success" to follow his example.
Her own death, on 23rd November, 1818, is also mentioned.
Still in the north aisle, but near the entrance, is a tomb bearing a
white marble recumbent effigy of Lady Frances Kniveton, resting on a
black marble slab above a stone base. This is one of the two memorials
preserved from the second church. The inscription, contained on a white
marble tablet, reads as follows:—
In Memory of the Right Honble. Lady Frances Kniveton, (Wife
of SR Gilbert Kniveton,/ of Bradley, in the County of Derby Bart.)
lyeth buried in the Chancel of this Church./She was one of the 5 Daughters
& Co-heirs of the Rt. Honble. Sr. Robert Dudley Kt. Duke of the/
Empire; by the Lady Alice his Wife & Dutchess. which Robert. was
Son of the Rt. Honble./Robert Dudley, late Earle of Leicester. & his
Dutchess was Daughter of Sr. Tho: Leigh,/ and Aunt to the Rt. Honble.
Thos. late Lord Leigh of Stoneleigh, in the County of Warwick./And
the said Honour & Title of Dutchess Dudley, was by Letters Patents of
his late Majesty,/of glorious Memory, King Charles ye 1st allowed;
& since graciously confirmed to her, by his/now Majesty King Charles
ye 2d and She lived & died worthy of that Honour.
Since the rebuilding of this Church this Monument was resett up
by the/Honble. Charles Leigh of Leighton, in Bedfordshire: 1738.
Recumbent Effigy of Lady Frances Kniveton
At the west end of the north aisle is the stone monument, originally in
the churchyard, of George Chapman, the poet, said to have been
designed and given by Inigo Jones. The stone on which the inscription
is cut was inserted in 1827.
On the west wall of the nave is an oval tablet of white marble,
recording the gift by the Hon. Robert Bertie, son of the 1st Earl
of Lindsey, of fifty pounds, the
interest of which was to be utilised
in the distribution of bread and
money to the poor of the parish.
Tombstone of George Chapman
From a watercolour drawing by J. W. Archer (1844), preserved in the British Museum
On a pillar on the north
side of the nave is the other
memorial which was originally in
the second church. This is to the
memory of Sir Roger L'Estrange.
In the centre of a cartouche
under a coat of arms: (Gules) two
lioncels passant guardant (Argent),
is the inscription:
In the Middle Isle near
this Place lyeth the Body of
sr Roger L'estrange
Born ye 17th of Decr. 1616
Dyed ye 11th of Decr. 1704
On a pillar on the south side
of the nave is an oval tablet of
white marble, mounted on a black
marble slab, and bearing an
inscription to the memory of the
Rev. Richard Southgate, rector of
Warsop, sub-librarian of the British Museum, and Curate of St. Giles-inthe-Fields, who died on 21st January, 1795.
If thou canst=excell him:
It will be well,
If thou canst equal him.
In the south porch are three tablets. The first, which is of marble,
and was formerly affixed to a monument which stood on the north side of
the chancel in the second church (fn. 17) , reads as follows:—
This Monument was Erected in the Year of Our Lord 1736. by the
Pious Direction of the Honourable/Dame barbara webb wife of Sr.
John Webb of Canford Magna in the County of Dorset Bart. and the
Honourable/catherine talbot wife of the Honourable john talbot of
Longford in the County of Salop Esq. Surviveing/Daughters and Coheirs
of the Right Honourable john Lord belasyse Second Son of thomas
Lord Viscount/fauconberg, in memory of their most dear Father his
wives and Children./
Who for his Loyalty Prudence and Courage was promoted to Several
Commands of great Trust by their/Majesty's King Charles the First
and Second (Viz.) Having raised Six Regiments of Horse and Foot in the
late Civil Wars/He commanded a Tertia in his Majesty's Armies att the
Battles of Edge Hill, Newbury, and Knaseby, ye Seiges of Reading/and
Bristol. Afterwards being made Governour of York and Commander in
Chief of all his Majesty's Forces in/Yorkshire, He fought the Battle
of Selby with the Lord Fairfax, then being Lieutenant General of ye
Countys of Lincoln,/Nottingham, Darby, and Rutland, and Governour
of Newark. He Valiantly defended that Garrison against the English/
and Scotch Armies, till his Majesty Came in Person to the Scotch Quarters
and Commanded the surrender of it./At which time he also had the honour
of being General of the Kings Horse Guards. in all which Services dureing/
the Wars and other Atchievements, he deported himself with eminent
Courage & Conduct & received many wounds/Sustained Three
Imprisonments in the Tower of London, and after the Happy Restauration
of King charles the second/He was made Lord Lieutenant of the East
Rideing of the County of York, Governour of Hull, General of His Majesty's/
Forces in Africa, Governour of Tangier, Captain of his Majesty's Guards
of Gentlemen Pensioners, & First Lord/Commissioner of the Treasury to
King james the Second. He dyed the 10th day of September 1689. whose
remaines/are deposited in this Vault./
He married to his first wife jane daughter and Sole Heiress of Sr.
robert boteler of woodhall in the/County of Hertford, Knt. by whom
he had Sr. henry belasyse Knt. of the most Honourable Order of the
Bath/interr'd in this Vault, mary Viscountess dunbar, and frances
He married to his second Wife ann Daughter and Coheir to
Sr. robert crane of Chilton in ye County/of Suffolk Bart. who also
lyes interr'd here.
He married to his third Wife the Right Honourable the Lady ann
powlet Second Daughter of the/Right Noble john Marquiss of Winchester,
sister to charles late Duke of Bolton, and is here interr'd, the/Issue by that
Marriage as above.
The two remaining memorials in the south porch consist of inscribed
marble tablets containing a record (1) of the gift of Richard Holford,
who left the sum of £29 a year, issuing out of three houses in the parish,
to be distributed quarterly amongst the "most aged & necessitated poore
people of the said parish"; and (2) of the gift of John Pearson (died
1707), who bequeathed the sum of £50 a year for 99 years, one half to be
utilised for the apprenticeship of boys "Sons of poor decay'd Houskeepers," and the other half to go to "the 20 Women in the Almeshouses
at ye end of Monmouth Street."
In the north porch is an inscribed marble tablet recording the provision made by Sir William Cony for the interest on £50 to be utilised in the
distribution of bread to the poor, "that is to say twelve penyworth every
Sunday in every yeare and eight holy dayes in the same yeare."
Of the tombs in the churchyard only a few bear inscriptions which
can be dated before 1800.
A stone, now placed against the east wall of the churchyard, records
the birth and death of several persons named Hammond, including George
Hammond, died 13th September, 1789; George Aust. Hammond, born
6th May, 1761, died 8th November, 179..; Mrs. P. Hammond, died 11th
June, 1798; and John Hammond (inscription mutilated).
A stone, now placed against the west wall of the churchyard, records
the death of William Harding on 23rd January, 1749, aged 76; and of
his wife, Margaret, on 29th October, 1754, aged 82. On the same stone
have been cut the later names (19th century) of persons named Orme.
By the side of the path running past the east end of the church is
the tomb of Richard Pendrell "Preserver and Conductor to his sacred
Majesty King Charles the Second … after his escape from Worcester
Fight." The visible tomb is not the original one, the raising of the
churchyard in the early part of the 19th century (fn. 18) having made it
necessary for a new monument to be erected. This stands upon the black
marble top of the older one.
On the plinth at the west end of the church is a stone recording
the death of William Collins on 14th April, 1785, at the age of 27 years.
A lich gate (Plate 53) is placed at the western side of the churchyard,
opposite the entrance to the church. It is of stone, in the Roman Doric
order, and bears the following inscription on the east side of the tympanum:
"This gate formerly stood in High Street, A.D. 1800–John, Lord Bishop of
Chichester, D.D., Rector—W. L. Davies, William Leverton—Church-wardens—was built in this place a.d. 1865. Anthony W. Thorold, M.A.,
Rector. J.F. Corben, Thomas Willson—Churchwardens."
The west side of the tympanum contains a carved oak lunette
representing the Resurrection (Plate 54). Other representations of the
same subject are to be seen at St. Mary-at-Hill, in the north-west vestibule
(stone); St. Stephen, Coleman Street, in the vestry (wood), a replica of
which is over the doorway to the churchyard from the street; St. Andrew,
Holborn, in the north wall facing Holborn (stone); and St. Nicholas,
Deptford, on the east wall of the south aisle (oak, now in a glass case).
The carving is probably the work of a wood-carver, named Love.
In 1686, directions were given by the vestry to erect "a substantial
gate out of the wall of the churchyard near the round house." The
gateway, which was of brick, was
completed in 1687. It cost, with
the necessary alterations to the churchyard, £185 14s. 6d., Love's bill being
£27. (fn. 19) In 1800, according to the inscription, it was rebuilt, this time in
stone, and remained on the north side
of the churchyard until 1865. The
main entrance to the church is still
from a gate in the iron railings, at
about the same spot.
Cast-iron Enlargement of Seal of the Hospital of St. Giles
To the south-west of the church,
and now connected by a corridor,
are the church rooms which form the
vestry. The larger room (Plate 55)
is panelled in deal with a wood cornice.
Over the chimneypiece is a list of
rectors of the parish from 1547, and
portraits of rectors hang on the walls.
There is a fine large oak table, dating
from 1701, and on the walls is a cast iron enlargement facsimile of the
old seal of St. Giles' Hospital.
The Rectors of the Parish up to the year 1800, according to
Hennessy, (fn. 20) were as follows:—
|Date of Appointment.|
|William Rowlandson, pr.||1547, April 20.|
|Galfridus Evans, cl.||1571, Nov. 8.|
|William Steward, cl.||1579, Aug. 3.|
|Nathaniel Baxter, A.M.||1590, Aug. 15.|
|Thomas Salisbury, A.B.||1591, Dec. 24.|
|John Clarke, A.M.||1592, Sept. 16.|
|Roger Maynwaring, A.M.||1616, June 3.|
|Wm. Heywood, S.T.B.||1635–6 Jan. 8 (ejected 1636).|
|Gilbert Dillingham||(died Dec., 1635).|
|Brian Walton, A.M.||1635–6, Jan. 15.|
|Wm. Heywood, S.T.B.||1660 restored.|
|Robert Boreman, S.T.P.||1663, Nov. 18.|
|John Sharp, A.M.||1675–6, Jan. 3.|
|John Scott, S.T.B.||1691, Aug. 7.|
|William Haley, cl.||1695, April 4.|
|William Baker, S.T.B.||1715, Nov. 10.|
|Henry Gally, D.D.||1732, Dec. 9.|
|John Smyth, A.M.||1769, Sept. 21.|
|John Buckner, LL.B.||1788, May 22.|
|John Buckner, LL.D.||1798, Sept. 17.|
In the Council's collection are:—
(fn. 21) Old Church of St. Giles in 1718 (print).
(fn. 21) Plan of Church at ground level (measured drawing).
(fn. 21) Plan of Church at gallery level, looking up (measured drawing).
(fn. 21) West front (measured drawing).
(fn. 21) West front, cross-section (measured drawing).
(fn. 21) The exterior from the north-west (photograph).
(fn. 21) The exterior from the north-east (photograph).
The exterior from the south-east (photograph).
(fn. 21) Sectional view of the interior looking east (photograph).
General view looking west (photograph).
(fn. 21) General view looking west (photograph).
(fn. 21) The columns and ceiling from the gallery (photograph).
The upper part of the chancel from the gallery (photograph).
(fn. 21) The altar and altar piece (photograph).
(fn. 21) Picture of Moses and carved frame, left-hand side of altar (photograph).
Wrought iron chancel railing (photograph).
(fn. 21) Recumbent effigy of Lady Frances Kniveton (photograph).
(fn. 21) Painted glass panel in window over south-west staircase (photograph).
Iron bound chest in north porch (photograph).
Plan of Vestry (measured drawing).
(fn. 21) General view of Vestry (photograph).
(fn. 21) Cast iron enlargement of Seal (photograph).
(fn. 21) Monument to Chapman drawn by J.W. Archer, 1844 (preserved in the British
(fn. 21) The Lich Gate (measured drawing).
The Lich Gate (photograph).
(fn. 21) Oak panel in the tympanum of the Lich Gate (photograph).
Old Prints, etc.
The christening of Joey. View of old Church of St. Giles-in-the-Fields.
Heal Collection, Holborn Public Library, No. 320 (engraving).
The outside north-west view of St. Giles' Church in the Fields, built 1733. H.
Flitcroft, Architect. D.F. Donnowell, Del. A. Walker, Sculp. 16 × 12½, 1753.
(British Museum Crace Collection, Port. 28, No. 118) (engraving).
North-west view of St. Giles's Church, in the style of T. H. Shepherd,
ink and watercolour, 25½ × 21½. Preserved in the Church Vestry.
"The old entrance gateway to St. Giles's Church Yard with the bas-relief of the
Resurrection, 1687." (A water colour drawing by T. H. Shepherd, 1851. 7 × 10.
British Museum Crace Collection. Portfolio 28, No. 122.)
"The new entrance gateway to St. Giles's Church Yard, introducing the old basrelief. W. Leverton, Architect." (A water-colour drawing by T.H. Shephered, 1851.
7 in. × 6½ in. British Museum Crace Collection. Portfolio 28, No. 123.)