LV.—LVII.—Nos. 14 to 16, NEW COMPTON
General description and date of structure.
The laying out of Stidwell Street on the pasture ground formerly
appertaining to the Hospital has already been referred to. (fn. 1)
In 1775–6, concurrently with the rebuilding of a great many of the
houses, the name of the street was changed to New Compton Street, and
the thoroughfare was at the same time extended over what had formerly
been known as Kendricke's Yard.
In common with many other houses, Nos. 14 to 16, New Compton
Street seem, from the evidence of the rate books, to have been rebuilt in
1776, and it is not possible to equate them with any premises existing before
Plate 42 shows three interesting 18th-century shop fronts. Nos.
14 and 15 have unfortunately lost the original bow glazing, the outline
of which is indicated by the fascias. No. 16 still retains its original square
Condition of repair.
The premises are in fair repair.
The Council's collection contains:—
(fn. 2) Nos. 14 to 16, New Compton Street. Shop fronts (photograph).
No. 6, New Compton Street. Shop front (photograph).
See p. 123.