LXXVII.—No. 18, BEDFORD SQUARE.
Ground landlord and lessee.
Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.; lessee,
Herbert Sefton-Jones, Esq.
General description and date of structure.
This house forms the eastern half of the central feature on the
north side of the square. Its interior has been considerably altered,
but the original carved white marble chimneypiece shown on Plate 81 still
The motif of the central panel is similar to that at No. 11, but is
not quite so gracefully expressed. The shelf appears to be a modern substitute, and out of harmony with the requirements of the design.
Condition of repair.
The premises are in good repair.
The earliest occupier of this house was, according to the ratebooks, the Rev.
Frederick Hamilton, who resided there from 1784 to 1786. In the latter year he
was succeeded by Thos. Hankey, who remained at the house until after the close of
In the Council's collection is:—
(fn. 1) Marble chimney-piece in front room on ground floor (photograph).