No. 30, Bedford Square

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

W. Edward Riley and Sir Laurence Gomme (editors)

Year published

1914

Page

171

Citation Show another format:

'No. 30, Bedford Square', Survey of London: volume 5: St Giles-in-the-Fields, pt II (1914), pp. 171. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74312 Date accessed: 25 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LXXXI.—No. 30, BEDFORD SQUARE.

Ground landlord and lessee.

Ground landlord, His Grace the Duke of Bedford, K.G.; lessee, the Russian Consulate-General.

General description and date of structure.

On 1st November, 1776, a lease was granted (fn. 1) as from Michaelmas, 1775, of "all that parcel of ground, with a messuage thereon, on the west side of Bedford Square, being the third house southward from Bedford Street," now Bayley Street.

The front room on the ground floor has a chimneypiece of white and coloured marble. The frieze is fluted, and contains sculptured figures.

The front room on the first floor has its walls treated as large panels, and over the two doors are decorative paintings. The chimney piece is of white marble, and the flutings of the pilasters are inlaid with coloured marble. The ornamental plaster ceiling (Plate 87) is of very delicate design. The figures in the oval medallion are modelled on classical lines, and in their delicacy are suggestive of cameos.

Condition of repair.

The premises are in good repair.

Biographical notes.

The occupiers of this house, according to the ratebooks, were:—

1778–79.Jas. Lee.
1779–93.Robt. Cooper Lee.
1793–Wm. Tatnell.

The Council's collection contains:—

Marble chimneypiece in front room on ground floor (photograph).

(fn. 2) Ornamental plaster ceiling in front room on first floor (photograph).

Footnotes

1 Middlesex Registry Memorials, 1776, VI., 630.
2 Reproduced here.