St. Andrew's Mission Church, Gurley Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

C. R. Ashbee (editor)

Year published

1900

Page

28

Citation Show another format:

'St. Andrew's Mission Church, Gurley Street', Survey of London: volume 1: Bromley-by-Bow (1900), pp. 28. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74448 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

X.—ST. ANDREW'S MISSION CHURCH, GURLEY-STREET.

General description.

In this church are installed the old altar tablets which formed the altar piece of the chancel of the old parish church (see page 3), and date from 1692. In form they are rectangular, and have large cornices along the top enriched with carving on the mouldings. The centre tablet is about 8 feet high by 5 feet wide, has a central panel with carved moulding round, and contains the Commandments, written in good letters; at the top is a figure of Moses, painted on the panel. Under this panel are two of smaller size, filled with carving in the form of swags, with grapes and vine leaves united by ribands; in part the carving is completely undercut. The side tablets are smaller, about 6 feet high by 2 feet 6 inches wide, and contain panels with the Lord's Prayer and the Apostles' Creed respectively written on them in gold letters; under these are raised panels with bolection mouldings.

Condition of repair.

Excellent.

Historical Notes.

In 1692, when Sir W. Benson came into possession of the manor and tithes of the Upper Manor of Bromley, he lengthened the chancel of the parish church, by building a small addition at the east end about ten feet square, and placed these tablets on the eastern wall of this addition, above the communion table. (See inscription on his tomb in Bromley Church, given on page 8.)

Upon the reconstruction and enlargement of the church in 1843 they were rescued by the vestry clerk, Mr. James Dunstan, just as they were being placed in the cart to be taken off to the builder's yard to be broken up, and were placed by him in the old boys' school in Priory-street. (History of Bromley, page 79.)

In 1889 they were removed to St. Andrew's Church, and put up at the east end, and at the last restoration, about four years ago, they were again shifted and placed in their present position on the west wall.

Bibliographical references.

Lysons (Environs), Brewer (Beauties of England and Wales), and Dunstan (History of Bromley), give information as to the building of the addition to the chancel in 1692, but the tablets are noted by Dunstan only.

In the Committee's MS. collection are—

(1) Measured drawings of the tablets (line drawing).
(2) Details of the carving (line drawing).