House on Bromley Wharf, Three Mills Lane

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

C. R. Ashbee (editor)

Year published

1900

Pages

31-32

Citation Show another format:

'House on Bromley Wharf, Three Mills Lane', Survey of London: volume 1: Bromley-by-Bow (1900), pp. 31-32. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74450 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

XII.—HOUSE ON BROMLEY WHARF, THREE MILLS LANE.

Ground Landlord, Leaseholders, &c.

Messrs. S. Tudor and Sons are the present leaseholders, and have oil wharves and warehouses on the ground.

General description and date of structure.

The house stands on the south side of Three Mills-lane at its eastern end, about 100 yards back from the road and 20 yards from the river Lea; it is used partly for the offices of the Oil Company, and partly as residence for their staff.

In plan it is square, each side being about 40 feet long. The exterior is partly rough cast and partly bricks, and the windows have sliding sashes of 18th century date. The principal entrance is on the west side.

Inside very little remains of earlier date than the 18th century.

The carcase of the house is, however, much older, the arrangement of the rooms, chimney stacks, hall and stairs, &c., being exactly the same as in Tudor House, and probably of the same period.

The outside walls were formerly of timber framing, on a brick basement, lathed and rough cast outside, and panelled inside. The eastern front, facing the river, and one half of each of the north and south fronts adjoining it, were rebuilt in brickwork towards the end of last century, and two bay windows added on the south side.

The kitchen retains on its walls some panelling that appears to be earlier than the 18th century in date. Several of the rooms on the ground and upper floors are panelled with woodwork of late 17th and 18th century date, and contain some good fireplaces of the Adams period. There are also on the first floor on the north and south sides of the house adjoining the bedrooms, powder closets similar to those in Tudor House and Essex House, 401, Mile-end-road, E. Some parts of the attics are fitted up with remains of panelling of various dates.

The grounds were originally of considerable extent, but are now cut up and covered by several factories and wharves. There is a long narrow pond remaining on the south side of the house and at right angles to the river, with which it formerly communicated; this, it is thought, may be part of a moat which at one time surrounded the house.

There is also said to be an underground passage leading from the house in a north-westerly direction, but search, accompanied by occasional excavation, have so far been unsuccessful in uncovering any portions of it.

Historical notes.

Nil.

Bibliographical references.

Nil.

In the Committee's MS. collection are—

* (1) A view of the house from the south-west (water colour).
(2) Details of the arch across hall (water colour).

[That marked with an asterisk is reproduced here.]