Nos. 122 to 128, St Leonard's Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

C. R. Ashbee (editor)

Year published

1900

Page

45

Citation Show another format:

'Nos. 122 to 128, St Leonard's Street', Survey of London: volume 1: Bromley-by-Bow (1900), pp. 45. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74454 Date accessed: 26 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

XVI.—Nos. 122 to 128, ST. LEONARD'S STREET.

General description and date of structure.

These houses were situated on the west side of the street, between the post office and the Limehouse-cut (the site now occupied by the Poplar Casual Ward).

The houses, with the exception of No. 124, belonged to the latter part of the 18th century. They were built of yellow bricks, and had plain square sash windows; the doors had small wood canopies over.

The central house (No. 124) was by far the finest. It was rectangular in plan, and dated from the early part of last century. The front was of grey and red bricks. At the eaves was a large projecting wood cornice; the roof was sharply pitched and tiled, and had five dormers in the front. The entrance doorway, in the centre of the front, had a wood canopy supported by moulded brackets.

The interior panelling and fitments were almost intact. The staircase was of fine design, and had large turned balusters and moulded handrails.

Nearly all the rooms were panelled with woodwork of late 18th century date. One cupboard on the ground floor was panelled round with small moulded panelling of early 17th century date, similar in detail to that in the Old Palace.

Condition of repair.

The houses, though internally in a very dirty condition, appeared to be structurally sound. They were demolished during the compilation of the register.

In the Committee's MS. collection are—

(1.) General view from the south-east.
(2.) Views from the garden.
(3.) Detail of the panelling.



Next:-->
Index