Survey of London: volume 4: Chelsea, pt II
Walter H. Godfrey
'Tablet on No. 77, Cheyne Walk', Survey of London: volume 4: Chelsea, pt II (1913), pp. 8. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74619 Date accessed: 27 August 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
LII.—TABLET ON No. 77, CHEYNE WALK.
In the Council's ms. collection are:—
No. 77 is a modern house standing at the eastern corner of Danvers
Street and Cheyne Walk. Faulkner (fn. 1) tells us that in 1742 it was a publichouse, called the "Bell," and had a sign suspended across the street.
A stone inscribed with the words:—
begun in ye year
was preserved and built into the new wall. It is now set in a panel
architecturally treated with a frame surmounted by a pediment, on brackets,
and bears the later inscription beneath:
THIS HOUSE REBUILT BY
No. 77, Cheyne Walk (photograph).
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd