Nos. 26-30, St. Leonard's Terrace

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Walter H. Godfrey

Year published

1913

Page

88

Citation Show another format:

'Nos. 26-30, St. Leonard's Terrace', Survey of London: volume 4: Chelsea, pt II (1913), pp. 88. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74651 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CXXIX.—CXXXIII.—Nos. 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30, ST. LEONARD'S TERRACE.

Ground landlord, leaseholders, etc.

The ground landlords of No. 27, No. 28 and No. 29 are respectively R. D. Bain, Esq., Miss E. C. Margesson and A. Nattali, Esq.

The leaseholders are:—No. 26, Jocelyn Thomson, Esq.; No. 27, The Misses Rigby Murray; No. 28, F. A. Fulford, Esq.; No. 29, Henry Nattali, Esq.; No. 30, Mrs. Fewster.

General description and date of structure.

These houses date from the latter half of the 18th century, and are marked Green's Row on Thompson's map of Chelsea (1836). Faulkner says (fn. 1) of them: "A little eastward is Green's Row, built in 1765, commanding an agreeable view of the College [Royal Hospital] and gardens; the land here about was for many years the property of the Green family, who had carried on an extensive Brewery for more than a century in Westminster; the property became at length involved, and was sold piecemeal about the year 1777." On Richardson's map, 1769 (Plate 2) the surrounding land is marked in the name of Richard Green.

The five houses are good specimens of the date, but have no remarkable features beyond their well-designed doorways.

In the Council's ms. collection are:—

(fn. 2) No. 26. Photograph of doorway.
No. 28. Photograph of doorway.

Footnotes

1 Chelsea and its Environs, II., p. 216.
2 Reproduced here.