Memorials in the church
The church yard

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

G. H. Gater and Walter H. Godfrey (general editors)

Year published

1934

Page

112

Citation Show another format:

'Memorials in the church: The church yard', Survey of London: volume 15: All Hallows, Barking-by-the-Tower, pt II (1934), pp. 112. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74976 Date accessed: 28 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

(D) MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD

88. JOHN GASKARTH, 1732.

In fra Iacet
Ioannes Gaskarth. S. T. P.
Huius Ecclesiae
Per quadraginta [septem] annos
Vicarius,
Gregis Custos assidius,
Bonorum fautor,
Miserorum Perfugium
Certissimus, Inopum patronus
Qui Fide dives et Operibus
Annorum Satur
Animam Deo rededit
Decembris Xmo An Dom MDCCXXXII
Aetat Lxxxvi

John Gaskarth was vicar from 1686. He twice repaired the church, largely at his own expense, and bequeathed £50 to the Green Coat School and £50 for the relief of poor housekeepers of All Hallows parish. (fn. 1)

89. SAMUEL GITTENS, 1777.

Near this place
Lyeth the Body of
Samuel Gittens. M.D.
and Samuel & Mary Gittens
of Barbadoes who died.
Feby.5th 1777.

Footnotes

1 Joseph Maskell, Par. Hist. Allhallows Barking, p. 177.