As this village is written Scadenefield and Chadensfield in old deeds, it probably
derived its appellation from Cheadda, or Chad, Saxon names of frequent occurrence,
though the particular person is now forgotten whose estate it formed. It was divided at
the time of the Norman Conquest into several manors, which seem to have escaped the
usual fate of parochial amalgamation, for it possesses seven at the present day.
Haldein, a free-man of Harold; and a free-man of Archbishop Stigand, each held a
carucate of land here as a manor. These fell to the share of Goisfridus de Mandeville,
one of the successful Norman Barons. Godwin, the son of Tuka, also held a manor
under the patronage of Gurth, which estate was granted to Roger Bigot; and a free-man
of Tored had an estate in Shaddingfield, which afterwards augmented the possessions
of Ralph Bainard. The Crown, also, retained a manor.
In 1257, the family of Bocland, or Borland, obtained a grant from the Crown for a
fair and market, with free-warren, &c, in Shadenfend, Soterley, and Willingham. (fn. 1)
In the ninth of Edward I., Hugo de Berry, whose estates seem to have extended
over the whole vicinity, possessed a manor here.
In the tenth of the same reign, William de Giselham had free-warren in Gisleham,
Kessingland, Brampton, and Shadkenfeld. (fn. 2)
In 1306, John de Brusyard held the manor of Shaddingfield of the King, as of his
manor of Framlingham, (fn. 3) which descended to John, his son and heir, who paid £20 to
the King as a relief for his father's possessions here, held of the same manor of Framlingham by the service of four knights' fees, which knights' fees are in Shadenesfeld. (fn. 4)
In the thirty-seventh of Edward III., Maria, widow of Thomas, Earl of Norfolk,
held in dower four knights' fees in Chadenesfeld, which John de Brusyard held. (fn. 5)
Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford, died on the 18th of January, in the fortysixth of the same reign, seized, inter alia, of seven knights' fees in Shadingfield,
Lethryngham, &c., in the county of Suffolk, which Thomas Wyngfield held, and which
were formerly held by William Boville, and valued at £31. (fn. 6)
By an inquisitio post mortem, taken on the 20th of October, in the twenty-sixth of
Queen Elizabeth, William Playters, of Sotterley, Esq., was found to die, seized of the
manor and advowson of Shaddingfield; and by a like inquest, taken at Norwich Castle,
on the 10th of August, in the fortieth of the same reign, Ed. Duke, Esq., was found to
die the 20th of April preceding, seized of the manor of Brusyard, &c., in Shaddingfield,
held of the Queen, as of her castle of Framlingham, for half a knight's fee, and valued
at £3. (fn. 7) In the eighth of James I., Ambrose Duke, Esq., died, seized, inter alia, of the
manor of Brusyard cum Verdons, in Shaddingfield. The manor of Francis, so called
from an ancient family that possessed it as early as the fourteenth century, passed by
marriage into the family of the Cuddons, who for many years had their seat at
Shaddingfield Hall, which, with their estate here, was sold by Eleazer Cuddon, the son
of Sir Thomas Cuddon, Knt., Chamberlain of London, to Mr. Round, of Essex. (fn. 8) The
property afterwards passed to the Kilners, of whom it was purchased by Thomas Charles
Scott, Esq., the present proprietor.
The name of Cuddon, or Codon, occurs in the court books for the manor of Sotterley
in the year 1434; and Petrus Codon is mentioned therein in 1457. The Cuddons
obtained their estate in Shaddingfield, as before observed, by marriage with the heiress
of Francis, and became connected with many of the principal families of the neighbourhood, as those of Duke, Playters, Berney, Baynard, Boston, &c. They appear to
have fallen into decay soon after selling their estates here, but are not, as is generally
supposed, extinct. A numerous branch is existing at Bungay, and one at Norwich.
The old hall, formerly their residence, was a handsome pile of red brick, which had
some little pretensions to architectural composition and grace; and stood not far from
the site of the elegant modern mansion of T. C. Scott, Esq., who possesses a good watercoloured drawing of this demolished specimen of old English dwelling-houses. The
seven manors in Shaddingfield are now held—1st, by the Marquis of Salisbury, in
whose demesnes the fines are arbitrary; 2nd, by John Garden, Esq., wherein the
fines are certain; 3rd, by the Duke of Norfolk; 4th, by the Earl of Gosford; each of
whom receives free-rents.
Thomas Charles Scott, Thomas Farr, and B. Pierson, Esqrs., claim manors in right
of their estates, but they are nominal or reputed manors only.
The Church, is a rectory dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and valued in the King's books at £12.
It comprises a nave and chancel of the same width and height, with a square tower, in
which hangs one bell. The tower opens to the body of the church by a good arch, but
the effect is marred by a modern gallery, at the foot of which stands an extremely
elegant font of stone, in excellent preservation.
The Font at Shaddingfield Church.
The whole fabric has recently been repaired, and the interior fitted throughout with
open benches and poppy-heads of an uniform pattern, carved with spirit from ancient
models; the old pews, which were mean and irregular, having been condemned by the
unanimous voice of the parishioners,—a consummation devoutly to be wished for in
every church in England.
The nave is entered from the south beneath a plain portal in the pointed style; but
a few narrow lancet windows, and a doorway on the north side, which exhibits a pointed
arch enriched with an architrave carved with the dog-tooth moulding, and resting on
solid jambs, refer the date of this edifice to an early period in our third Henry's reign.
As usual, windows of enlarged dimensions, and of a later date, pierce the wall in several
places. In these may be discerned fragments of ancient stained glass, but no entire
subject remains. The east window of the chancel has been filled with a modern essay
in this beautiful department of art. Some of the tints are clear and good, but it fails
in producing that "dim religious light" in which the old glass-stainers are yet
unrivalled. A very ancient floor-stone, carved with a cross, lies near the font; and in
the chancel is a small piscina. Too much commendation cannot be passed upon all
connected with the charge of this fabric, for the neat and reputable manner in which it
is fitted up and kept. It must not, however, be concealed, that the modern pulpit is
unworthy of the fittings by which it is surrounded. Amongst the articles of sacred
furniture pertaining to the communion table one deserves especial notice, both for its
antiquity, and the pious spirit which placed it there. It is the communion cloth of fine
linen, bordered with a deep fringe of lace-work; the appropriation of which we learn
from a memorandum inserted within the lid of an antique box of oak, in which this relic
is preserved. "This box, with a cloath for the com'union table, was given to the parish
church of Shadingfield by Elizabeth Cuddon, the wife of William Cuddon, Gent., the
xxv day of December Anno Dni 1632." The following armorial bearings were formerly
on a hatchment in Shaddingfield church. Quarterly, 1st and 4th; Cuddon, arg., a
chev. gules, on a chief az. 3 bezants. 3rd and 4th; Newman, arg., a fess wavy gules,
between 3 eagles displayed sab., impaling Berney of four coats. 1. Berney, per pale
az. and gules, a cross engrailed erm. 2. Reedham, gules, a chev. engrailed arg.
between 3 reed-sheaves or. 3. Caston, gules, a chevron between 3 eagles displayed
arg. 4. Brandiston, arg., on a canton gules, a cross or.
Also on a second hatchment, quarterly, 1st and 4th.—
Harvey, gules, on a bend argent, 3 trefoils vert.
2. . . . . sab., a boar's head couped argent.
3. . . . . arg., 3 griffins' heads erased sab., impaling Berney. And on the seat
belonging to Shaddingfield Hall, opposite to the pulpit, withinside were two shields
painted on the panels; 1st, Cuddon, impaling Berney, single; and 2nd, gules, a bend
arg., impaling Berney. (fn. 9) Blomefield, in his History of Norfolk, tells us, that in the house
of Francis Cuddon, Gent., at Mulbarton, in the tapestry hangings in the parlour were
the arms of Cuddon, quartering Francis of Shaddingfield, Cuddon and Duke, Cuddon
and Berney, Cuddon and Baynard, Jenney and Cuddon, Brampton and Cuddon, Kemp
and Cuddon, Cuddon and Hall, Cuddon and Wren, quartering Lucy; Cuddon and
Playters, Cuddon and Goldingham. (fn. 10)
On plain brass plates in Shaddingfield church are the following memorials:
1. Mary Cuddon, the first wife of William Cuddon, Gent., of Shaddingfield, one of
ye daughters and heirs of Geo. Harvye, of Olton, Esquier, died the xxij day of Novr., 1586.
2. Mary, the wife of Francis Cuddon, Gent., one of ye daughters of Edward
Boston, of Burnham Westgate, in Norfolk, Gent., died the 8th day of June, 1640.
3. Anne Harvy, widdowe of George Harvy, of Olton, and sometime ye wife of Robt.
Cuddon, of Shaddingfield, and one of ye daughters of John Barney, of Reedham, in
Norfolk, Esq., died ye 7th of Decr., 1618, aged 88.
4. William Cuddon, who married one of ye daughters and coheiresses of George
Harvy, of Olton, by whom he had issue two daughters. He afterwards married
Elizabeth, one of the daughters of William Playters, of Sotterley, Esq., by whom he had
six sonnes and five daughters, dyed 19th of Decr., 1634, æt. 79.
5. Robt. Cuddon, died the 4th of May, 1699, aged 55.
The registers of Shaddingfield commence in 1538.
The tithes and glebes of this parish were let under lease, in the year 1752, at £65.
Mr. Hodgkinson, the present Rector, (1808,) now collects for tithes £ 280. The
parsonage and glebes let at the annual rent of £11. (fn. 11)
The parish contains 1369 acres, 1 rood, 39 perches, and is commuted at £311. 14s.
There are 7 acres, 2 roods, 11 perches, of glebes. £6. 14s. are paid to Lord Gosford
and Dawson Turner, Esq., as impropriators.
The population in 1841 was 177.
Rectors of Shaddingfield.
|Adam de Kendale||1318||Thomas, Earl of Norfolk.|
|Thomas de Icneby||1320||Id.|
|Symon de Kendale||1323||Id.|
|Adam de Eglesfield||1325||Id.|
|Richard de Langford||1337||Id.|
|Robert de Byker||1342||John de Segrave, Knt.|
|John Besaunt||1361||Sir Walter Manny.|
|John de Esterford||1367||Sir Walter Manny.|
|Thomas Attewelle||1378||Margaret, Countess of Norfolk.|
|Thomas Atte Pond||1382||Ead.|
|Richard Grove de Bury||1391||Ead.|
|Thomas Walsingham||1401||The Crown, in right of the Manor of Framlingham.|
|Robert Samborn||1401||The Crown.|
|Thomas Atte Ashe||1440||The Bishop, by lapse.|
|Robert Herpe||1470||Katharine, Duchess of Norfolk.|
|John Marshall||1472||The Bishop.|
|John Carter||1495||Thomas Duke, Esq.|
|Matthew Dorkey||1495||Elizabeth, Duchess of Norfolk.|
|Nicholas Smeth||1555||The Bishop, by lapse.|
|Thomas Winnington||1587||The Queen.|
|John Talbot||1688||James, Earl of Suffolk.|
|Isaac Colman||1728||Charles Howard, Esq.|
|William Robinson||1732||Charles, Earl of Suffolk.|
|Joseph Sharpe||1752||George, Earl of Bristol; John, Earl of Portsmouth,
and Elizabeth his wife; William Whitwell, Esq.,
and the Hon. Ann Whitwell his wife; and the
Hon. John Griffin Griffin, Esq.|
|John Hodgkinson||1805||Lord Braybrooke.|
|Charles Thomas Scott||1839||Id.|
Estimatio ecclie xviij marc. Portio Prioris de Wangford in eadem ixs. viijd. Synodalia per ann: iis.
Denarij S. Petri, v. ob. (fn. 12)