Elvuin had a Manor in Flintham, which paid the Geld in the Time of King
Edward the Consessor, as fourteen Bovats, and one third Part. The Land whereof
was five Carucats. There King William had two Car. in Demesne, five Sochm. four
Vill. five Bord. having three Car. (fn. 1) There a Church and a Priest had half a Car. and
(there was) sixty Acres of Meadow. Small Wood three qu. and an half long, one qu.
broad. In the Consessor's Time the Value was 60s. in the Conqueror's 40s. It seems
to have had Soc in Cheneviton.
Besides this of the King's, Roger de Busli had a Manor in Flintham, which Odincar
had before the Conquest, and was rated for it to the Tax, or Geld, as six Bovats. The
Land whereof was then two Car. There afterwards Roger, the Man or Tenant of
Roger de Busli, had two Sochm. three Vill. four Bord. having two Car. This had
also Soc in Cheneviton, and kept the old Value 20s. as did another Manor here of Walter
de Ayncurt's Fee, which Tori had before, and paid to the Geld for it as six Bov. The
Land whereof was also two Car. There one Sochm. seven Vill. and one Bord. had two
Car. and twenty-four Acres of Meadow. Raynold, the Man of Walter, had one Car.
or Plow; small Wood one qu. long, one qu. broad. The Value of this was also 20s.
(fn. 2) The Abbot of Wellebeck, 14 Joh. ought the King four Palfrey's, for his Confirmation of the reasonable Gift which Agatha, the Daughter and Heir of Hugh Bretel,
made of Lands and Tenements with the Church of Flintham.
(fn. 3) Agatha, the Daughter and Heir of Hugh Bretel, who was first married to Galfr.
Monachus; and afterwards to Mr. Humfrey, King John's Cook, gave the Church of
Flintham, and Pasture for three Hundred Sheep in this Territory, to the Abbey of
Wellebeck. (fn. 4) She had a Son named Richard Bretel, whom I suppose to be the Husband
of Rhagenildas (by whom he had a Son of his own Name) one of the three Daughters
and Heirs of Nicolas, Bastard Son of Paganus de Sanctâ Mariâ, whose legitimate Son,
Adam de Sanctâ Mariâ, did confirm to that Abbey seven Bovats of Land, which Hugh
Bretel held here, viz. six in Demesne, and the seventh in Service, in the Tenure of
William Colstan. This Monastry had Lands of the Gift of divers Persons in this
Town; and Free Warren granted, 19 E. 1. as in Whatton and Aslacton may be noted.
(fn. 5) Roger de Mareseye offered himself, 13 H. 3. against Robert de Abrincis, concerning four Bovats of Land in Flintham, which he claimed as his Right to hold of the
King in Capite. The Posterity of Auerenches or Auerenge, were Benefactors to
Wellebeck, and some of them continued here till Henry the Fourth's Time: then sometimes written Arage. (fn. 6)
This Manor was held in the latter End of the Reign of Henry the Third, and the
Beginning of Edward the First, by Sir John de Hose, Knight, of Thomas de Marsey
or Mathersey, of the Honor of Lancaster. Nicholas de Wynchford is also said to have
held it of that Honor; but the Hose's continued here Lords of this Manor, till Queen
Elizabeth's Time; (fn. 7) That John Hosee had a Son called Robert, who dying without
Issue, Anne, his Sister, the Wife of John Draper, whose Ancestors had been here
resident since the Beginning of Edward the Third, (fn. 8) became one of his Heirs: and
had to her Share the Tenements. The Demesnes are the Inheritance of Mr. John
Hacker, by Descent from his Father Richard, who purchased them of —.
John Draper, by his said Wife, the Daughter of John Hussee, Esquire, had a Son
called Thomas, who married Elianor, Daughter of Thomas Whalley, of Kirketon, by
Screveton, Esquire, and by her left John Draper, of Grayes-Inne, who died without
Issue, as did also Francis and Thomas, his other Sons; so that Richard Draper was at
length his only Son and Heir, who married Mary, the Daughter of Sir Thomas
Peniston, the Relict of Thomas Whalley, his Cousin German, and by her hath
Whalley, now his only Daughter and Heir, Wife to Richard Butler, of Southwell,
Barrister of Grayes-Inn, who hath two Sons by her, Robert and Richard.
(fn. 10) The Seal of Sir Hugh Hose, Knight, to an Instrument bearing Date 6 H. 5. is
a Lion passant upon a Fesse.
(fn. 11) Philip de Aubeny, 13 H. 3. had a Knight's Fee in Flintham: but whether this or
no, I cannot discover,
(fn. 12) That Manor of Roger de Buslie's Fee, was held by the Lovetots, of Coleston: and
after them by the Gloucesters.
Galfr. le Fremund is mentioned to have held here half a Knight's Fee of this Honor,
viz. Tikhill. (fn. 13) Christian, sometimes Wife of Richard, Son of William de Flintham,
released to Galfr. her Son, one Bovat of her Dower, which she retained when he married
Avicia, the Sister of Henry de le Fremund, on whose Seal is two Barrulets or Gemmells
in Chief: that Name corrupted into Ferryman and Freman.
(fn. 14) Fulco de Hotot is certified also to have held half a Knight's Fee here. Alice, the
Relict of Fulco de Hotot, gave to Fulco de Hotot her Son, two Bovats in Flintham, of
the Fee of Lovetot, which she had of the Gift of Nic. de Kniveton, her Brother. (fn. 15)
This Family held under Albani of Belvoyr, whereof was Odoardus de Hotot, and
Willielmus de Hotot, 5 Steph. Leicest.
(fn. 16) The Jury found John, the Son and Heir of Hugh Hotot, 7 E. 4. who had held
one Mess. and three Bov. ¼ in Flintham, of the Wapentake of Bingham, for the Rent of
6d. yearly, and sixteen Acres of the Honor of Tikhill, for 9d. to be then twenty-eight
Years of Age.
This Family hath but little Freehold left: Part of their Land was sold to Thomas
Shipman, of Scarrington; whose Grandson, Thomas Shipman, lately sold it to John
Molyneux, Esq. eldest Son of Sir Francis Molyneux, of Kneeton, Bart.
That of Deyncurt's Fee was held by Hugo de Hoveringham, and the Family of
Gousell, as Hoveringham was.
(fn. 17) Raph de Goufell, held half a Knight's Fee in Flintham. Hugo de Hoveringham
passed two Bovats to Elias de Fanecurt, and John de Aynecurt, was pledge for the
(fn. 18) Walter, Son of Mr. Stephen de Radclive, and Brother of Thomas, Parson of
Flintham, gave to Thurgarton Priory, two Bovats and one Quarter, which he had of the
Gift of Raph de Barkeword, together with Gilbert, Son of Roger, Son of Colstan, of
Flintham, with all his, who held that Land. The Gift was confirmed by Robert de
Ayncurt, and Hawisia his Wife.
Robert Aurenge, of Flintham, released to the Prior of Thurgarton, all the Actions
he might have against him in his Meadow of Flintham, by Reason of the Fishing of
(fn. 19) Roger Son of Jordan de Flintham, gave to the Abbey of Ruchford, a certain
Part of his Land in Flintham, lying between the Land which Robert, Son of William
de Flintham, gave; and the Land of Richard, Son of William de Flintham. The
Witnesses were Raph, Son of Robert de Gohusle, Robert Morin, and John his Son,
Robert, Son of William de Gohusle, Gaufr. de Gorram, and others. Raph de Gousel's Son Walter, was Witness to Robert, Son of William de Flintham's Deed, and so
were Richard and Henry de Aurenches, and William Morin, and others. And the
said Raph de Gousell confirmed the Gift of Roger, Son of Jordan de Flintham, of the
Seat of his Mill.
(fn. 20) The Jury, 8 E. 3. found it not to the King's Loss, if he granted Leave to Alice,
the Widow of William Alexander, of Flintham, and John Fader, Chaplain, to give
five Mess. sixty Acres of Land, eighteen of Meadow in Flintham and Kneveton, held of
John le Hose, by the Service of 20s. per Annum, and Suit to his Court from three
Weeks to three Weeks, to a certain Chaplain celebrating in the Church of St. Augustine,
of Flintham, for ever.
(fn. 21) At the Assizes at Nottingham, 1 H. 4. Richard, Archbishop of York, recovered
his Seisin of Hesilford Ferry, and Hugh Husye, of Flintham was amerced.
(fn. 22) The Church of Flintham was appropriated to the Abbey of Wellebeck, by Thomas,
Archbishop of York, about the Year 1389. It now belongs to Trinity College, in
Cambridge, to which it was granted, together with the Demesne and Manor of Hoveringham and Flintham, which belonged to Thurgarton Priory, by King Henry the Eighth,
(fn. 23) by his Letters Patent, dated 24 Decemb. 38 H. 8.
That College, as I take it, purchased of Arthur Hall, the Moiety of the Manors of
Hoveringham and Flintham, with the Appurtenances; whereof there was a Recovery, 5
H. 8. (fn. 24) wherein Humfrey Wingfeild, Esquire, Francis Hall, and others, claimed them
against Anthony Wingfeild, Esquire.
The Family of Cooper of Thurgarton, have usually been grand Tenants to the College. But Mr. John Hacker, before-named, is Tenant of the Rectory. Flintham
Grange, and the Dovecot of the west Part of it, and all other the Appurtenances, late
belonging to the Monastery of Wellebeck, Nov. 22, 38 H. 8. (fn. 25) was granted to John
Bellowe, and Robert Bigot, named in Coleston, with that Rectory, &c. And with Mr.
Whalley's Part of Carcolston, became the Possession of William Earl of Newcastle,
whose Trustee, Sir John Harpur, of Swarkeston, conveyed the Reversion of it after
his Decease, to John Story, of Kneveton, and his Heirs.
(fn. 26) The Vicarage of Flintham was 8l. when the Abbat of Wellebeck was Patron. 'Tis
now 6l. 3s. 4d. in the King's Books, and Trinity College Patrons.
In the Church south Aisle, upon an old low Stone Tomb, an Effigies of a Knight,
and on his Shield, a Lion passant Gardant upon a Fesse, with a small Cressent before
In a south Window, Arg. a Fesse between six Martlets, sable, and in several other
(fn. 27) On the Wall was painted, Arg. on a Fesse sable, a Lion passant gard. of the first
In the Windows were, Arg. upon a Fesse Gules, three Waterbougets Arg. perhaps
Arg. a Chief Gules, a Bend over Azure, Crumwell.
Arg. three Bends Gules, Byron.
Hic jacet Radulphus Prudhom fil. Richardi Prudhom, qui ob. 5 Sept. Anno 1470.
Hic jacet Agneta Prudhom filia ejusdem Richardi, quæ ob. 28 Maii 1471, upon the
LORDSHIP was inclosed about sixteen years since, owned partly by Thomas Thoroton, Esq. "Flintham-Hall, in the reign of Elizabeth, was the seat of Hose, or
Hussey, afterwards of Hacker and Woodhouse, from whom it came to the family of
Disney, and is now the property of Lewis Disney Fytch, Esq. of Danbury-Place, in
Essex, to whom also belongs a great part of that fine planted cliff, in this parish, which
adjoins to the Trent, and constitutes the most beautiful part of the greatly admired ride
between Newark and Nottingham, and was the subject of Bishop Corbett's verse in his
Iter Boreale." (fn. 28) — Tibbet, of London, Esq. owns a portion which was formerly in
the hands of Major Godolphin.
At Flintham, which stands near to the great Fosse-Road, have been found urns, and
The church, which is dedicated to St. Augustin, has a square tower, with 4 bells, a
nave, and side aisle, and is decently pewed. In the south cross-aisle, lays the crosslegged figure represented by Thoroton, called old Butler. It is now very imperfect,
its legs are nearly destroyed, and in other parts it has suffered materially.
A monument, in the chancel, remembers Richard Hacker, who formerly inhabited
here. He was born in 1584, and died in 1654. A descendant of his, Robert Hacker,
founded a school here by his will, in 1729: he died at the age of 78.
John Fernhough, Vicar, died in 1742. John Wakefield, Vicar, died in 1785'
Here you have some fine views of Belvoir-Castle.
Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge.—Incumbent, Rev. John Davis. Bacon says,
clear yearly value 32l. 0s. 0d. King's books, 6l. 2s. 6d. Archiepisc. pro Syn. 4s.
Archidiac. pro Prox. 7s. 6d. Val. in Mans. cum. gleb. ibid per ann. 2l. Dec. lan. agr.
proc. anc. pullin. canab. &c.