PARISH OF HAUGHTON-LE-SKERNE.
The Parish of Haughton-le-Skerne is bounded by Aycliffe, Stainton, and Bishopton on the North, by Long-Newton on the East, by Dinsdale on the South-east, by Hurworth on the South, by Darlington on the West, and by Heighington on the North-west.
This extensive Parish includes eight Constableries: 1. Haughton; 2. Great Burdon; 3. Little Burdon; 4. Barmpton (and Skirmingham); 5. Whessoe and Beaumont-hill; 6. Sadberge (fn. 1) ; 7. Morton (fn. 1) ; 8. Cotham-Mundeville (fn. 1) , including Greystones and Humbleton.
Scarcely two miles to the North-east of Darlington, a pleasant scattered village, on a dry gravelly soil, near the Skerne.
No great integral manor appears at any time in Haughton; the lands have been always held in various proportions immediately under the Bishop.
Boldon Book—Magna Halghton: the villans hold nine oxgangs, and pay for each oxgang 12d. rent; and for each oxgang the tenant harrows wheat four days, mows two days, and leads hay one day with one wain, and the same service in corn-harvest; and from the Feast of St. Peter ad Vincula to Martinmas the tenant of each oxgang works for the lord two days the first week, and one day the second week, and tills four portions in autumn and harrows half an acre, and harrows one day with one horse, and threshes half a chalder of wheat, and carries one wain load of wood (wodlade) et facet summagia; and such are the rents and services till the Bishop chose otherwise to dispose.
Gilbert holds forty acres for 2s. rent, in exchange for the land which his father held in drengage, and which he quitclaimed for the same forty acres and four marks which the Bishop gave him; he ought to assist at the autumn tillage, and to serve on embassies. The son of Aldred holds forty acres (by exactly a similar exchange). Walter son of Sigge, holds two oxgangs of thirty-six acres for 12s. rent, quamdiu Episc. placuerit. Richard Dune holds thirty-seven acres de Foresta, and pays the first year 4s. The wife of Aldred three acres, de Elemosina Episcopi. Ten cottagers pay 5s. 6d. and each gives the lord nine days' work in a year, and works at the autumn tillage and in hay-harvest. Walter de Haleton is farmer of the demesne, with a stock of four ploughs and four harrows, and with the sown land as is contained in his indenture (fn. 2) , and with the Grange, and ox-house, and close-court (fn. 3) , and pays twenty marks; two tofts are in the Bishop's hands.
Parva Halghton: Five tenants hold each a toft and croft, and eight acres, and pay 5s. 6d.; and on another score (ex alia parte?) they pay one mark for forty acres. Adam de Selby holds the demesne on farm, with a stock of two ploughs and two harrows, and with the sown land, sicut in cirografo; with the Grange and fold-yard (curia clausa?) and pays eight marks: and he shall provide the Bishop's litter (fn. 4) when he journeys by Derlyngton; and he shall keep the Bishop's manor-house and court of Derlyngton, and whatsoever matters are brought thither, at his own charges, in consideration of a certain cultivated field called Hacdale, in Derlyngton-field (fn. 5) , opposite the manor-house, across the water to the North. The pasture, with the sheep, is reserved in the Bishop's hands;
but Adam, if he will, may keep a hundred sheep there as long as he is farmer of the demesne. Burdon-mill pays for the mill-pool (fn. 6) , which is on Houghton land, 12s.
Hatfield's Survey divides the subject into, 1. Free-tenants; 2. Bond-tenants; 3. Tenants of the Demesne; 4. Cottagers.
Free-tenants. Robert Plomer a messuage and two oxgangs by foreign service and 2s. John Ingilby a messuage and two oxgangs by knight's service, and the thirteenth part multure, and one messuage by the same services, and 6d. William Walworth, Chivaler, a messuage and oxgang, 6s. John of Morton and his parceners, an oxgang, 2s. Richard le Scrop, Chivaler, holds the manor of Little Haughton, and pays at St. Cuthbert's Day in September, 6d. or a pair of spurs. Of the Prior of Durham for Burdon Mill-dam, 12s.—Bond-tenants. William Donkan two messuages and two oxgangs, each of fifteen acres (the terms exactly as in Boldon Buke, but more expressly), facit summagia per librum de Boldon; and he shall carry timber for building and repairing the manor-mill, and shall make the walls and cover in the mill, and buy and carry the millstones, and clean the mill-dam and mill-race (fn. 7) ; and he pays one hen at the Nativity, and one hen to the Punder of Derlyngton. Six other bond-tenants hold six messuages and oxgangs by the same rents and services. All the bonds pay in lieu of work, at St. Michael, only 8s. each, that is, lxxiis. and for woodlades at St. John's Day 2s. 3d. for toll of ale 4s. and for the common bakehouse 2s.—Demesne-lands. Hugh de Westwyk, Chaplain, holds seventy-two acres three roods of the demesne, and pays 51s.; he used to pay 79s. The same Hugh holds half the manor of Haughton, called Rewmond, for 6l. 13s. 8d. The other half is in the hands of the Bishop, and the Bailiff of Darlington reckons for it in his account. The said manor contains eight carucates, and each carucate is sixscore acres, worth a groat an acre; and nine acres of meadow in Halekeld-holm, which used to be sold (i. e. the hay ?) for 46s. 8d. are in the hands of the Bailiff of Derlington, who accounts for them.—Cottagers. Cecily Dyceonwyf a cottage and croft of three roods, once of William de Camera, 19d.; and for an intake to a toft now in her hand, 18d. in lieu of works (which are described as in Boldon Buke). Eight other cottagers hold on the same conditions. Master Hugh Westwyk holds Calf-greene, half an acre, 12d. Agris de Quessowe a plot of meadow, once of Walter, son of the Headborough, 2d. There is a common forge let to a certain smith for 8s. ideo inquir.
Thus the manor was gradually assuming its modern appearance. The personal services of the bond-tenants were commuted for monied rents, and various freeholds arose by charter, or by tacit permission.
The Inglebys (fn. 8) (already mentioned under Hurworth) held lands for several descents, originally, it should seem, acquired by a Rector of Haughton (fn. 9) . The Wakerfields held lands under the Inglebys by the service of a red rose on St. John the Baptist's Day (fn. 10) . The Graystanes (fn. 11) (owners of a neighbouring manor) also held a freehold; and some small portions belonged to the Earls of Warwick, and afterwards to the Earls of Westmoreland.
A Decree for the inclosure of waste lands within Haughton was obtained in the Bishop's Court, 9 April 1666.
Pedigree of Gyll, of Haughton-le-Skerne.
Arms: Sable, a pale between four fleurs de lis Or.
Crest: On a wreath, the head of an Eastern King, couped at the shoulders, in profile proper, crowned and collared, a chain passing from the rim of the crown behind to the back of the collar, Or.
Mr. James Gill, advena, sepult. Oct. 19, 1622, St. Margaret's.
Mr. Thomas Gyll, vulgo dictus de Barton, 31 Aug. 1631, St. Mary's.
John Gyll and Margaret Jenison, Mar. 27 Feb. 1594, Sg. Mary-le-Bow.
Mrs. Gill, wife of Mr. John Gill, bur. Feb. 6, 1619–20.
* John Gyll, Gent. “being at Wandsford Brigg, co. Northampton. My lands in Haughton to my son John Gyll; 200l. to son Thomas; to son Clement 200l.; to dau.Mary; to son Thomas my books and a goulde ring wh Sergeant Davenport gave him.”
† Haughton Par. Reg.
‡ Clement Gill, will dated 21 March 1631 :—“To the Mercers' Company of Durham a silver bowle; to his brother Thomas Gill, of London; to his uncle Hugh Walton.”
Little Haughton was granted by Bishop Hugh (perhaps after the date of Boldon Book) to William, son of William, son of the King Stephen.
Hugo, Dei gra. Dunelm. Ep'us Baronib', Militib', et omnib' hominib' totius Ep'atus sui Francis et Anglis Salt'm. Sciatis nos concessisse et p'senti karta confirmasse Wiltelmo filio Witti filii Regis Steplii, pro humagio et servitio suo parvam halctonam cum omnib', &c. habendam, &c. per liberum servitium quinte partis feudi unius militis. Quare volumus et firmiter p'cipimus q'd p'dictus Wittus predictam terram habeat et teneat libere qũete et honorifice, sicut aliquis Baronum nostrorum aliquam terram in Ep'atu n'ro liberius quietius et honorabilius tenet. T. Henrico de Puteaco, Gileberto de Leya, Philippo de Colewilla, Henrico de Ferlinton, Gileberto Camerario, Marmaduc de Arel. Adam de Aldham, et multis aliis (fn. 12) .
Richard le Scrop, who held Little Halghton under Hatfield's Survey by sixpence or a pair of spurs, died in 1403 (fn. 13) , leaving another Richard (son of Roger le Scrop, his grandson and heir). The Inquest on this younger Richard Lord Scrope, of Bolton, states the manor of Little Halghton to contain thirty oxgangs, each of fifteen acres, and each worth 9s. 9d. obol. per annum. The tenure is stated to be by knight's service, suit of court once in a fortnight, and a pair of spurs at the Nativity of St. John the Baptist (fn. 14) , or 3s. 4d. The manor rested in the Lords Scrope of Bolton, till the reign of Elizabeth (fn. 15) , and seems to have been alienated to Thomas Pudsay, of Barford, Esq. who married Elizabeth, sister of the last Henry Lord Scrope of Bolton. 20 April, 24 Eliz. William Pudsey, of Barford, Esq. conveyed the three West Closes in Haughton-field to John Barnes, Clerk, Rector of Haughton. 28 April, the same year, William Pudsey, of Bowlton, nigh Bolland, Esq. grants to George Pudsey, of Walworth, Gent. his messuage of Haughton-field (fn. 16) . 23 Jan. 32 Eliz. 1590, George Pudsey, of Stapleton, Esq. and William Pudsey, of Moor-closes, Gent. grant to John Barnes, Clerk, Lingey-field and West-field (formerly demised by Thomas Pudsey, Esq. father of William) to Henry Lawson, of Nesham, Esq. (fn. 17) 6 June, 29 Eliz. George Pudsey, of Stapleton-on-Tees, Gent. to John Barnes his chief messuage in Haughton-field (fn. 18) . John Barnes, Clerk, (Rector of Haughton and brother of Bishop Barnes,) died in 1590 (fn. 19) seised of Haughton-field in 1590, leaving two daughters his coheirs, Anne, wife of William Place, Gent. who died without issue, and Margery (fn. 20) , who married William Lambton, of Stainton, Esq. (fn. 21) William Lambton, son and heir of Margery, died without issue, leaving two sisters his coheirs, of whom Anne, the elder, married Nicholas Chaytor, Esq. (father of Sir William Chaytor, Bart.) and Margaret was the wife of John Killinghall, Esq. Sir William Chaytor, Bart. and William Killinghall, Esq. were owners of Haughton-field in 1685; but I am unable to trace the subsequent descent of the property.
The common fields in Haughton Township were divided under a Decree in 1666. The Bishop had a parcel assigned him, called Dickon's Parrock, 1 acre 1 rood 17 perches, in lieu of his waste, and the Rector had the East and West Holmes, Houndwell, Wetings, and Burdonbriggs-close, twenty-eight acres, in lieu of thirty-six cattle-gates (fn. 22) .
In 1684 the freeholders within Haughton Township were, Sir William Chaytor, Bart. and William Killinghall, Esq. Haughton-field; Thomas Birbecke, Gent. in Westmoreland; John Warcopp, Gent. in Yorkshire; Sir John Lowther, Bart. in Westmoreland; Christopher Dickon, Thomas Dickon, of London; and Thomas Dickon the younger (fn. 23) . (Lowther's estate was probably Beamond-hill, then included in Haughton Constablery.)
Is a plain spacious structure, consisting of a chancel, nave without ailes, and a West Tower. The chancel opens under a circular arch; the lights are irregular (fn. 24) , some single and pointed, others double or treble lights under square labels. The whole of the interior is handsomely stalled with oak, and there is a gallery at the West end of the nave (fn. 25) .
On a brass:
Under thys sto' iyeth Dame Elsabeth Danton, Prioris of the Sainct John. Jesu have mercie.
On a brass, with the figure of a female bearing an infant on each arm:
Dorothey, daughter of Richard Chomeley, esquire, the third sonne to Sir Richard Chomeley, knight, late wife of Robert Parkinson, of Whessey, Gent. Departed this life the 19th of July 1592, and Lyeth Buryed Neare this place with her two twins, Richard Parkinson and Marmaduke Parkinson, sonnes of the said Robert and Dorothey.
Conjvgi Filiisq. Chariss. Pater Conjunnq. Mœstiss. Posuit.
On a brass plate formerly fixed to the wall:
Here Lyeth she, whose birth, whose life, whose end,
Doe all in one hir happy state com'end;
Hir birth was worshippfull of gentle bloode,
Hir virtuous life still praised for doeing goode;
Hir godly death a heavenly life hath gained,
Which never can by death or sinn be stained.
In hoc Adyto
Reliquias suas requiescere voluit
Carolus Morgan, A. M.
Ecclesiæ Dunelm. Prebendarius,
et hujusce Parochiæ Rector,
ob. vi Cal. Julii mdcclxiv.
On a flat stone in the nave:
As thou art I once was. As I am thou shalt be. Judg therefor thyself, lest thou be judged of the Lord; and whilest thou mayest liv shew thy conversion.
Here lyeth the body of John Gill, of Haughton, Gent. who dyed the 5th day of December, A. D. 1662.
Arms: Gill, impaling Middleton.
On a flat stone in the floor of the chancel:
Here lies interred the body of Lodowick Hall, Esq. who departed this life the 12th of August 1717, in the 61st year of his age (fn. 26) . Also, the body of Elizabeth Hall, his relict, and widow of William Sleigh, of Darlington, who departed this life the 21st of June 1738, in the 63d year of her age (fn. 27) .
On a flat stone near the former:
Here lies the body of Carleton Carr, Esquire, of Haughton, in the county of Durham, who departed this life the 13th day of March, Anno Dom. 1746-7, in the 65th year of his age. He was the 5th son of Robert Carr, of Biddic, Esquire, in the said county, and dying without issue, the family is extinct (fn. 28) . Also, Mrs. Elizabeth Alexander, widow of the above Carleton Carr. She afterwards married Philip Bendlowes, Esquire, and died 21st June 1790, aged 90 years.
Arms: Or, on a bend between three Cornish choughs Sable three pards' heads erased of the first, Carr, impaling, Azure, a chief Argent; over all a lion rampant.
On a marble tablet fixed to the South wall of the chancel:
In memory of Lætitia Rudd, daughter of John Arden, Esq. of Harden, Master of Arts, in the county of Chester, and of Pepper Hall, in the county of York, and relict of the Rev. Edward Rudd, Master of Arts, and Rector of this parish. She died 14th May 1806, aged 60 years.
Against the outward wall of the church, near the South porch:
Hic juxta, reliquæ honorandi et reverendi Ricardi Byron, hujus Ecclesiæ haud pridem Rectoris resurrectionis spe freti requiescunt vita dicessit, Nov. 5, Anno Salutis 1811, ætatis suæ 87.
On an altar-tomb near the East wall of the chancel:
Sacred to the memory of the Reverend
who died March 21st, 1795,
aged 80 years.
On a headstone near the above:
Mrs. Anne Lomax, widow of Mr. Lomax, of Brecknock, in South Wales, and a near relation of the Rev. William Vaughan, Rector of this Parish; was buried August 19th, 1790, aged 75.
On an altar-tomb:
Under this stone lies interred the body of William Waistell, who died Nov. 5, 1705, aged 77 years. Also, Jane his wife, who died May the 20th, 1728, aged 51 years. And Ann, their eldest daughter, who died Jan. 26th, 1778, aged 73 years; and John, their third, and Benjamin their youngest son, who died infants in the year 1723. Also, beneath this stone, the remains of Robert Wastell, their eldest son, who died Jan. 4, 1800, aged 82.
On another altar-tomb:
Near this stone are interred the three children of William and Jane Waistell, of Great Burdon. Jane, their first born, died 21st Dec. 1754, in her 7th year. William, their only son, died 27th Jan. 1759, in his 6th year; and Elizabeth, their youngest daughter, the 15th of May 1771, in her 16th year (fn. 29) . William Wastell, died 5th July 1788, in the 80th year of his age. Also, Jane his wife, Feb. 1, 1790, in her 65th year.
On another stone:
Jane, daughter of Robert and Jane Wastell, of Arley-hill, ob..... 1789. Thomas, their son, æt. 7, 1796. Isabel, their daughter, 14 Nov. 1800.
On an altar-tomb West of the church:
Abraham Hilton, ob. 11th April 1778, ætat. 57. Elizabeth Hilton, ob. 28th Dec. 1788, ætat. 70.
On other stones:
Jonathan Middleton, late of Denton, departed this life the 17th of December 1799, aged 75 years. Mary his wife, died July 14, 1803, aged 74 years.
Anne, late wife of Ralph Robson, of Stappleton, March 10, 1756, aged 77.
Robert, son of Robert and Anne Claxton, ob. 4 Aug. 1794, aged 9 years.
Succession of Rectors.
Haughton Rectory, in the Deanery of Darlington.—The Bishop of Durham Patron.—King's Books, 53l. 6s. 8d.; Tenths, 5l. 6s. 8d.; Episc. Proc. 1l.; Synodal. 11s.; Archid. 4s.—Dedication to St. Andrew.
- Walter Persona de Halcton (fn. 30) .
- Ruffinus Vercellensis, 1234.
- Stephen de Malolacu (fn. 31) , occurs 1311.
- John Giffard.
- Ralph de Askeby, 1353, p. m. Giffard.
- Henry de Ingleby (fn. 32) , 1354, p. res. Askeby.
- John atte Lee, 1375, p. m. Ingleby.
- George Radcliff, 1381, p. m. Lee.
- William Hull, 1390, p. m. Radcliff.
- William de Walworth, occurs 1391.
- John de Newton, 1408, p. m. Walworth.
- Thomas Leyes (fn. 33) , 1410, p. res. Newton.
- George Radcliff, 1415, p. res. Leyes.
- Edward Clarton (fn. 34) , oc. 16 Jan. 1450.
- Hugh Snell, LL.D. 1470, p. m. Clarton.
- John Lake, alias Everden.
- Richard Penymaster, occ. 1492.
- Robert Chambers (fn. 35) , Chaplain, id. ann.
- Thomas Barrett, LL.D. 1519, p. m. Chambers.
- John Tunstall, 12 Dec. 1534, p. res. Barrett.
- Ralph Dickon (fn. 36) .
- John Barnes (fn. 37) , July 1578.
- Robert Hutton, S. T. P. (fn. 38) 1590, p. m. Barnes.
- Henry Ewbanke, A. M. (fn. 39) , 1625, p. m. Hutton.
- Lawrence Hinton, A. B. 19 Dec. 1629, p. m. Ewbanke.
- Eleazer Duncan, S. T. P. (fn. 40) 10 April 1633, p. m. Hinton.
- Richard Battersby, an Intruder.
- John March, A.M. (fn. 41) 25 Sept. 1661.
- Richard Belasyse, A. M. (fn. 42) 24 Sept. 1680, p. m. March.
- Joseph Butler, B. C. L. (fn. 43) 1721, p. m. Belasyse.
- Henry Thorpe, A. M. 1725, p. res. Butler.
- Chas. Morgan, A. M. Ch. Ch. 1764, p. m. Thorpe.
- Edward Rudd, A. M. (fn. 44) 14 August 1764, p. m. Morgan.
- William Vaughan, A. M. p. m. Rudd.
- Hon. Richard Byron, A. M. (fn. 45) Ch. Ch. 1795, p. m. Vaughan.
- Charles Plumptre, B. D. (fn. 46) Queen's Coll. Cambr. p. m. Byron.
- Thomas Le Mesurier, A. M. New College, Oxon. p. m. Plumptre.
The Parsonage, a spacious convenient double house, with a good garden, stands a little to the North-west of the Church, sheltered on the South and West by a shrubbery and forest trees (fn. 47) .
The glebe consists of 249 acres 2 roods and 1 perch, of which the greatest part lies in Haughton township; four closes of rich land adjoin the Rectory on the North, nineteen acres; on one of these is a hinds' house, barn, fold-yard, and stabling. Across the road are five fields more; and to the South of the Church meadows and other lands of good quality. A farm, called the Moor Farm, lies towards Whessoe, at the extremity of the township. The rest of the glebe is partly in Coatham, eighteen acres and one rood, and partly in Sadberge, forty-two acres two roods.
The Rector is generally entitled to tithes, excepting that the townships of Barmton (fn. 48) , Sadberge, Coatham, and Morton, pay moduses respectively for hay of 4s. 6d., 18s. 8d., 1l., and 5s. Whessoe pays a modus of 1l. for corn and hay. High and Low Beamont Hill for corn and hay 3l. 4s.; and Graystones and Humbleton for corn and hay, 1l. 13s. 4d. (all these pay small tithes in kind). There are portions of tithes received from the townships of Cockerton and Darlington; but these are very inconsiderable. There is a prescriptive payment out of the Rectory of Haughton to the Rector of Long-Newton (fn. 49) of 8s. and another of 1l. 8s. at Pentecost to the Rector of Egglescliffe. The Rector has a copyhold manor extending over a part of the township of Haughton. The tenure is very simple, the house or land passing merely by entry in the book of the manor with the consent of the Rector, testified by his signature (fn. 50) : the quit-rents are trifling, about 3l. 11s. per ann. for the whole (fn. 51) .
A small neat village, half a mile to the North-east of Haughton, with a bridge of one arch over the Skerne.
Burdon was one of the villages which Henry I. restored to the Church of Durham (fn. 52) , with Carleton and Heaclif; and it is also included in Bishop Ralph Flambard's charter of restitution (fn. 53) .
The Treasury contains numerous early transactions betwixt the Church and their tenants of Burdon. The whole vill seems, like Barmton and Skirmingham, to have been granted out under reserved rents assigned to the Almoner. The effect of a few of the early charters shall be briefly stated.
Roger, son of Zacharias or Akaris de Burdon, grants to St. Cuthbert and to the Almoner of the House of Durham two oxgangs which Ralph de Multon held. The same Roger, son of Akaris (fn. 54) , grants to William Bretton his whole vill of Burdon, with the mill, demesne, services, and neifs, subject to 10s. rent to the Prior. The next charter explains, that Roger shall retain his mansion, dominicum toftum, as it stands, enclosed with a fosse extending to the water of Skerne. Stephen de Cantuaria grants to St. Cuthbert Milnflatt, and Gretheberi, and Grikeleker. Prior Bertram and the Convent grant to William, son of Roger de Burdon the two oxgangs which Roger, son of Zacharias, had given to the Church, to hold for ever, under 5s. rent. After the commencement of the Durham Chancery Rolls, various estates occur, all held under the Prior. Eustacia, daughter of William de Mondeville, grants a messuage and two oxgangs to William de Walworth j; and Agnes, daughter of Gilbert de Burdon, releases to Thomas de Walworth, son and heir of William, all claim in two messuages and four oxgangs, 13 Aug. 1359 (fn. 55) . Olivia, widow of William de Walworth, died seised of the same lands, held of the Prior by 6s. 8d. (fn. 56) The same parcels were held by Goceline Surteys in 1367 (fn. 57) , and by Sir Thomas Surteys in 1435 (fn. 58) . The Inglebys (already mentioned under Haughton and Hurworth) held a messuage and three oxgangs of the Prior by 12d. and a pound of cumin (fn. 59) . The Nevils also held some parcels (fn. 60) .
The only freeholders named in Great Burdon in 1684 were, Anthony Garmonsway; — Husband, widow, at Darlington; and John Hall, Gent. at Durham. Little Burdon, Richard Nelthorpe, Esq.
Little Burdon, further to the East, midway betwixt Haughton and Sadberge. The estate belonged to the Nuns of Nesham at least before the time of Bishop Richard Poor (fn. 61) , 1226. At the Dissolution their rents here were valued at cvs. iiiid. By letters patent, 1 Sept. 32 Henry VIII. 1540, the King granted to James Lawson, of Newcastle, merchant (inter alia) all that Grange of Little Burdon: “totam Grangiam nostram cum omnibus, &c. in tenura dicti Jacobi Lawson, scituat. jacen. et existen. in Little Burdon dicto nuper monasterio dudum spectantem, &c. ac omnia, domos, edificia, &c. ac omnes et omnimodas decimas granorum, et alias decimas quascunque, de, in, et super Grangia predicta, et ceteris premissis, &c. crescentes, provenientes, et renovantes (fn. 62) .” In 1600, 1 April, 42 Eliz. Henry and James Lawson granted their lands and tithes of Little Burdon, parcel of the dissolved Monastery of Nesham, to Henry Stapleton and Mary his wife (fn. 63) , who granted the same estate in 1622 to Sir Henry Constable, Viscount of Dunbar. The estate afterwards belonged to — Nelthorpe, of Norfolk, Esq. on whose attainder for high treason in 168.. Bishop Crewe seized the estate as a forfeiture, and granted it on trust to his steward, Edward Arden, Esq.; but Nelthorpe's attainder being reversed under King William, Lord Crewe was obliged to restore the lands, with the arrears of rent. In 1720 (fn. 64) James Nelthorpe, Esq. conveyed Little Burdon to William Davison, of Beamish, Esq. whose son, Morton Davison, settled this estate on his nephew Sir John Eden, Bart. with remainder to Morton Eden, now Morton Davison, of Beamish, Esq. (fn. 65)
A small hamlet, with rich low lands on the Skerne.
The Convent of Durham were the superior lords of Bermeton and Skirmingham at a very early date. Two curious charters relative to these estates remain in the Treasury: 1. A charter of Henry Prince of Scotland and Earl of Northumberland (before 1152), ordering William his Chancellor, and Osbert his Sheriff, that the Monks of St. Cuthbert should have their vills of Bermeton and Scirningeham as freely as they held them the day that Henry King of England was alive and dead; or the day that himself (Prince Henry) received the Earldom of Northumberland. 2. The charter of Nigel de Albeini, addressed to William his brother, and dated from his death-bed, commanding restitution to the Monks of Durham of the lands which Walthef, son of Alsi, held of Nigel, beyond the Tees, viz. Bermentun and Scrimingeham (fn. 66) . The Convent leased out Bermeton for a monied rent, which in time became insignificant compared with the value of the land; and subject to this out-rent, the estate became a free manor, and has so continued. In 1312 Bermeton was divided in three several holdings; for the Prior grants to Walter Gylet a third part of the manor, under 11s. 2d. rent (fn. 67) , which was a third of the ancient fee farm of the whole vill, with a covenant not to distrain whilst sufficient distress may be found in the other two thirds, which were in the seisin of Lucas Taylboys, William de Skirmingham, and Robert de Lumley. In 1392 this third is stated (in the Inquest on Roger Gelet) to consist of seven tenements and eleven oxgangs, each of fifteen acres, held of the Prior by 11s. 2d. (fn. 68) In 1403 John Gelett the elder (brother and heir of William) sold his chief messuage of Bermeton Gelet, fifteen oxgangs and fifteen cottages, to Henry Lord Percy, son of Henry Earl of Northumberland, Adam Sparawe, Esq. and Adam Winship and Robert Loblay, Chaplains. Henry, son of Henry Earl of Northumberland had livery of lands in Bermeton in 1499; and the same lands were included in a recovery by Christopher Urswicke and others against Henry and Katharine, Earl and Countess of Northumberland in 1518 (fn. 69) . As late as 1615, 31 July, 13 Jac. Sir William Hewytt, Knt. and John Hewytt, acquired by fine of Henry Earl of Northumberland, one messuage, two tofts, and gardens, one orchard, 100 acres arable, 60 meadow, 150 pasture, 20 wood, &c. in Bermeton and Haughton. As to the two thirds vested in Taylboys, Skirmingham, and Lumley (fn. 70) :—In 1381 Robert Lumley held two messuages and five oxgangs of Walter Tailbois. Other lands were held by subinfeudation under Skirmingham. In 1350 John of Bermeton (who was heir to his brother Thomas fil. Walter de Bermeton) held a messuage and three oxgangs of the lady of Skirmingham by fealty and half a mark, leaving Peter his kinsman and heir (fn. 71) . In 1367 Goceline Surtees held the same lands of the Prior. In 1397 William de Wakerfeld held a messuage and thirty-one acres of Thomas Colvile, Knt. by knight's service and suit of court (fn. 72) . In 1391 Isabel, Lady of Skirmingham, died seised of four messuages and seven oxgangs in Bermeton: her heir was Joan, daughter of Thomas de Eshe (fn. 73) . In the latter family, whose descent has been already traced (vol. II. p. 336), one chief portion at least of the manor of Bermeton, centered and passed by Margaret, daughter of Anthony Eshe (fn. 74) , to William Smyth, of Nunstainton, whose lineal descendant, Sir Edward Smythe, Bart. (fn. 75) sold this portion of the estate to Major-General John Lambton, whose grandson J. G. Lambton, Esq. M. P. is the present proprietor. Another portion of Barmton belongs to the Rev. Robert Croft, and — Thoroton, Esq. derived, I believe, from Bowes, of Thornton, who probably purchased from Salkeld.
Some portions of the estate vested in Smyth by purchase. 5 Aug. 1556, Robert Barmston grants lands to Edward Perkinson, of Beamond-hill. 28 Aug. 18 Eliz. Henry Perkinson (son and heir of Edward) conveys a messuage and three oxgangs, once Robert
Barmton's, to Thomas Moorie. 3 Aug. 10 Jac. Thomas Moorie sold to Sir Henry Guildford, Knt. trustee for Smythe. 1 July, 22 Eliz. John Eure, Esq. sold some parcels to Nicholas and Robert Leadome, who conveyed 1 Aug. 9 Jac. to Sir Henry Guildford and Sir Robert Metham, Knts. also trustees for Smythe.
In 1684 the freeholders within the Constablery were, Sir Francis Salkeld, of Cumberland, Knt. (Skirmingham); Sir Edward Smythe, Bart. in Shropshire; Robert Ellison, of Hebborne, Esq. Ello-hill; and George Emerson, Gent. of Lumley (fn. 76) .
After the charters of Prince Henry and of Nigil de Albeini (fn. 77) , Skirmingham is not named till 1390, when Isabel, Lady of Skirmingham, died seised of half the manor in fee by descent from her father William, and of the other half for term of life, by grant of Thomas de Eshe, leaving Joan of Eshe, daughter of the same Thomas, her heir, aged eleven years (fn. 78) . Joan had three husbands (fn. 79) ; but her issue was extinguished in her grandchildren, and the whole inheritance went under entail to a distant branch of the family of Eshe, who held Skirmingham till the extinction of male issue in Anthony Eshe, 1540 (fn. 80) . His elder daughter Elizabeth was the wife of Thomas Norton, who seems to have had Skirmingham in partition, by indenture with Smythe (fn. 81) . Norton was attainted after the rebellion of the Northern Earls; and by Letters Patent, 20 June, 15 Eliz. 1573, the Queen granted to Ralph Taylboys, Esq. all that manor and chief messuage of Skirmingham, late of Thomas Norton, Esq. to hold in common socage of the manor of East Greenwich, under a fee-farm rent of 6l. 13s. 4d. and subject to 3l. 6s. 8d. out-rent to the Dean and Chapter of Durham. Taylboys purchased in trust for the family of the ancient owner; and in 1597, Robert Tailbois, of Thornton, re-conveyed the estate to Thomas Norton the younger (fn. 82) . By Ind. 1 May, 4 Jac. 1606, the same Thomas Norton, Dorothy his wife, Elizabeth Taylboys his mother, and Elizabeth his only daughter, granted the manor of Skirmingham for 1,700l. to Stephen Hales, of Gray's Inn, Esq. and William Fearne, of Lincoln's Inn, Esq. on trust for Richard Madocks, citizen and goldsmith (fn. 83) , who in 1611 devised to his elder son, William Madocks, who died in 1615, leaving Rowland his brother and heir (fn. 84) . Some portion of the estate passed in another channel. By fine 4 Jac. 1606, William and Anthony Porter, Gents. and Nicholas Salkeld, Gent. acquired from Thomas Norton, Esq. Skirmingham Water-mill and seventy acres of meadow. Sir Francis Salkeld, Knt. was a proprietor in 1684.
3 Aug. 16 Jac. 1618, Robert Hutton, S. T. P. took by fine of Edmund Withes and Elinor his wife, Charles Withes and Dorothy his wife, a messuage and several parcels in Elley-hill and Out Skirmingham. Dr. Hutton died seised of the same estate (parcel of the manor of Skirmingham) in 1623 (fn. 85) , leaving Thomas Hutton, Gent. his son and heir. At present Skirmingham is the estate of Robert Hutton, of Sobergate, in Yorkshire, Esq. Elleyhill belongs to Charles Bacon, of Styford, in Northumberland, Esq.
Whessoe and Beaumond-Hill.
Whessoc lies to the West of the great road, and Beaumond-hill on rising ground to the East.
Boldon Book.—In Quosshur there are fourteen oxgangs; the tenant of each oxgang pays 12d. and works for the lord one day in every week, and mows the lord's meadows three days, and tills four portions in autumn with the whole family, except the huswife; and for every plough he ploughs and harrows an acre and a half; and the tenant of each oxgang leads one wain load of wood, et facit summagia. Toke holds two oxgangs and pays 8s. and tills four porcations, and serves on embassies. Orm, his brother, holds two oxgangs and pays 5s. and tills four portions, and works thirteen days in harvest, and serves on embassies. Robert fil. Meldred (fn. 86) holds one carucate, and pays 10s. 8d. and tills four portions with all his men, except the huswife in each family, and except his own proper household; and he, or some one for him, shall be on the spot and look to the autumnal tillage; his men plough and harrow one acre and a half; and Robert Fitz Meldred feeds a dog and horse (for the Bishop's chace), and performs utware, as much as belongs to the service of one dreng, and finds four oxen to carry the Bishop's wine. A certain widow holds a toft and croft, pays 6d. and provides six days' work (in the year), and tills four porcations.
Hatfield's Survey.—Bond Tenants. Four men hold four messuages, and eleven oxgangs and one plot (placeam), by foreign service and annual rents. John Shepherd holds three messuages and four oxgangs (exactly as the services of fourteen oxgangs in Boldon Book), and does like services at the mill as the tenants of Halghton; and all these services he commutes for 5s. 8d. rent, plus inter omnes 1d. prœter wodlades, in all 26s. 8d. Five other tenants six messuages and eleven oxgangs, eadem lege. The common brewery of the same vill pays 12d.. The tenants hold the common forge, 4d. They pay for woodlades at St. John's Day, 3s. 6d. The bond-tenants pay at the Nativity for wodsilver, 12d. and ten hens: and the Punder pays ten hens.—Cottagers. John Gellotson holds a cottage and croft, xvid. unless he prefers to perform the services (the widow's cottage, Boldon Book). Three others hold two tofts and a parcel (placeam) of the waste. The tenants hold a pasture called the Flasse, 8s.—Ancient Rents. Mem. The lands once of Robert Fitz Meldred, now in the tenure of John Redhode, are bound to perform, &c. (as in Boldon). William Queshowe tills four portions with all his house except the huswife, and serves on the Bishop's errands, ratione terrœ, &c. William Wakirfield tills two portions and serves on errands, as described in Boldon Book.
The whole vill of Whessoe is still, I believe, held under the See of Durham by lease or copy of court-roll. I have only to add, that Whessoe and Beaumond-hill were for some descents the seat of two families of Perkynson, branching from one stock (see the Pedigree); and that the family of Shepherd have also been ancient proprietors by court-roll in Whessoe (fn. 87) .
In 1597, 2 June, 39 Eliz. Henry Parkinson, Esq. (fn. 88) sold all his chief messuage of Beamond-hill (late belonging to Edward his father) to James Bellingham, of Levens, in Westmoreland, Esq. Sir John Lowther (the first Viscount Lonsdale) was owner of Beamond-hill in 1684.
Pedigree of Perkynson, of Beaumond-Hill and Whessoe.
Arms: Gules, a chevron Argent charged with three hearts inter three ostrich feathers.
“Affirmatur ab istis duobus Generosis qui præsentibus subscripserunt, et similiter Joh'es Fetherstonhaugh eodem die tunc præsens fatebatur, quendam de familia dicti Joh's Fetherstonbaugh, vocatum Perkin, habuisse filium vocatum Perkinson, de quo descendebant retinentes cognomina de Perkinson, et avitum cognomen de Fetherstonhaugh prorsus relinquentcs. Hiis testibus qui presentes turn fuerunt et hic in testimonium veritatis subscripserunt, 29o die Julii, Ao 1575. George Coughe, Anthony Hutton.”
Charitable Benefactions to the Parish of Haughton-le-Skerne.
Twenty shillings per ann. charged by the will of Thomas Barker, in 1686, on an estate in Newbiggin (in the parish of Bishopton) to be distributed at Easter to the poor of Haughton (fn. 89) .
Twenty-seven shillings per ann. charged on an estate in Sadberge, in the parish of Haughton. This estate belonged in 1789 to Mrs. Margaret Steele, of Long-Newton; but the payment of the rent-charge was discontinued in 1790, by Richard Steele, who succeeded his sister Margaret in the estate. A bill in Chancery was filed in 1795, at the relation of Miss Vaughan (niece of — Vaughan, Rector of Haughton,) to compel payment. Richard Steele died pending the proceedings, leaving an eldest son Francis Steele, a brewer at Rochdale (fn. 90) , who being out of the jurisdiction of the Durham Court of Chancery, the suit must be prosecuted, if at all, in London.
Nine shillings, charged on another estate in Sadberge, (the property, in 1789, of Elizabeth, widow of John Ward,) for the same purposes. Also, Elizabeth Ward charged for ever a field, called the Intack, containing seven acres (being parcel of a farm called the Moor, in the township of Haughton), with the yearly payment of 50s. whereof 26s. is directed to be laid out in bread, by 6d. in each week, and to be distributed to the poor in the Parish Church of Haughton every Sunday in the forenoon; and the remaining 24s. is to be distributed in money.
By will, bearing date 10 Feb. 1789, Mrs. Alexander bequeathed to the Rector and Churchwardens of the Parish of Haughton-le-Skerne, the sum of 40l. to be by them and their successors placed at interest, and such interest to be distributed on Christmas Day to such poor inhabitants as they shall in their discretion think objects of charity. For the application of this sum see below.
Sadberge.—A rent-charge of 1l. 14s. charged by the will of — Buck on lands in Sadberge, to be distributed to the poor not receiving parochial relief (fn. 91) . A rent-charge of 10s. given by the will of Thomas Barker, 1708, for the same purpose (fn. 91) .
The sum of 37l. given by deed of Francis Harrison, Mrs. Davison, Thomas Barker, and others in 1720; the interest to be distributed to the poor (fn. 92) .
Twenty pounds given by the will of the Rev. Matthew Soulby, 1759 (fn. 93) .
There was also a cottage belonging to the poor (the origin of the donation unknown), which was sold in 1786 for 14l. (fn. 93)
There are Schools both at Haughton and at Sadberge, both of them Day-schools as well as Sunday-schools; and the latter are attended by all the children who live within any convenient distance. The Day-school at Haughton was instituted by subscription about the year 1768; and with the help of 50l. from Lord Crewe's Trustees, a sum was raised of 145l. 15s. the interest of which was appropriated, with some addition from the Rector, to make up a salary of eight guineas to the schoolmaster. This sum, which before was left at interest in the Rector's hands, was in the year 1806 employed by the Parish, together with Mrs. Alexander's money, in building poor-houses for Haughton, on the Rector's waste and part of the glebe; and the township now pays from the poor-rates the annual sum due for the interest. But in the Jubilee year (Oct. 29, 1809,) the Sunday-school was established by subscription, with an addition to the salary of the master, as well as a salary to a schoolmistress. And in the year 1816 a commodious school-house, which was greatly wanted, was built by subscription, on the glebe by leave of the Bishop, including separate rooms for the boys and girls, and lodging-room for the master: and new arrangements having been made, and lower rates of payment for the poorer scholars at the Day-school, the salary has been further raised, for which it is hoped that the subscription of the resident parishioners will continue to provide.
The expence of building the school-house amounted to 368l. 17s. including fixtures. The principal subscribers were, the Bishop 50l.; the Diocesan Society for Parochial Schools 50l.; the Dean and Chapter of Durham 30l.; Lord Crewe's Trustees 30l.; the Rector 30l.; Mrs. Judith Dobree, an aunt of the Rector, 30l.; the Rev. Robert Croft, Residentiary of York Cathedral (having lands in Bampton) 20l.; Robert Surtees, of Mainsforth, Esq. proprietor of Greystones and Humbleton, 10l.; Mr. Waldy (who by his wife had inherited the Garmondsway property) 10l.; and the late Mr. Robert Colling 10l. An addition has lately been made to the schoolmaster's apartments, at an expense of 27l. 15s. given by Mrs. Judith Dobree and some others of the Rector's family. It is now a very comfortable habitation; and the present master has, with the leave of the Rector, converted a part of the wast enad glebe into a garden.
At Sadberge also there is a school, established in the year 1799. It was set forward by the wealthier inhabitants. The Bishop gave 20l. towards building a school-house, and 5l. yearly towards a Sunday-school; a sufficient salary was raised for the master, in addition to what he made by his scholars; and by the goal management of the Treasurers, especially the late Mr. William Richmond, savings have been made which it is to be hoped may be sufficient, with other helps, to support the establishment. The whole expense of the building was 63l. odd.
There is an annual donation of 5s. per ann. from Lord Crewe's Trustees, who also contributed to the building. Mrs. Judith Dobree has given 40l. the interest to be applied to the general expences. The Rector supplies all the books (fn. 94) .