Sutton Passeys

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John Throsby

Year published

1790

Pages

207-208

Citation Show another format:

'Sutton Passeys', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 2: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1790), pp. 207-208. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=76828 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

SUTTON PASSEYS.

Of the Taynland were two Mannors in Sutton, which before the Conquest Aluric and Brun held, rated for them to the Dane-geld at twelve bovats, and Vlsi then Lord of Dlaveston (fn. 1) (now Wollaton) in which the Soc lay, had one car. and an half for the Geld. The Land was three car. There was also in Sudtune Soc to Dlaveston of the Fee of William Peverel, which paid the Tax for twelve bovats. The Land three car, but was waste in the time of King William the Conquerour, as some other Lands of that Soc at that time were.

(fn. 2) Robert, son of Raph, and all his heirs, gave to God and the Church of the holy Trinity at Lenton, two bovats of Land [here]. One of them was that which Erchin held with a Toft, divided into three parts, the other was half a bovat, which Matthew held, but he filled it up and made a whole one of it out of his Demesne. This Alms he offered before God and his Saints upon the Altar of the holy Trinity at Lenton, for the health of the soul of his most dear wife Adelina, that her memory might be made every year. The witnesses were Richard Abbat of Leicester, Robert Avenell, Roger, son of Adelina, Peter de Sandiacre, Jofrid Bochart, Gubert de Nottingham, Herbert, son of Gladwin, Raph son of Lewin, Hugh de Sutton, Helric de Sutton, Grunquetel, Anselinus de Radclive, Everard de Lenton, and Gervase his son, and many others.

Robert de Pesseys gave to God and the work of the Church of the holy Trinity at Lenton, for the health of his soul, and of Alice his wife, and William his father, and Edelina his former wife, fifteen Acres of his Demesne in Sutton: (fn. 3) William de Passeys, son of Robert de Passeys, confirmed the fifteen Acres of the gift of his father, and gave four Acres himself.

In the year 1278, Robert, son of William Gyon of Bramcote, gave to the Prior and Covent of Lenton 4s. (fn. 4) yearly rent, when Hugh de Stapleford, Clerk, was bound to pay him for four bovats in Sutton, with homage, ward, relief, and all the appurtenances: to this were witnesses Sir Robert de Stratley, Sir Galfr. de Dethec, Sir Raph de Arnale, Knights, John de Cortlingstok, Henry de Watenhou, John Passeys, William Torcard, and others.

(fn. 5) William Mallard, paid two marks for a Knights Fee in Sutton, in the former part of the reign of Henry the third. But it appears in several other places, that the family of Passeys (fn. 6) held it by Serjeancy of finding a Horse and Sack in the Army of Wales. In one place it is recorded, that Robert Passeys held two carucats and an half; and that there were two bovats here of the Soc of Arnale, which used to pay 5s. and that Hugh de Nevill held them in his own hand.

Alice, daughter of Robert Passeys, had four bovats of this Serjeancy in Sutton, and paid the King a mark per annum. Alan Passeys, son of Robert, had one bovat for 4s. the Prior of Lenton sixteen acres for 3s. William Passeys afterwards came and warranted that Land to the Prior, and held the rest of the Serjeancy, then valued at 100s. John Passeys of Sutton, 7 E. 2. (fn. 7) left his son John his heir twenty-two years old; he had a mess. and six bovats of William Mortein at Wollaton, besides some land in Sutton.

In the record of Nom. Vill. (fn. 8) 9 E. 2. Sutton Passeys answered for a whole Villa, and John Passeys was then returned Lord of it.

(fn. 9) The Jury, 19 E. 2. found it not to the Kings loss if he granted licence to John Watnowe, to enfeoffe John le Colyer, of Nottingham, in fourteen acres in Sutton Passeys, having 40s. Land and Rent in Nottingham besides. (fn. 10) In 16 E. 3. the Jury likewise returned no loss to the King, if John de Coiier of Nott. gave a mess. a tost, and five bov. of land in Sutton Passeys, to a certain Chaplain to celebrate in the Church of St. Mary at Sutton Passeys; which Mannor was then become the possession of Richard de Willoughby, Lord also of Wollaton, with which family it continued, and is now, and long hath been totally decayed, and only known by the name of Wollaton Parke, and other the demesnes of that Mannor; howbeit the Parishioners of Radford say it is in that Parish, and within their Perambulation.

[Throsby] Sutton Passeys.

The site of this place, nor that of its church, cannot now be traced.

Footnotes

1 Lib. Dooms.
2 Regist, de Lent. p. 34.
3 Ib.
4 Ib.
5 Test. de Nev.
6 Ib.
7 Esc. 7 E. 2. n 3.
8 Nom. Vill.
9 Esc. 19 E. 2 n. 47.
10 Esc. 16 E. 3. n. 47.


<--Previous:
Radford