Calverton, and Salterford

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John Throsby

Year published

1796

Supporting documents

Pages

41-43

Citation Show another format:

'Calverton, and Salterford', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 3: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1796), pp. 41-43. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=76925 Date accessed: 25 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CALVERTON, and SALTERFORD.

In the Conquerours survey in Calverton was there certified to be a Berew of the manor of Blidworth of the arch-bishop of Yorkes fee, and it answered the Dane-geld for six bovats. The land being twelve bovats. There seven vill. and two bord. had two car. (fn. 1) There was a church and a priest, and two acres of meadow, pasture wood eight qu. long, three broad. This made up the ancient value of the manor 40s. as in Blidworth is noted.

Here was also a manor which before the conquest Ulvric had, which paid the geld for three bovats. The land was for one plow (or one car.) This afterwards was the fee of Rogerius Pictavensiis, and here then were two vill. and one virgat of meadow. In the Confessours time it had been valued to 20s. but then was 5s. 4d. In Calverton of the tayn-land, Alvric had one car. which paid the Dane-geld for three bovats. There two sochm. four vill. had two car. In former time this was valued at 16s. then at 10s. and the same Alvric continued to hold it.

In Salterford a Berew of Granby of the fee of Osbern Fitz-Richard (if this be not mistaken for some parcel of or about Colston Basset) was as much as was rated to the tax or Dane-geld at six bovats, and in the Conquerours time was waste, as it is still, there being scarce any memorial of it left, but a place called Salterford Damm in the forest, near the beginning of the river Doverbek, between Calverton and Orton; there was pasture wood one leu. long, four qu. broad.

(fn. 2) The prior of Laund (which priory was founded by the Bassetts) was certified to hold the town (or village) of Salterford in pure alms, and so were the chapter of Suwell and the prioress of Brewode (fn. 3) to hold three parts of the town of Kalverton, of the honour of Peverell; it seems William Peverel got the tayn-land here, as he did that at Woodborough.

That of the see of Roger Pictavensis was afterwards accounted of the honour of Lancaster, (fn. 4) of which honour William le Butiler held in Calverton and Crophill one fee. Likewise John de Vylers, who held of it one knights fee in Neuholt and Outhorp, held the fourth part of one here at Calverton.

(fn. 5) The jury found that Paganus de Vilers, who was first infeoffed gave to Alan his son five carucats of land in knights service. The same Paganus gave to the hospital of Hierusalem, one car. in Bekaneshou in alms. The same Pagan gave to William Vilers his son the land of Newhold, to hold by knights service, which William, the son of Paganus the younger, then held by that service. The same Pagan gave to Thomas de Vilers the moyety of Uvethorp, and the land of Hole, and the land of Calverton, in knights (or military) service, whereof Robert de Vilers held Hole, and the moyety of Calverton, except one carucat which William de Vilers held. The same Robert de Vilers held also the land of Calverton by the same service, &c.

(fn. 6) Raph de Vilers gave and confirmed to Robert his brother one bovat of land in Calverton, which Bernard held, reserving only one pound of cummin, or three halfpence at Easter: this he gave to the priory of St. Cuthbert at Radford (by Wirkesop) William de Vilers confirmed it, and so did Robert, son of Robert de Vilers, and John, son of William de Vilers.

The fourth part of the knights fee of John de Vilers lord of Outhorpe, was the inheritance of sir Thomas Hutchinson, knight, the moyety whereof did descend to him from his ancestors; the other moyety he bought, which was the inheritance of — Barton of Holme near Newark, the chief of which family sir Thomas Barton, knight, besides that Holme, had great possessions in Lancashire.

By a fine, 5 E. 2. (fn. 7) between Sampson de Stretley, and Philippa his wife, querents, and William, son of Walter de Ludham, deforc. forty acres of land, forty of wood, and 11s. rent in Saltreford and Calverton, were settled on the said Sampson and Philippa, and the heirs which the said Sampson should beget on the body of the said Philippa; remainder to the right heirs of Sampson.

Godefrey Folejamb, 45 E. 3. (fn. 8) who prosecuted against Sampson de Strelley chr. for taking the heir and lands of William de Strelley of Woodburgh, whom he affirmed to hold of him lands and tenements in Calverton, viz. six carucats of land, and ten marks rent, by homage, fealty, and scutage, &c. surceasing his prosecution, was amerced.

(fn. 9) The free-holders of Calverton 1612 were Christopher Strelley, John Sturtivant, Robert Cooper, John Lees, Thomas Leeson, Ed. Benet, John Barber, John Lambrey, Humsr. Youle, Euseby Marshall of Arnall, John Chaworth of Southwell, esquire, John Cressewell.

Colonel John Hutchinson, son and heir of sir Thomas Hutchinson, had that which he called the manor of Salterford in the forest.

(fn. 10) At Calverton was born William Lee, master of arts in Cambridge, and heir to a pretty free-hold here; who seeing a woman knit, invented a loom to knit, in which he, or his brother, James, performed and exercised before queen Elizabeth, and leaving it to — Aston his apprentice, went beyond the seas, and was thereby esteemed the author of that ingenious engine, wherewith they now weave silk and other stockings, &c. This — Aston added something to his master's invention, he was sometimes a miller at Thoroton, nigh which place he was born.

(fn. 11) The vicarage of Calverton was eight marks, 'tis now 4l. value in the kings books. The prebendaries of Orton should be patrons, or the chapter of Southwell, but this like Woodborough is a great a populous village, with an empty church, for the most part.

[Throsby] Calverton

Lordship was enclosed about the year 1780, it is divided property; Mrs. Bainbrigge and the duke of Portland, has a portion each.—The village consists of about 100 dwellings.

The church, which is dedicated to St. Wilfrid, is now reduced to one broad aisle, mostly modern built. It has 2 bells. The chancel, which is ancient, retains only one inscription against the wall, it is placed to the memory of "Mistris Jane Pepper."— It says, "She gave to the poor the church close in this place, and a silver plate to the parish."

In this place are two dissenting meeting houses, one of which has the famous pastor, John Roe, who, it is said, bid defiance to the discipline of the established church, respecting matrimony. Two of his female followers have suffered a long imprisonment in Nottingham jail, in consequence; one I believe was his wife in his own way. The case of these females, it was apprehended, would have been investigated by parliament in the next sessions. (fn. 12)

The prebendaries of Exton, Propr. and Patr. alternately. Incumbent, the Revd. Mr. Bingham, supposed value 60l. per ann. King's book 4l. os. od. Syn. and Prox. null. Val per ann. in mans. 3s. in oblat. in decem. lan. agn. proc. anc. pul. &c.

Footnotes

1 Lib. Dooms.
2 Lib. seod. in Scac. pen. Rem. Regis.
3 Test. de Nev.
4 Test. de Nev
5 Test. de Nev. Lancast.
6 Regist. de Worksop, fol. 98. cap. 1.
7 Fin. lev. Pasch. 5 E. 2.
8 Pl. de Banc. Pasch. 45 E. 3. ro 199.
9 Lib. libere Tenentium in Com. Nott.
10 Ex relatione Johanis Story, gen.
11 Mss. J. M.
12 I visited this place in June 1793.


<--Previous:
Eperston
Next:-->
Oxton, Oston