Kersal

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John Throsby

Year published

1796

Supporting documents

Pages

136-138

Citation Show another format:

'Kersal', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 3: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1796), pp. 136-138. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=76944 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

KERNESALL. KERSAL. CHEUERSALE.

This was a member as it were of Knesale, yet there was a grange or hermitage in Kersale, (fn. 1) which Hugo de Barun, a great benefactor, and afterwards monk of Lenton held, who gave land in Almeton, to that monastery; but I suspect this hermitage of Kersale might be in Lancashire.

(fn. 2) Richard, son of Robert de Croxton, confirmed to the canons of Stanley Parke, (otherwise called Dale-Abby) the whole gift which his brother John made to them of all his land in Mickleberge, in the territory of Kirnesale, which the abbat and covent released to Avicia sometime wife of sir John de Kirnesale, and her heirs.

(fn. 3) Robert Walensis, son of Rob. Walensis, of Kirneshall, gave four acres of arable land in an essart of Kirneshal, to the monastery of Rufford, with his body, paying the lord of the fee 6d. per annum, which it seems was one Thomas de Ywardeby, clark, who wrote to sir William de Sutton, and sir Robert his brother, knights, John Burdon, John de Kirmshale, Rob. Maleshover, Richard Freman, and Henry, son of Silvester de Kirmshale, stiling them noble and discreet men, that he had released to the monks of Russord, all his interest in the said land, which Robert Walensis gave of his fee, and likewise the 6d. per annum rent due to him and his heirs, and diligently intreated them that they would bear testimony to that deed of release, sealed with the same seal with which his letters to them were sealed, because they knew certainly that be had not a seal in which his proper name was contained.

(fn. 4) Silvester de Kirneshale, son of Henry de Laxton, gave to the said monastery of Rufford one acre of arable land in Kirneshale, of his wong which lay on the north part of the way, which leads from Kirneshale, to the wood called Bergelhage; the witnesses were Robert de Laxton, Mr. Peter, and Mr. Stephen his brothers, Raph, son of Henry de Laxton, his own brother, William, son of John de Kalnatheton.

Robert Broune, esquire, Thomas Smith, Richard Bevercotes, gent. and others, 17 H. 8. (fn. 5) claimed against Robert Kellome, and Cecily his wife, the manor of Kyrneshall alias Cressall, with the appurtenances; also four mess. two hundred acres of land, one hundred of meadow, one hundred of pasture, forty of wood, one hundred of more, and 8s. 8d. rent in Kyrneshale.

(fn. 6) Richard Bevercotes, gent. died 8 Jan. 38 H. 8. seized of the manor of Kyrsall, held of the manor of Allerton; Alice wife of Thomas Massingberd was his daughter and heir.

(fn. 7) In another recovery 12 Eliz. William Mason, and William Oglethorp claimed against Bryan Burkytt one mess. six tofts, two barns, one garden, two orchards, one hundred acres of land, thirty of meadow, ten of pasture, four of wood, forty of more, and 4s, 4d. rent with the appurtenances in Kneesall, Kyrkesall, alias Kyrsall, & Malebecke, alias Maplebeck, who called to warrant Richard Whyting, gent, and Stephen Broun, gent. and Elizabeth his wife.

Part of the hamlet was a grange parcel of the posession of the abby of Russord, and granted therewith to the earl of Shrowsbury; the residue hath the reputation of a small manor, and hath been a long time the inheritance of — Robertson and his ancestors, until lately that by the death of John Robertson, the last heir male of that family, it fell to the share of — Garnon his nephew, and one of his heirs, who hath since then sold it.

[Throsby] Kersal.

A hamlet, small. The land here adjoins Beesthorp and is in the parish of Kneesal: It was enclosed in 1778. The King, in right of the duchy of Lancaster, is lord thereof. Proprietors the chapter of Southwell, who had the great tythes; now a farm is enjoyed instead of them; Samuel Bristow, esq; of Beesthorp, Revd. Thomas Wakefield, Revd. Thomas Holt, and others.

In this place is a quaker's meeting house, with a burial ground; but now the former is disused. It has been a place much resorted to.

Footnotes

1 Regist: de Lent: p: 71:
2 Regist: de Ruff: p: 86:
3 Ib:
4 Reg: Ruff: Ib:
5 Hill 17 H: 8: rot: 124:
6 Lib: 2 post mort: fol: 105:
7 Trin: 12 Eliz: rot: 143: