This village hath gone by these following names, Scelvangra,
Schelfangyll, Shelfangles, Shelfhangre, and now Shelfhanger, the signification of which I cannot the least guess at.
The Church stands against the road leading from Diss to Winfarthing, and hath a square tower and four bells; the nave is thatched,
the chancel and north porch are tiled. It is dedicated to all the Saints,
as was the gild that belonged to it.
It is a rectory, and had anciently two rectors, each having institution to a mediety; the patronage of one belonging to Bosvile's, afterwards called Hoe's, manor, and the other to Visedelieu's.
Hoe's, or Bosevile's Mediety.
1272. Eudo, parson of Shelfhangre, in the time of John de Ho,
Lord. (fn. 1)
1285. Peter de Ho, rector. (fn. 2)
1347, 2 December, Thomas, atte churche of Thelvetham, priest.
Rob. de Bosvill, patron.
1362, 2 March, John Basset, priest. Adam Bosvile, patron.
Henry, rector of Shelfhanger. (fn. 2)
1313, 3 non. Nov. John atte Shelfhanger church, accolite; Thomas de Verdoun, lord of Briclisworth, Knt.
1340, 8 June, Thomas de Walpole, clerk. Ditto.
1347, 25 December, Bogo de Knovill. (fn. 3) Ditto.
1348, 25 Novem. Simon de Cranesle, accolite. Ditto.
1349, 30 October, John de Beck de Banham; Sim. Warde, Ralph
Crophull, Thomas Halcote, and William Witlesham,
trustees to Sir John Verdon and Isabell his wife.
1362, 30 January. Nicholas Dene, priest. Ditto.
1368, 2 October, Hugh Greene, priest, on Dene's resignation. J.
1375. 11 July, Gilbert Colman of Thuryton, priest, on Greene's resignation. Sir John Verdoun, Knt.
1375, 21 March, Sir John de Verdoun, Knt. and Adam Bosvile, the present patrons, considering the small revenues of each
mediety, consolidated them for ever, at the death of Gilbert Colman,
in John Basset, then rector of Bosvile's mediety; the presentation
henceforward to be alternate. (fn. 4)
1410, 22 Febr. Richard Andyeness, priest. Sir Edmund Noon, Knt.
1423, 25 March, John Motewyn of Bury St. Edmund's, priest.
Thomas Torrel, Esq.
1430, 30 May, William Ty, priest, on Motewyn's resignation. Ditto.
1458, 3 Septem. Thomas Levereche. Henry Noon, Esq.
1458, 28 Octob. William Rede, on Levereche's resignation. Ditto.
1511, 2 March, John Elmham. Ditto.
1529, 28 May, Anthony Warner, chaplain, at Elmham's death. Ditto.
1554, 14 July, John Harrison, at Warner's death. Thomas Duke
1576, 7 Decem. John Baron, on Harrison's death. William
Dixe, William Canterell, &c. trustees for the Duke of Norfolk.
1579, 2 March, Thomas Davies. Phillip Earl of Arundell.
1580, 4 Febr. William Skarlet. The Bishop by lapse.
1594, 16 May, Edward Cotton, clerk. Earl of Suffolk.
1627, William Bagley. (fn. 5) Thomas Earl of Arundell.
1662, Richard Crosdale, rector.
1674, 12 January, Thomas Barry, A. M. on Crosdale's death.
Henry Earl of Norwich, Earl-Marshal, &c.
1687, 18 January, Obadiah Browne, A. M. on Barry's death.
Richard Richmond, apothecary, London.
1689, 16 May, The Rev. Mr. Joseph Henchman, A. M. the present
rector, [1736,] on Browne's resignation. Richard Marriot, Gent.
and John Coggs, goldsmith, by grant from the Duke of Norfolk.
|King's Books. (fn. 6) ||Tenths.||Synodals.||Procur. Archd.||Acres Glebe.|
On the font I saw the arms of Bosville, (a I suppose,) carved in
stone, with A on one side, and B on the other, being the initial letters of the name of Adam Bosville, who was patron in 1362, about
which time this might be set up; and in a south chancel window I
find the same arms quartered by Noon, viz.
Arg. A fess gul. between six de-lises sab.
And in the same window it quarters arg. two chevrons az. the
whole in a bordure gul. and over them this broken inscription:
Orate pro bono - - - - fil. dni. Henr. Noon,
Uxor. sue qui - - - - bresbiter fieri.
In another south window this, - - - - on a
bend az. six de-lises or.
Before the altar rails lie three large stones,
robbed of their arms and inscriptions; under
the first lies Henry, son of Sir Henry Noon,
who died in 1487; under the next lies Eleanor his wife.
The arms of Vicedelieu were on a stone in
the chancel, but are now gone, as is this coat,
viz. gul. three chess-rooks ermine.
Under a small freestone is buried Robert,
son of Robert Casbourn of Isleham in Cambridgeshire, Esq. and Abigail
his wife, who died March 27, 1722, aged five years.
Here is a town-house for two dwellers, a freehold close of 3 acres,
let at about 50s. a year, half the profits of which are given to the
poor, and the other half to be applied to what uses the church-wardens please. The rector hath also a close of 3 acres, given to find
bell-ropes, called Bell-rope Close.
In 1738, Mrs. Sarah Frankland gave 100l. with which there was
freehold land purchased in the parish, the rent of which is to find 2s.
worth of bread to be distributed to the poor every Sunday, by the
rector and church-wardens.
The Commons are inconsiderable, except their intercommonage
with Brisingham on Boyland Green; (see p. 72;) and a large tract of
meadows which are common from Lammas to March, and are called
the Lammas Meadows.
This parish is in the archdeaconry of Norfolk, and deanery of Redenhall. In 1603, it had 142 communicants, hath now near 40 dwellinghouses, and contains about 200 inhabitants. It paid to the old tenth
27s. was taxed to the association rates at 980l. and now at 763l. 10s.
Here was a chapel dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle, but when
or by whom founded I cannot certainly learn; but most probable,
by some of the Veres, lords of Winfarthing: it stood on the great
road leading from Shelfhanger to Winfarthing, and by its not being
mentioned in the Institution Books, appears to have been a free
chapel; it was standing in 1518, for then Matthew Halyett of Winfarthing gave a bell to the chapel of St. Andrew in Shelfhanger. It
was supported by lands given by the founder, all which at the Dissolution came to the Crown, and so remained till the 12th of Elizabeth,
and then she gave them to Nicholas Mynne, Esq. and John Hall,
Gent. and their heirs; and in 1587, they were held by the Cleres, of
the manor of East Greenwich, by fealty only. They are said to lie in
Deep-Meadow, and in other places in Shelf hanger and Winfarthing.
The Prior of Eye had a portion of tithes given them by Hugh de
Aviliers, out of his demean lands here, which were confirmed to the
rector by that house, for a pension of 5s. 9d. a year, (fn. 7) which, at the
Dissolution, went to the Crown, and was granted for 21 years, by
Queen Elizabeth, to George Petre. The register of this priory, called
Danoun, (fn. 8) which now  belongs to Mr. Thomas Martin of Palgrave, tells us the lands' names from which this portion issued, viz.
Whytlown's, Bullokk's Close, Breche-Lond, and Chappell-Lond, of
which the prior to have two tithe sheaves, and the rector one.
The monks of Thetford had also a portion of tithes here, viz. two
garbs out of three of all the demean lands of Winfarthing tenement,
being 50 acres, which they granted to the rector for 18d. a year
The inhabitants of North Lopham hold a messuage, called Elwines,
and 13 acres of land, and one acre in South Meadow, and other lands,
formerly demeans of Shelfhanger, Visedelieu manor; (fn. 9) all which, in
1412, were manumised by Edmund Noon, Knt. lord of that manor,
and granted to Richard Bosse, and his heirs, to be held by the rent of
a red rose yearly. This Richard infeoffed William Ty, parson of
Shelf hanger, and others, to hold it for ever to the use of the parish
of North Lopham, to repair their parish church. And in 1454 the
said William Ty infeoffed Henry Noon, Edmund Bokenham, Esqrs.
John Halle, parson of Garboldisham, and others to the same uses.
This land is still enjoyed by that parish. [1736.]
The town was in divers parts at the survey; Colo, a freeman of
Nasgre Stalre, in King Edward's time, had one manor, which, in the
Conqueror's time, Hervicus or Hervy held, and Modephefe, a freewoman of Algar's, had another, both being held of Alan Earl of
Richmond. The town was a league long, and half a league broad,
and paid 9d. to the Geld or tax. (fn. 10)
And from this time they continued separate, till they united in the
Norfolk family; the one was afterwards called Hoe's, and the other
Vicedelieu's, to each of which a moiety of the advowson was appendant.
Was held all along of Richmond honour, and soon after the Conquest,
Hueline de Hugethale, (or Uggeshale,) so called from the
place of his habitation, whose son
Roger was sirnamed de Hoe, for the same reason, and
Peter, son of the said Roger, was called Peter de Shelfangell, and
sometimes de Ho. Roger de Ho gave lands here to Sibton abbey,
and added to the manor by purchasing of Robert de Morley, and
Roger de Gissing, Knts. lords of Reydon, much land in that town,
which occasioned this manor to extend thither. He lived about
Sir Gilbert de Ho, alias de Schelfangels, was his son and heir.
John de Ho, son of Sir Gilbert, augmented it more, having divers
lands granted him by Alexander Abbot of Sibton; after him
Henry de Ho occurs in a deed without date, and Osbert de Ho,
In 1218, Guido or Eudo de Ho, alias de Shelfangre, was lord, who
the same year had a grant of free-warren to his manor; (fn. 11) he is sometimes in evidences called Eudo Fitz-Osbert, from his father; he
granted his moiety of the advowson, in 1227, to
Ralf, son of Reginald, and his heirs, who left it to his son William, whose son John, in 1256, sold it to
John del Ho; and then it was joined again.
In 1275 he was Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk, and paid the third
penny of the county to the Earl of Norfolk. He held much land
here of Bury abbey, and many rents and services, to the value of
112 acres. To this Sir John succeeded
Eudo in 1276, in whose time it was first called Hoe's manor; he
claimed streys and had it allowed in 1220. Walter de Shelfangre,
one of this family, was Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk, and was fined
for extortion; but whether he was ever lord or no I cannot say.
In 1280, Roger de Ho had it, who left it the same year to
John de Ho; he granted a messuage, lands, and commonage in
Shelfhanger, to Walter of Shelfhanger, uncle to John de Shotbroke,
who became Walter's heir in 1286, in which year this John de Ho
is said to hold it of the honour of Richmond, and had strey allowed
him. In 1302 it belonged to another
Roger de Ho, who in 1307, upon marrying Agnes, (sirnamed
Norwich probably, for William de Norwico, clerk, was deforciant in
the fine,) settled it on them and their heirs. How it continued till
1345 I know not certainly, though it seems to be in a family sirnamed
De la Pole of Brisingham; (fn. 12) for in 1331, this advowson was settled by Henry de la Pole of Brisingham, and Margaret his wife, on
themselves and their heirs, which Margaret might be heiress to Roger
and Agnes de Ho; and it is probable that De la Pole's daughter might
marry Boseville: however, thus far I am certain, that in this year
Robert de Bosewill, or Bosville, had the manor which was
lately Roger de Hoe's. In 1362,
Adam Boseville was lord, and so to 1375; in 1423,
Thomas Torrell, Esq. had it, from whom it went, in 1455, to
Henry Noon, from which time it hath passed, joined with Vice
de Lieu's manor, as it is at this day. [1736.]
The Manor of Vice de Lou,
Which was the part held by Modephefe, had its name from the lords
thereof; Humfridus Vise de Lou, or Wolf's Face, (for such is the signification of the name,) lived in the time of the Conqueror, and held
lands in Berkshire, as Domesday informs us, whose descendant,
William, was lord here in 1170. In this family it continued
many ages. In 1300,
William de Vise de Lou married Rose, sister and heir of Elizabeth de Shotisbroke. He it was that procured a grant of free-warren
to this manor, which he settled, with the moiety of the advowson,
which had always gone with it, on
Sir Thomas Vise de Lou, Knt. his son, which Sir Thomas left two
daughters coheiresses, between whom it was divisible:
Isabell, married to Sir John Verdon, Knt. and Margaret to Thomas Mossells, Esq. This ancient family was some time seated at
Shotley, in Samford hundred in Suffolk, and continued above seven
descents, possessed of a large revenue in Shotley, Snape, &c. They
bare arg. three wolves heads erased gul. from which bearing they
might have their name.
The moiety of the advowson went with Verdon's part, (fn. 13) (for John de
Verdon, Knt. lord of Briclesworth, presented here often,) and descended
with the manor to
Sir Imbert Noon of Shelfhanger, who married Isabell, the daughter and heiress of Sir John Verdon, by Isabell, his second wife, about
1408, who presented in 1410. In 1412,
Sir Henry Noon, Knt. succeeded, who this year had a grant of
free-warren, and liberty to enclose 310 acres for a park; but he died
before he had completed his design, leaving
Henry Noon, Esq. his son and heir, who, in 1417, renewed the
grant for his free-warren and park. This Henry much increased his
estate, by his valiant exploits, being a brave soldier, and an experienced officer: he constantly attended Henry V. in the French wars,
where he behaved so gallantly, that the King gave him the castle,
lands, and lordship of Tonde in Normandy, (fn. 14) which was late the Earl of
Mortaigne's, being 2000 scutes a year. He died in 1465, leaving
this manor to
Elizabeth his wife, till Henry his son came of age, and then to
him and his heirs; which
Henry enjoyed it till his death in 1487, as appears by the probate
of his will, who, according to his desire, was buried under a large
grave-stone in this chancel, the inscription of which is now torn off,
but his arms, impaling a chevron in a bordure between three eagles
legs erased, lately remained. His wife Eleanor, after his decease,
married to William Lancaster of Brisingham, Esq. and after that to
Robert Wyngfield, with whose consent she made her will, dated the
4th of November, 1500, in which she ordered to be buried in this
chancel by her first husband, and to have on her stone the arms of
Wyngfield siding Lancaster.
Henry Noon, son and heir, succeeded; who, upon marriage in
1510, settled the manor on Antony Wyngfield, Robert Kemp, Esq.
and Robert Bonde, clerk, in trust, to his use and his heirs, by Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Wingfield of Letheringham in Suffolk; in
1519, the said Henry, and Robert Holdich, who was lord of the other
moiety, manumised a great part of the manor, among which, to
Robert, son of Matthew Hallyat of Winfarthing, three enclosures,
Brendaleswong, containing 60 acres, Bullock's Close 20 acres, and
Brech Close 10 acres, at 19s. 10d. freerent. Whether it was this
Henry, or his son Francis, that sold the manor, I cannot say, but it
was purchased by the Duke of Norfolk, who kept court here in 1532.
The other moiety went with Margaret, the other daughter, to
Thomas Mosells, Esq. her husband, who having no issue male,
it came to their daughters,
Margaret and Joan, so that this moiety was divided again.
Margaret married Edmund Stratton, Esq. and was his widow in
1479; and left it to her daughter, who married Richard Yaxley,
senior, and by him had two sons, Thomas Yaxley, clerk, the eldest,
who sold it to Richard Yaxley, his brother, and his heirs. This
Richard, in 1526, purchased the other moiety of this moiety, of
Thomas Felton, Esq. which Thomas was son of Robert Felton,
Esq. had Margery his wife, sister and heiress to Sir Thomas Sampson
of Playford in Suffolk, Knt. which Robert was son of John Chapman, alias Felton, by Joan, the other daughter of Thomas Mossell,
Esq. This Richard Yaxley had it settled on himself and Richard
Holdich, his trustee, in 1527, and so held it to 1532, when he and Anne
his wife sold it to
Thomas Duke of Norfolk, and his heirs, who having purchased
the other moiety of the Noons, as also Hoe's manor, became now
sole lord and patron; and it hath been ever since, and now remains
in that honourable family. The present Duke being now lord and
Here was another manor, called
Which belonged to the abbey of Sibton in Suffolk; this was formerly
the possession of Edric, Falconer to the Confessor, and had only 15
acres demeans at that time. (fn. 15)
This Edric was ancestor to Robert Mallet, (fn. 16) lord of Eye honour,
who in the Conqueror's days, or soon after, infeoffed
Walter de Cadomo (Caam, or Caus) in the barony of Horsford, to be held of his honour, with which this passed.
Robert, son of Walter, succeeded in William Rufus's reign, who
John, his son, sirnamed Vicecomes (or Sheriff, because he had that
office.) He was Baron of Horsford; he vowed to build an abbey of
monks in his own land, but dying soon after, left
William, his brother, his heir, whom he commanded to perform
his vow. This William was called afterwards de Cayneto, de Chethney, or Cheyney; who, according to his promise, founded the abbey of
Sibton in Suffolk, in his own land, in the year 1149, endowing it with
many revenues, and among them with this manor, which was then
very small, but was soon after augmented by divers gifts given to that
house, (fn. 17) among which, Ralph, son of Nicholas Loverd of Shelfhanger,
gave them, Robert, son of Bartholomew de Dunwich, with his service;
William, son of Godfrey of Westhaie, gave them 3s. rent in Reydon,
of the fee of Gilbert Fitz-Ralph, for the souls of his father and
mother, and Mary his wife, of whose patrimony it was; John de
Verdon, lord of Brisingham, gave them the going or commonage of
pasture for 200 sheep on Brisingham Great Green, and many others
gave other lands, all which are particularly described in a chartulary
of the priory of Cluniack monks at Thetford, fol. 23, which book is
now among Mr. Le Neve's Collections. In 1361, it was let to
Bosevill, at 40s. per annum. In 1336, the abbot new-built Frier's
Hall, at the expense of 50l.; the demeans were then 50 acres In
1403, John Abbot of Sibton, and the Convent, (fn. 18) leased out their
whole possessions here to John Lancaster, Esq. for seven years, at
3l. 1s. per annum, the demeans being excepted; it now extended
into Shelfhanger, Reydon, Brisingham, and Diss in Norfolk, and
Thrandeston and Yaxley in Suffolk. About 1530, Henry Noon farmed
it with one acre marsh in Brisingham, and the commonage of 200
sheep there; and so it continued till the 28th Henry VIII. in which
year the abbot and monks, foreseeing what was coming upon them,
bargained with Thomas Duke of Norfolk, and resigned their house to
him and his heirs, with all that belonged thereto, the Duke having
procured leave of the King that he might receive it, and hold it to
him and his heirs for ever, which was confirmed by Act of Parliament, anno 31st Henry VIII. and then it was joined to the other
manors, with which it now continues. (fn. 19) [1736.] The resignation of
this abbey may be seen in Dugdale's Monast. vol. iii. fol. 33, and was
signed by Wm. Flatbury, abbot, Robert Bungay, prior, John Facon,
sub-prior, Tho. Hadley, celerer, Wm. Dunwich, Robert Dunwich,
and Peter Elmham, monks. The commonage of the 200 sheep was
laid to Vise de Lieu's, or Shelfhanger Hall, as it is now called, and
Frier's Hall was soon after demolished; it stood just by the gate
going from Brisingham common to Shelfhanger Hall.
Shelfhanger Manor, alias D'Aveler's,
Was originally the demeans of the Confessor, afterwards given (either
by him or some other) to St. Edmund's abbey at Bury, of which it
was held in the Conqueror's time.
The first parcel constituted the manor called
D'AVELER'S. (fn. 20)
The second was in the abbey till the Dissolution, with other lands
that were afterwards given. The third was joined to Brisingham
manor, and always attended it, so that I have no occasion to speak
any more of the two last in this place.
As to the first, it was very early granted from the abbey in two
parts, one of which was in
Ralph de Burgo, the other in
William le Loverd, or Lord, whose son John sold half of it to
Bartholomew, son of Robert de Anwelhyers, the successour of
Ralph de Burgo, so that he had two parts out of three; this part was
held of the said William, by the service of a pair of gloves yearly:
but I must observe, that Alequis de Scirewood, or Sherewood, had the
Burghs part, in which family it continued two or three generations,
and then came to Robert, father of Bartholomew aforesaid.
In 1190, Hugh da Vilere was lord, and after him
Bartholomew, his son, who, about 1227, left it to his son
Richard, who was in the custody of Cassandra, his mother, by
grant of Hugh de Burgh, Justiciary (Chief Justice,) with whom she
compounded for 20s. The possessions of this Richard, (fn. 21) which laid
here, and in Brome and Everwarton, (now Arwarton,) in Suffolk,
were then worth 40l. per annum, and were all held by serjeantry, viz.
by the service of conducting the foot soldiers of the two counties of
Norfolk and Suffolk, for 40 days, at the King's summons, from St.
Edmund's Ditch (now called Devil's Ditch on Newmarket Heath) to
the King's army in Wales, for which he was to have 4d. of each, for
conduct money, and the rest of their maintenance was to be at the
King's cost, and by this tenure it always passed. The Abbot at first
was to do this service, till he granted this part chargeable with it.
In 1253, Richard D'Avilers, and Beatrix his wife, had it; and
Bartholomew D'Avilers inherited, who died in 1274, leaving
John his son, who died in anno 1318. This (fn. 22) John sold all to
Walter de Shelfhanger and John de Sotesbrook, or
Stokesbrook, who afterwards became one of the heirs of the said
Walter; and, in 1286, took possession by the King's license, and had
free-warren allowed him in all his lands. This manor had a house
and park, 80 acres of arable land, one acre and a half of meadow, a
mill, and 10s. rent. (fn. 23) That in Brome had a messuage, 60 acres of
land, 4 of meadow, and 4 of pasture, &c.; all which were to be held
of the said John D'Avelers. This John married Isabel Ufford, who
was endowed in Arwarton manor, by whom he left
Bartholomew, his son, who became lord of all these manors; by
which it seems, that the grant of this and Brome was only for life.
He married Joan, relict of John, son of William de Caldecote, and
died 18th April, 1330, leaving her a widow, and four daughters, his
coheirs; Isabel, married to Sir Robert Bacon, Knt. had Everwarton;
Cicely, to Brian de Hykeling, and had Brome; Margaret and Joan,
one of which (I have some reason to think) married to Richard
Daniel, who had Shelfhanger: the whole came afterwards to Isabel
Bacon, (probably for want of issue of the other sisters,) who afterwards
married to Sir Oliver Calthorp, and carried the three manors into that
family. The D'Aviliers arms were, arg. three inescutcheons gul.
and are now quartered by Bacon and Calthorp, by the name of
D'Ylers. It was after divided into many parts, by which the manor
was all lost, except some trifling rents, which were in the Duke of
Norfolk in 1536; it was then called Sherwood's in Shelfhanger. It
remains now  with the other manors.
The other part, which was
Made a free tenement, called by the owner's name, to which many
services belonged, and daily increased, as the owners of the tenement
sold off their lands, all which they made payable to the celerer of the
abbey, to discharge the capital tenement of the rent and service due
from it to the abbey; and when enough was sold to answer that purpose, it became a freehold only, and as such has passed ever since;
this was finished in 1266, by John le Loverd, (fn. 24) when the lands of the
abbey were extended, and all their revenues settled on the sacrist and
celerer, who let them to Guy of Shelfhanger, who was to answer all
rents and services for them. The lords of Hoe's manor usually farmed
them and received the rents. The Black Register tells us, that Hammond Peccutum (fn. 25) (or Pecche) confirmed to Abbot Anselm all that
land, and 2s. rent, which his grandmother Jenetta, and his mother
Esyly, had given to that convent; all which, in 1281, (fn. 26) were valued to
answer 20s. per annum clear.
These came to Henry VIII. who gave some of them to divers persons, and others were granted to Norton, &c. by Queen Elizabeth, to
be held free of the manor of East Greenwich in Kent.
Here was another free tenement, called
From its situation on the great road near that place; it laid in Shelfhanger, and anciently belonged to the Berdewells, being held of their
manor of Gatesthorp, by the annual rent of a pound of pepper; half
of it, in 1280, was owned by Walter de Winfarthing, and in 1298,
by Robert, his son and heir, who paid half a pound of pepper for
himself and all his tenants, which were about thirty in number; some
of them were obliged to double service for their lands, viz. to pay
one rent to the lord of the tenement, and another to the chief lord
of the fee, and all together were to pay 2s. 3d. and the fourth part of
a farthing, to the King's scutage, whenever it happened, the whole
contained in demeans 50 acres, the tithes of which were divisible,
one tithe sheaf to Shelfhanger rector, and two to the monks of Thetford. The other half was held by John le Lord, and his tenants, by
the same services; the manor of Gatesthorp (or Gasthorp in Norfolk)
had this rent always paid to it, and is said to extend into Winfarthing.
In 1392, the whole pepper rent was laid upon one acre, in one piece,
and was then received; I am apt to think, this was that part of Winfarthing manor that reached into Shelfhanger, and that it was
granted by the lords of Winfarthing to the lord of Gasthorp; for
Domesday informs us, that Winfarthing (fn. 27) reached hither.
And this is the whole I know of these manors, all which in 1532
were in Thomas Duke of Norfolk, and being then joined, have continued together, without any other distinction, as they do at this day,
[1736,] the style of the court running thus, Shelfhanger, Visedelieu,
Hoe's, and Frier's.
The Customs are these: the eldest son inherits; they can fell
timber, pull down, build up, plant, and cut down on the copyhold, and
waste, without license; but the fines are at the lord's will.
The Leet belongs not to the manor, but hath passed with Diss
hundred, the lord of which keeps it at this time, and hath 2s. for leet
The Rev. Mr. Joseph Henchman, rector, bears or, a chevron
between three bugle horns, stringed, sab. on a chief gul. three lions
Mr. William Elliot, senior, gul. on a bend ingrailed or, a battoon
of the field.