This rectory is capable of augmentation, being sworn of the clear
yearly value of 45l. The monks of Thetford had a portion of tithes
here, formerly valued at 20s. (fn. 1) It is in Redenhall deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
The Church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, in honour of
whose assumption there was a gild founded in it, and another to St.
John Baptist, to both which, in 1548, Nath. Hallyet was a benefactor, (fn. 2) who at the same time founded a light of wax before the image
of our Lady of Peace yearly, to the value of 2s. for which he tied a
close called, Cockkys Close, for ever: he was buried in this church,
which was confirmed by Henry II. to the monks of Butley in Suffolk,
to whom it was soon after appropriated by John of Oxford, Bishop
of Norwich, which was confirmed by John De Grey and Tho. de
Blundevile, his successours; a pension of 26s. 8d. payable quarterly,
being reserved out of the great tithes to the vicar; all which was
several times confirmed by the Archbishops of Canterbury; and so
it continued till 1424, and then Reginald De-Gray Lord Hastyngs,
&c. recovered the advowson from them, and presented a rector;
from which time it hath continued a rectory. It seems they could
produce no grant from the King for the advowson, nor no confirmation from the Pope of the appropriation. Here is a small rectoryhouse, barn, stable, back-house, and 24 acres glebe, and a piece
|King's Books.||Clear Value.||Synodals.||Procurations.||Acres Glebe.|
Vicars and Rectors.
1326, prid. kal. July, John de le Nelde, de Schympling, priest,
at the resignation of Thomas, the last vicar, presented by the Prior
of Butley, as were all the following vicars.
1337, 18 kal. June, Barth. de Banham, priest, on Nelde's resignation.
1338, 29 May, John de Beck, of Banham, priest. Matthew,
Prior of Butley.
1354, 4 Nov. Will. Stannard of Diss, priest.
1366, 10 June, Will. de Wodethorp, priest.
1378, 28 April, Tho. Karman of Gissing, priest. William,
Prior of Butley. He died in 1416, and is buried here.
1416, 24 Nov. John Bele of Stanton, priest; he was the last vicar,
1424, 8 Oct. Augustine Luce, priest, was instituted rector of the
parish church of Winfarthing, at the presentation of Reginald de
Grey Lord Hastyngs, Weysford, and Ruthyn, who by action at
law had recovered the presentation against the Prior of Butley, by
proving that it of right belonged to his lordship of Winfarthing.
1423, 10 Dec. Will. Chircheman, priest, on Luce's resignation.
Reginald de Grey.
1427, 12 Feb. Will. Baldirton, alias Man, priest. Ditto.
1436, 18 Octob. Robert Cleye, priest, on Man's resignation. Reginald de Grey, &c. in right of his lordship of Winfarthing,
which came to him by hereditary descent; before this institution,
the prior and convent of Butley were particularly called upon to justify their right (if they thought they had any) in this rectory.
1446, 13 Aug. Sir Ralphe Veske, priest. Edmund Grey, Knt.
Lord Hastyng, &c.
1446, 24 Aug. John Tuttebury, on Veske's resignation. Ditto.
1446, 3 March, John Shawe, on Tuttebury's resignation. Ditto.
1447, April, John Witton. Ditto.
1456, 6 July, Will. Spencer, at Witton's deprivation. Ditto.
1469, 24 Octob. John Cokefield, doctor of the decrees, on Spencer's
resignation. Edmund Gray Earl of Kent.
1477, 28 April, Will. Banke, a licentiate in the decrees, on
Cokefield's death. Ditto.
1488, 24 April, Robert Jacson, on Banke's resignation. Ditto.
1518, 5 Febr. Robert Laurence, on Jacson's death. The Earl of
1523, 28 March, Tho. Seaman, LL. B. on Laurence's resignation.
1535, 26 Aug. Sir Richard Flynte, chaplain to Charles Duke
of Suffolk, was by that Duke presented to the church of St. Mary of
Winfarthing, which he held with Blakenham in Suffolk.
1576, 24 May, Stephen Strete, A.B. Queen Elizabeth.
1594, 31 Aug. John Christian. The Queen.
1603, Will. Mobbes, rector.
1610, 20 Sept. Sam. Garey, (fn. 3) LL. B. He bare gul. two bars ar.
on each a mascle of the first; on a canton or, a leopard's face az.
Crest, a buffler's head quarterly, gul. and sab. charged with four
mascles. He was presented by John Holland, Esq. trustee to the
Howard family. He was prebendary of Norwich, and author of
many sermons and other divinity tracts, some printed, some MSS.
1621, Daniel Reve of Banham, rector, died in 1628.
1628, 6 Aug. John Jewell, A.M. Thomas Earl of Arundel.
1637, 8 June, He resigned, and the bishop gave notice to the patron, and soon after Cooper Reynolds was instituted, who died rector;
1641, Jan. 15, Philip Flight, A.M. succeeded. Lionell Earl
of Middlesex, Henry Lord Mowbray, Henry Lord Pierpoint, and
Edward Lord Newbury.
1643, 1 Febr. Sam. Gardiner, A.M. on Flight's death. Lionell, &c.
John Coppin succeeded. He died Nov. 23, 1711.
1711, March20, the Rev. Mr. John Phillips, the present 
rector. Robert Marsham, Bart.
The tower is square, having a peal of five bells in it; the nave
south isle, and north porch are leaded, the chancel thatched.
On two brass plates in the nave:
Hic iacet Matheus Hallyet qui mortem obiit 3° die Maii, A. D. 1586,
anno etatis sur, 54.
post tenebras spero lucem.
Herelyeth buryed the body of Thomas Hallyat, gent. of the
age of 48 yeares, who deceased the 18th day of July, A. D.
1612, being the second son of Rob. Hallyat. gent. who also
lyeth buried in this church.
Post mortem vitam eternam.
Many of this family (who were considerable owners) are buried in
this church, several of their stones being robbed of their brasses.
About 1600, the following arms were in the windows, all which
are now defaced, except these, viz.
Valence Earl of Pembroke, barry of ten pieces ar. and az. an orle
of martlets gul.
Montchensie, or, three inescutcheons vair.
Bohun, az a bend between two cotizes, and six lions rampant or.
Ar. a bend raguled sab. Ar three roses gul. - - two bendlets or.
Hetherset, az. a leopard saliant or.
On the wall over the communion table were the arms of Norwich
bishoprick impaling Bishop Reynold's (fn. 4) (fn. 5) arms, with this date, 1676;
but they are now whited over.
In the south isle there is a black marble for Elizabeth Belville,
alias Michell, who died April 5, 1683, aged 43.
Modesty, sobriety, and grace,
Was the orniment, of her race.
Here was a clock formerly, which now stands disused in the south
aisle; and in a chapel at the upper end thereof was placed a famous
sword, called the Good Sword of Winfarthing, of which Becon, in
his Reliques of Rome, (printed in 1563,) fo. 91, gives us the following account.
In Winfarthing, a littel billage in Norfolke, there was a rerteyne
Swerd, called the Good Swerd of Winfarthyng, this Swerd was
counted so prerious a relique, and of so great birtue, that there was a
solemne pilgrimage used unto it, with large giftes and offringes, with
bow makings, crouchinges, t kissinges: This Swerd was bisited far
and near, for many t sundry purposes, but specialy for thinges that
were lost, and for horses that were eyther stolen or else rune astray,
it helpid also unto the shortning of a married mans life, if that the
wyfe which was weary of her husband, would set a randle before that
Swerd ebery Sunday for the space of a whole yeare, no Sunbay er
cepted, for then all was bain, whatsoeber mas done before.
I have many times beard (says that author) when I was a rhild, of
diberse ancient men and wemen, that this Swerd was the Swerd of a
rertayne thief, which took sanctuary in that church pard, and after
wards through the negligence of the watchmen escaped, and left his
swerd behind him, which being found, and laid up in a rertaine old
chest, was afterward through the suttilty of the parson and the clerk
of the same parish, made a precious Relique, full of bertue, able to
do much, but specially to enrich the bor, and make fat the parson's
Algar, a freeman of Herald's held all Wineferthinc as one manor
in the Confessor's time, when it contained 6 carucates of land, two
in demean, and four among the tenants: at the survey it was in the
Conqueror's own hands, and then extended into Burston, Shimpling,
Titshall, and Shelfhanger; it was valued in the first survey at 40s.
and by the Conqueror at 8l. 3s. 4d. with the freemen; he committed
it to Godric's care, who answered 7l. and no more. It was two miles
long, and one mile broad, and paid 9d. geld. (fn. 6)
This town is privileged as ancient demean, the tenants being excused from serving as jurors at the sessions or assizes, or any where
else out of the manor, and from toll in markets and fairs, upon renewing their writ every King's reign, and having it annually allowed
by the sheriff of the county.
It remained in the Crown till King Henry II. gave it to
Sir William de Monte-caniso, (or Munchensie,) Knt. who
gave a 100 marks to have seizin of this manor in 1189. He was
grandson to Hubert Munchensy, who lived in the Conqueror's time,
and son of Warine de Munchensy, and Agnes, daughter of Pain FitzJohn, his wife, and brother to Ralph, who died without issue, and
left Sir Warine, his cousin, his heir, he married Joan, second
daughter to William Marshal Earl of Pembrook, and in 1222, had
scutage of all his tenants that held by military service in Norfolk,
Suffolk, &c.; and in 1241, he was at that famous battle of Xantoine,
against the French; (fn. 7) in which, by his valiant deportment, he won
great renown. In the 34th of Henry III. the King ratified to him
all the liberties belonging to the lands of Ralph de Montchensy, his
uncle, whose heir he was, all which were first granted by King
Henry II.; among which, the tenants here were excused from the
sheriff's turn, and from toll, and from serving upon any juries out of
their manor, and he had assize of bread, ale, and wine with courtleet (fn. 8) allowed him, and this further privilege, that the King's bailiffs
should not enter his bailiwick of Winfarthing to take any distress,
but the bailiff of that bailiwick should do it. He died in 1255, being
then reputed one of the most noble, prudent, and wealthy men of all
the realm, his inventory amounting to 4000 marks, a prodigious sum
for that time. He left
William, his son, his heir, who had a park well stocked with
deer in this parish. In 1259, in the 46th of Henry III. he was one
of the discontented barons then at difference with the King, upon
which account he received notice, that in case he did not personally
repair to the court, to sign the agreement, (as divers of them did,)
he might send his seal, for the better confirmation thereof; and in the
48th of the same King, having been one of the chief commanders on
the part of the rebellious Barons in that fatal battle of Lewes, where
the King was made their prisoner, the next year, when they sum
moned a parliament in the King's name, he was one of the chief of
those Barons that then sat therein; but not long after this, being
taken at Kenilworth, in that notable surprise made by the forces of
Prince Edward, a little before the battle of Evesham, his lands were
seized, and given to William de Valence, half brother to the King,
and Earl of Pembrook, who had married his sister Joan; whereupon
Dionisia, his mother, who was daughter and heir of Nicholas de
Anesty, undertook to bring him, before the feast of St. Hillary, in
the 51st year of that King, to stand to the judgment of the King's
Court, in pursuance of the decree called Dictum de Kenilworth; but
being not able to perform it within that time, by reason of his sickness,
she promised to bring him upon that very day, when he had such fair
respect shewn him for his sister's sake, that William de Valence, her
husband, freely restored him his lands again; after which, in 1277,
he had a full pardon for his rebellion, and all the liberties granted by
King Henry II. to his ancestors, confirmed at large, with this additional one, that he might keep dogs to hunt the hare, fox, and
wild cat in his forests. In 1289, he went with the Earl of Cornwall
(then governour of the realm in the King's absence) into Wales against
Res Ap Griffith, at that time in the castle of Drosselau; (who had
made great depredations in those parts;) and as he, with divers others,
endeavoured to demolish that castle, by undermining it, he was with
them overwhelmed and killed with the fall thereof; at whose death,
Dionisia, his mother, had custody of his daughter and heiress,
Dionisia; and immediately after Hugh de Vere, a younger son
to Robert Earl of Oxford, who was then the King's servant, obtained license, and married her in 1296; and in consideration of
his great services in the French wars, had livery of her inheritance;
Dionisia, her grandmother, being then living, who being a devout
woman, founded Waterbeche nunnery in Cambridgeshire, in 1293;
she died in 1303, and her lands descended to
Hugh de Vere, who had no issue by his wife Dionisia, so that
her inheritance reverted to William de Valence, who had married
Joan, sister to the last William de Munchensi, who, after the death
of the said Hugh, had view of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale,
and a tumbrel, or cucking-stool, allowed to this manor. And thus
much of the ancient family of the Munchensis. (fn. 9) (fn. 10)
William de Valence Earl of Pembrook died seized, in right
of Joan his wife, aunt to the last Dionisia, and sister to William de
Audomar, or Aymer, de Valence Earl of Pembrook, his heir;
who, in 1321, held it by one fee of the barony of Munchensi, and
the manor or tenement called Hey-wood, of Robert Fitz-Walter, by
the fourth part of a fee. He died in 1323, leaving no male issue, so
that his sisters inherited, and this manor was allotted to
Isabell, who married John Hastings Lord Abergavenny, by
whom he had
John de Hastyngs, who succeeded him, and Elizabeth, a
daughter, married to Roger Lord Grey of Ruthin; John was succeeded by his son,
Laurence, who was five years old at his father's death, and by
the King's license was in the custody of Julian his mother, who
within a year after her first husband's death, married to Thomas le
Blount, after whose death she married a third time to William de
Clinton Earl of Huntingdon; this Earl, in 1351, is said to hold the
manors of Winfarthing and Heywood, as guardian to the said Laurence, who, as soon as he came of age, was declared Earl of Pembrook,
and the year following, being the 14th of Edward III. he attended
the King in that great adventure against the French at sea, where he
worthily shared in the glory of that victory obtained against them
near Sluys in Flanders: but this was not the only brave action of
this Earl, for he behaved himself valiantly all his life, as we find in
Dugdale's Baronage, (p. 576,) where his brave achievements, and
those of his family, are amply treated of. He died in 1347, leaving
John Hastyngs Earl of Pembrook, his son and heir, who married Anne, daughter of Sir Walter Manney, Knt. Being very active
in the French wars, in 1371, he was made Lieutenant of Acquitain,
at the special request of the inhabitants of that province, and was
then about 25 years old; but unlucky it was for him that he had
that honour, for upon his coming to the port of Rochell, which was
then beleaguered by the French, no sooner was he got into the haven,
but the Spanish fleet fell upon him, before he could put his men in
order to fight, so that he was taken prisoner, his ships burnt, and all
the English killed or taken, with no less than 20,000 marks, sent
over by the King to maintain the war. After he had undergone
four years imprisonment, with most inhumane usage, for a sum of
money he was to have been enlarged, upon which he came to Paris,
where falling sick, he hasted to Calais, but died on his journey, April
16, 1374, seized of these manors, which, among others, were assigned to
Anne, his widow, for her dower: she died in 1383,
John de Hastyngs, their son, being then about eleven years
old. This John, at the coronation of Richard II. (being then not
five years old,) claimed to carry the great golden spurs, and shewing
sufficient evidence of his right to do that service, Edmund Earl of
March (whose daughter Phillipa he married) was allowed to perform
it for him, by reason of his minority. He had no issue; for in the
13th Richard II. being then but seventeen years old, the King keeping his Christmass at Woodstock, and holding a tournament there,
this young earl ventured to tilt with Sir John St. John, by an unlucky
slip of whose lance he was run into the bottom of his belly, upon
which his bowels burst out, and he soon died, to the great grief of
many, being a person of so noble a disposition, that for bounty,
manhood, and courtesy, he exceeded all of his age, and most of his
degree. His untimely death was, at that time, thought a judgment
upon his family, in regard that Aymer de Valence Earl of Pembrook,
his ancestor, was one of those that passed sentence of death upon
Thomas Earl of Lancaster at Pontfract; for it was observed, that
after that judgment so given, none of the succeeding Earls of Pembrook ever saw his father. (fn. 11) At his death,
Reginald Lord Grey of Ruthyn was by some inquisitions found
to be his cousin, and heir of the whole blood, as descended lineally
from Elizabeth, sister to John de Hastyngs, father of John, grandfather of this Earl; (fn. 12) and by other inquisitions, Hugh de Hastyngs,
son of Hugh, son of Hugh, son of the same John de Hastyngs, by
Isabell, the daughter of Hugh Le Dispencer, his second wife, was
found his heir male, but of the half blood, for which reason he did
not inherit, though there was a great struggle for it, as there was for the arms of the
Hastyngses, between Edward Hastyngs,
great grandfather to this Hugh, and Reginald
Lord Grey of Ruthyn; it lasted little less
than twenty years, in the Court, before the
Constable and Marshal of England; and in
the end, the said Edward, though he was
heir male, was not only condemned in
970l. 17s. 10d. costs, (Grey swearing that
he had spent 1000 marks more,) but he was
imprisoned sixteen years for disobeying that
sentence, which was reputed a very hard
and unjust one, and so Hastyngs thought it,
for with extreme anguish of mind he died, leaving God's curse,
and his own, upon his descendants, if they did not attempt the vindication of their right.
But to return; Roger Lord Grey of Ruthyn, by the said Elizabeth
Hastyngs, had Reginald Lord Grey, whose son
Reginald inherited; and from an extent of this manor it appears, that here was then a hall, or manor-house, with a park well
stocked with deer, all which were nothing worth above their outgoings, and repairs; and another enclosure, called a park, fenced in
with pales, containing above 80 acres of arable land, worth 2d. each
acre; that there were 8 acres meadow, worth 8d. each acre; that the
quitrents were 10l. besides 600 days works in winter, worth a halfpenny each day; and 300 days works in autumn, worth 1d. each
day, together with a wood called Hulver Wood, the underwood of
which was worth 12d. a year; there was also a chase upon Winfarthing Common and Banham Green, worth 6d. a year, a windmill
worth 2s. a year; the suits and perquisites of the courts worth 3s. 4d.
a year clear. But though the Lord Grey inherited the rest of the
Earl of Pembrook's estate, this and Heywood manors were in dower,
and held by Phillipa, widow of the last earl, till 1400, in which year
she died, having enjoyed it, notwithstanding Edward Hastyng's
claim. He married Margaret, daughter of Sir William de Roos, by
whom he had John, who married Constance, daughter of John Holland Duke of Exon, and relict of Thomas Mowbray Earl-Marshal;
he died before his father, leaving two sons, Edmund and Thomas, at
his grandfather's death, which was in 1440,
Edmund became heir to his honour and estate; he married Catharine, daughter to Henry Peircy Earl of Northumberland, and in
the 5th of Edward IV. was created Earl of Kent; at his death in
1488, he left these manors in dower to Catharine, his widow, who
died about 1399: and then they went to
George Earl of Kent, their son, who by suffering a recovery,
settled it on King Henry VII. for payment of a great debt, with a
remainder to himself and his heirs. After this, it was settled on
Catherine, his second wife, who enjoyed it for her life; and then it
Richard Grey Earl of Kent, who died in 1523, having greatly
wasted his estate. This and Heywood was part of the jointure of
Elizabeth his wife; but in 1505, with her and her trustees consent,
he sold them to
Robert Le'Strange, and his heirs, and a fine was levied accordingly, viz. of 2800 acres of land, 30l. rent in Winfarthing, Diss,
Shelfhanger, Titshall, and Bokenham castle; and thus it passed from
that family; (fn. 13) this Robert Le'Strange dying seized, and left it to
John Le'Strange, his executor, to sell, of whom it was purchased by
Thomas Duke of Norfolk, from which time it went with that
family, till Thomas Earl of Arundel and Surry sold this and Heywood,
about 1643, to
Sir John Marsham of Cuckstone in Kent, Bart. who died seized
in 1692, leaving it to his son,
Sir John Marsham, Bart. who died under age, and unmarried,
in 1694, so that it came to
Sir Robert Marsham, Bart. in 1697; he was one of the six
clerks in Chancery, and uncle to Sir John; he was succeeded by
Sir Robert Marsham, his son, who, by letters patent, was
created Baron of Romney in Kent, and, in 1720, obtained an Act
of Parliament to sell this estate, and to settle another in Kent already
purchased, to the same uses; upon which it was vested in
Sir Thomas Daeth, Bart. and Edmund Probyn, (fn. 14) serjeant at
law, who, in 1724, conveyed it to
Humphry South of London, merchant, to the use of
Mrs. Elizabeth Gray of London, (only child of John Gray,
late of the island of Barbadoes, Esq.) who, by virtue of that purchase,
is now  patroness and lady of both Winfarthing and Heywood,
which is called Winfarthing Outsoken manor.
In Queen Elizabeth's time there was a great suit for these manors,
between the Earl of Surrey, who recovered, and the Earl of Kent,
at which time Heywood manor was 26l. and Winfarthing 14l. per
The leet belonged to the court-baron, (fn. 15) and the courts of the
insoken and outsoken of this manor extended into Brisingham,
Here were two parks, viz. the old and new park, and the rector
had the herbage of both, for the composition of which 29s. 4d. was
paid him; the rent of Hulver Wood was 6d. To this manor belongs
Banham Heath, a great part of which lies in Diss hundred, which is
divided by the Mere called the Hundred Mere, which divides the
hundreds of Diss, Shropham, and Giltcross; and the drift of it, as
far as that Mere belongs to Winfarthing, and is in the bounds of that
parish; and according to ancient custom, the tenants of Winfarthing
always drive their part the last day of April, and impound all weyfs
and strays, in a ground called the Hall-Yards, in Winfarthing great
park, in which the manor-house did heretofore stand. In 1604, this
park was full of deer, and Sir Bassingbourn Gawdy of West Herling,
Knt. had every year a fee doe and buck, and liberty of hunting them
in that park, which was then my Lord of Arundell's.
This parish hath lands belonging to it, now  let at 16l. per
annum, of the gift of divers persons, out of which 2l. 11s. (called
Lowndes' and Alden's gifts) is annually at Easter to be divided
among such poor as are not collectioners, by the rector and churchwardens; the rest was given to repair the church. They have also
three town-houses, one hath an acre of land adjoining to it, and
another was the old Gildhall, the lands of which gild, were seized
by the Crown, and were given by Queen Elizabeth, in the 27th year
of her reign, to the Hallyats.
In 1600, there were 189 communicants, and now there are 50
dwelling-houses, and about 260 inhabitants. It paid 1l. 16s. to the
tenths, was valued at 1236l. to the parliament valuation, and now
at 934l. to the land tax. [1736.]
The Customs of the Manor are these: the eldest son is heir;
the fine is at the lord's will; it gives no dower; the tenants build up,
pull down, plant on the waste, and fell timber, without license.
The leet belongs to the hundred.
The Customs of the Rectory were first exemplified A° 45 Eliz.
and after that A° 8 James I. 7 June, and are these:
They pay 1d. a year for each cow, in lieu of lactage.
For every calf under seven, 1 ob. the seventh being due in kind to
the rector, he allowing 1 ob. for each calf above seven, and under
Instead of tithe hay, or herbage, the parishioners pay 2d. an acre
to the rector, except all tithe hay growing on the common meadows,
which is due in kind.
They pay for every foal 1d. a year, till it comes to work.
And for every heifer 1d. a year, till it is milked, or otherwise
Every inhabitant on All-Saint's Day pays 1 ob. in lieu of all tithe
for fruit, and all fuel spent in the town.
Tithe pease are due every tenth stetch, as soon as they are cut by
the owner; all corn, and other small and great tithes whatsoever,
are due in their proper kind, the small tithes on Lammas Day, the
rest as they are separated. (fn. 16)