Received its name from the number of bucks with which the woods
here formerly abounded, Bucham, Bukham, and Bukenham, being
plainly the village of bucks, and not of beech trees, as Mr. Camden
imagined, (fn. 1) there being none of them in this county, as Sir Henry
Spelman, righly observes; (fn. 2) and the additional title of Old was afterwards added, to distinguish it from New-Bukenham, which was taken
out of it.
Ralf Guader Earl of Norfolk owned the whole town (except the
carucate which belonged to Bury abbey) in the Confessor's time,
when there were 3 carucates in demean, and woods sufficient to
maintain 182 swine, 21 socmen of his own, and 43 that were under
the protection of other men, all which the Earl joined to his manor.
In the Conqueror's time it was worth 6l. 13s. 4d. and two sextaries
of honey; and when all was joined, it was risen to 32l. 13s. 4d. and
20s. as a present or gift; it was two miles long and as much broad,
and paid 19d. geld or tax out of every 20s. raised on the hundred. (fn. 3)
This Earl fled the realm, and so forfeited all his estate to the Conqueror, who owned it at the survey, when it was one of his manors
that he entrusted Earl Goderic with the management of. At this
time there were only two parishes, viz. All-Saints and St. Andrew's,
and a castle which stood just by the abbey. The land on which
New-Bukenham was after built was that part of St. Andrew's parish
which belonged to the Bishop of Thetford's manor of Eccles, and was
Called Bishop's-Haugh, the tithes of which now are, and always were,
paid to the rector of Eccles, the land belonging to that manor originally, and the Bishop granting them to the domestick chaplain of
his palace at Eccles, to whom he generally gave that rectory.
Albini. The Conqueror gave the castle and manor, and all that
belonged to Earl Ralf, to William de Albany, Albini, Albigni, de
Albenio, (fn. 4) who came into England with him, together with Wymondham, Snetesham, and Kenningkall, (fn. 5) to be held by the service of being
butler to the Kings of England on the day of their coronation, (fn. 6) for
which reason he was always styled Pincerna Regis, or the King's
Butler; he founded Wymondham abbey, where he was buried, before
the high altar, by Maud his wife, daughter of Roger Bygot Earl of
Norfolk, with whom he had 10 knights fees in Norfolk, of Earl
Roger's gift; he was son of Roger de Albini, by Amy de Molbray
his wife, and brother to that famous Nigell de Albini, whose posterity
assumed the name of Mowbray, or Molbray, from that of his mother. (fn. 7)
William, his eldest son, succeeded him; he was called William
with the strong hand, because among other valiant exploits, he slew
a fierce lion; the occasion was thus, as Mr. Dugdale relates it: " It
happened that the Queen of France, being then a widow, and a
very beautiful woman, became much in love with a knight of that
country, who was a comely person, and in the flower of his youth;
and because she thought that no man excelled him in valour, she
caused a tournament to be proclaimed throughout her dominions,
promising to reward those who should exercise themselves therein,
according to their respective merits; and concluding, that if the
person whom she so well affected, should act his part better than
others, in those military exercises, she might marry him without
any dishonour to herself.
Hereupon divers gallant men, from foreign parts, hasting to
Paris, among others came this our William de Albini, bravely
accoutred, and in the tournament excelled all others, overcoming
many, and wounding one mortally with his launce; which being
observed by the Queen, she became exceedingly enamoured of
him, and forthwith invited him to a costly banquet, and afterwards
bestowing certain jewels upon him, offered him marriage. But
having plighted his troth to the Queen of England, then a widow,
refused her: whereat she grew so discontented, that she consulted
with her maids, how she might take away his life; and in pursuance
of that design, enticed him into a garden, where there was a secret
cave, and in it a fierce lion, into which she descended by divers
steps, under colour of shewing him the beast. And when she told
him of his fierceness, he answered, that it was a womanish and not
manly quality, to be afraid thereof, but having him there, by the
advantage of a folding door, thrust him in to the lion. Being
therefore in this danger, he rolled his mantle about his arm, and
putting his hand into the mouth of the beast, pulled out his tongue
by the root; which done he followed the Queen to her palace, and
gave it to one of her maids, to present to her.
Returning therefore into England, with the fame of this glorious
exploit, he was forthwith advanced to the Earldom of Arundell,
and for his arms the lion given him; nor was it long after, that
the Queen of England accepted him for her husband, whose name was
Adeliza, or Alice, widow to King Henry I. and daughter to Godfrey, Duke of Lorrain, which Adeliza had the castle of Arundell,
and county, in dowry from that King." (fn. 8) And in the beginning of
King Henry the Second's time, he not only obtained the castle and
honour of Arundell to himself and his heirs, but also a confirmation of
the Earldom of Sussex, (fn. 9) granted to him by the third penny of the
pleas of that county, which in ancient times was the usual way of investing such great men in the possession of any earldom, after those
ceremonies of girding with the sword, and putting on the robes,
were performed, which have ever, till of late, been thought essential
to their creation. In the time of King Stephen he founded the abbey
here, and built the present castle, as you may see in the accounts of
them; and dying in 1176, was buried by his father at Wymondham.
William de Albini, his eldest son, Earl of Arundell, became
lord at his father's death, and paid 100l. for his relief, for his estate in
Norfolk; he married Maud, daughter and heiress of James de Sancto
Hillario, and dying at Waverley in 1176, was buried at Wymondham.
William de Albini, or Albany, Earl of Arundell and Sussex,
his son, succeeded; he married Mabell, daughter of Hugh Kiviliock
Earl of Chester, by whom he had two sons and four daughters,
William and Hugh, both Earls of Sussex; he died in 1199, and was
buried at Wymondham.
William de Albany, Earl of Arundell and Sussex, son of
William aforesaid, and Mabell his wife, died in his return from Damieta in Palestine, anno 1221, and was brought over into England
by Thomas, a monk of St. Albans, and buried by his ancestors at
Wymondham abbey, leaving his brother,
Hugh de Albany Earl of Arundel and Sussex, his heir, (fn. 10) whom
Hugh de Burgh, Chief Justice of England, had the custody of, which
he assigned to William Earl Warren, who in his right served King
Henry III. at his nuptials, with the royal cup, the said Hugh being
then a youth, and not knighted; he married Isabel, daughter of the
said Earl Warren, who, after his death, founded the nunnery of
Marham, at her own charge, out of her dowry, and died in 1242,
without issue, (fn. 11) leaving his great inheritance to be divided among his
four sisters, his heiresses, (fn. 12) and was buried with his ancestors in the
abbey church of St. Mary at Wymondham, Isabel his widow having the
manors of Wimondham and Kenninghall assigned for her maintenance,
till her dowry was set out, which was done soon after, and the
manors of Snetesham, Wimondham, Plesset, and Kenninghall, with the
hundred of Giltcross in Norfolk, besides many others in other connties, were allotted to her. (fn. 13)
Robert de Tateshale, and Mabell (fn. 14) his wife, who was the
eldest, had the castle and manors of Bukenham, Wimondham, &c.
for their capital seat.
John, son of John Fitz-Alan, and Isabel his wife, who was fourth
sister, had Arundel castle, manor, &c. for their capital seat.
Roger de Somery, who married Nicholea, the third sister had
Barwe in Leicestershire, &c. for their chief seat.
Roger ee Montealt, who married Cecily, the second sister,
had the castle of Rising, with the manors of Kenninghall, Snetesham,
&c. for their principal seat; together with the hundred of Smithdon,
and the fourth part of the tollbooth at Lynn, which was now divided
into four parts, so that a fourth part attended each of the inheritances.
And thus the castle and manor came to
Sir Robert de Tateshale, who made it his principal seat. He
was descended from Eudo, who with Pinco, his sworn brother in War,
(though no other way related,) came into England with Duke William,
and merited so well from him in that service, that in recompense thereof he gave them the lordship of Tateshale, with Thorp hamlet, and
Kirkeby town in Lincolnshire, to be equally shared between them;
Eudo to hold his part of the King, and Pinco his of St. Cuthbert of
Durham. Eudo settled at Tateshale, and assumed its name for his
sirname. His arms were, chequy or and gul. a chief erm.; he was
succeeded by Hugh his son, who founded Kirstead abbey in Lincolnhire. In 1139, Robert, his son, inherited, who left Philip,
whose son, Sir Robert de Tateshale, was so great a benefactor to
Bukenham priory, that the canons of that house altered their common seal, and put in his arms along with their founder's. Among
other things, he gave the church of St. Martin in New-Bukenham,
and half an acre of land in Gunneby, called Munkwell, with the advowson of the church of Gunneby, for a yearly pittance; (fn. 15) he left
Sir Robert de Tateshale, who married Mabell aforesaid,his
son and heir, who granted to the canons here liberty of faldage for
200 sheep in Atleburgh, with free pasturage for them there, and 53
acres arable land in Bukenham, besides other gifts. In Lovell's Book
in the Exchequer, (fn. 16) he is found to hold this castle and manor by the
service of the botelry, and the manors of Babingle, Tibenham, Topcroft, and Denton, in capite, as parcel of his barony. After Mabell's
death he married a daughter of John De-Grey, and died in 1248,
Robert, his son and heir, then 26 years old, who married Joan,
daughter of Ralf Fitz-Ranulf, lord of Midlcham in Yorkshire. He
stood firm to Henry III. in his barons wars, and was besieged in his
castle of Bukenham by Sir Henry Hastyngs. He died in 1272, seized
of Bukenham manor and castle of Tibenham, Topcroft, Denton, &c.
with all the knights fees held of the lordship or honour, together
with the advowsons of Reydon, Stanhow, Congham St. Mary, and two
parts of Atleburgh, of Wimondham abbey, the fourth part of Lynn
tolbooth, &c. leaving
Sir Robert de Tateshale, bis son and heir, then 24 years old,
who, in 1285, had view of frankpledge, free-warren, and gallows, and
a Saturday market, assize of bread and ale, and a fair yearly on St.
Martin's Day, and another market every Thursday in Attleburgh,
belonging to his manor of Bukenham castle, and Plassing Hall in
Besthorp. In an old roll about this time, it appears that there were
many manors held by knight's service of this castle, and among the
free tenants by scutage were these, Sir William de Montecaniso, Giles
de Wachesham, Knt. Sir Harvy de Stanhaw, Sir William Cumyn, Sir
Richard de Quatefeld, the lady Lora de Bayliol, the heirs of Simon de
Keninghall, Ralf de Morley, Richard de Snittertone, Sir Robert de
Sheltone, John de Berdewelle.
Mathew Cachevache, Robert de Bukenham, &c. were tenants in
William and John de Hargham, Richard, son of Will. de Snitterton,
Tho. de Ascheby, held lands in Hargham by soccage, and so did
Richard de Lirling, and Sir Will. de Lirling's heirs; John de Methellond in Lirling, Roger de Caston in Ellingham, Will. and Richard de
Mortimer, Peter de Thelvetham, William, son of Will. de Fossato, in
Attleburgh, &c. In 1283, he was lord of the castle and manor of
Bukenham, the manor of Lathes in Old-Bukenham, the burgage, and
the court belonging to the weekly market in New Bukenham, the
manors of Wimondham, Topcroft, Denton, Tibenham, Freebridge hundred, &c. and died in 1297, leaving his estate to
Sir Robert, (fn. 17) his son and heir, then 24 years old, married to Eve,
daughter of Robert de Tibetot, who, after his decease, married to Sir
John de Cove, and held Shropham hundred, Topcroft and Denton
manors, in dower, till 1349. He died in 1302, leaving
Robert de Tateshale,his son and heir, then 15 years old, who
died a minor, without issue, in 1310, leaving his inheritance divisible
among his three aunts, or their heirs:
Emma, or Amy, married Sir Osbert de Caily, Knt.
Joan, Sir Robert (fn. 18) de Dryby, Knt.
Isabel, Sir John de Orreby, Knt. Among whom the estate was
divided, as follows.
Thomas (fn. 19) de Caily, (fn. 20) son of Sir Osbert, had livery of his mother's
inheritance in 1306, when he had Bukenham castle, and the advow
son of the priory there, the fourth part of the manor, and the half
parts of other manors thereto belonging, two parts of Wimondham,
the fourth part of all the lands in Atleburgh, and the third part of
those in Tibenham, the third part of two parts of the fourth part of
the profits of Lynn tolbootb called the Green Garth, and 11l. 2s.
yearly rent in Norfolk; all of which, together with Cranwich, EastBradenham, Hildeburgworth or Hilburgh, the advowson of Hilburgh
church, and of St. Margaret's free chapel there, he died seized in
3316, leaving Adam, son of Sir Roger de Clifton, by Margaret, his
only sister, his cousin and heir, then nine years old.
Joan de Driby had the castle of Tatshale, &c. and the 8th part
of Bukenham manor, the third part of Wimondham, 150 acres of
land, several parcels of meadow and pasture, 7s. ob. rent, and the
rent of two sparrow or sparhawks, in Old and New-Bukenham, Atleburgh, and Elingham, and a third part of the hundred of Shropham,
which was then divided, and each had an equal share attending their
inheritances, all which this Joan, then widow of Robert de Driby,
Gilbert de Bernak, parson of Tateshale, and John de Gislingham, parson of Wolfreton, her trustees, who were to bold it for her
use during her life, remainder to William Bernak and Alice his wife,
who died about 1340, seized of the third parts of Wimondham and
Bukenham, manors, and the third part of Plassing Hall or Plesset's,
in Atleburgh and Besthorp.
In 1340, the aforesaid Hugh (fn. 21) Bernak, clerk, died, when he held
Old-Bukenham part, for life, by feoffment from Alice Bernak, and
John, son of William Bernak, remainder to John and his heirs, who
died in 1345, seized of the whole manors of Hetherset, Denton, and
Plassing Hall, and the third part of Wymondham, and Bukenham,
and this year Joan his widow was allowed her dower out of all the
said manors; but soon after it was settled wholly on particular
manors. John Bernak, his eldest son, died a minor, leaving his inheritance to William, his brother and heir, who died in 1359, leaving
Maud, his sister, then wife of Sir Ralf de Cromwell, lord of Tateshale,
his sole heir.
John de Orreby, and Isabel his wife, had among others, the
manor of Tibenham in Norfolk, (except the third part of the park,
which Tho. de Caily held, in part of his portion,) and the eighth part
of Bukenham manor, in recompense of the eighth part of the parks of
Bukenham, which was assigned to the said Thomas, and the eighth
part of the lands in Attleburgh, viz. 19 messuages, &c. in Attleburgh,
Bukenham, Besthorp, Elyngham, aud Tybenham. Phillip de Orreby
was their son and heir, whose son, John de Orreby, died in 1352,
leaving Margaret his widow, who died in 1368, and Joan de Orreby,
his sole daughter and heiress, who married first to Sir Henry Percy,
who died in 1367, and after to Sir Constantine Clifton; she had one
daughter, Mary Piercy, her sole heiress, who was married to Sir John
Roos of Hamlak, Knt. without issue, but died before her mother.
In 1360, Sir Ralf Cromwell, Knt. in right of Maud Bernak,
his wife, became lord of the manors of Hethersete, Plassinghall in
Besthorp, Denton, &c. all which (except Hetherset (fn. 22) were held of the
King in capite, as parcel of the barony of Taleshall; he had his parts
of Bukenham, Wymundham, and Shropham hundred, for which he did
homage to the King, and had livery thereof, to him and his heirs by Maud.
In 1394, a writ was directed to John Knevet, escheator of Norfolk, to divide the lands, and deliver seizin to Constantine de Clifton, and Maud,
wife of Sir Ralf Cromwell, Knt. cousins and heirs of Mary, widow of
John Lord Roos of Hamlak, daughter and heir of Joan, daughter and
heir of John de Orreby. In 1395, he had the fourth part of Lathes
manor, two parts of Gryshaugh in Wymondham, and the parts of the
manors of Old and New-Bukenham, Tybenham, &c. as they were divided by their ancestors. This Ralf died in 1398, Maud his widow
died in 1418, leaving Ralf (fn. 23) (after Lord Cromwell) her grandson and
heir, he being son of Ralf, who died in his father's lifetime; he was
after Lord Treasurer, but having no issue by Margaret, daughter of
John, and sister and coheir of William Lord Deincourt, his wife, at his
death in 1455, his three aunts (fn. 24) became his heirs, viz. Elizabeth,
married to Sir John Clifton; Hawise, to Thomas Lord Bardolph; and
Maud; to John Fitz-Williams; and they inherited his whole estate,
viz. Plasset, or Plassinghall manor, which is a member of Bukenham
manor, Bukenham, the fourth part of Lyn tolbooth, the advowsons of
Attleburgh, Congham, St. Agnes, and St Mary, Stanhow, Denton,
and Tasboro, the manors of Herdesete, Wymundham, Gonvyle's in
Wymundham, Besthorp, Eccles, Tibenham, Denton, Babingle, &c.
He was buried in his collegiate church of Tateshale.
And now we must return to the Cliftons, who all along held the
castle, and the best part of the manor, from the year 1316, when
Adam, (fn. 25) son of Sir Roger de Clifton, by Margaret, only sister to Sir
Tho. de Caily, became his heir; he married Eleanor, daughter of Sir
Robert Mortimer of Attleburgh, Knt. who died in 1366, and had
two sons; Constantine, his eldest, died before him, but left issue
by Katherine, daughter of Wm De-la-pole, his wife; Sir John Clifton,
Knt. Sir Adam de Clifton, Knt. his second son, who had Denvcre, and
Frebridge hundred, &c. to him and his heirs male, died anno 1411,
leaving Sir Robert Clifton, Knt. his son and heir, who was sheriff of
Norfolk in 1412,and died in 1442, (fn. 26) and was buried in Bukenham
priory, as was Alice, his widow, in 1455; Thomas Clifton, Esq. their
son and heir, died in 1452; Joan, his widow, was alive in 1462; they
left Sir Robert Clifton, Knt. (fn. 27) their son and heir, who died without
issue male in 1490, and his estate went to Sir William Knevet, Knt.
son of Sir John, and grandson of Sir John Knevet, who married
Elizabeth, sister, and at length heiress, to Sir John Clifton, the last
male of the elder branch, to which we must now return.
Sir John Clifton, Knt. of Bukenham castle in 1373, had livery
of all his lands, as heir to Sir Adam de Clifton, his grandfather; he
was summoned to parliament from 1375 to 1388, when he died,
on St. Lawrence's Day, at Rhodes, seized of Bukenham castle and
manors, Hilburghworth, West Bradenham, and Cranwyse, with the
advowsons of Hilburgh and Cranwyse, and the manor of Babyngle,
&c. leaving Constantine, his son and heir, then 16 years old. He
married Elizabeth, one of the heirs of Ralf Lord Cromwell, by which
match that part of Bukenham, &c. which she had for her share,
united again; she outlived him, and married Sir Edward Bensted.
Constantine, their son and heir, had livery of his inheritance in
1393, and was summoned to parliament in that and the next year,
but never after; (fn. 28) he married Katherine, daughter of Robert Lord
Scales, by Margaret, daughter of Robert Howard of East-Winch, who
outlived him, and held in dower, till 1432, fin which year she died,)
the manor of Babyngle, two parts of Gryshaugh in Wymoudham, Bukenham, Lathes manor, the profits of the court at Attleburgh, the court
of the market at New-Bukenham, and the part of Lyn tolbooth, all
which at her death joined to the rest of the estate, in their son and heir,
Sir John Clifton (fn. 29) of Bukenham castle Knt. who died in 1447,
seized of Bukenham castle, and the greater parts of the manors
thereto belonging, of the hundred of Shropham, the manor of Briston,
Grishagh, Topcroft, Denton, Babingle, Hilboro, Cranwich, West Bradenham, a third part of Becon's manor, &c. by his will, proved in
1447, Sept. 8, he ordered to be buried in the church of St. Mary at Wymondham priory, and gave to the high altar of the church of St Martin
at New-Bukenham, 40s. and 10 marks to repair the church; to the gild
of the Blessed Virgin in that church, 10 marks; to Guy, his gentleman, 100s.; to John Fader, 2s. a day for his life, out of Bukenham
castle manor, to keep the park; to Joan his wife, his manor of
Burston in fee simple, (fn. 30) the castle of Bukenham, Lathes manor, Shropham hundred, and Tibenham manor, to her for life; and orders his
executors to perform the will of Constantine Clifton, as to settling
10l. a year rent on Bukenham priory; he also gave 10l. annual rent
to the Prior of Wymondham, out of his own lands, to find a monk for
ever to sing for his and Joan his wife's soul. He gave Grishagh
manor in Wymondham, the manors of Babingle and Wolferton in
Norfolk, and Walderton manor in Sussex, and other lands and tenements of his own purchase, to be sold, &c. the manors of Hilboro,
Cranewich, and West Bradenham, to be held by his executors twelve
years, and then to go to his right heirs; Robert Clifton, his cousin,
to have the manor of Topcroft cum Denton to him and his heirs, on
condition he made a free estate to his executors in his manors of
Hankers in Harleston, and Shelley, one of which was to be sold by
his executors, and the other to go to his heirs, according to the
change agreed on between them; John Briggs to have an annuity
out of Linford manor, and the refusal of buying it; Joan his wife,
John Heydon, John Brigge, &c. executors; his good lord the
Marquis of Suffolk, Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. and his cousin Thomas
Tuddenham, supervisors; and by a codicil he declares, that he had
sold to his beloved son, Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. for 3000 marks, the
castle, manors, and hundred of Shropham, two parts of Grishagh, &c.
on condition to find a chaplain in the conventual church of St. James
at Old-Bukenham, according to the will of Constantine Clifton, Esq.
his father, for which he was to amortise lands to that value; (fn. 31) he also
gave 20s. towards the building of Wymondham new steeple. Joan
his wife was daughter and coheir of Sir Edmund de Thorp, Knt. the
younger, of Ashwell-Thorp, and widow of Sir Rob. Echingham; they
had only one daughter, viz.
Margaret Clifton, who married Sir Andrew Ogard (fn. 32) of Bukenham castle, Knt.; she died issueless, before her father; Sir Andrew
died in 1454, and the whole estate reverted to
Elizabeth, aunt to the said Margaret, who married Sir John
Knevet, Knt.; but yet, in 14.39, Alice, first widow of Sir Andrew
Ogard, Knt. then of Sir Hugh Cokessey of Cokessey in Worcestershirc,
held the castle and manors, and those of Lathes, New-Bukenham,
Honyngham, Tybenham, and Wylby, two parts of Grisagh, Bromley,
and Bokham in Surrey, to her death in 1460.
John Fitz-Williams, lord of Elmly and Spotsburgh in Yorkshire, married Maud, one of the heiresses of Ralf Lord Cromwell,
and in her right had a third part of the third part of the manor; they
left Sir John Fitz-Williams their son and heir, who married Eleanor,
daughter of Sir Henry Green of Drayton in Northamptonshire, whose
son, Sir John Fitz-Williams of Elmley, married Margaret, daughter
of Tho. Clavel the elder of Aldwark, whose son, Will. Fitz-Williams
of Elmley, married Elizabeth, daughter of Tho. Chaworth, whose son,
John Fitz-Williams, senior, married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John
Conyers, Knt. of Stockton in the county of Durham; John Fitz-Williams, Esq. their son, died in 1487, before his father, and left by
Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Fitz-Williams, his wife, one son,
William Fitz-Williams of Elmley, Esq. (fn. 33) who married Margaret,
daughter of Sir Rob. Broughton, and dying without issue in 1516,
left his two aunts his heirs, Margaret married to Tho. Southill of
Southill Hall in Yorkshire, who had one daughter, Elizabeth, married
to Sir Henry Savile of Thornhill in Yorkshire; and Dorothy, to Sir
Will. Cropley of Sportsburgh, Knt. by whom he had Phillip Cropley;
but as the chief, if not all this part, was united to the other, by different purchases, it will be needless to trace their descendants any further, the whole being united in the Knevets.
Sir John Knevet, Knt. of Bukenham castle, Norfolk, married
Elizabeth, sister, and at length heiress, of Sir John Clifton, Knt. and,
in 1461, held the castle and manors of Old and New-Bukenham,
Lathes, two parts of Grishaugh in Wymondham, &c.; he was son of
John de Knevet, Esq. by Joan, daughter and coheir of John Buttetort of Mendlesham in Suffolk, and grandson to Sir John Knevet,
Knt. Lord Chancellor of England in 1371. He left
Sir John Knevet of Bukenham castle, Knt. his son and heir, who
married Alice, daughter and coheir of Will. Lynnes, by whom he had
Sir William Knevet of Bukenham castle, Knt. who, in 1483,
was attainted by the name of Sir Will. Knevet, Knt. of Bukenham,
conjurer, together with the Earl of Richmond, John Earl of Oxford,
&c. in the parliament summoned the 25th Jan. 1st Richard III. as
being partakers with Henry Earl of Richmond, (afterwards Henry VII.)
which cost him a good part of his estate, for he conveyed to that
King his castle and manor of Bukenham, the manors of Old-Bukenham, Carleton, and Tibenham, which he had again, when that monster was taken off; and then also he was forced to convey to Sir
James Tirretl, that King's great favourite, and then Constable of the
Tower, his manors of Hilboro, and two parts of Grishaugh in Wyndham. In 1491, he was found to be cousin and heir to Sir Robert
Clifton, Knt. being then 51 years old. He had three wives; first,
Alice, daughter of John Grey, brother of Reginald Lord Grey of
Ruthyn, and widow of Nicholas Gibson, sheriff of London; his second was Joan, daughter of Humphry Stafford Duke of Buckingham; she was living in Richard the Third's time, and was called
Lady Beaumont; the third was Joan, daughter of Tho. Courtney,
relict of Sir Roger Clifford, Knt. one of the sisters and coheirs of
Tho. Courtney Earl of Devonshire, by whom he had no issue. By
Alice his first wife he had
Edmund Knevet, his son and heir, who married Eleanor, daughter of Sir William, and sister of Sir James Tirrell, of Gipping in Suffolk, Knt.; he was unfortunately drowned, (fn. 34) but left several sons, of
which Edmund Knevet, his second son, was serjeant-porter to King
Henry VIII.; (fn. 35) he married Jane, daughter and sole heiress of John
Bourchier, the last Lord Berners, from whom descended the Ashwellthorp family.
Sir Thomas Knevett of Bukenham castle, Knt. his eldest son,
was Standard-bearer to King Henry VIII. of whom he got a grant of
the priory at its dissolution, with its appurtenances in Old and NewBukenham, viz. St. Andrew's and All-Saint's churches, the Priory
manor, &c. all which continued in the family till Sir Phillip Knevet
sold them. He married Muriel, daughter of Tho. Howard Duke of
Norfolk, relict of John Grey Viscount Lisle, by whom he left several
children, Sir Henry Knevet, his third son, settled at Charlton in Wilts.
Sir Edmund Knevet of Bukenham castle, his eldest son, married
Joan, daughter of Sir John Shelton of Shelton in Norfolk, by whom
Sir Tho. Knevet of Bukenham castle, who married Catherine,
daughter of Stanley Earl of Darby, and died Sept. 22, 1569. By his
will, dated Sept. 8, 1569, he ordered to be buried in New-Bukenham
church, in the same tomb in which Katherine his late wife lies, and
gave to every one of his yeoman-waiters 40s.; to each of his servants,
20s. and ordered them to be maintained half a year after his death,
that they might provide for themselves; he gave 40s. to repair the
church; his manors of Mendlesham in Suffolk, and Hilboro in Norfolk, to descend to his next heir, which is for the whole and full third
part of all his manors, to the intent that the Queen's Majesty may
thereof be satisfied for her wardships, &c.; but if they will not do,
the rest must be out of his manor of Bukenham. He settled OldBokenham manors and castle, the burgage of New-Bukenham, Lathes,
Tatersall's manor in Carleton, Tybenham manor, the little park, or
Cromwell's Park in Wyndham, Bukenham Close manor, the parsonages of All-Saints and St. Andrew's, the priory with its appurtenances,
&c. according to the statute of the 32d of Henry VIII. which allows
a man to assign two-thirds of all his manors, for advancement of his
children, on his executors, during the minority of his eldest son, to
pay his debts, and raise 2000l. to buy manors with, to settle on Henry,
his second son, in fee simple, with whom he ordered 20l. per annum
should be paid to the master and fellows of Corpus Christi college in
Cambridge, to bring him up till 18 years old, and then the executors
are to pay him 40l. a year, till the manors are settled when he is of
age. He gave the lease which he had of Hilburgh parsonage, of the
grant of Richard Coggell, parson there, to his two brothers, Henry
and Antony Knevet, Esqrs. with the two next turns of that benefice,
and his ewe-course in Attleborough; to Oliver Mellynge his servant,
the next turn of Mendlesham vicarage. Henry Knevet and Edmund
his brother, Henry his son, and Tho. Knevet, his eldest son, Roger
Wodehouse of Kimburle, Esq. Francis Thursbye of Congham, Esq.
Francis Gawdye of Wellington, Esq. and Robert Rogers of Colton,
Gent. executors; Thomas Duke of Norfolk, Edward Earl of Darby,
Thomas Earl of Sussex, and Henry Lord Morley, supervisors. Henry
Knevet, Esq. Gregory and Robert Buxton, Gents. &c. witnesses. (fn. 36)
Sir Thomas, his son, then 3 years 10 months and 2 weeks old, who
married Catherine, daughter of Sir Tho. Lovell of East-Herling, who
after married Edward Spring, and after that George Downe of Little
Melton, Esq. by whom she had issue. He died Sept. 26,1594, leaving
Sir Phillip Knevet (fn. 37) of Bukenham castle, his son and heir, then
11 years, 4 months, and 22 days old; he was sheriff of Norfolk in
1650, created Baronet June 29, 1611, and for 18,508l. 10s. (fn. 38) he sold to
Hugh Audley and his heirs the castle and priory of Old-Bukenham,
the manors of Old-Bukenham, viz. the castle manor, Lathes, alias
Laches, the Priory, and the Close manors, the manor or burgage of
New-Bukenham, Tatersall's, or Tibenham Hall, otherwise TibenhamKnevet's, otherwise Carleton-Rode, and the tithes of all the premises
in Bukenham, by deed dated 25 June, 1649.
Hugh Audley aforesaid was sheriff of Norfolk, and dying without
issue left three sisters; Elizabeth, married first to Stephen Peacock,
and after to John Jennings; Alice, to Sebastian Beaufoy of London,
Gent.; Sarah, to Robert Harvey of London, (fn. 39) Comptroller of the
Custom-house, whose son, William Harvey of London and LowLayton, was baptized at Bow chapel, 25th Sept. 1599; he married
Sarah, daughter of Will. Barret of London, by whom he had three
sons, Robert, Hugh, and Benjamin, each of which inherited a third
part; for in 1666, Oct. 6, the said Hugh settled the whole (except
Tibenham manor, which was settled on Robert Harvey, (fn. 40) &c.)
on himself for life, remainder to William Harvey, his nephew, for
life, remainder to Robert, Hugh, and Benjamin, sons of William,
equally to be shared; Ambrose Holbech of Mallington in Warwickshire, second son of Ambrose Holbech of the same, married
Sarah Harvey, and became possessed of that third part, which was her
brother Benjamin's; and about 1693, partition was made between
Ambrose his son, who had got Hugh's part also, and Robert Harvey
of Low-Layton in Essex, who married Rebecca, daughter of Mr.
Bowater of London, and at his death left his part to John Harvey,
Esq. his son and heir, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir James
Honblon of London, Knt. He built the seat at Old-Bukenham
called St. Andrews, (fn. 41) and settled there, and at his death left Robert
Harvey, Esq. his only son, who is now  lord and owner of that
part, and Ambrose Holbech, aforesaid, Esq. is now lord of the other
two third parts.
The Park is a very ancient one, for the founder of the monastery
here, among other donations, allowed the monks the privilege of
taking wood in his park in this town; and in 1242, (fn. 42) the King sent his
writ to the keepers of the lands of Hugh de Albany Earl of Arundell,
that they should deliver to Robert de Tateshale two bucks of his gift,
out of the park lately belonging to the said Hugh, in his town of
Bukenham. It was after separated from the manor; and in 1626,
one Long of Hingham, at the request or by the order of the Honourable Mary Lady Hunsdon, late wife of the Lord Hunsdon, conveyed
all his right in it to Sir Tho. Holland of Kenninghall; (fn. 43) but it was in
various trustees hands, and incumbered, till the title was perfected by
John Holland of Wortwell, Esq. from which time it hath passed in
this family, and still remains in the heiresses of Sir William. (fn. 44)
In 1620, Sir Tho. Holland, Knt. purchased much of Henry Viscount
There were several other manors here, as Bukenham's manor, the
Close manor, Lathes manor, the burgage of New-Bukenham, and the
Belonged to Bury abbey, (fn. 45) and continued in it till Baldwin, Abbot
of that monastery, infeoffed Will, de Bukenham, who was to hold it at
half a fee, and pay 14d. every 20 weeks to the guard of Norwich
castle, as I find in the White Register of that monastery, (fol. 97;) it
contained, when he was infeoffed, 1 carucate of land, 8 bordarers,
10 freemen that held 60 acres, for all which be did homage. It continued in this family (all of them being Williams) till 1345, and in
that year Will, de Bukenham paid 20s. relief for it. How it went
from them, and when, I do not find; but in 1401, it was divided into
small parcels, for in the feodary of that year, Adam Cock of Bukenham,
and his partners, held it. In 1434, John Parker, Margaret Grey,
Adam Joly, Robert Cogell and 8 more, did homage to the Abbot of
Bury, for their estate here. (fn. 46) About 1563, Richard Parker, Isabell
Cogell, John Roose, and Margaret Parker, held jointly that half fee,
for which they used to pay to John Reeve, late and last Abbot of
Bury, 14d. every twenty weeks to Norwich castle-guard. This family
of the Bukenhams always bore az. a cross chequy, or and gul. for
their arms, as appears from the seal of Will. de bukenham, in 1360,
and several others of that family which I have by me.
In 1438, Tho. Croftes of Norwich settled the court, with all thereto
belonging, on Richard Gegh and Edmund Bukenham, Esqrs. Roger
Caus, John Brigges, Peter Park, chaplain, and others, except all his
villeins, and copyholders in Old-Bukenham and Wilby. In 1533,
Robert Jermye of Norwich, Gent, made his will, and gave his manor
of Bukenham in Norfolk, to his mother-in-law, Elizabeth Jermye, and
divers lands in Worsted to Ela his wife; (fn. 47) Robert Jermye was his eldest
son, and Tho. Jermye, his second son, whose mother-in-law, Margaret
Browne, is mentioned in the will; but whether it be this manor, or
in any other Bukenham, I am not certain.
Catchevache's, Cachevache's, now
Belonged to Will. de Schoies in the Conqueror's time, of whom Roger
held it. (fn. 48) In the beginning of King Henry the Third's reign, Tho. de
Brokdish, Rob. de Wesenham, and Tho. de Bernham, held it of the
honour of Clare. (fn. 49) In 1290, William, son of Matthew Cachevache, (fn. 50)
had it, and Roger Cachevache, his son, in 1311; in 1325, he settled it
on himself and Christian his wife; and in 1345, it belonged to William Catsvache of Old-Bukenham; in 1401, Maud de Mounteney, then
a minor, held it; in 1420, it was John Rookwood's and others. In 1533,
Hugh Wilkenson and others had Catchvache's manor in Old and NewBukenham, Attlebridge, Ringstede, and Holme, and liberty of faldage
in Old-Bukenham, settled on them by William Gradbach (or Catswach.) In 1600, Hugh Wilkenson was lord, since which time it hath
passed through many hands, which have sold off most (if not all) its
rents. It some time belonged to the Sorrells, and now  to Mr,
Edward Phillips of Banham, who owns the site of it, which is now
called Catsvache's Meadow.
The close manor
Was part of the great manor till the division of it, and then it became
a separate manor, and had insoken and outsoken juries, with a leet,
and the profit of part of the market and stalls in Wymondham; a
moiety of it, in 1383, belonged to the Prior of Bukenham, who hired
the other moiety of the several lords, for that moiety divided into
parts with the great manor, and went from the Cromwells to the
Fitz-Williams, and from them to the Knevets; it laid in Bukenham,
Attleburgh, Besthorp, and Wymondham, and was held by part of the
borelry; in 1353, Robert Drury settled part of the moiety on Tho.
Knevet; the other moiety came wholly to the Knevets at the dissolution, along with Bukenham priory, and from them to the Lovells;
for in 1566, Thomas, son and heir of Tho. Lovell, Knt. held the Close
manor, and all that pasture for 160 sheep called the Lathes, &c. of
the Queen. In 1578, Tho. Lovell was lord; but by 1612 it belonged
again to the Knevets, for then Philip Knevet, Bart. delivered seizin of
the site of it to Gabriel Pope, doctor of physick, and Tho. Talbot,
Gent. at which time, I suppose, the rents and services of the manor
were either joined to the other manors, or all manumised; how the
site (fn. 51) passed afterwards I cannot say, but am informed that it now
 belongs to the Windhams.
The Lays, Lees, Lathes, or
Had its rise out of the great manor, at the same time with the Close
manor; (fn. 52) and in 1383, the Prior had a moiety of it along with that
manor; in 1400, the other moiety was divided; it had a leet belonging
to it, and a fair to be kept on St. Martins Day, at New-Bukenham,
the mere called Semere, or Old-Bukenham mere, belonged to it; the
site and demeans called the Lathes, or Lays, contained 140 acres of
pasture, 330 acres of wood, &c. and was held of the Queen in 1564,
by Thomas, son and heir of Sir Tho. Lovell, Knt.; but the whole
manor was united to the rest by the Knevets, Sir Tho. Knevet, being
lord of the united manors of Lathes, the Close, the Priory, and
burgage of New-Bukenham, in 1594.
The Priory Manor
Was part of the great manor given to the priory at its foundation,
and continued in it to its dissolution, (fn. 53) when it passed with that house
to Sir Tho. Knevet of Bukenham, in whose family it continued till Sir
Philip Knevet sold it to John Eldred of London, Esq. and John
Verdon, Gent.; and after many conveyances, it was settled on the
minister of New-Bukenham for the time being, who is always lord
The Castle was first situated by the abbey, on the east part; the
site of it contains about 3 acres; it is a large entrenchment, surrounded with a deep mote, the hills being still entire; (see the plate)
on the north side is an old arch, which served for a sewer when it was
standing; this was in some decay, when Will. de. Albany pulled it
down, and built the priory with its ruins, (which is the reason that
there are none remaining,) and gave the site of it to that house, (fn. 54) as
his foundation deed declares, and then removed to a far better situation, in St. Andrew's parish, the eastern part of which belonged to
the Bishop of Norwich, and was part of his manor of Eccles, kept in
his own hands to serve his palace there; notwithstanding which, the
Earl procured the land which was part of the Hagh, of will. Turbus
Bishop of Norwich, (who greatly favoured his foundation,) to be held
as freely as the old castle was before the priory's foundation; the tithes
only excepted; and on this part he built the castle, and founded his
burgh called New-Bukenham, close by it, having obtained license so
to do. It is pleasantly situate upon a hill, fortified with a deep mote,
which remains entire, and full of water; the building itself is quitedemolished, and ploughed over, except part of the gatehouse, and a
dungeon or keep, which all those places had; (see the Prospect in the
plate;) it is 63 yards round, and the walls about 10 feet thick; and
though it is not higher now than the entrenchment, I suppose it was
formerly, the upper part of those keeps generally being watch-towers;
it is divided in the midst by a cross wall. The Knevtts dwelt in this
castle till it was demolished by Sir Philip, who sold it.
The.Priory, now called the Abbey, was founded by Williamde
Albany, Earl of Chichester, sirnamed the Strong, who died in 1156,
and by him dedicated to the honour of God, St. Mary, St. James the
Apostle, and all the Saints, in which he placed black canons of the
order of St. Augustine, who were governed by a prior elected by the
major part of them, and confirmed by the Bishop of Norwich. after
which he was installed; they were daily to pray for the soul of their
founder, and of Queen Adeliza, or Alice, his wife, for the souls of
Stephen King of England, and Maud his Queen, and their progeny,
and for the souls of all his ancestors, successours, parents, friends,
and benefactors; they were governed by statutes, allowed by William
Turbus Bishop of Norwich, by whose advice it was founded, but they
were in all things to follow the institution or rules of the church of St.
Mary at Mertune; he endowed it with the rectories of the churches
of All-Saints, and St. Andrews, belonging to his manor of Bukenham,
which were immediately appropriated to it, and they took their whole
revenues, the canons serving them; and also the site of the castle,
which was to be pulled down, and 20 acres of land, and the wood
called Little Hage, and Midcrofts, with the adjoining meadow, and
New Croft before the castle-gate, (on which the abbey was built,)
and Alured the Smith, with the land that he held, and 5 acres which
was Spar-hauc's. (fn. 55) The witnesses to his foundation were, Hugh Bigot,
Ralf de Bucham, or Bukenham, Hubert and Warin Montchensi, Rob.
de Uuedale, Ralf the chaplain, Thurstin, then priest, or parson, of
Bucham, (Bukenham,) and others; and afterwards he got the foundation confirmed by the King and Bishop. The benefactors to this
house, that I meet with here, were, Will, de Albany, son of the founder,
who gave them the advowson of Kenninghall, (fn. 56) Richard de Scenges,
gave them the advowson of St. Mary's church at Berwike,) (fn. 57) in the
Brakes,) Peter de Cley, gave them the advowson of St. Peter's at
Cleythorp, (now Cocle-Cley,) Richard, son of Robert de Sengles, gave
them his whole tenement, &c. in Riveshale, (now Rusall,) and Lincroft, (a hamlet to Rusall,) John Malekin, and Katerine Le-Parker
released to the prior, &c. all his services which he owed them for his
tenement, &c. held of them in Riveshale, Sir Henry de Riveshale,
and Sir John his son, Knts. being witnesses. (fn. 58)
The said Richard, son of Robert de Sengles, gave them 90 acres
of land, held of Miles, son of Alan, and Miles his son, and the service of Walter de Lincroft and his tenement in Lincroft aforesaid, and
the tenement which the said Richard held of the Prior and Convent
of Norwich in Riveshale, and 10 acres of land which he held of Henry
Parker, and 1 acre held of Will. Fitz-Roeis, and half an acre held of
Jeffry, the Dean's nephew, and 3 acres and an half in Suthfeud, held
of Tho. de Stuttestune and Amy his wife, and one acre held of Walter,
son of Roger Lincroft, with the services of Fulcher Le-Feutrer, and
Walwane Le-Bule, and their families and tenements, and all that the
said Richard had purchased in these towns, with one acre of marsh in
Brisingham, a parcel of meadow in Est-Medwe in Semere, and the land
in Wrongeland, which he held of Alan, son of David.
Robert, son of Robert de Tateshale, gave them the advowson of
Gunneby, and a piece of land called Munkwelle, for a pittance, as is
before observed; Robert de Tateshale, the third of that name, gave a
fold-course for 200 sheep in Attleburgh, and 53 acres and an half of
arable land in Bukenham; Sir John de Verdon, Knt. granted them
divers lands, tenements, rents, and services in Brisingham, which was
afterwards the Priory manor there. (fn. 59) Benedict de Brehull gave them
the homage and service of Roger Le-Leche and his heirs, besides
other gifts. Tho. de Sancto Egidio (or Giles) gave them his messuage
in the parish of St. Benedict in (Norwich) Westwic, with the advowson of that church, with all rents belonging to his messuage. Peter,
son of Sir Ralf de Cley, Knt. gave 51 acres and an half in Cley Field,
with divers villeins, yearly rents, and services, with liberty of faldage,
common of pasture, and fuel in all his liberty. Roger de Montealt,
Steward of Chester, released to them all his claim in the advowson of
Kenninghall, (fn. 60) and granted them common of pasture in Southache in
Kenninghall, and the amerciaments of all their tenants in Kenninghall,
who were punished in his leet there, to be received from his steward,
who was to receive them of the offenders, all which grants were confirmed by the King. In 1377, Will. Keteringham and others, aliened
to the Prior 100 acres of underwood in Bukenham, by the King's
license; they had also 30 acres in Kerthorp in Bukenham, settled on
them in 1353, by license; and divers lands and tenements in West
Bradenham the year before. In 1390, John Mounteny and others
settled 60 acres of land, 2 acres of meadow, and a free fold in OldBukenham, by the King's license. In 1366, they had license to
receive divers lands in Tybenham in Norfolk, and Cratfield in Suffolk.
Constantine Clifton gave 10l. a year to be settled on the Prior,
which Sir John Clifton, who died in 1447, ordered to be settled, and
accordingly the manor of Melding Hall in Burston, which belonged
to the priory was settled on it by Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. (fn. 61) Rob.
Clifton, Knt. Constable of Burdeaux, who was buried in the conventual church of St. James the Apostle, was a good benefactor. John
Verdon, of this town, in 1590, gave 5 marks by will, to repair the
church; to the torches (or lights in it) 6s. 8d. "To the Light of the
Sepulcor iijs. iiijd. Also to the Light of the Mess of Jesu iijs. iiijd.
To the Pryor of Bokenham vjs. viijd. To iche channon ijs. To
the reparacyon of the Churche of Olde-Bokenham xxs. Also to the
Gilde of St. Martyn in Newe-Bokenham vjs. viijd. Also to the
reparacyon of the Gilde of our Lady xxs. Also I will have an
honeste preste to syng for my sowle, and all my benefactors sowles,
in the parische churche of Newe Bokenham beforseid, by the space
an hole yer. Also I will that the place wiche I purchesid of John
Hewett, John Colby, and ij. acr. of londe lyeing att the gate in the
heigh felde at Watt's Gate, remayne to the town of Newe Bokenham,
to the common profight, in releif and cumfortyng of the poor
pepull for evyrmor."
The probate is now in the Church Chest. Dated March 29, 1491.
In 1428, (fn. 62) (fn. 63) the Prior's temporals in Old-Bukenham were taxed at
22l. 16s. 10d. ob. The total of the spirituals of this house, lying in
Norfolk, were taxed at 77l. 13s. 4d. and paid 5l. 15s. 8d. every tenth;
the total of their temporals in Norfolk were taxed at 52l. 9d. ob.
and paid 5l. 4s. 1d. every tenth; the whole of their temporals and
spirituals at this time being taxed at 109l. 14s. 1d. ob. and so paid
every tenth 10l. 19s. 9d; at the Dissolution it was valued at 131l. 11s.
per annum. In 1479, they had lands in all the Bukenhams, Elyngham,
Besthorp, Stowebekyrton, Rokeland, Rowdham, Sneytyrton, Norton,
Schropham, Quedenham, Banham, Multon, Aslacton, Carleton, Bonwell, Wykylwood, Reymerston, Cratfield, Keninghall, Hapton, Tibenham, Norwich, St. Benet, St. Swithin, and St. Peter Mancroft, Bradenham West, Barwyke, Brisingham, Burston, Attleburgh, Lyn, Sethyng, Riveshale, East-Herling, Caston, Cley, &c. In 1476, the
Bishop certified the Barons of the Exchequer, that the Prior of Bukenham held impropriated to that house, the churches of St. Benedict
in Norwich, of Gryston in Beccles deanery, of Bukenham All-Saints,
St. Andrews, and St. Martin's, St. Peter of Cley, and West Bradenham, in Cranewise deanery, and Barwick in Hicham deanery, and
that they have been so held ever since 1177, and before, even from
its foundation, and that the Prior always pays all taxes granted by
the clergy to the King for those churches, there being no vicars endowed upon any of them. (fn. 64)
The site, after the Dissolution, was granted to Sir Tho. Knevet, (fn. 65) and
went with the Priory manor in that family, and is now owned by Mr.
Holbech. There are very few ruins remaining; the walls of the
church are quite down, but the foundations may be easily traced;
it was in the conventual form, with the tower in the midst, and had
a nave, two isles, two transepts, a choir, and north vestry; the monastery stood on the north side of it, and was a good square court.
On the wood work of an old gate I saw the arms of Albany carved,
which looked very old. I have seen a piece of silver, which was
found in digging in the ruins of the church anno 1723, which has
a shield of arms, on which, a fess between two chevrons. A canton
erm. impales quarterly a bend; this looks as if it had been buried
with its owner. See the plate for the seal, arms, &c. of the priory.
In 1579, John Margery was buried in this church, and gave every
canon and monk 4d. and 8 marks, to be prayed for. Katherine
Browne was also buried the same year, and gave two silver phiolas,
and the rest of her goods, to Sir Will. Whalley, then prior, to pray for
her. In 1507, Adam Sawer was buried here, and gave 4 nobles, for
his soul to be sung for in the church. In 1508 the church was new
roofed, and had an altar dedicated to St. Austin in it.
Priors Of This House.
1216, William was prior of Bukenham.
1221, Walter, who got Kenninghall appropriated.
1286, Richard de Otteley. Br. Rich. Betts succeeded Bukenham.
1307, 5 id. Febr. Brother John de Multon, a canon of St. James's
monastery at Bukenham, was elected prior by the sub-prior and convent, and confirmed by the Bishop of Norwich, as were all the priors
to the Dissolution.
1329, 17 kal. July, Hugh de Brom, priest, canon there, elected
1354, 11 Octob. Brother Will. de Spykesworth, canon, elected prior
at Broom's death.
1381, 27 Sept. Brother Will, de Banham, canon there, elected at
1402, 10 July, Brother Roger Carleton, canon, elected at Banham's
death, and installed by the Archdeacon of Norfolk.
1442, 12 July, Brother John Norwich, elected on Carleton's death.
1451, 9 Nov. Brother Barth. Melles, canon, elected prior at Norwich's resignation.
1458, 17 Sept. Brother John Whalley, canon, elected on Melles's
1480,13 May, Brother John Bukenham, (fn. 66) (fn. 67) senior, priest, eanon there,
elected prior at Whalleys death.
1493, John Plattyng, priest, was prior here.
1534, 21 Aug. John Mylegate, or Millgate, (fn. 68) prior, Richard Ryntwz
and five others subscribed to the supremacy. This John was the last
prior, and resigned the house to the King; Sir Tho. Browne, &c. were
canons at the resignation. These were the
Canons Of This House,
That received their stipends over and above their daily maintenance
and clothing, viz.
1479, Brother Tho. Fincham, Brother Rich. Cley, Brother Hen.
Lychefeld, Brother Thomas Beverle, Brother John Bukenham, junior,
Brother John Chambyr, Brother Richard Bukenham, cellerer, Brother
1480, the same canons, except Brother John Baron, who was added
1481, Brother John Chambyr was added, and they continued till
1493, and then brother John Foremale, a novice, was admitted
among them, so that the monastery, when full, consisted of a Prior,
an Auditor, who was not a religious, but one appointed by the lord to
audit their annual accounts, and ten Canons, who yearly received for
their stipends 40s. apiece, besides their maintenance and clothing;
out of these, a Sub-Prior, Sacrist, and Celerer, were yearly chosen.
The temporal officers of the house were, the Steward of their Courts,
a Heyward, Woodward, and Janitor, constantly attending at the
monastery gates. In this year John Boun was their auditor; they
yearly received, for the total income of the monastery, about 110l,
and disbursed about 100l.
Their Churches Were
Bradenham West, an endowed vicarage.
St. Benedict in Norwich; they repaired the chancel, and had a
Bukenham All-Saints, worth clear 7l. 15s. and the stipendiary
serving chaplain paid.
Cley, an impropriation; no vicar endowed.
Griston, had a vicar endowed; great tithes were let at 15l.
Barwyk had a vicar endowed.
The offerings at the high altar of the monastery on St. James's Day,
6s. 8d. besides those on St. Margaret's Day, when the gild was kept
West-Herling church-wardens paid 1d. a year to this priory, for
part of their town-land.
Norton church-wardens paid 9d. a year for quitrent to their manor.
Kenninghall Rectory manor, rents of assize were above 6l. per
Brisingham Priory manor, rents of assize about 3l. per annum.
Norwich Gild in St. Peter's Mancroft, paid them 6d. a year.
Norwich, the Dean of St. Mary's college in the Fields, (now
Chapel Field,) 10s.
Burston, profits of the manor, 8l. 16s. 6d.
Cratefield rents of 3l. 17d. per annum, from the manor of the Earl
Their annual temporal outgoings were, to the manors of Mortimer's
and Crowshall in Attleburgh, 10d.; to the rector of East-Herling, 8d.
for land in Kenninghall; to Besthorp manor 3d.; to my Lord Cromwell 4d.; to Elyngham manor 8d.; to Ashwellthorp manor 3s. 4d.;
For lands in Rewshall 12d.; to the Bishop, for lands held of him in
the Hawe 7s. 6d.; to the Abbot of Bury, for lands held of him in OldBukenham, 2s.
The annual spiritual outgoings to the Bishop, for the pensions of
Bradenham and Griston, 26s. 8d.; for Bukenham St. Andrew, and St.
Martin, 3s. 4d.; to the Pope's collector, 7s.; to the Archdeacon of
Norwich, for procurations for Griston, 6s. 8d.; for the Bukenham
parishes, and Cley, 26s. 8d.; to the sacrist of Norwich cathedral, for
his pension out of Griston and Bradenham churches, 3s. 4d.; to Will.
Lawe, their stipendiary chaplain at Cley, for one year, 6l. 6s. 8d.; to
the vicar of Barwick, for his stipend, 6l. 16s. 8d.; the Stipend of the
chaplain of All-Saints, Bukenham, 4l. 6s. 8d.
1480, paid to the honour of Wormegey, for the amerciaments of
the prior's tenants, for their glebe land (belonging to Girston) in
Caston, 12s.; for Romescot 3d.; and to Tho, Mounteneye, Clerk, 4s. ob.;
to Will. Ingham, their Stipendiary at Cley, 5l. 13s. 4d. a year; to the
Vicar of Barwyk, by agreement, for his vicarage, 6l. 16s. 8d.; to
Andrew Norwich, at Girston, his stipend, &c. Cley parsonage, and
24 acres adjoining, let to farm, &c. 1487, at 20l. and more was laid
out in repairing the chapel of the Virgin Mary, within the precincts
of the monastery. At the end of this year's accompt are these lines,
Omnibus Omnia non mea Sompnia dicere possum.
Si vis Esse sanus, sæpe Lavare Manus.
Dum Sumus in mundo, Vivamus corde jocundo,
Omnibus est notum, quod aliquis diligitpotum.
Paid to Eccles court for the yearly suit due, 4d.
The Chapel of St. Mary the Virgin, in Old-Bukenham, (fn. 69) was
founded soon after the castle, by the lords of it, and was supplied by
a custos and two or three chaplains, his brethren, who had their dwelling at the west end of it, and constantly served there; it was the
only place of worship that the burgh of New-Bukenham had, till the
present church was founded, which was some time after the chapel:
at the Dissolution it came to the lord's hands; and not long afterwards was converted into a barn, as it now remains. It stands on
the south side of the castle, close by the road, as you enter into NewBukenham. (fn. 70)
The Parish Church of St. Andrew, in Old-Bukenham, was a
rectory belonging to the manor, till the foundation of the priory, to
which it was given by the founder, and then appropriated to it, without any vicar endowed, the monks serving it themselves to the Dissolution, when it was granted to Sir Tho. Knevet along with the priory, (fn. 71)
and soon after was desecrated, and converted into a barn; it is just
by Mr. Harvey's seat, which is called St. Andrew's. It was taxed at
20s. and paid 2s. every tenth.
The Church of All-Saints in Old Bukenham, is the present
parish church; this was also a rectory appendant to the manor, and
given by the founder to the priory, to which it was then appropriated,
but no vicar endowed; it was served by the monks, who found a
stipendiary curate there till the Dissolution, when it was granted with
the priory to Sir Tho. Knevet, who received all the profits, and found
a curate to serve the parish; (fn. 72) and thus it continued in that family till
1611, when it was mortgaged, with the King's license, along with
Knevet's manor in Tibenham, to Sir Tho. Herne, Knt.; after this it
was mortgaged backward and forward several times, till at last Sir
Philip Knevet sold every one (that would purchase them) the tithes
of their own lands, and the rest the parish purchased, together with
the chancel and churchyard, and vested them in Robert Wright and
John Allen, and their heirs, who reconveyed to Sir Philip all manner of tithes, oblations, &c. which might be due to the said rectory
from any of his own land, and all those tithes which they sold, as
trustees to Sir Philip, to Robert Jollie, Jacob Preston, and the rest
of the parishioners, that had purchased their parts, after which they
settled the chancel and churchyard of Old-Bukenham All-Saints,
with all the great and small tithes, oblations, obventions, offerings,
&c. (fn. 73) together with all other temporals whatever belonging thereto,
on a great number of feoffees, who were to hold all the rectories of
All-Saints and St. Andrew's, (except the churchyard, parsonagehouse, and glebe lands of St. Andrew's, and all those titties which
were sold before this feoffment,) with all the tithes of corn, grain,
hay, and all other great and small tithes, obventions, and oblations
whatsoever, to them and their heirs, in trust, to the following uses;
that they, or the major part of them, shall for ever nominate, elect,
and choose, an honest learned minister, for, and in the name of, the
town of Old-Bukenham aforesaid, to serve in All-Saints church,
once in a week, and perform all services there, (fn. 74) who upon such
choice shall be licensed according to the laws of the realm, (fn. 75) after
which he shall be allowed out of the profits of the rectory aforesaid,
an annual stipend of 16l. 13s. 4d. to be paid by the feoffees, one half
upon every 2d day of February, and the other half upon the 1st day
of August, on which days they are to rnake and produce a just account unto Sir Philip Knevet, and his heirs, and the church-wardens
of the town for the time being, and to all the rest of the inhabitants
of the town, who shall think fit to be there, to see the accounts of
the whole profits; and what overplus of the profits remains (the stipend and charges being deducted) shall be by them paid into the
church-wardens hands, to be by them employed to repair the chancel
and churchyard walls; and when all the feoffees are dead to five,
they shall be obliged to make a new feoffment to ten persons at least,
all which shall be parishioners of this parish; and lest there should
arise any disputes concerning the parts sold off, the lands and tenements so discharged, with the several purchasers names, are mentioned, and all the lands which pay all manner of tithes to the
feoffees, are separately described in nine rolls of parchment, annexed
to the feoffment, among which, the Layes, containing 100 acres; a
messuage and 100 acres, being the site of Bukenham Close manor;
6 closes thereto belonging, containing 80 acres; 50 acres more belonging to the same messuage; 24 acres, called Bromhill Close; 12
acres called Little Pond's Meadow; 8 acres called Fir Close; 30
acres called Hawte Close, in the New Park; 80 acres called Herlyng
Wood; 16 acres called Thorne Croft; and 60 acres called Fir Closes,
are the largest parcels, though there are, besides these, 48 messuages
and cottages, and 200 acres thereto belonging. The prior was taxed
at 13 marks for the rectory, and paid 17s. 4d. for it to every tenth.
Mr. Last, rector of Wilby, was curate here, and the Rev. Mr. Robert
Stone is the present  minister.
Here were three Gilds, dedicated to St. Margaret, St. Thomas the
Martyr, and St. Peter, In 1373, Agnes Faucus of Old-Bukenham,
buried in All-Saints churchyard, gave a heifer for her mortuary, and
to Sir Roger, chaplain of the church, 6d.
The church and chancel are thatched; the steeple is octangular;
there are five bells; the north isle is leaded.
In the chancel lies a stone for
JOHN WELHAM, Gent. who died July the 10th 1713, aged 66 Years.
Earth have possessed him, Ashes, Clay, and Dust,
But Heaven contains his Soul, among the Just.
On a brass plate, Preston's arms and crest,
hic requiescit corpus jacobi preston, (fn. 76) genr: qui vitam
expiravit in fide christi lxvi. etatis suæ anno dom: 1630.
On another brass plate,
Here lyeth the Body of Mathew Sturdyvant, Gent. who ended
this Life the 21st Day of March 1604, when he was of the Age
of 85 Years, and did give by his Last Will towards the Maintenance of a Schoole in this Parish for ever, 100l. (fn. 77) and towards
thre newe Bells to be bought 20l.
hodie, mihi. cras, tibi.
On a loose brass in the church,
Here undre resteth the Bodye of Ehomas Joly the Elder, who
departed this Life the rii Day of Januaryc, in the Yeare of oure
There are stones in the chancel for
William, Son of Phillip Leigh, and Eliz. his Wife, who died Febr. 1,
Anne, Wife of Tho. Brewster, Gent. died Jan. 5,1682.
In the nave on the south side, as Mr. Weaver informs us, (fn. 78) there
was a stone plated with brass, on which was a crane, and
in a scroll from its mouth, and this,
Orate pro Anima Ehome Bromn cuius Anime propitietur Deus, Amen.
Elizabeth, Daughter of Sam: Baker, died Nov. 4, 1725, Æt. 16.
Over the King's arms,
Vivat, vincat, et regnet Verbum Domini, et ut nobis, et Semini nostro
in Æternum, annue summe Deus, per Jesum Christum, unicum Dominum nostrum.
There were these arms in the windows, most of which now remain.
Tatshall and Clifton quarterly.
Tatshall and Clifton impaled with Thorp, az. three crescents
Tatshall, chequy or. and gul. a chief erm.
The priory arms, arg. three escalops sab.
Barry of ten gul. and arg. quartering Caily, chequy gul. and or,
a bend erm.
Cromwell, arg. a chief gul. abend az. quartering Tatshall.
Knevet quartering Clifton.
There are several angels holding some of the arms, with labels
from their mouths, viz.
Salbe Regina Mater Miserecordie,
Beata Dei Genetric Maria.
Abe Regina Eœlorum, abe Domina.
On hatchments in the chancel,
impaled Harvey, or, on a chevron between three leopards heads
gul. as many flower-de-lises arg.
Houblon, alias Van deprot, arg. on a mound vert,three
houblons, or hop-poles, fructed proper.
impaled Harvey, or, on a chevron between three leopards heads
gul. three cinquefoils arg.
Houblon as before, Harvey's crest on a torce gul. and
arg. a leopard chained or. Motto: in morte quies.
In the dormitory on the north side of the chancel are the coffins
of John Harvey, Esq. Elizabeth his wife, and several of their children.
There are two altar tombs in the churchyard,, against the chancel
Robert Watts, who died 7 Nov. 1652. and Andrew Reder,
who died 14 Dec. 1655.
On a head-stone by the steeple,
Here lieth the body of JOHN GREY, Gent. Steward of many
Manours for (almost) Sixty Yeares, faithful to his Lords, & kind
to the Tenants; he kept Courts and wrote very faire in the 90th
Year of his Age, (things rare) in which he died upon the 16th
Day of July, Anno Dom. 1713.
The Customs of the manors are, that the fine is at the lord's will,
and the eldest son is heir.
This town is situated round a pleasant green, the church standing
on the east side of it; the site of the abbey being north east, and that
of St. Andrew's south east. There is a fair kept on it every 29th of
May. (fn. 79) It is a town of large bounds, for it paid to the tenths 5l. 13s.
and is now  assessed at 1996l. to the land-tax, and hath 105
dwelling-houses, and about 550 inhabitants.