Stands at the south-west point of this hundred, north of the OuseParva, near the great level of the fens, it belonged, together with
Wilton, (to which it now joins, and of which it was then a part,) to
Alveva, a Saxon lady, in the reign of the Confessor; at the survey, William Earl Warren was lord: in the Confessor's time, they
were valued at 6l. per annum, at the survey at 10l. and were both one
leuca long, and half a one broad, and paid together 17d. of the 20s.
gelt. (fn. 1) It occurs in the survey by the name of Hocunelia, Hoc, or
Hoke, signifies a dirty low situation, a vale, sometimes an angle,
nook, or corner, and Wella, a place or spring of water, the other name
Hockwold, relates to its site, in respect of Northwold and Methwold.
Fulk de Beaufo was lord of this town, and Wilton, in the reign
of King John, which he held of the Earl Warren; this Fulk having
no heirs male, these townships were divided amongst his four daughters;
Emma, who gave her share to her sister Agatha.
Agatha, married to Sir Robert Aguillon.
Joan, to Thomas de Ingaldesthorp. And
Margery, to Robert Scales.
Agatha, by Sir Rob. Aguillon, had also four daughters and coheirs, (fn. 2)
Agatha, who married Sir Adam de Cockfield.
Isabell, married to Luke de Ponyngs, son of Thomas de Ponyngs.
Margery, to Sir Giles Argenton, and after to Jordan de Sackcille.
Joan, to Ralph Fitz-Bernard, Knt.
Which still occasioned a further division of the township, as will appear from the ensuing history.
Sir Robert Aguillon held a lordship in these towns in the 20th
Henry III. when an aid was granted to that King; in 3d Edward I.
Sir Luke de Ponyngs (fn. 3) who married Isabell, daughter and coheir of
Sir Robert Aguillon, was found to have a lordship here, and claimed
the assize of bread and beer. (fn. 4) In 17th Edward II. Michael de Ponyngs,
and his tenants were found to hold several fees in Hockwold, Wilton,
Shipdam, Belhawe, Letton, Foulsham, &c. (fn. 5) And 1st Edward III.
Michael de Ponyngs settled on Thomas, his son, the advowson of
Hockwold and Wilton, which Margaret, widow of Michael, held for
life. (fn. 6) This was that Michael Lord Poynings, who by deed dated
before Calais, 20th July, 1347, granted his crest of a dragon's head
between two wings ermine, to Sir Stephen de Valoynes, Knt; about
the same time, the same lord had a grant from King Edward III. of
200 marks a year, for the better support of the honour of a banneret,
which he received of the King. (fn. 7)
In 4th Richard II. Richard, second son of Michael Lord Poynings,
was lord; he was one of those noblemen who accompanied John
Duke of Lancaster into Spain, in the 9th of the said King, and had a
protection on that account. (fn. 8)
The jury in 25th Henry VI. on the death of Robert Lord Poynings,
find him to have held this manor of Hockwold cum Wilton, and the
advowson of the church of Hockwold, two messuages, 200 acres of
land, 10 of meadow, and 100s. rent, of the manor of Castle-Acre.; (fn. 9)
and in 1464, Elizabeth Lady Poynings presented to the rectory, as
lady of this manor.
After this, it was held by Sir Edward Poinings Lord-Warden of
the Cinque-Ports, son of Robert Poinings, second son of Robert Lord
Poinings, who presented to the church of Hockwold in 1497, and
died on the 20th of Oct. in 13th Henry VIII. and Henry Earl of
Northumberland was then found his cousin and next heir, his grandfather having married Eleanor, daughter and heir of Richard Poinings,
eldest son of Robert Lord Poinings, which Richard died in 1430, before his father and the aforesaid earl had livery of it, in 14th Henry
VIII. (fn. 10) But in 21st Henry VIII. a fine (fn. 11) was levied between Robert
Ratcliff Viscount Fitz-Walter, Thomas Duke of Norfolk, George Lord
Hastings, Sir Richard Walden, Knt. &c. querents, and Henry Earl
of Northumberland, defendant, of this manor, an act of parliament
being before this passed, that all the lands of the Earl of Northumberland, for want of heirs of the body of the said Earl, should come to
Afterwards it was conveyed, by Robert Earl of Sussex, to Thomas
Tindale, Esq. son of Sir John Tindale, and William Tindale, Esq.
son and heir of Sir Thomas, and John Tindale, his brother, sold it to
Sir William Paston.
Clement Paston, Esq. on the 20th of Jan. in 26th of Elizabeth, (fn. 12) had this manor of Poinings, with those of Scale's, Mundeford's,
and Stewkey's, in Hockwold and Wilton; and by an inquisition taken
3d Sep. 1613, after the death of Sir William Paston, it was found
that he had settled the aforesaid manors, several marshes in Feltwell,
&c. by deed dated 30th Sept. in 44th Elizabeth, on Bridget Heveningham, wife of Sir John Heveningham, his grandaughter, after his own
decease, and her issue in tail male. (fn. 13) William Heveningham, Esq.
son of Sir John, was lord in 1631, and presented that year to the
church of Hockwold; this William was one of King Charles the
First's regicides, and being attainted in 1660, this, with the manors
abovementioned, came to the Crown; and on 28th Sept. 1661, were
granted to Bryan Viscount Cullen, Sir Ralph Banks, Sir Thomas Fanshaw, Knight of the Bath, Edward Pitts, and Charles Cornwallis,
Esq. and by them were sold to Sir John Crofts, Bart. of Westow in
Suffolk, and after his death, and that of his lady, were conveyed by
her executor, Edward Proger, Esq. Groom of the King's Bedchamber, to Sir Cyril Wyche, on the payment of 12000l.; Sir Cyril
was Secretary of State in Ireland, in the reign of King William, and
was the son of Sir Peter Wyche of London, and Isabell his wife,
daughter of Sir Rob. Bolls of Lincolnshire, which Sir Peter was Ambassador in Turkey, Comptroller of the King's household, and one of
his (fn. 14) privy-council, and fourth son of Richard Wyche of London, merchant, who died 20th Nov. 1621, and was buried at St. Dunstan's in
the East, London, by Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Salstonstall,
Lord-Mayor of London. Sir Cyril dying on the 28th Dec. 1707,
left this lordship, &c. to his son, Jermyn Wyche, Esq. and it is now
 enjoyed by his son,
Cyril Wyche, Esq. who has a good agreeable seat, with gardens,
&c. near the church of Hockwold, built (as I take it) by William
Heveningham, Esq. but much improved by the present owner.
Robert de Scales, by the marriage of Margery, one of the
daughters and coheirs of Fulk de Beaufo, had a part and lordship in
this town; and in the reign of King Henry III. held three-quarters
of a fee in Hockwold and Wilton.
In 3d King Edward I. Alice Lady Scales recovered damages of
Richard Maule, for the taking two swans and seven cygnets out of
her fishery here; (fn. 15) and in the reign of King Henry VI. Robert Lord
Scales was found to hold three-quarters of a fee here, of the Earl of
Arundel; and in 13th of the said King, John Hened, parson of Wridlyngton, and William Bateman, granted to John Cley, clerk, Nicholas
de Massingham, &c. this manor, which they had of the feoffment of
Robert Lord Scales.
After this, it was held by Anthony Woodvile Lord Scales, (fn. 16) and
Elizabeth his wife, daughter and coheir of the Lord Scales; and on
the death of the said Elizabeth, sans issue, it descended to Will. Tindale, who was knighted at the creation of Arthur Prince of Wales,
and declared heir of the kingdom of Bohemia, in right of Margaret,
his great-grandmother, daughter to the Duke of Theise, and niece to
the King of Bohemia, the wife of Sir Simon Felbrigge, whose daughter and heiress, Alana, was married to Sir William Tindale of Dean
in Northamptonshire, and Redenhale in Norfolk, &c. grandfather of
the aforesaid Sir William Tindale of Hockwold, who kept his first
court here, with Mary his wife, in 6th Edward IV. This Sir William died on 22d Feb. 12th Henry VII. (fn. 17) and John was found his son
and heir, who was created Knight of the Bath, at the coronation of
Queen Ann Boleyn, and married Amphelicia, daughter of Sir Humphry Conynsby, one of the Justices of the Common-Pleas, and was
succeeded by his son, Sir Thomas Tindale, who, on 14th Dec. 26th
Henry VIII. settled this lordship for the payment of 42l. per annum,
by way of jointure, on Dame Winifred, his second wife; and William
Tindale, Esq. son and heir of Sir Thomas, with his brother John, sold
it. (as has been observed above, in the manor of Poinings, to Sir
William Paston,) and so it came as above to Cyril Wiche, Esq. the
present  lord. (fn. 18)
In 56th Henry III. Adam de Mundeford, son and heir of
Osbert, settled by deed on Mary his mother, lands here and in Wilton
And from an inquisition taken in the reign of King Edward I. it
appears that John de Mundeford held in Hockwold and Wilton threequarters of a fee of the Earl Warren, which, as I take it, was given
him by Thomas de Ingaldesthorp, who married Joan, one of the
daughters and coheirs of Fulk de Beaufo, the aforesaid John having
married Sibill, daughter of the said Thomas. In 9th Edward II.
Osbert de Mundeford was returned to be lord; (fn. 19) and in 17th and 29th
Edward III. Osbert de Mundeford was found to hold the same of the
Earl Warren. His will, by the name of Osbert Mundeford, senior,
is dated 26th August 1371, and was proved 24th April following: (fn. 20)
he bequeaths his body to be buried in the church of Hockwold, gives
to the high altar there 10s. to Margaret, daughter of Adam de Mundeford of Saxham, 100s. &c. and names Alice his wife, executrix.
Osbert, his son, kept his first court on Wednesday after the Feast
of the Holy Trinity, 46th Edward III.; and by his will, dated August
1396, he orders his body to be buried before the altar of St. Nicholas,
in Hockwold church, (fn. 21) gives several small sums of money to the
churches of Wilton, Fellwell St. Mary, and Mundeford, and to several
religious persons, and appoints Elizabeth, his wife, executrix, who,
in 3d Henry IV. was found to hold three-quarters of a fee here of the
Earl of Arundel, and the Earl of the King.
Osbert, his son and heir, succeeded, and by his will, dated at
Hockwold, 4th October, 1456, and proved 20th December following,
he bequeaths his body to be buried in the church of Hockwold St.
Peter's before the chancel door, gives to the churches of Hockwold,
Wilton, Mundeford, East-Lexham, Norton by Fakenham in Norfolk,
and Barrow in Suffolk, 6s. 8d. apiece, and vii. marks to be distributed
amongst the poor of Hockwold, Wilton, Mundeford, Feltwell, Methwold, Northwold, Cranewyz, and Weting, for a feast at his burial; to
the gild or fraternity of Hockwold St. Peter, 6s. 8d.; to that of St.
Mary of Weting, 6s. 8d.; and the said sum to St. Margaret's of Norton; to Margaret his wife, a chamber in his house at Hockwold, for
her and her maid, and 12 marks yearly; also meat, drink, wood, and
candle, out of the issues of his manors in the said towns, and the
moiety of his household goods for life, remainder to Osbert, his son,
and Elizabeth, his daughter; to Elizabeth, daughter of Osbert, his
son, 20 sheep, to Esselina, wife of Adam his brother, 20 sheep, to
Adam his brother 48l. per annum out of his manor of Barrow in
Suffolk. (fn. 22)
This last Osbert was also succeeded by a son of his own name, and
dying without issue male, left only a daughter and heiress, who being
married to Sir Will. Tindale, Knight of the Bath (who died 12th
Henry VII.) brought this lordship into the family; from which it
passed as is above shewn, to the present  lord, Cyrill Wyche, Esq.
The Mundefords were of an ancient and noble extraction, descended (as it is said) from Hugh de Montfort, one of the commanders of the Army of Duke William (afterwards King of England)
against Henry King of France in 1054. Their pedigree, since their
settling in this town, is as follow, (fn. 23) (fn. 24)
By the inquisitions taken in the reign of King Henry III. John Carle
and John de Hockwold were found to hold one quarter of a fee of
Adam de Cockfield and Andrew de Sackville, which came to them by
Agatha and Margery, two of the daughters and coheirs of Aguillon.
In 9th Edward II. John de Hockwold was returned as lord; and in
the 15th of the said King, a fine was levied between the said John de
Hockwold and Joan his wife, querents, William de Suthery, parson
of Hargrave, and John Luton, deforciants, of messuages and lands in
this town, &c. But in the 20th Edward III. Roger Pottys, and
Richard Horn, held here and in Wilton one quarter of a fee, which
was John Carle's and John de Hockwold's; and 3d Henry IV. the
aforesaid Roger and Richard, together with William Soper and Edmund Langtoft, held the same: after this, 34th Henry VIII. Edmund
Prat had it, and died lord, and John was his son and heir; (fn. 25) and in
the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Edward Prat was lord; and in 1650,
Osbert Prat; after this, it was sold to the Master and Fellows of Caius
college in Cambridge, and is now  held by Cyrill Wyche, Esq.
by lease from that society.
Cockfield's, alias Ellingham's, or Allen's
By the inquisitions taken in the reign of Henry III. Adam de Cockfield, and Andrew de Sackville, were found to hold three quarters of
a fee in Hockwold and Wilton of the Earl Warren, and the Earl of
the King. In 9th Edward II. John de Cockfield, by deed dated on
Wednesday before the Feast of St. Barnaby, in the 10th Edward II.
grants to William Bateman, citizen of Norwich, and Bartholomew his
son, and their heirs, this manor in Wilton and Hockwold, with the
advowson of the church of Hockwold. His seal is a cross gobony, on
the right side of his helmet is a wivern, and on the left, a round
buckle; but in the 29th Henry III. Roger Poteys was lord, and sealed,
as appears by his deed, with a fess between three rowels. In the 3d
Richard II. John Wright of Hockwold, and Sibill, his wife, daughter
of Agnes Poteys, and Joan, daughter of Catherine Poteys, sister of
the said Agnes, granted to Osbert Mundeford, this manor, which
John de Elyngham, and Emma his wife, held for her life, on the
death of John Poteys their cousin; and in 1453, John Aleyn died lord,
and left it to his son William, and in the 10th Elizabeth it was held
by Thomas Watts. In the 21st James I. Francis Baxter of StanfordRivers in Essex was lord, who in 1631 conveyed it to Thomas Heyward, Gent. for 2400l. and Heyward, in the same year, conveyed
part of it to Richard Tyrrell, Gent. and part to William Rolph, and
it is now possessed by Cyrill Wyche, Esq.
Thomas de Ingaldesthorp, by deed dated 20th August 8th
Edward II. gave to John de Mundeford, and Sibill his wife, his manor
of Stewkey's in Wilton and Hockwold, being the fourth part of the
said townships, with the advowson of the church of Hockwold.
John de Ingaldesthorp of Ikeburgh, released in 21st Richard
II. to Elizabeth, wife of Osbert de Mundeford, 10 marks yearly rent
in the manor of Stewkey's; this was held in the same family, till Mary,
daughter and heir of Osbert Mundeford, brought it to Sir William
Tindale, from whom it passed (as I have already observed) to Paston,
Heveningham, &c. and is now  enjoyed by Cyrill Wiche, Esq.
The tenths of this town, and Wilton, were 7l. 12s. 6d.
The temporalities of the Abbess of Elstowe were valued at 15s.
The Prioress and nuns of Thetford had a moor here and a fishery,
which, on the Dissolution, came to John Eyr, Esq. who sold it, 38th
Henry VIII. to Thomas Tindale, Esq. and so it it became annexed
to the lordship of this town.
There is a little peddling fair kept here on St. James's day, which
is the remains of the wake, or dedication-day of Wilton church, is
dedicated to that Apostle, as is before observed, but it is commonly
The Church of Hockwold is dedicated to St. Peter, and has a
south isle annexed to the nave or body, which is in length about 47
feet, and in breadth, with the nave, about 36 feet, built of flint and
boulder; on the pavement lie several marble grave-stones, in memory
of the Mundefords, but the brass plates are all reaved. At the west
end stands a four-square tower of flint, &c. adorned with quoins of
freestone, in which hang three bells.
In a north window of the nave are two shields,
Az. three horse-locks arg.
Fincham, barry of six arg. and sab. over all a bend ermine.
The chancel is of the same materials with the church, but covered
with reed, and is in length about 37 feet, and in breadth about 23; at
the upper end of the south wall, are three neat arches of stone, worked
in the wall, making three seats or stalls for bishop, priest, and deacon;
and at the head of these seats is another arch for holy-water; on the
summit of these arches are several shields, now daubed over with
whiting. Against the east wall of the chancel is a large marble compartment, with the busts of a man and a woman, in alabaster, and
ornamented with several instruments of musick, with two angels, one
on each side of the monument, and two pillars of the Corinthian
order. On the top is this shield,
Wyche, az. a pile erm. quartering arg. on a chevron gul. three
trefoils slipped of the first. One of the angels bears in his hand a
musick-book, the other 3 shield, viz.
Hungerford, sab. two bars arg. in chief three plates, quartering
Hungerford, party per pale indented gul. and vert, a chevron or.
Crest, a dexter arm couped, holding a trefoil. And this inscription,
Maria Hungerford, Johannis Hungerford, Armig:
Ex eadem secum Atiquâ stirpe oriundi,
Vidua, omnibus Virtutibus ornata, Munificentia in Pauperes
Ornatissima, Piam efflavit Animam, 21 Die August: 1719.
Jermyn Wyche Armiger, Cyrilli Wyche Militis Filius
Qui Uxorem duxit Mariam Hungerford, unicam Mariæ et Johan:
Virtutum et Rei ex æquo Hæredem, de qua, tres
Qui supersunt, suscepit Liberos,
Vir Sciens, Prudensq; legum vindex acerrimus, Obijt 7° Janu: 1719.
Hoc Marmor Pietatis et Amoris ergo posuit Maria Wyche, filia et
Against the end of the north wall is a little compartment, thus
Near this Place lye interr'd, the Body of William Smyth,
Rector of this Parish of Hockwold, who departed this Life the
28 of Decem. 1665, aged 64 Years.
And of Martha his Wife, who likewise dy'd in the Month of
March 1668, in the 52 Year of her Age.
When Christ who is our Life shall appear, than shall we also appear with him in Glory.
And this shield,
Smith, az. two bars wavy erm. in chief three bezants, impaling
Gul. two bendlets verry arg. and az. on a canton or, a buck trippant sab. Ford, as I take it. Crest, an ostrich's head arg. holding
in his beak an horshoe or.
Against the north wall of the chancel are these funeral achievements,
Heveningham, quarterly or and gul. in a bordure ingrailed sab.
nine escallops arg. impaling az. on a chevron between three lions
heads erased arg. as many cross croslets sab.
Norris, quarterly arg. and gul. in the second and third a fret or,
over all a fess az.
On the area of the chancel lies a black marble stone, in memory
of Collonel Arthur Heveningham, Esq. 2d brother of William Heveningham, of Heveningham in Suffolk, Esq; who dy'd 20 Feb: 1657.
Also a gray marble with the effigies of a woman in brass, and by
her side, on a brass plate, nine children are portrayed, and on a plate
below, part of the epitaph is remaining, viz.
Duisquis eris qui transieris (fn. 26) sta perlege, plora,
Sum quod eris fueramq; qund es, pro me precor, ora.
Obitus Amfelicie Hendall Cenuad Decims Octano die
Mensis Januar: An: Dni: Millesimao cccccrrriio
Adjoining to this is a grave-stone, in memory of Will: Lyng, Senior
Fellow of Cajus College, Cambridge, and Rector of this Parish, who
died Jan. 13, 1679, Ætat. suæ 54. And these arms.
Lyng, arg. a chevron ingrailed gul. between three whales heads
On a north window of the chancel,
Drate pro Animabus Johnannis Bun An: Dni: M.ccccccb.
Bernard, rector, sans date.
Adam Talebot, temp. Henry VIII.
In 28th Edw. I. the King recovered the presentation, against Edmund de Cockfield, the heir of Andrew de Sackvile being under age,
and in ward to the King.
1329, 15 Oct. John de Waringhith. The Lady Margery de
In 7th Edw. III. (fn. 27) the King recovered against Margaret, widow of
Michael de Ponyngs, by quare impedit, in the right of Robert de
Scales, under age, and in ward to the King, son of Robert and Isabella
his wife, son of Robert, son of Robert, and Margery his wife, daughter
and coheir of Fulk de Beaufo, who was lord of this town and Wilton,
11th Edw. III. John de Slakham was rector, as appears from a
fine then levied.
20th Edw. III. John Poteys was rector. (fn. 28)
1349, 21 Dec. Adam de Wykende. Sir Mich. de Poynings.
John Baxster occurs 25th Edw. III.
1381, 8 Sept. John Ergum. Sir Rich. Poynings.
1382, 26 Oct. Henry de Kelstern. Ditto. He was rector of Yeshamstede, in the diocese of Salisbury, and exchanged with Ergum;
one Ralph Ergum was Bishop of Salisbury about this time.
1385, 3 March, John de Bungey. Ditto. He was rector of WestGreenstede, in the diocese of Chichester, and exchanged with Kelstern.
1421, 16 Nov. William Tumbrell. Walter Medford, clerk,
John Martyn, Richard Wakehurst, Thomas Fykeys, John Bodney,
Richard Shirfeld, and John Blast, feoffees for the Lord Robert de
Ponyngs, in his manor of Hockwold.
1427, 14 Feb. Simon Farewell. John Martyn, one of the King's
judges, Richard Wakehurst, &c. He was rector of Uvesden or Ousden, in the diocese of Norwich, and exchanged with Tumbrell.
1428, 8 July, Will. Tumbrell, again, presented as before. By his will,
proved 30th Jan. 1431, he desires to be buried in his own chancel.
1432, 28 Feb. John Bennys. Lapse.
Bryan Fishwyk occurs rector in 38th Henry VI.
1464, 20 July, John Hall. Elizabeth Lady Ponyngs. He
was chantry priest of St. Mary, in the church of Over St. Mary, in
Cambridgeshire, and exchanged with Fishwyk.
1477, 6 Nov. John Coke, A. M. Lapse.
1495, 8 Aug. John Person. Lapse.
1497, 7 Apr. Will. Ryghtwys, A. M. on the resignation of Person.
Sir Edw. Ponyngs, Knt. He was also vicar of Fouldon.
1502, 9 May, Nic. Urswick, on the death of Ryghtwys. Ditto.
1506, John Treman, on the death of Urswick. He was also rector
of Caston by Tomson, and resigned it for Hockwold. Sir Edward
1513, 18 March, Rich. Sperchford, on the death of Treman. Ditto.
1529, 11 Nov. Tho. Bacon, A. M. on the resignation of Sperchford.
He was rector afterwards of Barrow in Suffolk. Robert Viscount
1539, 6 July, John Reynoldson, on the resignation of Bacon. (fn. 29)
1540, 22 Jan. Peter Williamson, on the death of Reynolds.
1547, 15 July, Gregory Bishop, on the death of Williamson. Tho.
Tyndale, Esq. He was also rector of Clenchwarton in Norfolk.
Gregory Bishop, A. M. presbyter, non conjugatus, satis doclus, residet, hospitalis, non prædicat, nec licentiatus, duo. (fn. 30)
1580, Robert Towne, resigned to Styles.
1599, 8 Oct. Tho. Randall, A. M. on the death of Styles. Sir
William Paston. In his answer to the King's queries in 1603, he
says there were 173 communicants in this parish.
1631, 16 Nov. Will. Smith, A.M. on the death of Randal. William Heveningham, Esq.
1665, 14 Feb. Will. Lyng, A. M. on the death of Smith. The
Master and Fellows of Caius College, Cambridge.
1680, 4 July, Charles Long, A. M. on the death of Lyng. Ditto.
1681, 26 May, Lawrence Topcliff, LL. B. on the cession of Long.
1720, 13 Sep. the Rev. Mr. Tho. Macro, A. M. the present 
rector, on the death of Topcliffe; he was afterwards D. D. preacher
at Bury, and now curate of Great Yarmouth. He holds it united to
This rectory is valued at 9l. 13s. 11d. ob. in the King's Books, and
pays first fruits, 8l. 14s. 4d. 3q.; tenths 19s. 4d. 3q.
Norwich Domesday tells us, Sir Luke de Poinings had two turns,
Sir Adam de Cockfield the third, and Sir Reginald de Argentein the
fourth; that there was a house and 40 acres of land, that there was 8d.
Peter-pence paid, 18d. synodals, 16s. 8d. procurations, and all the
turns or portions were really united. 46s. 8d. pension to Caius College for the old pension to Lewes. 1349, Sir Rob. Scales, Knt. and
Osbert de Mundeford, released their right in the patronage.