Church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, (though I have met with
it called All-Saints,) was taxed at 12 marks, and paid 14d. Peterpence; it is now valued in the King's Books at 10l. 4s. 2d. and being
sworn of the clear yearly value of 48l. 18s. 10d. it is discharged of
first fruits and tenths, and is capable of augmentation; the town
now  contains about 50 families, paid 2l. 10s. to the tenths,
and is now laid at 606l. to the tax. It is in the archdeaconry of
Norfolk, and deanery of Breccles.
1295, Rob. de Bauns. (See vol. i. p. 509.)
1298, Ralf de Bauns, or Bancis.
1305, 6 kal. July, Alexander de Refham, accolite. Sir John de
Thorp, Knt. and Alice his wife, for this turn.
1333, 12 kal. Jan. William de Mortimer. Sir Constantine de
Mortimer, senior, Knt.; he had license for non-residence.
1337, 20 Dec. Master Adam de Blofeld, priest. Ditto.
1349, 16 July, Thomas Rake of Henyngham. Ditto.
1363, 23 April, John atte Wend of Elingham. Sir Rob. de Mortimer, Knt. He had Ridlington.
1377, William atte Wende, rector.
1381, 26 Dec. John Howesson. Ditto.
1387, Simon rector here. (See vol. i. p. 538.)
1414, 10 Sept. Stephen Noble, priest. Sir John Fitz-Ralf, Knt.
Sir Constantine Fitz-Ralf, rector.
1418, 4 Feb. Sir Roger Philpot of Penteneye, priest, on Fitz-Rauf's
resignation, in exchange for the vicarage of Wigenhall St. Mary the
Virgin. John Fitz-Rauf, Esq.
1424, 10 May, Will. Elyngton, priest, on Philpot's resignation in
exchange for Coggeshall vicarage in London diocese. Ditto.
1433, 20 June, Thomas Welde, priest. Ditto.
1449, 2 Nov. Sir Robert Wasseleyn, priest. Sir Robert Coniers,
1452, 30 Sept. Sir John Hert, priest, on Wasselyn's resignation.
Sir Rob. Coniers, Knt. and Maud his wife.
Sir Robert Selot, rector.
1464, 30 April, Sir James Berry, priest. John Conyers, Esq.
Peter Newman, resigned.
1522, 14 Sept. Sir Cuthbert Howys, chaplain. Ela Lovell,
1530, 20 May, Andrew Browne, resigned. Rob. Horner and
Will. Hert, who recovered this turn, by quare impedit, against
Anthony Gurney, Esq. and Will. Bolleyn, clerk, Ela Lovell, widow,
being true patroness, having made a grant of it.
1560, 3 Aug. Thomas Bishop, priest. Sir Rich. Southwell, Knt.
1579, 24 Feb. John Kirby, or Kirkeby, A. M. The Queen.
1612, 13 Jan. Thomas Lammas, A. M. John Mathew, clerk,
1624, 17 Nov. Matthew Brownrigge. Nich. Easton, this turn.
1632, 11 May, Edw. Bulwer, A. M. on Brownrigge's resignation.
1678, 16 Oct. Charles Seppens, A. M. Edw. Bedell, Esq.
1691, 18 Nov. John Watson, on Seppens's death. Isabel, relict of
Edw. Bedell, Esq. United to Hingham.
1730, 2 Oct. the Rev. Mr. Edward Chamberlayn, clerk, on Watson's
death. Patrick St. Clair, clerk, this turn. He is the present
 rector, and holds it united to Cressingham-Magna, the patronage being in the heirs of George Bedell, Esq.
The Church is a small building, its nave being thatched, the two
isles and south porch are leaded, there is a low steeple, square at bottom and octangular at top, in which are three bells; at the upper end
of each of the isles there was a chapel and an altar in each; in the
south chapel windows are the arms of Calthorp and Mortimer; in
the north, arg. three inescutcheons or, on each a lion rampant, and
the arms of Mortimer of Atleburgh are in many places of the nave
and chancel. Against the west end of the church wall there is a
monument, on the north part of it thus inscribed,
Near this Place lieth the Body of Elizabeth the belov'd Wife
of John Daye of Scoulton, Gent. who departed this Life Sept.
20th Anno Dom: 1734, Ætatis suæ 44. She was of a most meek
Temper, and candid Disposition, endued with the most endearing Qualitys, being pious towards God, charitable towards her
Neighbours, an affectionate Wife, a loving and tender Mother.
Disce ab Exemplo.
Et memento te breviter secuturum.
5 of her Children lie by her 2 Sons, 3 Daughters.
And over her grave-stone, under the monument, is a black marble,
Sub hoc Saxo Mortales Exuviæ Elizabethæ Conjugis Charissimæ Johannis Daye de Scoulton Genr. depositæ sunt, obijt
Vicesimo die Septembris, Anno Dom: 1734. Æt: Suæ 44.
Ubi est tuus, O mors, Stimulus?
Ubi tua, O Orce, Victoria?
Daye, or on a chief indented az. two mullets of the field. Crest,
on a torce or and az. a pair of wings proper.
On the screens are these arms,
Bendy of eight gul. and ar. Arg. three croslets fitchee sab. Arg.
three crescents sub. Arg. four chevrons gul.
The instruments of the passion in different shields, as the hammer,
scourge, crown of thorns, the spear and sponge, the heart pierced,
the nails, the five wounds, and the cross, and the name of Jesus.
Sab. three screscents arg. Erm. a bend sab. Arg. a croslet floree
gul. quarterly gul. and arg. Arg. three annulets gul. Arg. an eagle
displayed vert. Arg. a de-lis gul. Arg. three croslets patée gul.
Gul. three cinquefoils arg. Arg. three cinquefoils gul.
In a north chancel window, quarterly or and gul. a bendlet sab.
There is a fine disrobed marble, which hath lost its inscription,
arms, and effigies; it is the grave-stone of John Fitz Rauf, Esq. who
was lord and patron, and was buried here in July, 1440. Lady Alice,
his daughter, was then a nun at Thetford, his sister Maud was a nun
at Brusyerd, Sir Tho. Fitz Rauff, his brother, Sir Tho. Tudenham,
Knight, Rob. Mortimer, Esq. Will. Warner of Tomson, Esq. and John
Holderness, were his feoffees and executors; Julian his wife was
buried by him in 1446; Rob. Hotot, her son, and Maud Coniers, her
daughter, are mentioned in her will.
Scoulton, Mortimers, old-Lands, or Ollands.
The advowson at first belonged to Burdeloss's manor, till 1257, and
then Robert de Mortimer purchased it of Jeffry de Burdeleys, and
ever since, it hath belonged to Roger Fitz-Renard, and came to the
Mortimers and passed in that family along with Atleburgh, as you
may see in vol. i. p. 506. (fn. 1)
In the 6th of King John, there was a writ to the sheriff to deliver
seizin of this manor to Rob. de Mortimer, whom King Richard his
father had disseized against his will, and given it to Will. Mortimer. It
was held at half a fee of the Earl Warren; and in 1223, John Earl
Warren totally released the manor to Will. de Mortimer; in 1259,
Rob. de Mortimer was impleaded for two carucates of land here,
which were Will. de Mortimer's, who was of the King of France's side,
when Normandy was lost; but the jury found he was not then seized.
This manor had free-warren, assize of bread and beer, a manor-house,
windmill and fishery, and was worth 11l. 7s. per annum in 1282.
In 1315, John de Thorp was lord, in right of Alice Mortimer, his
wife, who was mother of Constantine de Mortimer, which Constantine
had license to embattle his manor-house here in 1319.
In 1402, on the division of the Mortimers estate, as you may see in
vol. i. p. 511, this manor fell to the share of Sir John Fitz Ralf, Knt.
in right of his wife, and from that time it went with Elingham Hall
manor, as you may see in vol. i. p. 483, till 1540, and then it was
sold by Anthony Gurnay, Esq. to Sir Richard Southwell and Thomasine his wife, and their heirs, with the advowson of Trinity church
here, and Sir Edward Chamberlain released his right in it. It extended then into Rising, Cranworth, Hingham, Carbrook, and Little
Elingham; it went from the Southwells with Carbrook, to the Cranes,
and was sold by that family to the Bedells, and Edward Bedell, Esq.
was lord; and in 1691, Isabell his relict presented; it now 
belongs to the heirs of George Bedell, Esq.
The fines are at the lord's will, and the eldest son is heir.
Burdeloss And Newlands.
This manor belonged to Harold in the Confessor's time, of whom
a freeman held it; it had then three carucates, two of which were
demean, there was wood for the shackage of 300 swine, the whole
manor was worth 50s. and the whole town was about three miles long
and two broad, and raised 15d. towards the gelt. It was given to
Earl Ralf by the Conqueror, and on his forfeiture, to Berner (the
Archer.) (fn. 2)
It belonged to the Picots, and at the death of Eustace Picot, fell to
the share of his daughter, Lauretta, who carried it to Hugh de Burdeleys, her husband, who died about 30th Henry II. and she survived
him some time, and at her death it went to William de Burdeleys, her
son and heir; he bare for his arms, erm. on a chief gul. a lion passant
or, and held this manor by grand serjeantry, namely, of being the
King's chief lardiner, larderer, or larder; William de Burdeleys, his
son, succeeded, and after him Hugh de Burdeleys, in 1245, when it
contained a whole carucate in demean: he had it of his brother
William's gift in 1232; by a record in 1236, it appears that Jeffery
de Burdeleys, an elder brother of the first William, had it some time,
but he died without issue, and so it came to William. In 1251,
Jeffry brother of Hugh, paid his relief; and the year following had
livery of this and a manor in Madingle in Cambridgeshire, &c. and
had free-warren allowed him in all his lands. In 1256, it was found
upon a quo warranto, that he held it by the serjeantry of keeping the
King's larder, on the day of his coronation, and another record says,
when he would (ubi voluerit); he died in 1263, and it was found
that King Henry had granted him a charter of free-warren in his
manors of Scoulton in Norfolk, Sachesden and Bereford in Bedfordshire, Cumberton and Madingle in Cambridgeshire, and that it had
been allowed in Eire, and that Sir John de Burdeloys, Knt. was his
heir, and had assize of bread and beer, weyf and trebuchet: he married Margaret, daughter of John de Creke, who survived him, and at
her death it went to Jeffery de Burdeleys, their son and heir, whose
son, John Burdeleys, and Maud his wife, held the manor: in 1333, it
it was found that Margaret, widow of John de Burdeleys, held it by
the service of coming to the King's larder on the coronation day,
with a knife in her hand, to serve the larderer's office. John, son and
heir of this John de Burdeleys, died a minor in the King's custody,
Aug. 9, 1346; and in 1347 his estate was divided between Thomas
Marshall, who married Elizabeth, and Gilbert de Camera or de la
Chamber of Epping in Essex, who married Joan, the sisters and
heiresses of the said John, and upon the extent then made, the quitrents appear to be 35s. per annum; this was allotted to Joan, and
upon her sister Elizabeth's death without issue, it appears she also
inherited her part, except what she had aliened since the partition,
and that she was at that time married to John Fitz John, otherwise
called John de Middleton, her first husband being dead; she died
about 1374, for in that year Edmund de la Chambre, her eldest son
by her first husband, inherited: all the preceding lords constantly
served the office of lardiner: there was 20s. rent, part of this manor
lying in Thompson. Edmund de la Chambre, lord here, served the
office at the coronation of Henry IV. without contradiction, no one
having ever claimed it, besides the lords of this manor. (fn. 3) He died
in 1410, and John was his son and heir, who died in 1447, his feoffees
being obliged to release this manor to George Chambers, his son and
heir, when he came of age, who joined with Mary his wife, and sold
it to Hugh Fenne, who died seized in 1476; it after came to George
Nevile Lord Abergavenny, who died 14th of June, 37th Henry VIII,
and left it with Sutton insoken, outsoken, and burgh, to Henry Nevile
Lord Abergavenny, his son and heir, and it continued in the family,
for in 1696 the Lord Abergavenny had it, and it had been farmed by
the D'eyes of Soulton a long time: at the coronation of James II.
George Nevile Lord Bergavenny laid claim to the office of larderer,
in which the Lord Maynard claimed a turn: but the Lord Abergavenny served it; the Lord Maynard served at the coronation of
Charles II. and of King William and Queen Mary, and the Lord
Abergavenny claimed it at Queen Anne's.
The D'eyes or Days of Scoulton are an ancient family; Thomas
D'eye of Scoulton married Maud, daughter and heir of Rob. Dowming
of Scoulton, and had Robert, who married Elizabeth, daughter of
Rob. Futter of Thompson, and died Jan. 1626, leaving Thomas Deye,
their second son, but heir, who married Bridget, daughter of James
Methwold of Langford, Gent. and died in 1608, leaving Thomas Deye,
his second son, but heir, who married Barbara, daughter of Philip
Calthorp of Gressenhall, Esq.; he died 1671, leaving Rob. Day,
counsellor at law, and justice of the peace, his son and heir, who
married Sarah, sole daughter and heir of William Melsop of WestDereham, Gent. who is now his widow, and lives at Scoulton, being
lady of the manor of Newlands as it is now called, which name does
not so much as occur before 1540; the custom of which manor is, that
the eldest son is heir, the fine being certain at 2s. per acre.