EAST WIMER WARD,
Contains the several parishes of St. Peter of Hungate, St. Simon and
Jude, St. George at Tombland, St. Martin on the Plain, St. Mathew,
and St. Helen in Holmstreet.
(93) The Church of St. Peter of Hungate, or Houndes-Gate,
Is one of the ancient churches of the city, and is so called from the
hounds which formerly were kept near it for the Bishop's use, when the
house belonging to the see stood in the parish of St. Simon and Jude,
where now is the Maid's-head, and other houses.
It is a rectory valued at 30s. but was not taxed; it paid 3d. synodals, and afterwards 6d. and 9d. q. procurations; it was valued at
3l. 1s. 5d. ob. in the King's Books, and paid no first fruits; being now
discharged of tenths, it is augmented with 200l. of the late Queen's
In 1402, Henry IV. granted the rector license to purchase a piece of
ground to build a parsonage-house (fn. 1) on, which was accordingly done,
and Will. Mundes, parson of Stanninghall, and John Norwich, chaplain, conveyed it to him.
The advowson of the rectory was in the dean and chapter of the
college of St. Mary in the Fields, who presented the following
1271, Master Simon.
1328, Master Alan.
1330, Walter Thurstan of Ditchingham.
1350, Rob.de Eton,
1361, Hugh Thede of Wortham, who went to Bowthorp.
1377, Roger de Barneby, who changed for Pangesford in 1380, with
Adam de Lenn, who was buried here before the crucifix in 1384, and
was succeeded by Jeffery Jeckkes.
1400, John Dunston, who in 1416, exchanged for Spixworth, with
John Cory of Ling.
1419, Hugh Couteshale, changed his mediety of Aylmerton with
Cory; he was buried in the chancel in 1443.
1444, Will. Gibbs.
1457, Master Tho. Andrew, the last rector presented by the college,
who in 1458 conveyed the advowson under their common seal, to
John Paston, Esq. and Margaret his wife, and their heirs for ever;
Which was no sooner done, but they and the rector demolished the
whole old fabrick, which was in decay, and rebuilt the present church,
which is in form of a cross, and is a neat building of black flint; the
tower is square and hath three bells, on the first of which is In honore
Sancte Marie Wirginis. The nave, south porch, transepts and chancel, are leaded. In the east chancel window is a woman kneeling,
with the arms of Erpingham; there are also the arms of Paston quartering Barry, and Shelton impaling Berney, and Paston as before impaling Brewse; likewise a full coat of Paston and his quarterings, as
Somerton, Barry, Shelton, Wichingham, &c.
In a window on the north side of the altar, is the effigies of Thomas
Andrew, the rector, with an Orate under him; he is kneeling in a
blue vestment at prayers at an altar, his crown is shaven, and on the
tonsure is represented a white cloven tongue, to express the gift of the
spirit, by imposition of hands, of which the tonsure is the token or mark.
In the next pane is represented the extreme unction, in which he attends the sick man, (probably Paston his patron,) on his knees, at his
bed's feet, while another priest in purple performs the ceremony, and by
him is the host; by the bed's side appears the face of the evil angel,
which cannot approach him: the rector being again placed on his knees
before the gates of the new Jerusalem, represented by that city in the
clouds; and in another south chancel window are the four Evangelists
and their emblems; in the opposite north window, St. Jerom, St. Austin, &c. defaced; and in the east window of the north transept, is the
same rector as before, who was buried in the chancel in 1468.
It appears by the date in stone on the buttress by the north door,
that it was finished in 1460, where there is an old trunk of an oak, represented without any leaves, to signify the decayed church; and
from the root springs a fresh branch with acorns on it, to denote the
new one, raised where the old one stood; the words are, Fundata in Anno Domini Mcccclio
1468, Febr. 16, Will. Mann, Margaret, relict of John Paston,
1490, Rob. Tomson, A. M. lapse.
1507, Tho. Toly, lapse.
1512, Will. Collis, ob. William Paston, Esq.
1561, John Fisher, ob. Ditto.
1570, Rob. Robertson. Ditto.
John Burgess, deprived.
1590, John Holden, resigned in 1598. Sir Will. Paston, Knt.
1603, George Mody, lapse.
1609, 27 April, Joseph Jeffery. John Crop of London, Gent.
1614, John Holden. Ditto.
1615, Tho. Townly. John Crop, physician.
1627, Rob. Kempe. Ditto.
1636, William Bridge, deprived.
1638, June 1, Thomas Grundey, Robert Craske and Tho. Corey, aldermen of Norwich; from which time it hath been held by
sequestration only, or license, at the Bishop's appointment, and
The Rev. Dr. Ben-Joseph Ellis is now  sequestrator or curate.
Dr. Prideaux says, it was endowed with 2l. per annum, and the
arbitrary contributions then were 20l. and are much the same now.
The plate belonging to the altar here is, a very curious wrought
standing cup and cover, with this round it,
Ex Dono ThomÆ Lane et MariÆ Uxoris ejus.
A large paten, on which, Deo et Ecclesiœ Sti. Petri de Hungate 1675.
Two plain flaggons containing about a pint and half each, and
offering bason, without inscriptions or dates.
In the altar rails on a brass plate:
Here lyeth the Body of Thomas Spendlove late of Norwich
Gent. some tymes one of the Aldermen of this Cittye, who deceased the first Daye of April A. D. 1636, and likewyse the Body
of Margaret Spendlove the Wife of the said Thomas, who
deceased the 26 Day of July A. D. 1608.
Eliz. Dr. of Will. Browne, born 1690, died 1727, Eliz. her
Mother, first Wife of William Browne Dr. of Tho. King of Lyng
in Norfolk, 1710, 43, Mary Dr. of Will. and Eliz. Browne 1711,
23, Will. Browne died 1727, 64, and was buried in Braken-Ash
chancel. Lydia Wife of Henry King, Dr. of Will. Browne,
1734. Their characters their friends will tell with pleasure.
Reliquiæ Ricardi Charles Filij natû maximi Ricardi Charles de
Haceby in Comitatu Lincolniensi Clerici qui obijt tertio die Maij
A. D. 1723, 37.
Hic jacet Elizabetha, Filia Caroli & Elizabethæ Baseley, quæ
obijt 4to die Oct. 1726, vixit 13 Hebdom. Sacrum Memoriæ
Elizabethæ nuper Uxoris Caroli Baseley quæ obijt 16 die Julij
A. D. 1728, 28.
Eliz. Wife of Will. Lamb Gent. Dr. of Sam. Verdon late of
Shotisham St. Mary Gent. 1727, 61.
Rebeckah, Martha, and Mary, Drs. of John and Martha
Drake, and John their Son 1711.
Here lyeth the Body of Dame Anne Palgrave, Relict of
Sir John Palgrave of Norwood Barningham in the County of
Norfolk Knt. and Baronet deceased, first the Wife and Relict
of Cotton Gascoigne of Illington in the said County Esq. deceased, and one of the Drs. of Sir William de Grey Knt. and Dame
Ann his Wife, of Merton in the same County deceased, which
said Ann departed her Life 25 Dec. 1676.
Gascoigne single, D'Grey in a lozenge, Palgrave single.
Bullock, gul. a chevron between three bullocks heads caboshed
arg. armed or, impales De Grey.
The pious and vertuous Mary Relict of Henry Bullock
late of Faulcborne in Essex Esq. Dr. of Sir William de Grey Knt.
and Dame Anne his wife, late of Merton died in this Parish Dec.
27, 1664, and lieth interr'd to rest, 'till the glorious Day of her
There is a brass partly covered, with this only apparent,- - - - -ia,
Uxor Augustini - - - - - die Oct. in Anno Salutis 1596.
Flynt, sab. two lions combatant gul. on a chevron ingrailed arg.
between three crescents erm. impales, on a fess three escalops.
D. T. O. M. S.
Rogerus Flynt Rector de Runcton Juxta Mare in Agro
Norff. Illustrissimo Heröi ARTHURO Domino CAPEL Baroni
de Hadham, ob Regiam Causam decollato, deinde CAROLO (fn. 2)
Martyris olim è Sacris inter arma; ob eandem causam bonis
Beneficijs tèr spoliatus, privatus; tam adversa, quam prospera,
æquo ferens animo infracto, hilarique, familaribus gratus, Amicis
charus, Invidiâ, calumnijsque (tantum non obrutus) devictis et
triumphatis; animam reddidit Creatori, Patri Redemptori, A°
Æt. lxx°, Verbique incarnati OIO iocxxcvo. Kalend. Januarij
Margareta Flynt, Rogeri Uxor, Juxtà Maritum hìc contumulatur, obijt 3° die Mensis Decembr. A°. D. MDCXC°. Æt.
suæ LXXV. Sarah Pate her Grand-Child, Dec. 7, 1706.
Eliz. Dr. of Ric. and Anne Browne 1716, and their other children, Samuel 1717, John 1720, Anne 1725, George and Charles
1729, and also Anne Browne 1732, 38, she was a faithfull and
loving Wife, an affectionate and carefull Mother, a kind Neighbour, and a good Christian. Will. her son 1733, 15.
In the south porch, Henry Young 1714, 59, and his four children,
Abraham 1713, Duffield and Mary 1712, Ann 1715.
This Porch was built by Nicholas Ingham, mercer, who was buried
in it in 1497, and gave 12 silver spoons to the church.
The following memorials are in the church, beginning at the west
Dorothy Wife of John Rolfe 1673. John Rolfe Gent. 1706,
66. Eliz. Dr. of Henry and Frances Gale, 1687. Samuel their
son July 1688, and Mary their Dr. Aug. 1688. Nic. Hale'knite
1652, Frances Reve 1690, 26, Samuel Claphamson 1690, Francis
Claphamson 1691. Tho. Donne of Holt-Market
Gent. 1685, 70. Memoriæ Mariæ Blenkar 3° Octob. 1677. Robert Cubitt, William Cubitt, Christopher Son of Will. Cubitt
1684. Dorothy his Dr. wife to John Inman, Will. Inman son of
John and Dorothy, 1688, Mrs. Jane Thacker 1665, Mr. Ric.
Thacker her Husband 1668. - - - - Hewet Dr. of - - - - Hastings
1706. Hewett with a crescent, impaling Hastyngs. - - Mordecai
Here lieth the Body of the Honble Colonel Robert Laton, Son
of Sir Robert Laton, of Sexhow in the County of York, by Anne
his first Wife, the Dr. of Sir Thomas Davison of Blakeston in the
Bishoprick of Durham, who departed this Life Feb. the 19th.
1737, aged 70. Also Ann his Wife, who died 30th. Dec. 1740,
Crest, a Saracen's head proper, with a turban or and sub.
Laton, arg. a fess between three croslets fitché sab.
Davison, gules, a buck trippant or,
1390, William Bernard, chaplain, was buried in the church. 1451,
John Dapeleyn, mason, buried in the churchyard, and gave 4 marks
to paint the rood-loft. Walter Paston, clerk, was buried here
before the image of St. John the Baptist. This Walter was just come
from Oxford, and died at the city house of the Pastons in this parish,
called Paston's Place; he gave his manor of Cressingham to John
Paston, Esq. his brother; and when he inherited his father's estate,
it was then to go to his brother Edmund, between whom, and Anne
Yelverton his sister, and Margery wife of his brother John, he divided
all his goods. 1472 John Berney of Redham, Esq. gave 29s. to this
church; he had a city house in the parish, which was called Berney's Inn, and it continued a long time in the family, for in 1625,
Lady Julian Berney dwelt in it. 1659, Mrs. Mary Barnham, aldress,
wife of Justice Will. Barnham, was buried in the church.
In 1247, John Boude left legacies to the anchorites at St. Peter of
Hungate, St. Christopher, St Michael's at Plea, and St. George at
Tombland, there being one dwelling at each of these churches.
In 1639, the common well by the elm in this parish was made a common pump, as it now remains, and is to be maintained by the parish.
Mr. Kirkpatrick says, he was informed, that Mr. Mordecai Hewet,
merchant was buried in this church, and bequeathed 500l. for ever,
to be lent out for 7 years freely, to 20 young tradesmen of this city,
at 25l. a man, and appointed certain trustees by his will, for putting it
The house at the north-west corner of the churchyard, formerly paid
2s. per annum to the rector, and was anciently inhabited by women,
who dwelt together there under a religious vow, and were called the
sisters of St. Peter, sometimes the sisters at Houndgate, and sometimes
the widows there.
The religious concerned here were, the college of the chapel in the
Field, the Prioress of Carhowe, the Abbots of Sibton. and Creyk, the
Priors of Wimundham, Bukenham, Bromholme, Hickling, and St.
Faith's; the Abbots of St Alban's and of Holm, the Master of St.
Giles's hospital, and the Prior of Norwich, whose houses here were
given to the monastery about 1360, by Sara wife of Nigel de Halys,
and others; there was a pension of 2s. a year, out of Hales's tenement,
to Creyk abbey, and in 1519, to Christ's college in Cambridge,
in right of that abbey; in 1328, Alan, rector of St. Peter, licensed
William de Ocle, then almoner of the monastery, on which office the
revenues in this parish were settled, to enclose all the east side of the
churchyard with a wall, and to have a door and gate there, paying 2d.
a year to the rector.
The whole western part of this parish being demolished, and laid
into the site of the Friars-preachers, the rector sued the prior for
loss of his offerings, tithes, and profits, accruing from the demolished
houses; upon which, the prior and convent were obliged to give security in 1451, to the rector, according to the direction of the King's
writ, that notwithstanding the Pope's bulls lately obtained by John
Pynnesthorp, then prior, that the convent should have the whole legacies given them, yet nevertheless, the rectors of this parish, as heretofore, should have a fourth part of all their legacies, according to the
sacred canons, by which all parsons of parish churches were to have
the like; and as the prior had cited the rector to appear at the court
of Rome, contrary to the statute of 38 Edward III. he was forced to
submit and make agreement with the rector, and fine to the King.
This house of friars is partly in this, and partly in St. Andrew's
parish, and the most southern part was formerly the site of the
(94) Priory of the Friars de Sacco,
Or Brethren of the Sac,
Called also de Penitentiâ Jesu, (fn. 3) who settled here about 1250, in a
house given them by Sir William de Gissinthe, (or Gissing,) clerk,
which stood opposite to the steeple of St. Peter's of Hungate church,
in the yard of which they built an oratory or church, and had it dedicated to the Virgin Mary; and in 1258, John de Vaus, son of Oliver
de Vaux, gave them a messuage in St. Andrew's parish, joining to the
west part of their house; (fn. 4) (fn. 5) and in 1307, William de Ho, prior of the
brethren here, released it to the Lady Petronel de Nerford and her
heirs, under the convent seal, and she the same week leased it again to
the said William and his brethren, so long as they inhabited there,
and then to revert to her heirs. (fn. 6)
In 1271, their foundation was confirmed by Simon, rector of St.
Peter in Hundegate, and the dean and chapter of the college of St.
Mary in the Fields, patrons of St. Peter, under their seals; (fn. 7) by which
they had license to appropriate the yards and houses, given them by
Sir William de Gissing, clerk, their founder, to their use, upon finding
four persons to be bound, to keep harmless the rector of St. Peter,
from any loss as to the profits of his living; who licensed them on
that condition, to have an oratory or private chapel in their house,
and also a church and steeple, with liberty to celebrate all divine services therein, ring their bells, and bury the dead, as well regulars as
seculars, except the parishioners of St. Peter's, unless such as should
desire to be buried among them; but their offerings, &c. were to belong
to the rector, and the convent was not to admit any parishioners to
any ecclesiastical duties, to the detriment of the church, but was to pay
to the rector 3s. yearly; and to confirm the whole, Roger Bishop of
Norwich gave his consent in the presence of Master Godfrid le Gros,
official of Norwich consistory, Master William of St. Faith, Henry de
Norwich, clerk, Will. de Dunwich, and others; and soon after, Rob.
Laddings, shoemaker, and Amy his wife, gave them a messuage in St.
Andrew's, adjoining to the last mentioned messuage north, and abutting west on the street leading to the New-brigge; and Thomas son of
Ric. de Stalham and John his brother, released a rent of 30d. a year,
due to them out of Ladding's messuage; in 1276, Will. son of Peter
But confirmed a piece of land in St. Andrew's, adjoining to their site;
all which became
(95) The site of the Friars-preachers,
In the year 1307, when Edward I. licensed the prior of the preachers
to come and settle here with his whole convent, reserving to Will. de
Ho, the last prior of the brethren of the Sac, who was then living, but
decrepit with old age, his dwelling and maintenance during life.
These Friars-preachers were so called from their office; Black
Friars from their habit, and Dominicans from St. Dominic their founder, who died in 1221, and was canonized by the Pope in 1233. The
first friars of this order came hither in 1226, (fn. 8) and were at first
(96) The church of St. John the Baptist,
Which was then parochial, and a rectory; but upon making it their
conventual church, the parish was united to St. George at Colgate, and
the church used by the friars for their own, in which I find the
following persons were buried,
1372, Sir Edmund Wauncy, Knt. and John Banham of Langhale.
1382, Will. Schattock, rector of Hakeford All-Saints by Reepham.
1394, Tho. Hilde, vicar of Bauburgh. 1397, Sir Andrew, the chaplain of Cringleford 1408, Walter de Bixton, merchant, in the choir
by Elen his first wife.
When they removed to the other side of the water, they performed
service in this church, or chapel, as it was called after they left it, and
fixed a hermit to dwell there and look after it.
In 1444, John Crowland was buried in this church, and at the Dissolution it passed, with their whole old site, (which was then their great
garden,) to the city, (fn. 9) by the King's grant, who have since leased it out,
and much of it is now built upon; the whole old site laid between the
churches of St. George of Colgate, St. Clement at the Bridge, and St.
Mary Unburnt, which stood at the corner of Golden-dog lane.
They were founded by Sir Tho. Gelham, Knt. who gave them
the church and a house to live in, and not only got them confirmed by
King Henry III. but also procured 10 marks as a gift from that Prince.
The rest of their site, which they had here, was of the gifts of these
1253, Imena and Christiana, daughters of Hermer de Totington.
Will. Curteys, son of Will Surreye and Alice Curteys his wife, gave
them a messuage in St. John's parish: in 1261, Will. de Dunwich and
Cath. his wife, gave them a garden on the west side of their site. (fn. 10)
In 1273, Sir Ric. de Norwich, Knt. gave them a messuage and yard
opposite to their site, which extended from the street to the river. (fn. 11) In
1280, they enclosed their site with a precinct wall, which then laid in
the parishes of St. Mary Unburnt and St. Clement of Fibrigge. In
1284, Sir John le Blund, chaplain, and Margaret, daughter of Henry
le Waleys of Swerdeston, gave two messuages to the convent. In 1290,
they got another messuage of the Prioress of Carrowe, and a piece
added by Roger de Penteneye. In 1299, John de Acle, clerk, and Agnes his wife, gave them a messuage which he purchased of Tho. de
Helgheton, and Alice his widow released it; and Tho. de Depham,
clerk, gave them another. And thus this site was perfected, which
after they left it, was called the Black-hall.
After their removal to their new site, in 1308, Petronel de Nerford,
widow, daughter of Sir John de Vallibus or Vaus, released to God, the
Virgin Mary, and the preaching brethren in Norwich, all her right in
their site, in St. Peter of Hungate and St. Andrew's parishes, which
was of her father's inheritance, and by him given to the Brethren of
the Sac; and Sir Will. de Ros of Hamlak, and Maud his wife, did the
same; she being a daughter of Sir John de Vaus; his deed is dated at
Pentney, in the presence of Will. de Kerdeston, Sir Reginald le Gros,
and Sir Tho. Bardolf, Knts.
In 1310, Will. But and Christian his wife, by license of King Edward II. conveyed a piece of land 500 feet long and 400 feet broad,
with a key lying at Newbrigge, to enlarge their site; and the same year,
Silvester Sparrow conveyed a messuage in St. Andrew's to them for
that purpose, and Pope Clement V. confirmed them, and their removal
In 1311, Sara, widow of Ralph the fishmonger, gave them a messuage to lay into their site, which laid in Hungate parish; and in 1312,
Egidia, daughter of Adam Beneyt of Southreppes, gave another in the
same parish; and Thomas Boton gave them another in St. Andrew's,
and John de Hengham a cottage in Hungate. In 1313, Adam de
Blickling gave a messuage in Hungate, which was released by Reginald his son; in 1318. But before the friars had finished getting
what land they designed, to enlarge their site, on May 4, 1413, their
house and church, and all the buildings, were burnt down, so that they
were forced to return to their old church and site over the water, where
they continued till they were burnt out there by another accidental
fire in 1449, and were forced to come hither again before they had
finished their church or convent. (fn. 12)
In 1321, Andrew de Dalling gave them a house in Hungate, and
Andrew Somersweyn another; they laid against St. Peter's churchyard,
and were demolished to make the preaching-yard.
In 1331, the city was displeased at their getting so many houses to
demolish them, for their site, and got the escheator to seize all such as
had been given and purchased without license in mortmain; but in
1350, they were all confirmed by the King's pardon, with others given
by Rob. le Fevre, Alexander de Sparham, and Ric. de Heylesdon.
In 1353, John le Clerk of Okle had license to give in mortmain, a
toft in Norwich, to enlarge their churchyard. In 1367, Christian,
widow of John de Halys and Henry de Halys, her son and heir, released 3s. yearly rent, out of a tenement in St. Christopher's, opposite to
their site, which was granted by Will. Roberts, deacon, general proctor in England to Rouncival or Rocidival hospital, to the said John de
Halys; (fn. 13) and in 1369, Stephen de Rypon, then proctor-general of that
hospital, also confirmed it.
In 1395, King Richard II. confirmed all their gifts and privileges,
and in 1485, Richard III. did the same, as did the Pope also; and
from this time, the friars continued quiet in their whole possessions,
which contained only their old site, and a messuage opposite to it,
and a house opposite to their new site, which now extended from St.
Andrew's-street, to the river, from south to north, and from the street
going down by Hungate church, to Newbrigge-street from east to west:
their maintenance being chiefly owing to the charitable contributions
of the citizens, and gentlemen of the country, many of whom lie buried
in their conventual church, as I learn from the will books, and other
evidences that I have seen.
Burials in the Black Friars church, at their new site.
1434, Dame Margaret, wife of Sir Gilbert Talbot, and afterwards of
Sir Constantine Clifton. 1439, Sir John Parlet, priest. Sibil, widow
of John Pain, by her father and mother. 1440, John Tyllys, rector
of St. Buttolph in Norwich, and gave 10 marks. 1442, Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. buried in the midst of the choir. 1443, Rob. Cariol and
Simon Thurton. 1444, Rob. Norwich, senior, Gent. 1446, Cecily
Cariol. 1448, Will. Mayes. 1451, James Syff, and Tho. Ingham the
younger. 1452, Edm. Segeford, mercer, at the upper end of the
north isle, in the chapel there, by the window glazed with the history
of the Magnificat psalm, and founded an obit for a friar to sing for
him 10 years, and to have 5 marks a year; he gave 20l. towards the
furniture of the high-altar and ordered a stone to be laid over him,
with this inscription, Drate pro anima Dilli. Segeford. 1455, Thomas
Ingham, senior, by his son. 1458, Alice, widow of Sir Roger Harsick,
Knt. and gave 5 marks to repair the new altars. The same year,
these were also interred in the church: Reginald Herryesson, before
the high-altar. Kat. Marchale, who gave 20s. towards building a new
rood-loft, and Will. Stubbe of Skottowe, who gave 10 marks to repair
their hall and infirmary, and 20 marks for a 4 years obit. 1459, Joan,
wife of Nic. Wichingham, Esq. of Woodrising, Dr. of Fastolf, buried in
Sketys chapel in this church, and Alice wife of Edm. Foster, hosier,
who gave a legacy to their library. This year also was Katherine widow of Sir Simon Felbrigge buried by her husband, and gave 20l. towards building a new steeple to the church. 1467, John Palgrave,
Esq. in the choir by the grave of Margaret his wife. 1472, Will.
Lockwood alias Cleyveland, clerk, buried at the head of Sir Simon
Felbrigge's monument. 1472, Jowet Bumpstede, widow, by Thomas
Bumpstede, her husband, at the entrance of the choir. 1475, John
Roberds. 1477, Rob. Harpeley, Gent. 1479, Agnes Caumbridge,
widow, by the tomb of Tho. Ingham, her late husband. 1485, Margaret Smith, by St. Barbara's altar. 1487, Edmund son of John Hastings and Eleanor his wife, daughter of Sir Edward Wodehouse, Knt.
1497, Peter Peterson, by Alice his wife, and Alice Warme widow, by
Thomas Warme her husband. Besides these already mentioned, Will.
Mawtby, Esq. John Debenham, Esq. and Margaret Erpingham, were
here interred. (fn. 14)
1501, Anne widow of Roger Drury, Esq. by the grave of John Pagrave, Esq. formerly her husband, she was a great benefactrix: and
Agnes Swill, widow, by her husband, and also Robert Woderove, in the
cloister, by Maud his wife. 1502, Philip Curson, Gent. and Alderman, afterwards of Liringsete, was a benefactor; and this year Dame
Joan Blakeney widow, was buried in St. Mary's chapel on the south
side of the church, and had a stone laid over her; she gave also 20l.
to buy a chalice, and 20 marks for a vestment. 1503, Austin Bois of
Norwich, by Margaret his wife. Isabel Ronham widow, and John
Cowting. 1504, Anne Jeckis, single woman. 1505, John Foster and
Gerard Johnson, by Julian his wife, and gave 12l. to repair the church.
1506, Will. Lincoln. 1508, Joan Geddeney widow. 1509, John Barnard, Esq. before our Lady's altar in the south side of the middle alley,
and was a good benefactor. 1511, Robert Barnard of Norwich, Esq.
buried by him, Anne his first wife was dead, and Eleanor his daughter
was his heiress; he was lord of Saye's manor in Longstratton, which
he gave to his son Christopher Calthorp, his executor; his tomb is now
standing, and is called the Stone, it being used in room of a table,
at which St. George's company used to meet. 1518, Joan Dogget, by
St. Barbara's altar. 1522, Eliz. widow of Robert Felmingham, before
that, wife of John Holdiche, Esq. by whom she was buried; she gave
a legacy to Felmingham church, and a cope of twenty marks, with the
arms of John Holdiche to the church of Fouldon; she ordered a stone
and brass plates to be fixed thereon, viz. an image of our Lady and
John Holdiche, kneeling on one side, and their two sons by him, and
an inescutcheon of his arms; and on the other side Robert Felmingham
in his coat-armour, and herself and three daughters by her, in their
winding-sheets, in the middle, and the said stone was to be fixed in
the wall near their graves.
1529, Roger Colam, buried on the south side of Master Berneye, by
our Lady's altar, and Dr. Todenham was to have 4l. a year to sing for
him for 7 years.
At the Dissolution, the city made interest to the Duke of Norfolk,
who applied to the King for a grant of the convent, and all that belonged to it, for the use of the city; and Austin Steward, alderman,
much promoted it, by attending his Majesty with a petition from the
city, requesting him to grant it them, to make of the church, a fair
and large hall, for the mayor and his brethren, with all the citizens,
to repair unto at common assemblies, as they used heretofore to do,
and to have a pulpit for all strangers, and others, to preach in every
Sunday and holiday in the forenoon and afternoon, when there was
no sermon at the cathedral cross, and to make a chapel of the choir
for the citizens priest, to perform daily service in, and also at their
assemblies; and to make of the dortor and fraytor, granaries, to
lay up the city's store of corn for the poor, and to maintain the malthouse, mill-house, and bake-house, for the city's profit, and the old
site, orchards, &c. to be let out to maintain the said church or hall,
and houses belonging to it; upon which, the house being suppressed,
the King, for 81l. paid for the premises by the city, and 152l. more
for 38 fodders of lead, which covered the church and houses, by authority of parliament, granted to the mayor, &c. the whole new site
and all therein contained, and all their old site in St. Clement's and St.
Mary's Unburnt, with the chapel, houses, &c. therein contained, and
all the ponds, pools, and fisheries, and one tenement in St. Clement's,
which led down to the water, to be held in capite by the 20th part of
a fee, and 9s. a year to the Court of Augmentations; the grant is dated
25th. June 32d Henry VIII. but in 3d of Edward VI. the homage and
rent due from the city was released by that King.
The Priors of This House
Whose Names Occur in the Evidences I have Seen, are,
1259, Brother Robert de Hecham. 1290, Nic. de Edenham. 1305,
Jeffery de Derham. 1374, Adam de Halesworth, who was general
proctor for the order in the whole diocese. 1381, Robert de Freton,
Robert Felmingham. 1452, John Pynnesthorp. 1370, Roger de Wichingham. 1383, Brother Simon Curteys. 1501 Dr. Roger Bemunde.
1505, Brother Thomas Bekylls. 1407, Will. Bryggs, (see Fox 2011.
2023.) 1536, Edmund Harcock or Harock. 1538, and Brother Tho.
Bryggs, S. T. B. after the Dissolution rector of Brisingham, &c. see
Remarkable friars of this convent, for learning and eloquence,
Brother John de Somerton, born at the village of that name in Norfolk, educated in this convent, was for his learning made bachelor in
divinity, being a famous preacher in English and Latin; he published
a course of sermons for the whole year. Pitts mentions him at page
1371, Brother Jeffery Swanton. 1378, John Kynyngham. 1379,
Thomas Peverel. 1380, John Clare. 1416, Thomas Wodebridge.
1448, John Rockland. 1460. Simon Upton. 1472, Brothers Jerom,
Will. Worsted, Henry Sharpen, Henry Cossey, and Walter, S. T. B.
Dr. Myntelyng. 1493. Br. John Windham. 1495, Rob. Tye. And
in the next century, Br. John Hugen, chief provincial of all England.
(Fox 998.) Br. Richard Ingworth S. T. P. (Fox 998.) Friar Julles
or Julleys, S. T. P. (See Pt. I. p. 205, Fox 1010.) Dr. Stokes, &c.
Immediately after, it was granted to the city. It appears from the
chamberlains account 33 Henry VIII. (fn. 15) that they leased off divers parts
of both the sites, as the houses new built over the south gate, the
malting-office, a garden newly severed from the preaching-yard, the
late anker's house; (fn. 16) the chapel on the great garden in the old site, &c.
And now a publick grammar school was kept here, (fn. 17) and Walter
Halle made master; the infirmary being appointed for that use; but
on his being removed to the present free-school, this was made a granary for a publick stock of corn for the poor, to which we meet with
The cloister is on the north side of the church, with a churchyard or burial-place, in the midst of it; the convent kitchen at the
north-west corner of it was in 1625 appointed to set the poor on work
in; the dortor or dormitory, was one great room over the east side of
the cloister; the west side was the freytor, the west part of the south
side the firmary, and the chapter-house joined to the midst of the east
side of the cloister, beyond it, and the library was a long building from
east to west, near the north side of the chancel; and as the convent is
at this day, I much question whether there be so much remaining of
any convent of friars in England.
The church is a most noble and beautiful pile, remaining still whole
and very perfect, except the steeple, which stood between the nave
and the choir, and for want of looking after, fell down Nov. 6, 1712,
(the weather being very calm,) and much damaged the nave and
choir. This steeple was built about 1462, by the liberal benefactions
of Dame Catherine, widow of Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. Dame Margaret, wife of Sir Constantine Clifton, Sir Gilbert Talbot, Knt. Tho.
Ingham, and Sir Roger Harsick, who left legacies, and gave divers
sums in their lifetime for that purpose; several arms carved in stone
were preserved at its fall, and are now fixed in the walls, as Talbot
impaling Clifton, Talbot single, a lion rampant impaling Monthermer;
and many impalings and quarterings of Caily; there are also the arms
of Sir Simon Felbrigge, Knt. in a garter, and those of Stapleton, who
were all benefactors to it.
It was a neat pile, and sexangular at top, as the plate of it taken
by Mr. Daniel King, which is to be met with in some copies of the
Monasticon, shows me; and was a great ornament to the city; it had
three large bells in it and a clock, before the Dissolution; in 1713,
the breaches were filled up, by building a new gable to the east end of
the hall, over the door of which is this inscribed,
Tempore Majoratûs Johannis Goose Armigeri, hujus Civitatis Majoris, hic murus Orientalis lapsu Turris dejectus, reædificatus est, Ao. Dni. 1712.
And that at the west end of the choir, which is now the Dutch church,
was rebuilt the next year, for over the door is this,
Tempore Majoratûs Nicholai Helwys Armigeri, 1713.
The choir was the ancient church of the friars, which was by them
dedicated to St. John the Baptist, as the church of their old site was,
and stood on the place where the church of the Brethren of the Sac,
which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary stood, which they pulled
down when they first came hither, and built this; it is a long building,
in the middle of which, before the high-altar, stood Sir Simon Felbrigge's tomb, by whose family, and own generosity, it had been partly
built and adorned. At the west end stood an organ; (fn. 18) and on the
rood loft, besides the holy rood, were the images of St. Quyrine, St.
Peter of Milain, &c. with lights before them; as had also the images
of St. Michael, our Lady, St. Agnes, St. Nicholas, St. Christopher, &c.
all which were in the choir.
As soon as it came into the hands of the city, it was made a chapel
for the corporation, in which was performed daily service morning and
evening for such citizens as pleased to go thither; and here the gilds
of the several companies used to hear mass, and make their offerings,
and the city appointed Mr. John Kempe, clerk, chaplain of it for life; (fn. 19)
and in the yard on the south side, was a pulpit, in which all strangers
and others preached every Sunday and holiday, both forenoon and
afternoon, when there was no sermon at the cathedral cross, as was
usually heretofore done; this was called,
The Preaching-place, or Green yard at the hall, where such as
died of the plague in St. Andrew's parish, were buried.
Aug. 10, 1542, Sir John Kempe, chaplain, built the three rooms
over the south entrance of the hall, for his own lodging; upon which
the city granted them to him for life, with a condition, that if the offerings and profits of his chapel of St. John, did not yearly amount to
6l. 13s. 4d. that they would make up to him that sum. (fn. 20) At his death
there were no more chaplains presented by the city to this chapel, so
that the constant service ceased; and his lodgings were assigned to
the sword-bearer, for lodgings for such preachers as came to preach
at the Common-place in the city on Sundays, and other publick times,
who were to be taken care of, and supplied with all necessaries, at the
expense of the city. And thus it continued till 1608, when they were
converted into a publick library for the city, as they still remain.
When service ceased here, the Dutch congregation petitioned the
city for it, for a place of worship, which was accordingly granted, and
they used it by leave only till 1619, and then it was leased to them at
6s. 8d. per annum and made convenient for their congregation, and
was called, as it now is,
The Dutch Church.
In 1650, the mayor, &c. had the forenoon service here, and attended
at it instead of the cathedral, and the sermons used at the cross in the
Green-yard at the cathedral, were removed to the Green-yard here,
and the Dutch to St. Peter's of Hungate. But in 1661, the pulpit and
seats in the Green-yard here were removed again to the yard by the
cathedral, and attendance given there as usual, and the Dutch had
possession of their church again. In 1687, the Roman Catholicks pe
titioned to have it from the Dutch, for the free exercise of their religion,
but the Dutch kept possession, and then the city assigned them the
west granary here for that use, which till very lately was used by
the Independant congregation, as their meeting-house; as the other
granary was by the Presbyterian congregation. The Dutch congregation pays 6s. 8d. per annum to the city; their lease was made for 200
years, and commenced June 15, 1713.
Other parts of this house are made
A Work-house for the poor, the treasurer of which pays for the
several rooms, chambers, and apartments, belonging to the Newhall,
let to the corporation of the said workhouse, from Michaelmas 1712,
for 60 years, 20l. per annum.
1724, Alderman Gobbet, late Nic. Helwys, Esq. pays for the brewhouse at Black-Friars bridge, and other houses there, let for 61 years,
from Michaelmas 1703, 20l. and for the late mint, and that some time
the Romish chapel, with the cellars and arches under the same let from
1705, for 59 years, 10l. per annum.
Benjamin Nuthall, Esq. pays for a house built in part over the
south gate of the Newhall, and for the garden and tenement adjoining,
parcel of the preaching yard, 10l. per annum, and for the Green-yard,
10s. per annum, lease from Michaelmas 1723, for 80 years.
Other parts of these buildings were formerly used for
The sealing-halls, of bays, says, &c. In 1579, the city purchased of Mr. George D'alves, and Mr. Fitz Williams, her Majesty's pensioners, their lease of the alnage and subsidies of the new commodities
made in Norwich, for 300l.
1616, They purchased the Crown seal of the Duke of Lenox,
which was put to every cloth; those made in Norwich had the city
arms; and those made in the country had the castle without the lion;
and those made by strangers had the ship; those made in Norwich by
Englishmen, if defective, had Norwich in the ring; and if by aliens,
the word alien in the middle; and if in the country, the word Norfolk. But now these seals are laid aside in general.
In the late troubles, the Green-yard or preaching-place, was made
the artillery ground, and that company had the low rooms by the
porch for their arms; and in 1672, the scaffolds and seats in the artillery ground were taken down to repair the south side of the hall.
The City Library, which is over the south porch, was begun in
the year 1608, (fn. 21) when Jerom Goodwyne, swordbearer, resigned the rooms
called the chaplain's lodge, and afterwards the preachers lodgings, for
that purpose; since which time, it hath increased by the benefactions
of the subscribers and others; as Mr. Nelson, whose library was a great
addition to it; the number of books, names of the benefactors, orders,
&c. appear in the catalogue of it printed at Norwich in qo. Ao. 1732,
which being easily to be met with, I shall refer my readers thither.
The church, now the Common-hall, called St. Andrew's-hall, is
a neat, grand, and beautiful building; the six pillars on each side,
which support the nave, are small and handsome: the whole, which
consists of two isles and a nave, is very uniform, being covered with
lead; it is about 50 yards long, and 30 wide; the two isles are of the
same length with the nave, each being exactly half as wide as the
nave is. There are 14 upper windows, and six lower ones on a side;
and the whole was new paved in 1646. It hath been used as an Exchange for the merchants and tradesmen to meet in, but that is now
disused. The Assizes for the city are held here, and the mayors
Formerly all the several companies of tradesmen held their feasts
here, and several of them had the Arms of their companies put up,
some of which still remain. The courts of conscience, of the guardians for the poor, &c. are constantly held here.
This noble fabrick was built by Sir Thomas Erpingham, Knt.
for whom see p. 38, 9, and his arms carved in freestone remain
between every window of the nave on the outside; he died in 1428,
before it was completely finished; but the glazing, &c. was continued
by Sir Rob. de Erpingham his son, rector of Brakene, a friar in this
house; whose arms were in the late fine painted glass windows, all
which are demolished, except the six most western ones in the nave,
in which there now remains the arms of Sir Tho. de Kerdeston, Knt.
impaling De la Pool and Wingfield, and az. on a saltier arg. the five
wounds gul.; those of Sir Andrew Butler, Knt. Sir Will. Phelip, Knt.
and Ric. Gegge, Esq, executors to Sir Thomas Erpingham. Bishop
Alnwick's, who was supervisor to his will. There are also the arms of
Erpingham, Felbrigge, Stafford, Clifton, Shelton, Stapleton, Spencer,
and Rede; and gul. two fesses or, in chief three bezants. Arg. on a
canton sab. a cross potent of the field, gul. a chevron between three
gambs or, and on the outside of the door, are the arms of Paston impaling Shelton; which show, that John Paston, Esq. and Margaret his
wife, made it. (See p. 330, 31.) In the west window are the arms of
England, and those of the Prince of Wales. At the upper end of the
north isle was formerly an altar of St. Barbara, which before 1459,
was enclosed in a neat chapel there, made by Ralf Skeet, from whom
it was afterwards called Skeet's chapel; and opposite was another chapel in the south isle, the altar of which was dedicated to the Virgin
Mary; and in the nave at the upper end, stood the great Rood, with
an altar of the holy cross, before which, Holy-rood gild was kept.
At the east end is a clock, and the effigies of Justice at top, and the
arms of England carved beneath; on the right hand is a picture of
Queen Anne, and opposite another of Prince George, both given
by St. George's company.
On the right hand also is the Earl of Orford at length, in his robes,
and this under him,
The Right Hon. Robert Earl of Orford, presented this
Portrait to the Constitution Club, 1743.
At his right hand is,
The Portraiture of the Right Honble. Horatio Walpole Esq.
Member of Parliament for this City, presented by himself A. D.
On the south side, opposite to the Earl of Orford, is a portraiture
in is robes, of
The Right Honble. John Lord Hobart, Lord Lieutenant of
this County, who presented it to the Corporation in 1743.
By him, in a black coat with a sword by his side, is
The Portraiture of Thomas Vere Esq. Member of Parliament
for this City, and Mayor Ao. 1735, presented by a Society of Gentlemen 1736.
In the north isle are the Weavers arms, and other companies, as
carpenters, bakers, &c. and two pictures of aldermen in their proper
Robert Marsh Esq. Mayor Ao. 1731, being Alderman of the
Grocer's Company; this Picture was by them presented Ao 1732.
Francis Arnam Esq. Mayor present, being Alderman of the
Grocer's Company; this Picture was by them presented Ao 1732.
In the south isle, beginning at the east end, are the following portraits, viz.
William Clarke Esq. Mayor Ao 1739, (in his proper habit,)
this was presented by a Society of Gentlemen Ao 1740.
Timothy Balderstone Esq. Mayor 1736, and Captain of the
Honble. Artillery Company, (in his regimentals,) by whom this
Picture was presented Ao 1736.
Benjamin Nuthall Esq. Mayor 1721, (in his proper habit,) this
Picture was presented by a Society of Gentlemen Ao 1738.
In Gratitude to William Wigget Esq. Mayor, the Citizens
presented this Portrait Ao 1743. (He is in his proper habit.)
Thomas Emerson Esq. who in the Year 1739, (See Pt. I. p.
449,) gave two Gold Chains to be wore by the Sheriffs of this City,
for a perpetual Memorial of which Generosity, this Picture was
presented by the Corporation of this City Ao Di. 1741.
Over the south door is the portrait, in his proper habit, of
Thomas Harwood Esq. Mayor in 1728, Treasurer of the Charity Schools in this City, the Trustees of which presented this Picture.
Which is placed between two tables containing the
BENEFACTIONS TO THE CHARITY-SCHOOLS.
|1708, Rev. Mr. Adamson by will||50||0||0|
|1710, Mr. Henry Crowe by will||10||0||0|
|1711, Mrs. Eliz. Blennerhasset of Castor next Yarmouth
in her lifetime,||20||0||0|
|Ditto by her will||100||0||0|
|1711, Mrs. Eliz. Cradock||10||0||0|
|1712, Mr. Dan. Ganning by will,||50||0||0|
|Mrs. Eliz. Preston by will||100||0||0|
|1713, Mr. Cooke||10||0||0|
|1714, Mr. William Harvey of the Close by will||30||0||0|
|1716, Mr. Tho. Hall of London by will||50||0||0|
|1717, Mr. Allison of London by will||300||0||0|
|1718, Mrs. Byar||50||0||0|
|1719, Mr. Rich. Cooke by will||100||0||0|
|1720, Mrs. Mary Turner of London by will,||100||0||0|
|1721, Mr. James Cooper by will,||100||0||0|
|Mrs. Susan Gardiner by will,||52||0||0|
|Mr. Alderman Riseborow||52||0||0|
|1722, Rev. Mr. John Richardson||10||0||0|
|Mrs. Susanna Cook by will,||100||0||0|
|1723, Mr. Tho. Long by will,||10||0||0|
|John Marcon Esq. by will,||50||0||0|
|Mr. Ben. Andrews by will,||50||0||0|
|Received of anonymous persons,||165||17||0|
|1724, Anonymous by Dr. Saltar,||10||10||0|
|1725, Mr. Rob. Walsh by will,||10||0||0|
|1726, Anonymous by Dr. Saltar||10||10||0|
|Justice Goodwin a legacy,||100||0||0|
|1728, Isaac Chambers by will,||100||0||0|
|John Wild by will,||25||0||0|
|Anonymous by Dr. Saltar||10||10||0|
|1729, Mrs. Eliz. Castell by will,||20||0||0|
|Capt. T. Palgrave Esq. by will,||100||0||0|
|Archdeacon Clark a gift,||50||0||0|
|1730, Charles Emerson by will,||10||0||0|
|1731, John Chappell Esq. by will,||50||0||0|
|1732, Mr. Henry Potter by will,||20||0||0|
|Thomas Clark Esq. by will,||50||0||0|
|Timothy Ganning by will,||20||0||0|
|Samuel Hammond by will,||50||0||0|
|Eliz. Pell by will,||100||0||0|
|1734, George Stebbing by will,||100||0||0|
|Rob. Bene Esq. by will,||50||0||0|
|1735, Rev. Mr. Heath of Lingwood||100||0||0|
|1736, Dr. Tanner late Bishop of St. Asaph, by will,||50||0||0|
|1737, Rev Archdeacon Clark gave more,||50||0||0|
|Eliz. Green by will,||10||0||0|
|1738, Mary Delatate by will,||100||0||0|
|Eliz. Blennerhasset gave more by will at the death
of her sister Mary Hill,||100||0||0|
|Mrs. Mary Hill by will,||100||0||0|
|The late Justice Tho. Newton by will,||50||0||0|
|1739, Robert Snell by will,||100||0||0|
|Roger Crow, Esq. by will,||40||0||0|
|1740, Susan Hammond.||20||0||0|
By means of which worthy benefactors, and by the exact state of
these schools being yearly published, and delivered to every subscriber,
this truly great charity hath been continued, and is still in such a condition, that on the 5th of April, 1744, it appeared that no less then 210
boys, and 150 girls, in all 360, were taught in the 12 charity schools,
appointed for that purpose; and all the children were new clothed, the
subscriptions and arrears amounting this year to 92l. 11s. 6d. the collections at the charity sermons during Lent, to 68l. 1s. 10d. the interest
money, rent, &c. to 104l. 5s. and a private gift, of 5l. the whole received, being 269l. 18s. 4d. and the whole of the salaries and expenses,
came to 266l. 19s. 10d.
Every one that subscribes 20s. a year, is a trustee of course; and the
trustees meet at the city library at 3 o'clock in the afternoon on the
first Thursday in every month, to dispatch all business relating to the
schools, which is done in such a publick manner, that every one concerned may see, and be evidently convinced, that this noble and useful charity is not converted to any other uses, but such as the generous
donors designed it for, than which nothing can be of more service
and greater advantage to any community.
The boys are taught to read and write, and the girls to read and sew;
the boys wear caps and bands, that they may be distinguished from
other children, by which means their behaviour is the better known.
(See Atlas of Norf. page 438.)
In St. Mary's chapel, at the upper end of the south isle, is St.
George and the dragon carved at large, with St. George's arms,
which is also in the south window there. It was done by order of
St. George's Company, in 1686, which usually held their feasts,
and had their meetings at the Stone here, which is now standing,
and is the tomb of Robert Barnard, Esq. as aforesaid. This company
or fraternity first began in 1385, being a society of brethren and sisters, in honour of the martyr St. George, who by voluntary subscription, found a chaplain celebrating service every day in the cathedral
for the welfare of the brethren and sisters of the gild, while alive, and
their souls when dead; (fn. 22) and thus they continued till 5 Henry V. 1416,
and then that Prince granted them a charter, the original of which
is in the Gild-hall, and is dated at Reding, by which they were incorporated by the name of "The Alderman, Masters, Brethren, and
Sister's, of the Fraternity and Gild of St. George in Norwich," (fn. 23)
with power to choose yearly one Alderman and two masters, and to
make all reasonable orders and constitutions for their own government,
to clothe themselves in one livery, and yearly to hold and make a
feast in any convenient place in the city, and to have a common seal, to
sue and be sued; and to maintain a chaplain to pray daily for the
health of the King, the Alderman, Masters, Brethren, and Sisters,
while alive, and their souls when dead, with license to purchase 10l.
per annum in mortmain. The prior, mayor, sheriff's and alderman of
the gild, to have power to expel or remove all members of the gild,
for any bad behaviour, &c.; (fn. 24) and afterwards ordinances were made for
the governance of it, by which there were to be yearly chosen one
alderman, 4 masters, and 24 for the assembly or common council.
In 1451, by mediation of Judge Yelverton, the disputes between
the gild and city were settled; by which it was agreed, that the mayor
for the time being should be yearly chosen the day after the gild, alderman of the gild for the year ensuing his discharge from his mayor
alty; the assembly of the gild was now to consist of 20 persons, and
the common council of the city may be of the company, but liable to
the charge of the feast.
Every brother to take the oath at their admittance. (fn. 25)
The aldermen and common council of the gild shall choose who
they list from henceforward, other men and women of the city, besides
the aldermen and common council, such as they think convenient and
able thereto, to be brethren and sisters of the said gild.
But no man dwelling out of the city was to be chosen for the future,
unless he was a knight 'squire, or some notable gentleman. Many
other orders were made in relation to their procession, which was
always very grand, and contributed much to the honour of the city. (fn. 26)
In 1468, was made an inventory of all the goods, jewells, &c.
belonging to St. George's gild.
First. In the cathedral church of the Blessed Trinity at Norwich,
among the Holy relicks, "is a precious relique, that is to sey, one
"Angell silver and guylt, berying the arme of Seynt George, ye
which was given to the seid fraternite by John Fastolf Knyght."
A chalice of silver gilt, weighing 10 ounces and an half, and a manuel
of ministration of the seven sacraments, with silver clasps, given by
Sir Simon Holle, priest of the gild, &c. A chesipele of green damask embroidered with gold, having the arms of St. George and Bishop
Spencer, another of red velvet, &c. A chest with divers charters of the
purchases of the tenements of the gild, the charter of King Henry V.
a seal of silver of the commonalty of the gild, graven with an image
of St. George, a charter of Henry VI. A great chest in the tenement
belonging to the gild at Tombland, in which two clothes painted with
St. George's martyrdom. A scarlet gown for the George, with blue
garters. A coat armour for the George beaten with silver, 4 banners
of the same work, with the arms of St. George, for the trumpets. A
banner with St. George's image, another with his arms; a chaplet for
the George, with an owche of copper gilt, and all horses furniture. A
dragon, a basnet, a pair of gantlets, two white gowns for the heynsmen or henchmen, a sword, the scabberd covered with velvet and
bossed. A black chesipele given by Lord Bardolph. A mass book worth
12 marks. Much pewter, &c. A corporas cloth of gold and silk,
given by William Malet, vicar of Hemenhall.
Sir Will. Mareys, priest, G. Spirleng, clerk of the gild.
This company increased so, as to be able to lend the city 100 or 150l.
when they wanted, and was of such reputation, as to have the following great persons members of it:
In Henry the Fifth and Sixth's time, Sir Brian Stapleton, Sir John
Fastolf, Sir Henry Inglosse, Sir John Clifton, Sir Thomas Erpingham,
Sir Thomas Morley, Sir Tho. Kerdeston, Sir Tho. Tudenham, Knts.
Sir Tho. Ryngman, Suffragan Bishop, (fn. 27) Sir Rob. Ryngman, Bishop of
Gathy, and Patriarch. Sir Tho. Browne, and Walter Lyhart Bishop
of Norwich. The noble Lord Will. de la Pool Earl of Suffolk. Sir
Will. Phelip Lord Bardolf, and Lady Joan his wife. Will. Paston,
the King's chief Justice. Judge Will. Yelverton. Sir John Hevenyngham, Knt. Edm. Winter. John Fitz-raffe. John Bacon. Tho.
Wetherby. Thomas Asteley. Will. Calthorp. Chris. Strange.
Will. Paston, and Will. Roos, Esqrs. Dr. John Kenninghall, Prior
of the Carmes, Dr. John Thorp, friar there, John Brakle, John rector
of Sparham, John Parham, rector of Burgh, John Duston, rector of
Spixworth, John Bron, rector of Possewyk, Nic. Coke, austin friar,
Robert rector of St. Julian, Ralf rector of Burnham, Dr. Tho. Sharyngton, Will. Bernham, bachelor in the decrees, and chancellor, John
Heydon, Edm. Wichingham, John Norwich, John Spendlove, John
Lovel, John Gray, Simon Felbrigge, Tho. Elys, Will. Thurston, Will.
Spelman, John Taseburgh, Thomas Cambridge, Tho. Bukenham, senior and junior, Simon Postle, Will, Norwich, senior, Ralf Pigot and
Philip Curson, Gentlemen, the Lady Joan Thorp, &c. the whole
number of brothers and sisters in 1450 being 264.
Ao. 1471, there were 217 members, among which the Bishop and
Prior of Norwich, John Selot Archdeacon of Sudbury, Simon Thornham, clerk. Will. Merrys, chaplain, and priest to the gild, Sir Will, Yelverton, Knt. Sir John Heveningham, Knt. John Jannys, Roger Briggs,
&c. Sir Miles Stapleton, Knt. Will. Rookwood, Esq. Sir John Flouredew, rector of Drayton.
1486, Edm. Southwell, elected chaplain for life, with a salary of 8
marks per annum.
1490, Will. Watirpitte, prior of the Carmes, and Will. Walsingham,
D. D. reader there.
1494, Tho. Shenkewyn, archdeacon of Sudbury, and official of Norwich consistory, and St. George's feast was this year held in the great
hall of the Bishop's palace. (fn. 28)
1495, Will. Foster, the gild's chaplain, went beyond sea without notice, and the mass of St. George ceased for three weeks, on which
Will. Levys was chosen chaplain.
1496, Sir John Paston, Knt. Philip Calthorp, Esq.
1502, Sir Rob. Prowet, chaplain of the gild.
1506, Sir John Underwood, suffragan, and Sir Rob. Catton, prior
1511, John Drye, A. M. chaplain of the gild.
1555, Thomas Duke of Norfolk, Mr. Serjeant Gawdy, recorder, Mr.
Serjeant Catlin, steward, John Corbet, Esq. Sir John Kempe, priest,
Bishop of Norwich, Henry Earl of Sussex, Sir Tho. Woodhouse, Sir
Will. Woodhouse, Sir John Godsalve, Knts. John Barney of Langley, Esq. Mr. Allen Percy, clerk, Mat. Parker, D. D. Thomas Tedman, D. D.
1556, Sir Edm. Windham, Knt. John Dyer, Esq. John Barret, D. D.
1564, Philip Earl of Surrey, Sir Tho. Cornwaleis, Sir Henry Jerningham, Sir Edward Warner, Sir Tho. Knevet, Sir Ric. Fulmerston,
Knts. John Bleverhasset, Robert Warner, Ralf Shelton, Roger Towneshend, Philip Appleyard, Nic. Minne, John Paston, Clement Paston,
Hen. Cornwaleis, Ric. Southwell, and Will. Bleverhasset, Esqrs. and
1565, The Lord Hunsdon, Sir Nic. le Strange, Knt. Mr. Underwood,
Archdeacon of Norwich, Edward Clere, James Hobard, Miles Hare,
Basingbourn Gawdy, Henry Doyly, Tho. Timperley, Tho. Heydon,
1566, The Lord Cobham, Will. Paston, Tho. Hogan, Drue Drury,
Will. Browne, Will. Dix, Henry Heveningham, Henry Woodhouse,
John Jerningham, John Davy, Francis Thursby, Thomas Knevet of
Ashwelthorp, Miles Corbet, and John Jermy, Esqrs.
In 1504, they bought the Lamb, which is now the city prison.
In 1519, they sold the George inn in St. Simon's parish, to Tho
Greenwood, which they had purchased before 1494.
In 1549, after the new erection, an inventory of the company's
goods was taken, in order to make sale of such, as since the alteration of the old ordinances, would be of no service; among which Mr.
Huntingdon had a manuel with silver clasps, and Mr. Austin Steward
had a gown of velvet pirled with gold, in recompense for a mace of
christal, silver and gilt, which he then gave to the use of the city. (fn. 29)
Alderman Rogers had the best banner. And among other things
sold, was a black velvet vestment, a jerkin of crimson velvet, a cap of
russet velvet, a coat armour of white damask with a red cross, a horse
harness of black velvet with copper buckles gilt, for the George, a
horse harness of crimson velvet with flowers of gold, for the Lady,
divers banners, books, and vestments.
In 1550, they granted all their temporals, (as the tenements and
grounds called the Lamb, the Stere, 2 acres in the fields without St.
Gile's-gates, and the customs of Fibrigge stathe, to the house of the
poor people, called God's-house, in Holme-street.
In 1553, the company made an order, to buy yearly as much
freese, as would make 13 gowns, to be given to 13 of the 40 poor people in God's-house, and each gown to have the conysance of the gild
on them (viz. a red cross.)
In 1556, a gown of crimson velvet pirled with gold, was bought for
In 1558, it was ordered, "that ther shall be neyther George nor
Margett, but for pastime the dragon to come in and shew himself as in other yeres."
In 1577, Dean Gardiner was one of the company by his free consent, and instead of his bearing part of the feast, made a present of a
salt of christal with silver gilt, of 20 ounces weight.
In 1612, every alderman was appointed to find two tapestry hangings for the feast makers of the gild, to hang the hall; and each of
the sheriffs and common council one; and Sir John Woodhouse, Knt.
in 1561, gave 20l. to buy hangings for that purpose.
In 1636, a carpet with six cushions, and benches, were made for
the Stone in the hall, where the company usually met.
In 1704, the company gave the mayor a new sword of state, (now
used, (fn. 30) ) and a scabberd of crimson velvet and gilt lockets, and a new
mourning scabberd of black velvet and gilt lockets; two new staffs to
be carried by the two marshal-men before the mayor, with two silver
heads thereon of the city arms, viz. the castle and lion on pedestals of
silver on each, and two new silver badges of the city arms, to be worn on
the marshal-men's breasts, on blue ribands before Mr. Mayor, when
they wait; they had also a new staff with a silver head of St. George
and the dragon, the arms of the said company, on a pedestal of silver,
to be carried by the company's beadle, before the alderman of the
company; and thus they continued till the general quarterly assembly, held Feb. 24, 1731, being St. Matthias's day, when the committee
appointed for that purpose, reported, that they had treated with St.
George's company, which agreed to deliver up their charters, books,
and records, into the hands of the city, provided the city would pay
their debts, which appeared to amount to 236l. 15s. 1d. which they
promised to do; upon which, the charter was delivered, with the
books, papers, and records of the said gild, fraternity, or company, to
the corporation of the city, and are now reposited with the records of
the city in the gild-hall. Their effects were put under the care of the
city committee, who had power to appoint a person with a salary, to be
keeper of them, and to lend any part thereof, to the mayor and sheriffs,
or the judges, or the companies of the shoemakers, barbers, tailors, &c. at
their annual feasts; which committee were empowered to order the procession on the day of swearing the mayor; and of clothing in blue
coats, shoes, and stockings, the two beadlemen, bellman, and charcoalman; and of paying the trumpeters, wiflers, the ringers at St. Peter's
and St. Andrew's, the standard-bearer, and all that shall be employed
about the procession.
And thus was this ancient company disused, or laid aside, and their
goods surrendered to the city committee, as they now remain; the intory of which here follows.
|One large silver headed staff with the effigies of St. George
on horseback, trampling the dragon under his feet||5||5||0|
|One new dragon commonly called the snap-dragon||3||3||0|
|Two standards, &c. one of St. George and the dragon, and
the other the English colours,||1||1||0|
|Four sashes for the standard bearers||0||10||6|
|Two habits for the standard bearers||2||2||0|
|Five habits for the wiflers||2||12||6|
|Two habits, one for the club-bearer, another for his man,
who are now called fools||0||10||6|
|Eight large fine damask board cloaths, 10 doz. damask
napkins. One large coarse cloth, and 12 coarse wipers||20||0||0|
|Five yards of green broad cloth for the Stone||1||0||0|
|53 yards of green baize to cover the tables||4||10||0|
|26 long tables||6||10||0|
|21 long forms||3||3||0|
|81 trussels and stools||4||1||0|
|16 stands for tarts||1||0||0|
|One broad high stool||0||2||6|
|Three chests for wine and shelves in that room, dressers and
shelves very comodious and convenient in the pewter
room, laundry, bake-house, kitchen, and other out-rooms
|20 deals to cover the stoves in the kitchen||0||10||0|
|12 stoves, fenders, bars, back and wings,||7||10||0|
|14 iron bars||0||5||0|
|6 iron trivets, 6 irons to lay the spits on||1||7||6|
|28 long spits||8||8||0|
|8 large iron racks||4||0||0|
|5 iron latchpans||1||0||0|
|2 fire shovels, 1 fire fork, 1 pair tongs||0||11||0|
|1 coal rake, 1 large gridiron||0||11||6|
|Two new iron oven lids, and 4 ovens and chimneys||26||0||0|
|Two iron peels, 2 iron cromes, two wooden oven lids||0||14||0|
|One stone cistern, 1 leaden cistern||4||0||0|
|One leaden pipe and brass cock||1||1||0|
|One double copper boiler with 2 copper lids||4||0||0|
|Two large coppers as they stand||5||0||0|
|One large fish bottom||0||10||0|
|Two large basting spoons||0||4||0|
|Two large caldrons||2||10||0|
|2 toss-pans, 2 stew-pans, 5 sauce-pans||2||8||6|
|One copper pasty bottom||0||10||0|
|30 twelve pound dishes 6 score to the hundred, at 7d.||10||10||0|
|54 ten pound dishes, ditto||15||15||0|
|50 seven pound dishes ditto||10||4||2|
|23 five pound dishes ditto||3||8||3|
|10 three pound dishes ditto||0||17||6|
|20 one pound dishes ditto||0||17||6|
|24 dozen plates at 12s. a doz.||14||8||0|
|33 pye bottoms||7||6||8|
|AH the pins round the hall for hats, &c.||1||1||0|
(97) The bridge commonly called the
Black Friar's Bridge,
was formerly called New-Brigge, and was built about Henry the
Fifth's time, of timber, rebuilt in Edward the Fourth's time, and in
1586, was made of stone, towards which, Alderman Edward Wood
gave 20 marks.
(98) St. Simon and Jude's Church
Is as ancient as any in the city, and was the Bishop's own church
before the see was settled here, for this being a place of great note
before that time, the Bishops had a house, which stood against the
street, since called the Cook-row, leading down to Fibrigge, on the
east side of it, the principal entrance being where the Maid's-head
tavern now is; in Edward the Confessor's time, (see Pt. I. p. 13,) Bishop Ailmer held it, with the house, half an acre of land, and three
parts of a mill; and after him, Bishop Arfast; and in the Conqueror's time William Bishop of Thetford, who at the extent, claimed
it to be of the patrimony of Bishop Ailmar, by which it seems, as if he
designed to get it for his own inheritance; but it did not succeed, for
though the whole, except the advowson, was aliened at that time,
this always attended the see, and continues with it even at this day:
and to make the preferment good, about the year 1200, the deanery
of the city of Norwich, and that of Taverham, with the churches of St.
Swithin in Norwich, (see p. 255,) ad Crostweyt by Norwich, were annexed; so that the rectors here may be seen at p. 63, down to the
year 1329, when the deaneries and rectories were separated at the death
of Tho. Silvestre, then dean.
OF THE UNITED RECTORIES OF ST. SIMON AND JUDE, ST. SWITHIN,
AND CKOSTWEYT BY NORWICH, ALL WHICH WERE COLLATED BY
THE BISHOPS OF THE SEE.
1329, John de Swathfield, alias de Yarmouth.
1331, Rob. de Tilney.
1340, Adam de Est Barkeworth.
1341, Rob. de Haynton, who changed it in 1344, with Thomas Colyn for Derly in Lincolnshire.
1349, Walter de Banham, ob.
1354, Rob. James of Wissingset, who in 1364, changed for Aldham
in London diocese with Tho. Chaloner.
1365, Rob. Cole, who in 1366, changed for Thornham with Tho. de
1369, Tho. Profete, who in 1371, changed for Crondle in Canterbury diocese, with Tho. de Coventry, and he in 1386, changed with
John son of Rob. Thornham for Timworth, who in 1393, changed this
for Sparham, with Tho. de Wortham.
1405, John Calthorp.
1449, John Howlot, he is buried at the entrance of the chancel,
the brass is loose and is thus inscribed,
Orate pro anima Domini Johannis Howlot nuper Rcctoris istius
Ccclesie qui obiit vi die Mensis Junii Ao Dni. Moccccolriio
1462, John Borrel, resigned.
1462, John Bullock ob.
1565, Walter Goose.
1474, Will. Welysed, who changed Stradbrook for this in 1476, with
1492, another Walter Goose was collated.
1497, Rich. Corby.
1501, John Underwood, suffragan Bishop, and Prior of Bromholm;
he resigned in 1507, to Hugh Kestryn.
1510, John Thixstall, at whose death this was disunited, and presented to single.
Rectors of St. Simon and Jude.
1546, Walter Ponington, buried here in 1559; he is called Bennington in the Office Register, but Ponington in the Parish Register.
1559, Nic. Smethe, resigned.
1569, William Blomefield.
1570, Ric. Woods.
1579, German Gardiner, resigned.
1582, Tho. Twaites, resigned.
1604, John Ward, resigned.
1615, Martin Stebbyn.
1633, Samuel Cullyer, resigned.
1640, Charles Davell, resigned.
1645, John Luce.
1662, John Harwood, curate. Mr Hughes, who held it by seques
tration as Mr. Harwood did. Joseph Alanson was collated by the
Bishop, and held it many years united to Fretenham.
1736, May 1, the Rev. Mr. John Burcham, the present  rector,
holds it united to Earsham, and is also curate of Cosseye.
This rectory was anciently valued at 40s. taxed at 20s. and paid 6d.
synodals; and being the Bishop's own church, was exempt from all
archidiaconal jurisdiction; it was valued in the King's Books at 3l.
9s. 10d. ob. pays no first fruits nor tenths, and is augmented with 200l.
of the Queen's bounty, but no purchase yet made; the whole besides the bounty is arbitrary contribution, and amounts to about 15l.
(99) There was anciently a chapel of st. Simon and Jude
standing in this parish on the east side of the Cook-row, it adjoined
to the north part of the site of the Bishop's house, and was originally
founded as a private oratory or chapel to it; in 1314, it was in use,
and then belonged to St. Giles's hospital, at the expense of which
house, it was covered with reed, but it seems to have been disused
about the year 1400, for then it was called the Hospital's house there.
The religious concerned in this parish were, the Priors of St. Faith,
whose temporals were taxed at 20s. those belonging to Hickling at 3s.
6d. The Prioress of the nuns at Blakebergh, had half a mark rent
from a house, settled on them by John de Lodne. The hospital of St.
Giles had divers houses and rents given them by Ric. de Norwich, and
some by Will. de Dunwich in 1272. The Prioress of Bungey had a
house, and the Abbot of Sibton another. The Dean of the chapel in
the Fields had rents of about 8d. value, and the Prior of Norwich had
houses, &c. taxed at 17s. 3d. given them by Sir Will. de Garnar or
de Granarijs, Knt. Ric. le Specer gave a house to the abbot and canons of St. Mary at Creyk, and William, abbot there, assigned it to
Gilbert de Harpele, clerk, who jointly with Will. Page of Stratton,
sold it to the Prior of Norwich.
St. George's gild had a tenement here, which they sometimes used
as a gild-hall, and they had also, the customs at
(100) Fyve-brigge Stathe, and were obliged to find a coke-stool
there; (fn. 31) and after this stathe came into the hands of the city and hospital, Miles Hobart, Esq. of Plumstede, contributed much towards
making a new key there; and in 1662, the butchers stalls there were
disallowed by the court, and the whole row of them pulled down.
The Maid's-head was anciently the Molde-fish, or Murtil-fish tavern,
and was tied to find a lamp and wax taper to burn in the church.
This church hath a square tower and six bells, on the first of which
Uirginis egregie voror Campana Marie.
And the nave and chancel are both leaded.
Persons buried here for whom I find no memorials in the church,
1336, John Pyrmund, bailiff of the city. 1404, Godfry de Stanhowe,
chaplain. 1443, Will. Selby, chaplain, by his father's and mother's
window. 1446, on condition the parishioner's rebuilt their steeple
(as they did) there were twenty marks given towards new roofing the
chancel, which was done also. 1449, William Grey, alderman, was
buried under an arch on the north side of the church, before St Mary's
altar, and gave 5l. towards new leading the church, and a silver cup,
and two cruets to the altar; and in 1459, Alice his relict was buried
by his tomb, and gave a silver censer, and a legacy to repair the beds
in Ivy hospital. 1466, John Estgate, in the church. 1471, Henry
Gardiner, chaplain, was also buried in the church, and gave a silver
cup and vestment. 1531, there was an image of St. Anne, with a
light burning before it, and the image of our Lady in the alley in the
On the screens at the altar are paintings of the Assumption of the
Virgin Mary, the Passion of our Saviour, divers Evangelists, &c. and
over the vestry door is carved St. Simon as a fisherman, rowing in a
boat with fishes, &c.
In the east chancel window, are two shields, 1st, az. a chevron or.
2d, quarterly or and az. a cross gul. In a south window, arg. on a
cross ingrailed between four escalops sab. five bezants. On a north
window, 1st, Cecil quartering Castle, 2d, Bacon and Quaplode quartered, with a crescent for difference.
On brasses in the chancel.
Here lyeth the Bodye of Margaret the Wife of Richard de Balls
who deceased the nynth Day of Februarye in Anno Dni. 1600.
Orate pro anima Ricardi Litester Capelani qui obiit Ao. Dni.
Mo Vciv ultimo die Mensis Januarii cuius anime propicietur Deus.
Certâ resurgendi spe, hic situsest Johannes Walters A. M. filius
Danielis Walters Generosi, et Janæ Uxoris ejus, qui dum inter homines ageret vitam, tàm inventute per multum tempus optimis artibus in Academiâ Cantibrigiensi innutritus, quàm Maturioris
existens Ætatis in Lincolnes Inn, totos octo Annos in illo Forensi
dicendi Genere moratus, litteris præsignis, Ærumnosæ Matris Solamen, Patris pergrata voluptas, Comis Amicis Amicus, omnibusque
amantissimus fuit, et Demum Morbo confectus (suis publicis privatisque precibus finitis) hæc ultima verba dixit, et subito ad superos
Lord, blesse, preserve, and keep me this Night and evermore.
Hœc dixit, et obijt 22° die Octobris Ao. D. 1619, annoque ejus
Ætatis 3°. Fratres et sorores ejus adhuc superstites sunt Daniel,
Thomas, Martinus, Jana, Elizabetha & Maria.
On a loose brass,
For John Cok Citezen and Alderman of Norwich Goldsmith,
And Anneys his Wiff of yower Charite,
Saithe a Pater noster, and an Ave.
In the church, beginning at the west end:
Curtis, with a crescent for difference. (See p. 203)
Hic jacet corpus Augustini Curteis Gent. qui obijt 29° Nov.
Here lyth Thomas Warner Mercer and his Wyvys tweyn,
God have Mercy on ther Sowlys and all Cresteyn.
Pray for the Sowle of Alerander Mather, Cetezen and Alder-
man of Norwich, who departed from this present Lyfe the riith
Day of September Ao. 1558, on whose Sowle Jesus have Merry
Orate pro anima Hichi. Lathe Parchemyner, qui obiit xviiio die
Junii Ao. Dni. MoccccciioUroris eius quorum anima-
bus propicietur Deus Amen.
Anna Whalle Uxor Thomæ Whalle Gen. Filia Radolphi Ward
Gen. et Elisabet Uxoris ejus, spei integerrime Generosa, quæ
Postquam per annum unum, Mensesque 4, cum marito vixerit,
mortem obijt Jan. 3, 1624, Ao Ætatis suæ 19. Nec tamen tam
virtuti, quam vitæ tuæ Mors antevenit.
An old brass plate on the same stone, hath this,
Hic iacet Ricardus Lawrence filius Laurentii Berbrewer, alias
Wyllyamson qui obiit vo die Mensis Sept. A Dni. Moccccco cuius
anime propricietur deus.
Pray for the Soule of Thomas Palmer the wich departed the
vi Day of Maye Ao Dni. Mo vo. xlvijo on whose Soule Jesu have
Here lieth Thomas Mhall, late Alderman and Justice of Peace
of this Cittye, who died the thirde Daye of Decem. in the lxi Yere
of his Age in the Yere of our Lord God 1575.
The grocers arms are impaled with his mark.
On the same stone,
Here also lieth the Body of Margaret the Wife of Mathew
Peckover, Shiriffe of this Cittie Ao. D. 1615, ob. 20 March 1616.
In the chancel are the following memorials:
Crest, on a torce a leveret. Arms, three leverets in pale,
Reeve, gul. a chevron varry between three roses arg.
Crest, an eagle's head erased, collared.
Urith, Wife of John Leverington, Dr. of Mr. Tho. Reeve D. D.
March 26, 1660.
The Night is come for sleepe, loe here I stay,
My 3 sweet Babes sleepe here, we wait for Day,
That we may rise, and up to blisse ascend
Where Crownes and Thrones and Robes shall us attend;
Thy worst is past O Death, thou'st done thy Parte,
Thou could'st but kill, we fear no second Darte.
Saunders, per chevron ar. and sab. three elephants heads erased, counterchanged, impaling,
Mannock, sab. a cross florée arg. Saunders's crest is an elephant proper.
Anne Saunders, Daughter of Fran. Mannock Bart. Wife of
Valentine Saunders Esq. 12 June 1662.
Warkehouse, sab. three covered cups arg. impaling
Andrews, arg. on a bend ingrailed cotized sab. three mullets or.
Warkehouse's crest, a boar's head erased.
SAMUEL WARKEHOUSE Esq. some Time MAIOR of
this City, afterwards CAPTAINE under his Grace Henry
Duke of Norff. and sometime after, MAJOR under Charles
Vicount Lord Tovnsend; he married HANNAH one of the
Drs. of JOHN ANDREWS, sometime Alderman of this City,
by whom he left 4 Children, Anne, Samuel, John, and Thomas, 20 Apr. 1702, æt. 54. HANNAH his Wife died 18 Febr.
1716, æt. 65. Mary Dr. of Sam. Warkehouse Sheriff, died June
30, 1684. Eliz. Dr. of Alderman Sam. Warkehouse, 1686, and
John his Son the same Year, æt. 7. Mary his Dr. 1687.
Edm. Harvy 1681. Mary Leverington 1657, Mary wife of
Denold Denham, 1726, 39. Eliz. and Mary their Children.
Below the altar rails are stones for,
Stephen Leverington 1650, Seele son of Seele and Martha Maxey,
1739, 21. John Watson 1703, 75. William Smith and Lidia his
wife, Dr. of John Watson, 1714, 66, she died 1701, 51. John son of
Thomas and Susan Ayde 1690, Susan their Dr. 1692. Peter son of
John Wigget 1681. Martha widow of Roger Gooch 1659, under
rector Howlet's stone. Seele son of Mr. John Maxey of Lyn Regis
1719, 33. Martha his Wife 1736, 51.
Crest, a pegasus volant. Nebulé a chief quartered on the 1st
and 4th two roses on the 2d and 3d a lion passant. Alderman
Peter Wiget died July 22, 1677, Susan his Dr. wife of Tho. Ayde,
11 Jan. 1702. Supporters two pegasuses.
There is a mural monument over the south door, for Frances Wife
of Augustine Hankinson, daughter of John Curtis, who died 27 Oct.
Roberts, or, a lion rampant gul. impales Warkehouse.
Anne wife of John Roberts of Lincolns-Inn Esq. only Dr. of
Sam. Warkehouse Esq. late Mayor, died Aug. 12, 1738, æt. 57.
Crest of Pettus, viz. out of a ducal crown, a demi-lion or,
holding a spear gul. headed arg. tasselled or and gul.
Pettus, gul. a fess between three annulets or, impaling
Gleane, erm. on a chief sab. three lions rampant arg. Crest,
on a crown, a dog passant.
Reader, behold where Time is put in Trust,
To keepe 'till Day of Doome, the sacred Dust
Of this Blest Wife, who truly did possesse,
More Vertue, than the most do now professe,
Shee liv'd to Conscience, not to Showe, and dy'd
Once, to live ever truly sanctify'd.
Mary wife of William Pettus Gent. Dr. of Sir Peter Gleane
Knt. and Dame Maud his Wife, died 27 July, 1631.
In the church beginning at the west end, there are stones for, Eliz.
wife of John Mazey, 1709, 40, Will. Mazey 1695. Mary wife of
Tho. Pinder 1681. Tho. Grome 1641. Anne his wife 1677. John
Davy 1676, Eliz. his wife 1695, Mary Pepys his sister 1705. Henry
Davy Esq. 1728, 54. Sam. Faulke 1696, 24. John Cobb Gent. 1678.
Edw. his brother 1676, 20. Mary wife of Simeon Waller 23 May
1732, æt. 49. John their son Nov. 3, 1726, aged 36 weeks. Tho.
Allen 1673, Anne his wife 1654. Rebecca Davy 1650. Dorothy
wife of George Kempe 1646. Mary Vesey. John and Jane Allen
1641. Jane wife of Rob. Allen 1645. Catherine wife of the said
Robert, 1689. Francis Clopton 1679.
Davy, with a label of three for difference. Henry son of John
Davy merchant, 1669.
Hannah wife of Henry Stebbing 1703, 23, Martha their Dr.
To the Memory of William Tracey Cutler, the last of the Family of Tracey in Norwich, haveing lived between 30 and 40 years
in this Parish, did by his last Will, give one Acre and an half of
Land [in Little Hautbois] for ever, to the Uses following, that is,
five Shillings to the Minister yearly, for preaching a Memorandum Sermon once a Year, on the Sunday before the Guild, and
at the same Time 1s. 6d. to the Clarke, as it doth in his Will more
at large appear.
At the east end of the nave, where the altar of St. Mary formerly
stood, is a monument, having the arms and crest of Pettus on the
top. There is an effigies of Sir Augustine, and under him his two sons
on their knees, and four daughters. And on the other side of a faldstool, which is placed between them, is that of Abigail his 2d lady,
who was daughter of Sir Arthur Heveningham of Ketringham; on the
top of the altar part lies Sir John in complete armour, leaning his head
on one hand, and holding a book in his other; there is said to be an
inscription on the tomb, covered, and this is open, viz.
Charissimi Patris, et dilectissimi Fratris, Johannis et Augustini Pettus Militum, Mœstissimus Filius et Frater, Thomas
Pettus Armig. Pietatis et Amoris ergò posuit.
Et Pater, et Natus, Tumulo conduntur in isto,
Militiâ, Virtute, Fide et Pietate, notandi;
Filius ante Patrem immaturâ morte peremptus,
Conjuge tàm binâ, vixit quam Prole beatus,
Quam precor Hæredem Patriæ & Virtutis avitæ,
Hac Pater urbe Locum tenuit cum Laude supremum,
Cujus Cura Dei Res sacras protegit, ornat.
Templa, Sacerdotes, Largito Munere in Ævum,
Corpora nuda tegit Inopum, Fame Languida nutrit,
Pressa Siti reficit, redimito è Carcere capla,
Hæc Deus aspiciens, hunc dignum judicat astris,
Eximit Ærumnis, dat factis præmia cœlos.
Sir AUGUSTINE was buried July 9, 1613.
On the opposite monument, are the effigies of Sir Thomas Pettus
in his mayor's habit, and Christian his wife, who was daughter of
Simon Dethick of Wrongey; behind him are four sons, and behind her
are three daughters, all kneeling. Pettus quarters 1st Dethick, arg.
a fess varry or and gul. between three water budgets sab. and 2d, gul.
a chevron between three escalops or:
Siste Gradum, Quisquis Monumentum hoc aspicis, atque
Hæc lege, Parva mora est, nec sine Fruge Labor;
Conditur hic, celebris Civis, celeberrimus urbis
NORWICI Civis, grande simulque decus;
Nomen ei sacro Baptismi Fonte dabatur
THOMAS, cognomen cum Patre, PETTUS erat
Inter et ille notos, hoc nomine clarus,
Inter et ignotos, nomine clarus erat;
Namque suos inter, Gradibus perfunctus Honorum
Omnibus, ad summum Præmia summa tulit.
Percrebuit famâ totius Gentis, et inter
Urbes Anglorum, PETTUS ubique suâ;
Nomen ubique bonum, PETTUS fuit, atque decorum,
Tum Fidei plenum, tum Probitatis erat;
Singula quid memorem (Resque rarissima) Mundo
Et vixit Foelix, charus et ille DEO,
Divitijs Mundo Foelix, pietate Supremo,
Charus, et ille DEO vixerat, et moritur;
Cumque DEO vivit, post mortem clarior ille,
Quam fuit in terris, nunc simul Arce Poli:
Candide discedas nunc Lector, Doctus ab illo:
Quò vivas Foelix, et moriare modò.
Credo quod Redemptor meus vivit, & in novissimo die de Terrâ
Surrecturus sum, & in Carne meâ videbo Deum Salvatorem meum:
Reposita est hæc spes in sinu meo.
Johannes Pettus, Filius et Heres Thomæ Pettus Patris
sui Charissimi hoc Monumentum erexit, Qui Thomas obijt Septimo Die Januarij 1597, Ao Æt. sue 78, Cujus Spiritus in Coelis,
Carnis re-assumptionem expectat.
On the flat stone over him,
Religio Fructu florens, Foelicibus acta
Prætura auspicijs, specimen moderaminis æqui,
Mors hilaris, Christi in Meritis Fiducia sola,
Hæc Thomam Pettum ornârunt, nunc hic Lapis ornat,
Quod terræ superest, cælum mens incolit, urbe
Laus, vivas ô sic, sic ut moriare, viator.
There is a stone over Sir John Pettus, who died in 1614, but the
brass is above half covered with a seat.
1609, Sir John Pettus, Knt. (fn. 32) settled a tenement in this parish,
copyhold of the manor of Tolthorp cum Felthorpe, on six feoffees, to
be chosen by the parishioners, and when four of them be dead, within
one month, six other new ones to be chosen; the profits to go to the
discharge and payment of all manner of out charges and payments,
going out of the said parish of St. Simon and Jude, and repairs of the
church there. (fn. 33)
This family were owners, for many years, of the house joining to the
west side of the churchyard, and were principal merchants of this city,
and Sir John Pettus aforesaid was the first knight of the family, whose
grandson, Sir Tho. Pettus of Rackhithe, was created baronet Sept.
There is a parish stock of 28l. lent out to tradesmen free of interest;
but I find no account by whom any part of it was given.
(101) St. George at Tombland
Was anciently called St. George at the Monastery Gates, and was a
rectory given to the college of St. Mary in the Fields in Norwich,
as may be seen under the account of it; and the following
were presented by the Deans and Canons of the College.
1290, Rob. de Druiton.
1324, Rob. atte Herne of Draiton.
1326, Richard Kempe.
1333, Walter de Dichingham
1339, John de Buningham, who in 1344, changed for the precentorship in the college with
Rob. Redgrave, who was the last rector here, for in
1350, William Bishop of Norwich, by license of Edward III. and
the Duke of Lancaster, lord of the fee, appropriated it to the college,
on condition they served it by a vicar, or parish chaplain, who should
have a sufficient stipend, and his dwelling in the college. (fn. 34)
From which time it hath been served by parish chaplains to
1390, Sir Peter de Welbourne, chaplain, buried here.
1390, Tho. de Ipre.
1456, Sir Will. Balle, buried in the yard by the south door.
1492, Sir Jeffery Newman.
1558, Ric. Skippe, Tho. Melles.
1604, Will. Fugill.
1627, Rob. Fugill
1633, Will. Bridge, who had a Friday lecture here, and was paid for
it by the court.
1685, Francis Morley, minister, died April 5, aged 48, and is buried
"Trusting in God, better than trusting in the best of Men, or the
greatest of Princes, a Sermon preached in Norwich cathedral March
12, 1701, being the Sunday next except one, after the death of King
William III. by John Graile, rector of Blickling, some time minister
of St. George on Tombland, printed by Francis Burges in Norwich, qo.
1702, Psalm cxviii. ver. 8, 9." He published also, "Sacra privata in
Duas Partes distributa, Authore Johanne Graile," A. M. and
This rectory was valued at 5 marks, taxed at 20s. and paid 4d.
synodals; and the advowson of the vicarage and appropriate rectory,
with the nomination of the parish chaplain, came to the Crown at the
Dissolution of the college, and there continued till 18 Elizabeth, when
that Queen granted them to Roger Manners, Esq. to be held of the
manor of East-Greenwich, in free soccage, but the exchange going
forward between him and the Queen being not perfected, he surrendered his grant; and June 27, the Queen, in the 42d year of her reign,
granted the rectory, church, &c. to the Bishop of Ely, and his successours, and the nomination to it belongs to that see at this time.
The Rev. Dr. John Clark, dean of Sarum, is the present 
The arbitrary contributions, &c. are said to amount to about 50l.
per annum, as they were in Dr. Prideaux's time.
This church hath a square tower, which was built by the parish
in 1445, to which divers legacies were then given; it hath five bells
and a Saint's bell; the nave, two isles, two porches, chancel and vestry,
are all leaded.
I find the following persons were buried here:
1375, John Marioun, rector of Skeyton. 1447, Master John Excester, he gave 40l. to buy lead to cover the church, and a cup of 5
marks, and two silver phials. 1461, William Brampston. 1482, Tho.
Storme, notary publick and proctor, was buried in the north isle, before the image of the Trinity, and gave as many two-feet marbles as
would pave the ground by the altar of our Lady, (fn. 35) and from thence to
the grave, and also an antiphoner of 13 marks, &c. 1491, Agnes
Petyte, widow, she gave wax lights to burn before our Lady of Pity,
St. George, St. Margaret, St. Erasmus, St. Catherine, and at the altar
of St. Catherine in the south isle. 1500. Rob. Harneys, by the south
porch. 1504, Jone Best, widow, by Roger Best her husband. 1518.
Will. Beisby, gave towards the new church roof 5l. to be kept in the
vestry among the jewels, till the parishioners be able to set up the roof,
and 6l. for a vestment. In 1543, the organs were brought from the
Dutch Church, and set up here. About 1565, the inhabitants of
Raton-rowe were united to this parish, which formerly belonged to
St. Mary in the Marsh. 1480, Tho. Sheef, marbler, for whom Weever,
fo. 82, tells us, there was this inscription,
Her arr buryed under this Ston
Thomas Sheff, t his Wyff Marion,
Somtym we warr, as ye now be,
And as we arr, so be schall yee;
Wherfore of your Charite.
Prey for us to the Trinite.
obiit (Marion) M.ccc.lrrriiio.
Francis Aylmer, Gent. Oct. 10, 1686, 58.
Aylmer, arg. on a cross ingrailed between four martlets sab. five
plates, impaling or, frette az.
In the chancel,
Hic jacet Susanna Houghton una filiarum Roberti Houghton
Servientis ad Legem, et Marie Uxoris ejus, quæ nata fuit 29° die
Junij Ao Dni. 1594, ac obijt 17 die Maij A° Dni. 1604, A°. Æt.
Charles son of Robert Barkham Gent. and Eliz. his wife, died
on Trinity Sunday 1669. Eliz. wife of Mr. Robert Barkham
Mr. William Russell 1730, 60. Edm. Harvey Gent. 1683.
Forth, gul. two bends varry arg. and sab. on a canton or a demi-greyhound current of the 3d. Crest, an eagle's head erased.
Sarah Forth 1696, 42.
Forth as before impales Lane, per pale gul. and az. three
Eliz. Lane widow, 1705, 77.
Norris with a mullet impales Edgar, per chevron or and az.
in chief two de-lises gul. five fusiles in fess of the first, each charged
with an escalop of the third.
Crest an eagle rising proper.
Marmore sub isto recubant Antonius Norris Generosus, et
Antonius ejus Filius, non nisi generali Resurrectione excitandi,
Qui animas Deo reddiderunt, primus xio die Mensis Aprilis Ao
salutis 1688, æt. suæ 53. Et alter die Mensis Aug. xxiio A. D.
1709, à suis Cunis 34.
On a black marble in the vestry,
Park impales a chevron between three crescents, it was laid over
Isaac Parke senior, April 28, 1732, 79.
On marbles in the altar rails:
This stone was bought and layd at the charge of John Atwood
of this Parish; John Andrewes the Son of John Andrewes of Yarmouth, and Susan his Wif, Daughter to John Atwood, was buried
here Nov. 4, 1673.
Katherine the Infant Daughter of Rob. Barkham Esq. and
Eliz. his Wife 16 - - 67.
Gleane impales, on a bend ingrailed, three roses. Leonard
Gleane Gent. 1683. Eliz. his wife 1701. Frances their Daughter widow of the Rev. Owen Hughes, A. M. and LL. B. late
Chancellor of Bangor, died 7 Febr. 1741, aged 61. Christopher
son of John Jay Esq. 1669. Leonard Gleane LL. B. son of Leonard Gleane Gent. and Eliz. his Wife, 1720, 37. Charles Pouwells
26 Feb. 1615, 64.
In the nave. Edmundus Noake Gen. nuper Curiæ Consistoralis
Norwici, Procuratorum unus. 1680, 39.
Henry Brice 1698. Mary his wife 1699. Mary daughter of
Tho. Reyner 1684. Margaret Dr. of Walter Reyner 1686. Sarah Dr. of Henry and Sarah Shardelowe 1689. Constance
Knite 1641. Nat. Michels 1698. Nat. Michels 1681. Goditha and Elisha Skelton 1692. Susanna Wife of John Collinges
Merchant, and John Collinges, 1729, Mary Snowden 1690.
Tho. Snowden 1693. Nat. son of Isaac and Susanna Collinges
Here 'till in Heaven their Souls and Bodies meete,
Sherif Lucian Lawes, (fn. 36) his Wife lies at his Feete,
By Name Elizabeth, Reader then pray,
Thou there mai'st meete them at the latter Day.
Sarah Croshold 1672, Her Body lais in her Grandfather's Dust,
Her Soule is in Heaven with the Just.
Oritur. Moritur. - - - - - ob. 7 Feb. 1741. Thomas
Lawes Filius unicus posuit Hoc.
Crest, a pelican rising from a crown, vulning herself.
Arms, a chevron erm. between three pelicans rising, vulning
Frost, arg a fess gul. between three trefoils az.
Letitia Wife of Edmund Frost of Hunston-hall in Suffolk Gent.
1700, 58. Edm. Frost 1700, 68. Judith their Daughter wife of
Mr. Daniel Meadows of Norwich, June 24, 1719, 41, and Philip
and Thomas 2 of their children.
In the south isle,
Will. Hill 1710, 47. Hercules Foster 1689. Jane wife of
Rob. Mihill Grocer, and Jane their Dr. 1674. Mary daughter
of Rob. Barkham of Southacre Gent. and Eliz. his wife, daughter
of Charles Cornwaleis of Broom-hall in Suffolk Esq. June 30,
Aylmer, arg. on a cross ingrailed sab. between four cornish
choughs proper, five bezants, impaling fretté.
Francis Aylmer Gent. 1686, 58, Philip his son 1727, 72.
Eliz. wife of Abraham Yestis 1718, Elizabeth a 2d Wife, 1723,
and several children by them. 3 coats viz. 1st, sab. a cross between 4 crescents arg. 2d Yestis az. a bend erm. cotized or between 3 falcons rising of the 2d. 3d, gul. four bars, and in chief three
In the north isle,
Jane wife of Robert Burgess 1613. Robert Burgess 1718.
Thomas Groome 1708. John Lynnyck Gent. 1667, 58. Nevill
and Thomas Witherley, twins, sons of Edw. and Dorothy Witherley 1655. Thomas Beecroft 1710, 45. Samuel Stearling Gent.
1689. Robert Beecroft carrier 1662, 50.
At the east end is a mural monument, having at the top the crest
and arms of Anguish, viz. a snake wreathed proper; arms, gul. a cin
quefoil pierced or. On the north side is the effigies of a man in his
mayor's habit, kneeling at a faldstool, and nine sons by him, two in
swadling clothes, laid on two sculls for pillows, and two more holding
sculls, to denote they died before him; over his head is a shield of the
arms of Anguish, and over that, this motto, terrestria sperno.
Opposite to him is his wife and three daughters by her, each holding
a scull; over her is a shield of Thurston's arms, and this motto,
cæestia sequar, and the mercers arms are below, to show he was
of that business; on the faldstool are placed two books, under them is
Here under lieth the Body of Thomas Anguishe late Citizen
and Alderman of Norwich, and sometymes Maioer of this Citie,
who deceased the 26 of Januarie Ao. Dni. 1617, Ætatis suæ 79,
who had to Wife Elizabeth the Dr. of Edmund Thurstone, and
had Yssue by her, 9 Sonnes and 3 Drs. whereof at their Death,
there were livinge five Sonnes onelie.
William Anguish Gent. died the 6 Day of July 1668, to whose
Memorie, John Anguish Esq. his Nephew and Executor dedicated this Inscription.
In the south porch,
Mat. Baltis 1734, 41. Infans Johannis et Eliz. Marker, hic est
deposita. There is a carving in stone, of St. George and the dragon.
In the north porch,
Eliz. wife of John Huson 1689. Will. Priest 1721.
In the chancel,
Benj. Andrewes merchant 1623, 48. Thomas only son of Christopher Grigges 1664. Anne daughter of Tho. and Eliz. Grigges
1685. Catherine Martin 1698. John son of alderman William
Browne and Judith his wife, 21 May 1621. Lucy daughter of
Christopher Lay Esq; 1694.
Crest a griffin proper issuing from a crown or.
Cater, sab. a chevron er. between three fishes naiant arg. quartering a chevron between three leopards faces. Tho. Cater Gent.
P. M. S. JOHANNIS HARBORD de Gunton Armiger. Qui
ex Munificentiâ non vulgari, ducentas Nummorum Libras, ad
Tectum Ædis hujus, stramine suo denudandum, Plumbo verò obducendum, expendendas, Testamento legavit 1711.
There is also a small mural monument in this church, on which are
the arms of
Symonds, vert, two boars heads cooped arg. impaling gul. two
sheep passant. There are the effigies of a man and wife kneeling,
with a faldstool between them.
Here underneath lyeth interred, the Body of John Symonds and
Olive his wife, who has given by his last will and testament, unto
the poor of this parish, two shillings a week, to continue for ever
Ao Dni. 1619.
It is now given every Sunday in bread, and the house in which Mr.
Beckwith, barber, now dwells, is tied for the payment of the money.
Jeremiah Riley of Soyland near Halifax in Yorkshire, 1718, 31.
Margaret wife of Benjamin Hoyle Dr. of Rob. Ward late of
Walcote Gent. 1727, 20, Frances wife of John Hoyle 1741, 73.
In the south side of the churchyard, on an altar tomb,
SUSAN conjux amantissima, nec non plurimum amata, JOHANNIS FRANCIS naturâ GAWEN & ELIZ: NASH, adoptione JOHIS. & MARIÆ REDDINGTONr Filia: Heu!
nimium dilecta, Ao. Æt. suæ 26°. Dni. 1727°. Corpus suum Paterno huïc Tumulo, animamque in Dei Manus tradidit.
Vitæ quod brevis Particeps fuit, non est quod doleas:
Paucorum vitæ Particeps fuit Malorum.
On the top of the tomb,
GAGUINUS NASH Clericus A M. Ecclesiæ de Beelaugh
quondam Rector, obijt iij Non: Mens Dec. A. D. MDCCVI. In
piam Memoriam Patris, ANNA Filia hoc Marmor L. M. posuit,
Beati mortui, qui in Domino Moriuntur.
ELIZABETHA conjux dilectissima, ordine quidem, at nec
Amore, nee Pietate, secunda; Novem Liberorum Mater indulgentissima, communi hoc fruitur Sepulchro. obijt 8bris 29°. 1710, Æt.
Another altar tomb for Hannah Dr. of Francis and Eliz. Arnam
1722. Francis Arnam Esq; Sheriff 1723, Mayor 1732, died 1741, 67.
Crest a leopard's head. On a chevron three boars heads cooped
impaling barry of six a canton. Mary Wife of Francis Arnam
There are altar tombs also on this south side for, Susanna Wife of
Jacob Hatt 1734, 50. Jacob & Mary their Children, & and Martha
their Dr. 1706, Rob. Priest 1721, whose Honest sober Life and Behaviour, together with his friendly Disposition to all Mankind, made
him generally beloved by those that knew him. Millecent his Wife
Crest, a hand holding a hammer, the handle broken almost
through. Motto. Non Arte, sed Marte.
Nasmith, gul. a dexter hand cooped, holding a sword arg.
between two broken hammers or.
Mary Wife of James Nasmith, Jan. 21, 1721, and Sarah his
Wife, July 21, 1733.
There is an altar tomb on the north side, for Dorothy Mettyer, Dr.
of the Rev. Mr. John Coppin, Relict of Clement Barker, and Wife of
Edward Mettyer, Jan. 27, 1722, 55.
Eliz. wife of James Salmon, 1736, 54.
There is a stone fixed in the north isle wall, to the memory of John
Coppin, late rector of Winfarthing, ob. 1711, 81.
The religious concerned in this parish were, the Priors of St.
Faith, (fn. 37) Dunmowe, Hickling, Walsingham, and Norwich, (fn. 38) the Prioress
of Carrow, the Dean of the chapel in the Fields, the Custos of Magdalen hospital, and the Prioress of Bungeye, who had a house by
Over against the west gate of the cathedral, is a large house, commonly called Samson and Hercules, the portico of it being supported
by two large figures of those heroes in wood, the one holding his
club, and the other the jaw-bone of an ass.
This was formerly owned by Sir John Fastolf, Knt. after that by
the Countess of Lincolne, and in Henry the Seventh's time, by
Elizabeth Dutchess of Suffolk, who used it as a city house for herself
There are Fairs every year held on Tombland in this parish, viz.
on Good-Friday, at Whitsuntide, and Trinity, all which formerly
belonged to the convent, and now to the city, see Pt. I. p. 57, note 6,
and p. 217.