Belonged to Earl Ralf at the Conquest, and to Coleman, a freeman of Bishop Stigand's, in the Confessor's time, and after the Earl's
forfeiture, the Conqueror gave it to Eudo the sewer, who held it at the
survey; it was worth 3l. per annum at the first survey, and 4l. at the
Conqueror's; being a league long and half a one broad, and paid 9d.
q. to the geld. (fn. 1) Thorp, called afterwards Gloresthorp and Gowthorp,
which now is included in Swerdeston, belonged about half of it to this
manor, which was so called, as being then situate in the Wood. The
ancient family of the Tiviles were settled here very early. In the
time of King John and Henry III. Ralf de Tyvile of Intwode held his
manor here at two fees; one, of the ancient family sirnamed de Riparijs, and the other of Will. Marshal the younger. In 1285, John de
Tyvile was lord and patron, and had view of frankpledge, assise of
bread and ale, and all power of the lete, paying 10d. to the King, as
to his hundred of Humbleyard; so that this town was by that rent, exempt from the jurisdiction of the hundred court, and now the manor
was held of the honour of Albemarle; and the Prior of St. Faith held
the 8th part of a fee of the said John, and Tho. de Tyvile of Weston, and
others, held a fifth part of a fee of him. In 1305, the said John
granted to Simon de Hethersete, liberty of commonage for 100 sheep,
and all other cattle, in Intwood; this John sold the advowson and
lands here, to Nic. de Castello.
In Edward the Second's time, Hugh de Tivile was lord, and in 1313,
Tho. Spriggi of Monesle was lord and patron, and he and Julian his
wife had it in 1325, and in 1349, Will. son of Ralf de Bokenham, was
lord and patron, and had free-warren here. In 1356, Barth. Appleyard and John de Erpingham, citizens of Norwich, owned it; Appleyard having obtained a release from William de Bukenham (fn. 2) and Joan
his wife, settling it on him and his heirs; and in 1367, it was held of
Rob. son and heir of John de Insula, or L'isle, Knt. Will. Appleyard
his son held it till 1401, and then Bartholomew Ellys was found to
hold it at two fees, of the dutchy of Lancaster, of which Sir John Lisle
held it, but it was in trust only, for Nicholas son of William, and
grandson to Bartholomew Appleyerd, sold it to Tho. Wetherby, the
rich alderman of Norwich, who died in 1445, and left it to Margaret
his wife for life, and then to John Jenney, Esq. and Eliz. his wife,
daughter and heiress of the said Thomas: this John Jenney was third
son of Sir John Jenney, Knt.; he died in 1497, when Will. Jenney, son
of his son John Jenney, inherited; he died at Intwood in 1512, and
was buried under a large stone in the chancel, now robbed of its brasses;
Catherine his wife survived him. In 1537, Sir John Heydon, Knt. and
others, conveyed the advowson and manor to Ric. Blyant, with Swerdeston manor and advowson; but Sir John and the others, were only
trustees of John Blyant and Anne his wife, who presented in 1517,
and Ric. Blyant, Esq. their son and heir, sold it to Sir Ric. Gresham,
Knt. of London, who died in 1548, seized of the manors of Intwood,
Keswick, Swainsthorp, Hardwick, Swerdeston, and Mulberton, leaving
John his son and heir, then 30 years old. In 1549, Sir Thomas
Gresham, Knt. entertained John Dudley the great Earl of Warwick,
in his journey against the rebel Ket the tanner, at his seat here, (fn. 3) which
he soon after endowed and finished, in the manner we now see it; it
stands about half a furlong west of the church, and is now called Intwood-hall. Sir Thomas Gresham, Knt. appears lord and patron in
1568, and in 1571, William Gresham of London, Esq. who sold it
about 1596, to Henry Hobart, Esq. with the manor of Swerdeston,
in which family it hath continued ever since, John Lord Hobart of
Blickling, being now lord, and owner of the village, (which contains
the hall, and two or three cottages only,) as also patron of
The church, which is dedicated to all the Sain's, and hath a nave
11 yards long and 6 yards wide, with a chancel and south porch, all
tiled; a steeple, round at bottom and octangular at top, in which are
two bells. On a brass plate in the chancel,
Here resteth the Body of Cecily Hirst, wife of William Hirst
Gent. Dr. and Heir of Edward Shelton of Brome in the County
of Norfolk Esq; who died 28 Jan. 1619.
There is a large stone robbed of an effigies and inscription, but I
find that William Jenney Esq. was buried under it in 1512. By the
font there are two stones for, Robert Hammond Gent. 15 Aug. 1678,
84. Hammond, or, on chief sub. three martlets of the field.
His pious Memory here shall lay,
'Till Letters cut in Stone decay.
Rob. his son Aug. 14, 1687, 44.
Nil nisi pulvis inest, perfectum Gloria Corpus,
Reddet, disce citò vivere, citò mori.
Tho. son of Tho and Mary Rackham 17 Aug. 1728. Eliz. their
daughter June 7, 1731, 8. James Charles of Intwood, Aug. 19, 1718,
52. Hannah his wife Sept. 5, 1737, 52.
This rectory, when single, was first valued with the portions at 5,
after at 9 marks. When Norwich Domesday was made, John de Tivile
was patron, and there was a house and 30 acres of land; the portion
of tithes then belonging to the monks of Colchester, was valued at
4s. that of the cellerer of Norwich at 6s. 8d. being for two parts of
the great tithes of the demeans, which were given by Ralf de Tivile,
lord here, and were confirmed by John de Grey, and Tho de Blumvyle,
Bishops of Norwich. (fn. 4) The portion of the Prior of St. Faith was then
valued at 1s. but in 1428, increased to 2l. 4s. 2d. in land and commonage. The hospital of St. Giles in Norwich had lands here. (fn. 5) (fn. 6) The synodals were 13d. Peter-pence 12d. carvage 2d. and it paid 2l. to each
tenth. Being consolidated to Keswick, it is above value, and pays first
fruits and yearly tenths, viz. for Intwood 10s. and 10s. for Kesewic.
The Virgin formerly had her image in this church, with a light constantly burning before it.
Anthony Drury, Esq. second son of Sir Anthony Drury of Besthorp, Knt. by Bridget, daughter of John Spelman of Narburgh, and
brother to Sir William Drury, who died in 1639, lived here; he married a sister of Sir Owen Smith, Knt. of Winston, and (as the book intituled The Grandeur of the Law, tells us, p. 229,) was descended from
Rob. Drury of Lincoln's Inn, Esq. a person of great learning, and
Speaker of the House of Commons in Henry the Seventh's time.
Rectors of Intwood.
1275, Robert de Tivile, rector.
1313, Nic. Spriggi. Tho. Spriggi of Monesle.
1325, John de Bukenham. Tho. Spriggi and Julian his wife.
1334, Rob. de Shadwell. Sir Simon de Hethersete, Knt. guardian to Will. son of Ralf de Bukenham.
1336, John (or Rob.) de Bingham.
1349, John Boule of Old-Bukenham; he died rector. Will, de
1364, Will. Wisete, he died and was buried in the minor-friars church
at Norwich. Bartholomew Appleyard and John Erpingham,
citizens of Norwich.
1339, John Wysete, buried in the chancel in 1392, and was succeeded by
Walter Bulleman, and he in 1399, by
Tho. Cantele, these three being presented by William Appleyard, citizen of Norwich, as was
Barth Belagh in 1401, when
The chapel of St. James the Apostle of Gawesthorp, or Gawthorp,
was an nexed and consolidated to this church of Intwood.
1424, Will. Bultell. Thomas Wetherby, Esq. citizen and alderman of Norwich.
1425, Walter Martin, who in 1431, changed for Titshall with
Rob. Clement, (fn. 7) who in 1444, changed with
Tho. Brook for Pevensey in Chichester diocese; he was deprived in
Tho. Morrice was presented by John Jenney, Esq. and Eliz. his
wife, heiress of Wetherby, who presented the four following rectors,
1471, Ric. Roper; at his death in
1482, Ric. Dawntre, who is buried in Hethersete church and was
1493, by John Ponsty. In
1501, James Styward had it by lapse, and in
1502, Tho. Howson, at whose death in
1517, Edmund Loge had it, of the gift of John Blyant and Anne
his wife; he died in 1529, and
Chris. Lant had it, by gift from Ric. Bliant, Esq.; he was succeeded by
Tho. Coyton, on whose deprivation in
1554, Henry Smith was presented by Tho. Gresham, Esq. at whose
1574, John Shinquen had it, and held it united to Keswick, Sir Tho.
Gresham, Knt. being patron.
1597, July 21, Edw. Munday was presented by Tho. Tirrel, Esq.
patron of this turn, and on Oct. 23d following by consent of Will.
Gresham, Esq. patron, it was consolidated to the church of Keswick
adjoining to Intwood.
Rectors of Intwood and Keswick, and Gowthorp chapel annexed.
1602, Will. Welles, B. D.; in 1603, he returned 46 communicants
here. Sir John Hobart, Knt. patron.
1617, Will. Warren. The King by lapse.
1639, John Ridley. Lady Dorothy Hobart.
Henry King; he resigned, and in
1662, John Sheffield, A. M. was presented by Sir John Hobart of
Blickling, Bart. In 1663, he resigned, and Sir John gave it to
Miles Smith, and in
1680, to Ric. Clerk, at whose death in
1708, Sam. Harris was presented by Sir John Hobart, Bart. and
at his cession in 1720, he gave it to
Will. Herring, LL. B. on whose cession in
1743, The Rev. Will. Leech, the present rector, was instituted at the
presentation of John Lord Hobart, now patron.