Commonly called Carleton Curson, from its lords of that name,
takes its denomination from the [Cheorles, Carles] (fn. 1) or countrymen, that
anciently inhabited in it; Carleton signifying no more than the
Churles Town, which is the reason we meet with so many places of
that name; for distinction it is sometimes called Norwich Carleton,
or Carleton by Norwich, and very often East-Carleton: as there are
two manors, so there were also two parochial churches, standing
within about 50 yards of one another, with a highway only between
their churchyards; that now standing, is dedicated to St. Mary, and
was appropriated to the nuns of Marham from their foundation;
and before 1324, the Priory of Alvesbourne held it appropriated to
them, and served it by a stipendiary chaplain, and the prior had a
house and two carucales of land; it was first valued at five, and after
at six marks, (fn. 2) paid 4s. procurations, 7d. synodals, 6d. Peter-pence, and
4d. carvage; and there was a gild of St. John Baptist held here. Alvesbourne prior and his convent conveyed it to the master and brethren
of St. Giles's hospital in Norwich, (fn. 3) who were obliged by the Bishop, in
the year 1498, to present a rector, it appearing that the appropriation,
though it had continued so long, was never legally made; (fn. 4) and accordingly it hath been a rectory ever since, in the gift of the hospital,
till the Dissolution, and now is in the mayor and commonalty of
Norwich, as guardians to the hospital.
Rectors presented by the Master and Brethren of St. Giles's
1498, John Dalle, alias Hekker, who was then a brother, and afterwards master of the hospital; he resigned in
1511, to John Bradnam, who died rector in 1531, and was succeeded by
Will. Porter, on whose death in
1541, Rob. Thakster was the last presented by the hospital, and
held it to his death, united pepetually to Carleton St. Peter; for in
1565, John Bayldon, his successour, was presented by the Mayor
and Commonalty of Norwich, to Carleton Utraque; he resigned in
1566, to Mat. Robertson, who was deprived in
1577, and Will. Browne had it; and in
1579, Henry Golding had it of the gift of the Queen, and Mayor
and Commonalty. He died in
1628, and Tim Plomer had it, at whose death in
1639, Greg. Mower was presented, and in
1651, Miles Smith. In 1681, the Mayor and Commonalty gave it to
Peter Coppin, and at his death in
1729, The Rev. Mr. John Smith, the present rector, was collated
The church of St. Peter the Apostle, was wholly appropriated to the priory of Shouldham, (fn. 5) and no vicarage endowed, and
had a carucate of land belonging to it; it was first valued at 5l. after
at nine marks, and paid 9d. synodals, 6s. 8d. procurations, 2d. ob.
carvage, and 12s. for every tenth. (fn. 6) It was disappropriated for want
of a legal appropriation, and became a rectory in the gift of Shouldham priory.
Rectors presented by Shouldham Convent.
1439, Ric. Cross, to the rectory of Carleton Curson St. Peter.
1456, Will. Belle; he died in 1458, and
Will. Grimston succeeded, at whose death in
1464, Tho. Thompson had it; in
1498, John Clerk, who in 1506, had it united for life to Northbergh. In
1521, Rob. Longland held it, and is buried before the high-altar on
the south side; and in
1530, Rob. Thaxter was the last presented by the convent, who in
1441, had it united to St. Mary as aforesaid, and it continued with it
till 1679, and then
Tho. Lewgar was presented, but did not enjoy it long, for
Golding had it, (fn. 7) and after him
Plummer; but in 1640, the King presented
Edw. Rogers to it single, and in 1677, it was returned a sinecure, as it is; for the church, which is a small one, without any tower,
was turned into a parsonage-house, now uninhabited and in ruins;
the close in which it stands is glebe, and is south-east of St. Mary's,
with which it is held by
The Rev. Mr. Smith, the present rector. The church was
suffered to be dilapidated about 1550.
St. Mary's church hath a square tower half fallen down, one
bell, the nave and chancel are tiled, and the north isle leaded; at the
east end of which, is an old altar and chapel, dedicated also to St.
Mary, before which lies a stone disrobed of its brasses, under which
William Appleyard of this town, Gent. lies buried, as appears by
his will dated in August 1481. (fn. 8)
In the chancel on a brass plate by the altar,
Here resteth the Body of Mr. Henry Golding, who was
Minister of God's Word in this Place, near fifty Years, and lived a
peaceable and godly Life, & died the 2d Day of June, 1628.
On a mural monument against the north wall, with a book at top,
M. S. Petri Coppin A.M. hujusce Ecclesiæ per annos 48
Rectoris vigilantissimi obijt Nov. die 14° Anno Sal' Humanæ 1728,
Æt. suæ 73. Rebeccæ uti etiam Uxoris ejus dilectissimæ obijt
Nov. die 9no Anno Sal. humanæ 1727, Æt. suæ 73.
Anice Wife of Dr. Suckling Dean of Norwich, died Aug. 4,
Peter Coppin Apr. 11, 1715, 86. Eliz. his Wife, Dr. of Math.
Markham sometime Mayor of Norwich, Nov. 21, 1702, aged 70.
Michael Son of Peter Coppin Rector, at whose charge this Stone
is laid, in Honour to his Father and Mother. Also Jane wife of
Rob. Rudd Yeoman, youngest Dr. of Peter Coppin Clerk, Aug. 4,
1722, 30, and 2 Infants, both Johns, Sons of John & Eliz. Coppin.
Anne wife of Robert Snell, & Daughter of Martin Fountain
Clerk, 6 Jan. 1676.
Hodie mihi, Cras tibi.
In the church there are stones for, John Bensley Gent, 5 Jan. 1660
77. Hen. Bensley May 4, 1593.
In the isle, Ric. Watson Sept. 20, 1718, 74. Easter Richman
Mar. 7, 1659.
This rectory stands as a consolidated rectory (fn. 9) in the King's Books,
|4l. 0 0 Carlton Stæ. Mariæ rect.||l. s. d.|
|6l. 0 0 Carlton Sti. Petri||44 11 11 ob. clear yearly value.|
So that it is discharged of first fruits and tenths, and is capable of
Carleton Curson's Manor
Belonged to Olf the Dane, (fn. 10) and was held by Walter, of Roger Bigot,
at the Conqueror's survey; there were then two churches, which had
38 acres of glebe, belonging to this manor, and 27 freemen and an
half, part of which belonged Rog. Bigot, and part to Ralf Peverel,
who had also a manor here, which belonged to Ketel the
Dane, (fn. 11) and after to Godric the sewer, then to Ralf Peverel, of
whom it was held at the last survey, by Warine; and there were then
ten freemen here, over which, the King and the Earl, had lete or
jurisdiction; at the first survey, this town was worth to the lords 3l.;
at the last 5l. 10s. a year. The family that took their sirname of
Carleton from their lordship here, were descendants of this Walter,
in whom it continued till Alice, daughter and heiress of Philip de
Carleton and Margaret his wife, carried it to John de Curson of Carleton, her husband; and in 1203, William de Curson their son was lord,
and held the manor, part of the Earl-Marshal at one knight's fee, and
part of the honour of Peverel at one quarter of a fee. In 1301, Will.
de Cursoun of Carleton, who was escheator, accounted with the King
in the Exchequer, for the receipts of his office, and in 1308, Ric. son
and heir of William, agreed before Sir Will. de Carleton and others,
to settle divers lands here and in Stanfield, on Katherine, widow of
the said William. In 1315, Will. Curson was lord, and died in 1320,
and John his son and heir succeeded, who in 1325, held it jointly with
Margaret his wife, of Tho. de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk, and Will.
his son and heir was then three years old. In 1371, Hugh Curson had
it, who in 1387, had it settled on himself and Beatrix his wife; Rob.
de Berney and others being trustees; and in 1392, they sold it to Sir
Robert Berney, Knt. Nicholas de Blakney, Thomas de Blickling, Hugh
atte Fenn, and Tho. Hert, and their heirs; and the same year, they
sold it to Will. Appleyard and Margaret his 2d wife, and their heirs;
and in 1406, it extended into Hethill, and the rents and profits were
about 15l. per annum. It had a lete, and paid to the bailiff of Humbleyard hundred for lete fee 3d. and for hundred scot 15d. and for a rent
of honey due to the hundred, 15d. and was obliged to find a wax
taper yearly to burn before the image of St. Catherine in one of the
churches. And from this time it continued in the Appleyards of
Brakene, along with that manor, as you may see at p. 83, 4. In 1551,
John Appleyerd, Esq. had mortgaged it to Simon Morse of Great
Yarmouth, merchant, and he entered upon it, and Appleyard held it
by lease from him at 40l. per annum, and after sold the whole to Tho.
Townesend, Esq. along with Brakene, and by him it was sold to Ric.
Rabye, Gent. who in 1612 conveyed the manor of East Carleton Cursuns to Sir Will. Heyricke, Knt. when it extended into Keteringham,
Mulbarton, Swardeston, and Hethill. It was soon after conveyed to
the Hobarts, and in 1622, Sir Henry Hobart, Knt. and Bart. sold it
to Sir Thomas Richardson, Knt. and his heirs, in whom it continued
till it was mortaged by the Lord Richardson, and after sold; and now
belongs to James Arcourt of London, Esq. (fn. 12) the present lord.
Carleton Manor, Peverel's, and the Grand Serjeanty,
Belonged to Ketel the Dane, afterwards to Godric the sewer, then to
Ralf Peverel, of whom Warine held it at the Conqueror's survey, and
the King had then a freeman here, and 32 acres of land, half a carucate and one acre of meadow, valued at 3s. a year, (fn. 13) all which, he
gave to be added to this manor for ever, on condition that the lords
for the time being should yearly carry to the King's house, wherever
he is, so he be in England, 24 herring pies or pasties, being the
ancient fee-farm rent of the city of Norwich, and place them on his
Majesty's table, for which serjeanty and service, the person so carrying them shall always receive there, wherever they are delivered, six
white loaves, six dishes of meat out of the King's kitchen; one flaggon
of wine, one flaggon of beer, one truss of hay, one bushel of oats, one
pricket of wax, and six tallow candles; (fn. 14) which service is now annually performed by the sheriff's of the city of Norwich, or their
deputies, the city being now lords of this manor by purchase.
William, son of Ralf de Carletun, son of Warine aforesaid,
and William son of John de Carleton, brother of Ralf, held it by the
sergeanty aforesaid, and the manor was then valued at two marks. (fn. 15)
In 1235, William son of Ralf de Carleton, and Will. Curson, had it;
and in 1247, Eustace son of William de Curson; and in 1274, he, and
Will. de Brokedish, (fn. 16) Robert de Welhom, Agnes daughter of William de
Carleton, and John de Hethersete, had the serjeanty; the manor being
then found to be held of Hugh Peverel, as of the honour of Peverel,
at a quarter of a fee; and in 1277, the citizens of Norwich paid 4d. to
the bailiff of the manor, as a customary payment for carrying the
King's pasties. In 1286, Tho. de Brokedish and the others owned it,
after that Jeffry de Brokedish, and after him, William son of Jeffery,
and the others, had it; and after him, Nigel de Brokedish and his
parceners; and Will. de Curson, who died seized in 1319, when John
de Curson, his son and heir, was 25 years old, and Robert de Welholm
had then the fourth part. In 1315, John Curson died seized of the
other three parts, and Margaret his widow had one of the three
parts assigned by John de Blomevile, escheator, as her dower, and
William his son and heir was then three years old. In 1327, on Rob.
de Welholme's death, his fourth part went to Robert his son and heir,
who in 1335, is said to have been married to one of the heiresses of
Sir Ralf le Botiler. In 1343, Thomas Curson of East-Carleton, and
Joice his wife, conveyed divers of the demeans by fine, to John Rolf
of Norwich, and Alice his wife, and John Ashewell, free from any
part of the sergeanty. In 1345, the heir of William de Colvile, Hugh
Curson, and John de Welholm, owned it; and in 1330, he, and Edw.
de Welholme, his brother, had a King's pardon for purchasing lands
held in capite, and adding them to this manor, without license. In
1360, Ric. de Colneye had the 4th part of it. In 1369, Nicholas de
Welholme settled it (if he had no issue) on Richard de Welholme, his
nephew, and Agnes his wife; and for want of their heirs, on Alice
daughter of Thomas de Welholme; and in default of heirs from her,
on Robert, son of Ric. de Nethergate. In 1399, Will. Curson held it.
In 1401, the whole became vested in Will. Appleyerd of Brakene, the
3d part in right of Margaret his wife, who was widow of Will. Curson,
and the 4th part by purchase from Nicholas at Launde, who held it
at a quarter of a fee, of Forncet manor; the other parts being held of
John Peverel, by a quarter of a fee, as of the honour of Hatfield
Peverel; and from this time it attended the Appleyerds along with
Brakene, as may be seen at p. 83, 4. In 1530, it appeared that both
Sir Nic. Appleyerd and Rog. his son held the lands called Trenches,
now joined to this manor, by the service of summoning and distraining all the suitors to the court of Forncet. It was sold by John
Appleyerd with Brakene, to Thomas Townesend, Esq. who in 1576,
acknowledged the receipt of the herring pies of the sheriffs of Norwich, by indenture dated on Saturday Sept. 4, at the gild-hall, where
the lord of this manor was obliged to come, or send a deputy for them,
once in a year only; about 1600, it was purchased by Sir Edwyn
Rich, Knt.; it after belonged to the Hobarts, then to the Richardsons, (fn. 17)
and in 1643, Sir Thomas son of Sir Thomas Richardson, Knt. Lord
Chief Justice, held the manor by knight's service of the Earl of
Arundel's manor of Forncet, and a messuage and 24 acres of land in
grand sergeanty. In 1673, Thomas Lord Richardson Baron of Cramond, had it; and in 1680, Peter Clayton, Gent. held the manor and
sergeanty; after which the whole was purchased by the city of
Norwich, who are the present lords, and alternate patrons of the
The old revenues of the city in this town and Hetheld, or Hethill,
are tied for an annuity of 10l. to the master and fellows of Bennet
college in Cambridge, for exhibitions and sermons, as appears at large
vol. iii. p. 311.
The ancient revenues here that belonged to St. Giles's hospital,
were given by the founder thereof, as may be seen at p. 383, vol. iv.
Brother Robert de Carleton, warden of the Gray friars in
Norwich, was a native of this town; see vol. iv. p. 113.