This town is not so much as once called by this name in Domesday
Book, but that of Haber-tan, or the Holy Stone, from some remarkable stone cross erected there; but it soon after became to be called
by the name of Bunwell, which was a hamlet belonging to it; Bunwell signifies Fons Rivuli, or the Rivulet's Head, and accordingly
the situation of the place answers it, for that part of the town which
is distinguished, by this name, from the other manors, hath the fountain or head of a small rivulet arising in it, which passing southwards,
is called Bunwell-Beck, running at the entrance into Tacolneston
common, and thence by Stanhowe bridge, (fn. 1) to Aslacton and Forncet.
This town comprehends several villas, berewicks, or lesser hamlets,
mentioned in the style of the court baron, and which now are the
several manors, viz. Bunwell Haddeston. Bosevil's, Perishall, and Banyard's; all which are in the bounds of this parish, and besides these,
the style of the court runs, Carleton, Tibenham, cum Membris; all
which lie in the parishes of Tibenham and Carleton, which see
The church is dedicated to St. Michael the archangel, and had
30 acres of glebe belonging to it at the Conquest, when there were
three manors, to each of which, a part of the advowson belonged,
but Roger Fitz-Peter Fitz-Osbert bought a part of Walkeline de Bosevile; so that he had one moiety, and Sir Robert Banyard the other.
When Norwich Domesday was made, Rob. Fitz-Osborn was patron,
and the rector had a house and 40 acres of glebe; it was first valued
at 20 marks, after at 30 without the portion; and the portion of the
prior of Lewes was first laid at six, after at ten marks, and consisted
of two third parts of the great tithes, of all the demeans of Bosevile's
manor, which were given to the monks of Castleacre, (a cell to Lewes
in Sussex, by Walkeline de Bosevile, and Lady Agatha de Bosevile, and
Pandulf Bishop of Norwich confirmed the agreement, made by the
judges assigned by the Pope for this purpose, on a suit between the
monks of Acre, and Alan de Beccles, rector here, (fn. 2) that the rector and
his successours, should for ever receive all the tithes of all the
demeans and tenants of Bosevile's manor, paying to Castleacre convent 30d. every Easter, and 30d. every Michaelmas; which is paid at
this day by the rector, to the Duke of Norfolk, in right of the dissolved monastery of Castleacre, which was granted to his family at the
Dissolution. The portion of Sees monastery was first taxed at 10s.
after, at 18s. 4d. then by composition between the monastery and rector,
reduced to 6s. 8d. pension, which is also paid by the rector at this
time, to the aforesaid Duke. The procurations were 6s. 8d. synodals
2s. 2d. Peter-pence 10d. carvage 6d. and the town paid clear to each
tenth 5l. 6s. 8d. It stands thus in the King's Books,
17l. Bunwell, alias Bullwell Rect. 1l. 14s. yearly tenths.
And not being discharged, is capable of augmentation. The spirituals
of the Prior of St. Olave were one mark, his temporals 3s. and the
temporals of the Prior of Bukenham were 4s. 11d.
Rectors of Bunwell.
1201, Alan de Beccles. Fulk Banyard, by grant of this turn
from Roger Fitz-Peter Fitz-Osbert. In 1218, he was vicar-general to
the Bishop of Norwich, and in 1224, Archdeacon of Sudbury; see vol.
iii. p. 647.
1327, Will. Banyard. Sir Rob. Banyard, Knt.
1349, Hugh Bandon of Yoxford. Sir Roger de Norwich. He
changed for Bernham-Broom with
1355, Master Will. de Baketon. Tho. de Grey this turn.
1357, Master Will. de Herwardestok. Sir Rog. de Norwich, Knt.
1373, Master John Branthwait, rector.
1396, Master Elias de Bintre. The master and brethren of Metyngham chantry.
1410, Sir John Toleye, priest. Thomas Patesle, clerk, Simon
Brunne, and William Fulbourne, Esq. this turn.
1418, Jeffry at Medwe, on Tolye's resignation. The master and brethren of St. Mary's chantry or college at Metyngham.
1427, Thomas Ringstede, changed with Medwe for Farnham rectory, (fn. 3) in London diocese. Will. Grey.
John Manning. The college of Metyngham. On his death in
1442, Tho. Larke had it. William Grey of Merton, Esq. each
other turn. He was succeeded by
1486, John Jullys, presented by the college. At his death in
1504, Walter Catesby, A. M. had it of the gift of Sir Humfry
Catesbye, Knt. (fn. 4) for this turn. At his death in
1506, Ric. Grisley was presented by Ric. Braunche, master of
1541, Sir Robert Codde, chaplain to the Bishop of Norwich, and
Master of St. Giles's hospital there, (see vol. iv. p. 399,) was presented
by Thomas Codde, the famous mayor of Norwich in 1549, (see vol.
iii. p 225, 30,) who had this turn of Edmund Grey, Esq. At Codde's
1547, Will. Rede had it, of Peter Rede, Gent. (see vol. iv. p. 200,)
who had the turn of Anthony Denny, Esq. one of the privy council, in right of his manor of Persehall, late belonging to the dissolved
college of Metingham. He was succeeded by
1555, John Porye, D. D. fellow of Stoke-Clare and Bennet colleges, (fn. 5)
rector of Landbeach, and this year vicar of St. Stephen's, Norwich;
prebend of the 2d stall in Ely cathedral; in Jan. 1559, being made
rector of Lambeth and prebendary of Westminster; he quitted Ely,
1564, Ric. Hunt, a deacon, succeeded on his resignation, who had
the turn by grant from John Denney, Esq.
1572, Ric. Stokes, A. B. on Hunt's resignation, afterwards united to
Carleton. Sir Chris. Heydon, Knt. in right of Temperance his
wife, relict of Tho. Grey of Merton. In
1603, he returned answer, that there were 240 communicants in
this parish, that he was chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury,
that Mr. Grey and Mr. Denney were patrons by turns.
1610, Nath. Wadesworth, A. M. Firmian Denney, Gent.
1638, William Locke, A. M. on Wadesworth's death. Rob. de
Edward Atkinson, united to Carleton, and died in 1698. (See
1698. William Rant, on Atkinson's death. Tho. de Grey of
Merton, Esq. afterwards united to Carleton.
1731, The Rev. Mr. James Baldwin, the present rector, holds it
united to Carleton. John Buxton, Esq. (see p. 127.)
The church is a neat lightsome building, having a nave only,
which with the south porch is covered with lead; the chancel is tiled,
and hath a decayed vestry on the north side; the tower is square, and
a neat structure, and was finished about 1520. In 1505, William Taylor
of Haddeston, a hamlet of Bunwell, was buried in the churchyard, and
bequeathed "toward the makyng of the stepill of Bonewell every yere
whan the masons work upon it, 6s. 8d. till the sum of 33s. 4d. be
paid." There was a brass plate fixed in a stone on the west side,
but it is now lost; as is the following inscription preserved by Mr.
Weever, fo. 814.
Of your Charity pray for the Soul of John Barosse and Margaret his wife, on whose Souls have Mercy Amen.
1724, November 15, the widow Richards was buried here, aged one
hundred and eleven years.
In the chancel on the north side, is a stone for Mr. John Blake,
Aug. 21, 1686, Æt. 64, and the arms of Blake with a de-lis for difference on it, as in vol. i. p. 48.
Sir Sim. Socelye had a pension granted him out of the revenues of
Metyngham college in this town, by Henry VIII. I suppose he was
one of the last fellows there; he was buried here in August 1555, and
Mr. Andrews, the Prince's servant, had another pension; but he was
buried here soon after the grant.
On a stone towards the east corner.
Hujus Ecclesiæ Rectoris,
Inter Jacobum et Gulielmum
Saræ, Elizabethæ, Mariæ,
Obijt VI° Kal. Jun.
Ao. Æt. VII°.
Terrenas Oculis vix dum lustraverat Oras,
Ocyus hinc inquit: Sedes super astra petamus.
In 1479, John Burke purchased eight acres and one rood freehold
in Springfield in Bunwell, and by will dated in 1497, gave it for ever
to the parish of Bunwell, to help the poor in discharging the King's
taske, and other charges when they fall; he is buried at Bunwell, gave
35s. to adorn our Lady's tabernacle and the herse of the Sepulchre of
our Lord in the church. These are town lands at this day.
In 1498, Idonea, wife of John Bukke, confirmed to John Heydon
and other feoffees, her husband's gift, of 7 acres in one peice at Blome's
Close by Does in Bunwell, and 1 acre 1 rood, in one peice in Bunwell
1546, Will Bret, according to the will of Simon Rede of Bunwell
infeoffed Henry Lincoln and others, in 3 acres of land lying in Windham, by the land of the gild of St. John Baptist in Besthorp, &c. to
the sole use of the inhabitants of Bunwell, towards paying the tenths
and fifteenths of the said parish, to the King, and relief of the poor.
In 1581, William and John Ingram, brothers, settled one acre
in Bunwell, to the use of the poor.
In 1629, Nat. Wadesworth, rector, and Will. Bret, settled
two acres of pasture lying in Carleton, either towards paying the taske,
repairing the church, relieving honest poor people, or any other
charges needful to be defrayed by the parishioners of Bunwell,
There are two cottages with a rood of ground to each, which belong
to the parish.
In 1546, among the town accounts (fn. 6) is this entered "Paid to John
Warde for beating down the altars one day and half 11d. and
received of Will. Rysyng for the high altar 16d. (for the stone, I
suppose, that covered it); 1554, paid for the pix image 6d."
Hadeston, Bainard's, or Baniard's-Hall
Was the principal manor in this town, and belonged to Torn a Dane
in the Confessor's time, and at the Conqueror's survey, Gaoserid or
Godefride held it under Ralf Bainard; there belonged to it two
villeins, two bordars or copyholders, 4 servants to manage the demeans, which then contained two carucates, besides 15 acres of meadow, and wood that would maintain 20 swine, 190 sheep, and one
hive of bees; at the first survey it was worth 5l. a year, and at the
second 10l. 12s. There were at the first survey, 18 freemen, reduced
to 12 at the second, and they were worth 28s. in yearly rents paid to
the manor; the whole town was four miles and one furlong long, and
two miles and 15 perches broad, and paid 9d. to the geld. (fn. 7)
As this manor, for the most part, passed with the manor of Merton,
till Tho. de Grey, Esq. the present lord of Merton, sold it with the
moiety of the advowson, to the Buxtons, who joined it to their other
manors here, I need only refer you to the account of Merton at vol. ii.
Robert Baynard gave two parts of the tithes of this manor, to
the monks of Lewes; Fulk Bainard held it at one fee of Robert FitzWalter, as of his manor of Hemenhale, and confirmed his father's
grant to the monks of Lewes. John Prior of Lewes, released 60
acres in Merton, and one messuage to Fulk, and he released to the
prior, and confirmed the advowsons of Merton and East-Riston, and
the two parts of the tithes of Hadeston demeans; he paid 28s. every 20
weeks, for castle-guard to Baynard castle, for Merton, and this manor,
and had assise of bread and ale and weyf belonging to it.
In 1371, Sir Roger Grey of Merton, Knt. ordered his feoffees (see
vol. ii. p. 302) to sell this manor to raise portions for his two daughters; and accordingly, they, jointly with the consent of Sir Thomas
Grey, parson of Wethersfield, in 1389, sold it for 200 marks, to Tho.
Duke of Gloucester and his heirs, Thomas Archbishop of York, Robert
Bishop of London, Ric. Earl of Arundel, Thomas Earl of Warwick,
and others, his feoffees; and in 1303, the said Duke of Gloucester
obtained a royal license, to settle an annuity of 10 marks a year, on
the abbey of Walden, (fn. 8) but the settlement was never completed. In
1398, Ric. II. granted it to Edmund de Langley Duke of York, (fn. 9) as
part of the possessions of the Duke of Gloucester, attainted; it afterwards belonged to John Stukley in right of his wife Phillippa, daughter
and heiress of John Mohun Lord of Dunster, widow of Edmund
Plantagenet son and heir of Edmund of Langley Duke of York, but
was after repurchased by Tho. Grey, clerk.
In 1536, the manor of Whitwell-Hall in Skeyton, was held by
Thomas Sterne, of Grace Catesbye, as of her manor of Bainard's Hall
in Bunwell, which she held in jointure. In 1543, Vawce's manor in
Easton, (fn. 10) was held by Gilbert Talbot, of Edmund Grey, as of his
manor of Bainard's Hall.
In 1566, Robert Grey held this manor of the Earl of Sussex, as
of his manor of Atleburgh, by one fee. In 1611, Robert Kemp, Esq.
of Gissing, held his manor of Burnet's of this manor; and in 1742,
the quitrents of the manor of Bainard's-Hall in Hadeston, were 22l.
14s. 4d. q. a year.
The ancient Baynards upon losing their barony of Baynard's
castle, for rebellion against Henry I. had it given from them to the
ancestors of the Fitz-Walters, as at vol. ii. p. 299. But this manor
being granted to a younger branch before the forfeiture, it was never
forfeited, though these Baynards bare their arms differing only in
colour from the Fitz-Walters, their chief lords; as the Fitz-Walters
did from the Clare family, whence they descended, from whose arms
they only varied by a fess between two chevrons, instead of three
chevrons born by the Earls of Clare, and in like manner the Cornherds or Cornerths, in imitation of the Baynards, their capital and
chief lords, bare the same arms, only varied in colour, and often
quartered them with the Baynards; but when Sir Thomas de Grey,
Knt. married the heiress of Sir Richard de Cornherd, Knt. he laid
aside the paternal coat of Grey, and he and all his descendants always
used Cornherd's as their own, except Tho. de Grey, clerk, who always
bare the ancient family arms of Grey, with a mullet; and when their
son Tho. de Grey, Knt. married Isabel, daughter and coheiress of Fulk
Baynard of Merton, the Greys ever since bare Bainard quartered
with Cornerth, as follows:
CORNERTH & BAYNARD.
THOMAS DE GREY, Esq. 1746. ELIZ. WINDHAM, his wife.
THO. GREY, Clerk, 1403.
Hadeston, Fitz-Osbert's, Peter's-Hall,
Perer's, commonly called Perse-Hall manor in Bunwell, took its
name from Peter Fitz-Osbert, its lord; Ailwin of Thetford was
lord of it in Edward the Confessor's time, and Rob. de Curcun
held it of Roger Bigot at the Conqueror's survey, when it had a mill,
21 bordars, wood for 46 swine; (fn. 11) the tenants could sell their lands,
conditionally that they reserved the lords services; the church had
30 acres of glebe, two acres and an half of meadow, and half a carucate, the soc or superiour jurisdiction over the manor, belonged jointly
to the King and Earl, and the manor in the first survey was valued at
40s. and afterwards at 70s.; but as it passed with Carleton manor to
Walter de Norwich, as at p. 129, I need not repeat it, but refer you
thither; it was held of the Earl-Marshal at 1 fee, and had freewarren allowed in eire, to Roger Fitz-Osbert, its lord; in 1287,
Sir Walter de Norwich being seized, left it to Sir John his son,
who confirmed it for life to Catherine his mother, and after her
decease, to the master and chaplains of the college of St. Mary at
Raveningham, of his own foundation, to whom he gave his castle at
Metyngham in Suffolk, to which he ordered them to translate their
college or chantry, and his own and ancestors bones; he gave them
part of his estate to increase the number of their fellows from 8 to 13;
he first founded them at Raveningham in 1342, translated them in
1350 to Norton Supecors, and in 1394, they removed and fixed their
college at Metyngham; Sir John Plays, Sir Robert Howard, Sir John
Boys, Knts. John Wolterton and Elias Bintre, clerks, having obtained
license for that purpose in 1382, though they could not settle it before: they were executors to Sir John son of Sir Walter de Norwich, (fn. 12)
and grandson to Sir John the founder of Raveningham. But notwithstanding this, it being settled at the purchase on Sir Walter de
Norwich and Catherine his wife, and Roger their son, for life; the
said John had it and presented in 1349 and 1357, and held it in 1371
at one fee, by the name of Hadiston manor, alias Peryshall in
Bunwell, Carleton, and Tibenham; with the advowson of Carleton,
and the mediety of the advowson of Bunwell; and John de Norwich,
son of Walter, was his heir; and in 1374, Katherine de Breouse, or
Brewse, cousin and heir of Sir John de Norwich, junior, Knt. viz.
daughter and heiress of Thomas, brother to Sir John, father of Sir
Walter, son of Sir John Norwich, junior, settled it with Ling, Metingham castle, and others, on Sir John Plays, &c. and Miles Stapleton,
executors of Sir John Norwich, junior, and feoffees to her; and in
1394, they settled on the chantry of Norton-Subcross, 3 messuages,
86 acres of land, 5 acres of marsh, 6 acres of aldercarr, 12 acres of
reed-harth, and 4s. rent, in Raveningham, Norton-Subcross, and Metingham, and the moiety of the advowson, and the manor of Pereshall
in Bunwell: and thus
John le Neve, the last master of Raveningham chantry at NortonSubcross, became lord of this manor, and patron of the mediety of
this church; and in
1403, John Wilby of Norwich, priest, was chosen by the fellows,
and was inducted by John Bainard, priest, (fn. 13) conduct of the college, and
one of the 13 fellows there; he was succeeded by,
1425, Master Thomas Whitehead, and he in 1442, by Master
Thomas Bowbrigg, alias Shaer, on whose death in 1448, William
Fransham was elected, and died in 1480, and Robert Wright,
priest, had it; and in 1493, Ric. Braunche, and in 1520, Ric.
Shelton, who died in 1530, and Tho. Manning, suffragan bishop
of Ipswich, succeeded; he was the last master.
This college was granted, with the revenues thereto belonging, to
the Denneys, and in 1547, Anthony Denney, Esq. one of the privy
council, had it; and in 1560, John Denney, Esq. in 1619, Thomas
Denney; and in 1620, Firmian Denney, Gent. It was after purchased by the Buxtons, with the moiety of the advowson, and joined
to their manor of Carleton, &c. The quitrents in 1742, were 19l. 14s.
In the windows of Persehall are these arms:
Sab. a saltier arg. Crest, on a wreath O. G. a bunch of wheat
Ditto, impaling arg. a fess lozengé gul. in chief three eagles heads
Hadeston, Bosevile's Manor,
Belonged to Osbern at the Confessor's survey, and to Roger FitzRenard at the Conqueror's; in Osbern's time it was worth 20s. and
in Roger's 40s. (fn. 14) Fitz-Renard's issue assumed the name of Hadeston,
and William de Hadeston, lord here, held it of the Earl Warren,
as did William his son, who died young and without issue, leaving his
sisters his heirs, viz. Alice, married to William Muleton, and Catherine to Roger Talbot, who all released their rights in 1198, to
Agatha de Hadeston, their sister, who the year following, married to Walkeline de Bosevile; and Ric. Turburn and Margaret his wife, released also their part to their sister Agatha, by which
means Walkeline became possessed of the whole manor. He was
succeeded by his son William, and he in 1218, by Robert his brother,
who held it at one fee of the Earl Warren; he confirmed to the
monks of Castleacre, two parts of the tithes of his demean lands here,
and of his lands in Tibenham and Westhache, which his ancestors
gave to that monastery. In 1297, Will. de Bosevile had it, and held
it of William de Mortimer, who held it of the Earl Warren. In 1314,
Margery, widow of William, settled it on Robert de Bosevile and Joan
his wife, who seems to have been a Boys; John de Boys, junior, and
Ralf de St. Omer, parson of Brundale, being concerned in the settlement. In 1345, Robert Bosevile held it of Constantine Mortimer; it
was after that Adam Bosvile's in 1363. In 1403, Sir Robert Noon
had it, (fn. 15) and in 1417, Sir Henry Noon, Knt. and after him Sir John
Heydon, who died seized in 1479, when he held it of Mortimer's
manor of Atleburgh; he was succeeded by Henry Heydon, Esq. his
son, who held it with the manors of Bukenham's and Rodehall in
Carleton-Rode. In 1570, they belonged to Sir Christopher Heydon,
and were left by him to James Hubbert, Sir Christopher being
bound thereto, by the grandfather of the said James. In 1588, it
appears by a survey then made, that James Hubbert, junior, Esq. was
lord of the several manors of Hadeston, Bosewell's, Rodehall, Bukenham's, Whitwell's, and Laund's; all which were joined, their court
being kept at Bunwell, and the style of the court was, Bunwell,
Carleton, and Tibenham cum membris; the two first being in
Bunwell, the two second in Carleton, and the two last in Tibenham;
the whole rents were about 44l. per annum. In 1597, Henry Hobart, Esq. conveyed them to John Hobart, Gent.; they belonged
to John Buxton, Esq. of Chanons in Tibenham in 1623, and after
him to Robert Buxton, whose widow Hannah owned them in
1678, and her son Robert Buxton, Esq. had them, who was succeeded
by John Buxton, Esq. father of Robert Buxton, Esq. the present
lord of all the manors in this town, and sole patron of this church.
Thorp's Manor in Bunwell
Was originally part of Fitz-Osbert's manor, which was separated by
Roger Fitz-Peter Fitz-Osbert, who settled half a fee here, on Sarah
his first wife, and her heirs; she was heiress of Sir Bartholomew de
Creke, Knt. son of Sir Robert de Creke, lord of North-Creke in Norfolk, and died in 1285, and Sir John de Thorp of Ashwellthorp,
Knt. was one of her cousins and heirs, and had this allotted to his
share, and obtained liberty of free-warren to it of Edw. I. and in 1314
he settled it on himself and Alice his wife, in tail; and in 1324, they
held it of Bainard's manor by the service of 5s. a year, and the rents
were then 3l. 10s. per annum, and Robert de Thorp, his son and heir,
was 30 years old, and lady Beatrix, widow of the said Robert, held
the third part in dower, and from this time it constantly attended
It was settled by Sir Edmund de Thorp, senior, on Thomas de
Thorp, his second son, with remainder to Sir Edmund Thorp, Knt.
his eldest son. In 1406, Sir Thomas Jernegan had it, and had a
charter of confirmation of free-warren; (fn. 16) in 1414, Sir Thomas de
Thorp ordered it to be sold or to go with Eliz. his daughter. In 1550,
James Downes and Elizabeth his wife had it, when Roger Woodhouse,
Robert Richers, Thomas Asteley, and Mary his wife, conveyed divers
parts of it to him; in 1272, Robert Downes was lord, who joined it to
his manor of Beacham's or Beauchamp's in Wimondham, with
which it still remains.
There was an ancient family sirnamed De Bonewell, for in
1268, William, son of Jeffery, son of Richer de Bonewell, gave to
Miles, prior of Lewes, a rent of 2s. 6d. out of his lands in Bonewell,
by deed dated at Bukenham castle, in the presence of Richard de
Purl, constable of that castle, and others. They continued a long
time in the neighbourhood, for in 1482, William, son and heir of
Richard Bonewell of Carleton-Rode, conveyed to Thomas Chamberlain, Gent. and others, divers lands in Carleton-Rode.