Properly called Straton, Stratum, the paved high-way, or
street, it being the direct road that led to the neighbouring Roman
burgh or fortification ad Taüm, now called Taseburgh, and thence
to their station, castrum, or camp, called Castre. In those early
times, the whole of the three villages or parishes, that pass now by
this name, was one only, and afterwards was often called Estratuna,
the street at the eè or water, which now parts this from Taseburgh; it
is commonly called Long-Stratton, the bounds being so large, and
the stratum aforesaid running in a straight line such a long way
It originally belonged to the East-Anglian kings, and the superiour
jurisdiction over the whole remained in the Crown, till the Conqueror
gave it to Alan Earl of Richmond, who held it at the survey, and it
hath ever since attended the honour of Richmond, and belongs to it
at this day. (fn. 1)
The whole was then 4 miles and three furlongs in length, and 2
miles and 4 furlongs in breadth, and paid 25d. to the geld or tax.
The Earl had 8 freemen that held 100 acres of land or pasture, one
carucate or plough tilth, and one acre of meadow, which were valued
with, and esteemed part of his manor of Cossey; and 17 freemen,
3 villeins, 5 bordars, 7 socmen, and the fifth part of a mill, that belonged and were subject to his jurisdiction here; the honour held two
turns or superiour letes in every year, to which all the tenants of the
other manors, were obliged to do suit and service, as well as to the
three several letes belonging to the three capital manors, of the
three different parishes. And very anciently there was a weekly
market held here, belonging to Richmond honour, but upon some
disputes between the lord of Stratton-Hall, and the lessee of the
honour, just before the Reformation, the market, as having no peculiar justification for holding it, was totally disused, and hath been
so to this day. In 1435, John Duke of Bedford, lord of Swaffham
and of the honour of Richmond, died seized of the superiour court
here, called the Honour's turn, and the style of it was thus, the
Turn and general Court of the King's Honour of Richmond,
held at Stratton 30 of April 1644, when a church-warden and
four men out of each parish, appeared to do the suit and service for
the several parishes of Stratton, Moringthorp, Carleton, Tibenham,
Moulton, Waketon, Taseburgh, Freton, Keckleton in Forncet, and Bunwell; in all which places it appears, that the honour had letes and
royalties over the commons, and superiour jurisdiction over the several
Sigebert King of the East-Angles, on his erection of the bishoprick, gave the southern part of the town to Felix, the first Bishop of
the East-Angles, and so it became part of the bishoprick; and in the
Confessor's time, Bishop Ailmer held it as such, (fn. 2) when there were
2 carucates in demean, 7 villeins, 6 bordars and an half, (that is, half
the services of one bordar,) 26 socmen, and 12 freemen, whose rents
and services were valued at 20s. per annum; and at the Conquest,
Walter the Deacon, and one Ralf, held it of the bishoprick, in
right of which they had a lete, the half of which belonged to them,
and the other half, to the King and the Earl; and the whole of the
profits of this manor, was then worth 6l. per annum. The motherchurch of St. Mary the Virgin, always belonged to it, which was probably founded by one of the Bishops that owned it, and that before
Ailmar's time; and the successours of this Ralf owned the part
which afterwards was called Stratton-Hall manor, and was held of
the barony of the bishoprick of Norwich, till that was taken from the
see by Henry VIII. and annexed to the Crown, and since it is held of
the Crown in right of that ancient barony.
That part called Stratton St. Miles, or St. Michael's, was held by
the Confessor till he gave it one of his thanes or noblemen, who had 2
carucates in demean; (fn. 3) this manor had 17 bordars and 7 freemen, and
was worth 30s. per annum. It was risen to 40s. value at the Conquest,
and a lete belonged to it; when Robert son of Corbutio, or FitzCorbun, held it, and infeoffed it in one Hunfrid or Humfry, the
ancestor of the family afterwards sirnamed De Straton, lords of the
manors here afterwards called Ree's and Welholme's, which last
was a part of the former, granted off by the Strattons; and though
they extended into the other parts, laid chiefly in Stratton St.
Michael's; the church of which, in all probability, was first founded
by Hunfrid aforesaid, and the advowson attended the manor.
The third part belonged to the Crown, till the Conqueror gave it
to Roger Bigot, who added one small part of it to his manor of
Forncet, to which the advowson of Stratton St. Peter always belonged;
so that it is likely, this Earl was founder of that church: but the chief
part he granted off, and that had the lete of all its tenants, and was
afterwards called Saye's, or the manor of Stratton St. Peter.
There was a small part that belonged to the Abbot of Bury's manor of
Moringthorp, (fn. 4) and another to St. Etheldred's manor of Pulham, (fn. 5) which
belonged to Ely monastery and see.
The manors called Sturmyn's and Snapehall, were first severed
from Stratton-Hall, into which they fell again, and there continue.
And thus having fixed the origin of the several manors and parishes,
I shall treat of them in their order; and first of
Stratton-Hall, or Stratton St. Mary's Manor,
Belonged to Philip Malherbe, who was succeeded by Bartholomew his son, one of the lords of Tacolneston; (fn. 6) and in Richard the
First's time, was held by Richard Malherbe at one knight's fee, of the
Bishop of Norwich, as of the barony of the see. Rog. Malherbe, who
lived at Tacolneston, (fn. 7) and was a benefactor to Windham abbey, (fn. 8) died
seized of it, and it went with one of his daughters and heiresses, to
Gilbert de Bourne, who occurs lord and patron about 1273,
and came and settled here; and in 1285, was returned as a gentleman
of estate, that was much above age, and ought to have been knighted,
but had not yet taken up that honour, for which he was fined; in 1286,
this Gilbert had free-warren allowed him, weyf, and view of frankpledge, (fn. 9) over all his tenants, with the assise of bread and ale, on condition, that the King's bailiff was always present at the lete, to see that
none but the tenants of the manor did suit there; he had also a fair
allowed him to be kept once a year on the day of the Assumption of
the blessed Virgin Mary, viz. Aug. 15. This fair was first granted
by King John, (fn. 10) in the year 1207, to Roger de Stratton, who gave that
King one good palfrey to have his charter for liberty to hold a fair
yearly for two days, viz. on the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, and
the day after, at his manor of Stratton; but it is to be observed,
that he was lord of Saye's manor here, and that Bourne purchased the
liberty from it, and added it to this manor; it was kept in a close
opposite to the west part of the churchyard, which is still called the
fair-lond, or land, but it hath been disused many years. In 1291,
there was a suit between Robert Sturmy and John Say, and Gilbert
de Bourne and Elizabeth his wife, and others, about the liberties of
their manors, and of a way leading to the market and mill. In 1315,
Roger de Bourne was lord; and in 1325, Ralf Malherbe and Elizabeth his wife claimed the manor against Roger son of Gilbert de
Bourne, and made out their title under their claim, so well, that Roger
settled an annuity of 40l. on them during their lives, for their release.
In 1331, he was a knight, and was succeeded by Sir Nic. de Bourne,
Knt. who in 1348, having no sons, settled all his estate on his trustees,
Sir Tho. Jenney, Sir Tho. Savage, Robert de Welholm, Robert and
Thomas de Bumpstede, John Snoring, and Roger de Dersingham; it
seems that Murgery, one of the daughters and heiresses of Sir Nic.
Bourne, was first wife to
John de Herling, (fn. 11) and that when the said John married Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Jenney, this settlement was made; for
in 1366, Elizabeth daughter of Sir Nicholas Bourne released to John
de Herling all her right in this manor and advowson, and in the advowson of Waketon St. Mary, and in all the Bournes estates in Waketon, Taseburgh, Moringthorp, Moulton, &c. reserving an annuity of
20 marks to Robert Mortimer and Margaret his wife, who seems to
have been widow of Sir Nicholas de Bourne, remarried to Mortimer.
He died seized of this and Sturmin's (fn. 12) and Snape-hall manors here;
and from this time, it passed with the manor of East-Herling, as you
may see in vol. i. p. 820, 21, till it came to the Bedingfields of
Oxburgh, by the marriage of
Sir Edmund (fn. 13) Bedingfield, with Margaret daughter of Sir
Robert de Tudenham, and it continued in that family, (fn. 14) till Sir Henry
Bedingfield, (fn. 15) sold it to
Sir Edmund Reeve, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas,
who was preferred to that high station March 14, 1638, and died
March 27, 1647, and having no issue, left his estate to Augustine
Reeve, his brother, and he to his son, Mr. Henry Reeve of Brakendale,
who sold the manors, &c. to
John son of John Mallom of Booton in Norfolk, clerk, at whose
death they descended to John Mallom of Wackton-Magna, who left
them to John Mallom of Wackton, Esq. the present lord.
But the patronage of Stratton St. Mary, which was appendant to
this manor, was sold by the present lord and his father, to Caius
college in Cambridge, who are now patrons.
The lete is held annually, at which the constables for Stratton St.
Mary are always chosen, and the lete-fee paid to the lord is 8d. The
customs of this manor, as well as those of the manors of Sturmer's,
or Sturmin's, Snape-hall, Welham's or Welholme's, and Reese's, all
which are now held with this manor, are the same, viz. all lands and
tenements descend to the eldest son, the fines are arbitrary, and they
give now dower.
The manor-house called Stratton-hall, and the demeans, were not
sold with the manors but are now the estate of John Houghton of
The church of St. Mary, commonly in old evidences called
Stratton cum Turri, viz. Stratton with the Steeple, (by which it
should seem, that anciently the other two churches had none,) was
in the patronage of Gilbert de Bourne, when Norwich Domesday was
wrote, the rector had a house and 40 acres of glebe, now increased to
50, and paid then as it doth now, 2s. 3d. synodals, and 7s. 7d. ob.
procurations; besides 11d. Peter-pence, and 6d. carvage. In 1612,
return was made, that a yearly pension of 50s. was paid on Michaelmas day by the rector here, to the rector of Stratton St. Michael,
which is now duly paid. The rectory was valued first at 14, and
after at 20 marks, and stands now thus in the King's Books:
10l. Stratton Longa Mariæ R. 1l. tenths.
and being undischarged, it pays first-fruits and yearly tenths, and is
not capable of augmentation.
1293, Master Thomas de Bourne. Gilbert de Bourne.
1319, Ric. de Bourne. Roger de Bourne.
1332, Rob. Balle. Sir Roger de Bourne, Knt.
1349, Tho. Caroun. Sir Tho. Jenney, Knt. Rob. de Welham,
Rob. de Bumpstede, and Rog. de Dersingham.
1361, Will. Armory; he was buried in the choir of the collegiate
church of St. Mary in the Fields in Norwich, as in vol. iv. p. 613.
Tho. Savage, Knt. Tho. Bumpstede, and John Snoring.
1381, Robert de Swaffham-Bulbek; he was buried under an altar
tomb on the north side of the chancel in 1401, which hath now lost
all its brasses. John Herling.
1401, John Bakere. Cecily, relict of Sir John de Herling, Knt.
1420, Ric. Woodward, resigned. Sir Rob. de Herling, Knt.
1427, Tho. Cove, res. John Kirtling, clerk, Robert Palegrave, and John Intwood, feoffees of Sir Robert.
1434, John Bulman. John Fitz-Rauf, and other the feoffees of
Sir Robert. He was succeeded by
John Clerk, on whose resignation in
1449, Will. Furnizal was presented by Sir Robert Chambernain, Knt. and when he resigned in 1456, that knight gave it to
Edmund Cross, who died in 1471, and was buried in the
church before. St. Mary's image, and gave a good missal, 3l. 10s. to
buy a cross, and his tenement late Skot's in this town to the profit of
the town. In
1469, Edmund Savage, priest, who was parish chaplain under
rector Crosse, and served at the altar of St. John the Baptist in his
chapel, at the east end of the north isle, and at St. Thomas's altar at
the east end of the south isle, where he was buried, gave two altar
cloths to lie over those altars, and a legacy to find a light to be set on
his grave at high-mass, and three cruets to the three altars in the
1472, Will. Petyclerk. Sir Robert Wingfield, Knt. and Anne
his wife. At his death
John Pike had it, and in
1498, Sir John Person. Margaret, relict of Sir Edmund Bedingfield, Knt. at his death in 1529, Sir Thomas Bedingfield, Knt. gave
Ric. Milgate, on whose death in 1547, Sir Edmund Bedingfield, Knt. presented
John Rutter, who was deprived by Queen Mary for being
married in 1554, and Sir Henry Bedingfield, Knt. presented
Tho. Helperby, and in
1555, George Leedes; at whose resignation
John Rutter had it again, and died in June 1659, and was
buried here, and
Ric. Gawton succeeded; he was presented by Ralf Shelton, Esq. assignee of Sir Henry Bedingfield. At his resignation in
1576, Sir Henry gave it to
John Taylor, A. B. who in 1603, returned answer, that he
had in the parish 180 communicants. He died in 1636, and
Tho. Carver had it, of Tho. Carver, who had a grant of
the turn from Sir Henry Bedingfield, Knt. at his death in 1638,
Edmund Reeve, serjeant at law, presented
John Reeve; he took the covenant, and died June 24, 1657,
1660, Christopher Reeve, his son, was presented by Austin Reve of
Bracondale, and held it afterwards united to St. Miles, and Olton in
Suffolk, of which the Judge was patron, as well as of Stratton, and
died rector there as well as of Stratton, Aug. the 14th, 1701, in which
The Rev. Mr. John Soley, the present rector, who holds it united
to Wackton-Magna, was presented by Mary Brame, widow,
patroness of the turn only.
The Prior of Thetford monks, was taxed at 12s. to each tenth,
for his temporals here. The Abbot of Langley for his at 6d. The
Prior of Norwich at 16d. 0b. and the whole parish paid clear to
each tenth, without the taxation of the religious aforesaid, 6l. 10s.
There were two gilds here, the most ancient one was held in honour of St. John the Baptist, and their priest officiated in his chapel
at the east end of the north isle, by the grave of Sir Roger de Bourne,
the founder; he was daily to pray for the souls of Sir Roger de
Bourne, Knt. and all his family, and for the souls of all the deceased
brethren and sisters of St. John's gild, and for the welfare of all the
living members of that gild; this was endowed with a house called
the Gild-hall, (fn. 16) and half an acre of ground thereto belonging in
Stratton, (upon which a little house is built; it was gild-land, and
lately purchased for a dwelling-house for a dissenting teacher,) which
being copyhold of Forncet manor, was seized by the lord at the Dissolution, and granted to be held by copy of court-roll; it was given
in Henry the Seventh's time by Robert Barnard.
The other was dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin and St. Thomas;
the office for the members of this gild was performed at St. Thomas's
altar, at the east end of the south isle,
And both held their merry-meetings and feasts, in the same gildhouse or hall.
In this parish also, was an anchorage of ancient foundation, with a
small chapel or oratory adjoining; (fn. 17) in 1256, William de Suffield,
alias Calthorp, Bishop of Norwich, gave a legacy to the anchorite
here, as in vol. iii. p. 489; and at the Dissolution the chapel was
granted from the Crown into private hands.
Here is an estate of 20l. per annum settled on the rector of St.
Edmund in Norwich, as at vol. iv. p. 405.
Sturmyn's, or Sturmer's Manor,
Was so called from Robert le Sturmy of Stratton, who had a
grant of it from the Malherbes; and William le Sturmy, Knt. his son, (fn. 18)
was lord of it in 1262, and held it at one fee of the Bishop of Norwich; and in 1285, he had a lete, and assize of bread and ale of all
tenants, allowed in eire. In 1291, Will. le Sturmy had it; and after
him Sir John de Sturmyn, who in 1327, obtained of King Edw. II. a
charter for free-warren, for all his lands here, and in Moringthorp,
Freton, and Tharston. Lady Mary Stourmyn, his mother, held it some
time. In 1342, John Sturmy held it by 6d. a year paid to the Bishop;
and in 1345, Robert his son had it, by whom it was sold to the lord of
Stratton-hall manor, and hath passed with it ever since; the manorhouse is down, the site is enclosed with a moat, and is now called
Was another part of the capital manor, granted to the family of the
Snapes, (fn. 19) and was in 1307, in the hands of Stephen de Biockdish; it
had then a house and 60 acres of demean land, quitrents to the value
of 3l. 8s. 8d. and was held of the honour of Richmond, at 19d. per
annum rent: he left it to Reginald de Brokedish, his son and heir,
and in 1339, it was conveyed by John Hardele and Alice his wife, and
Rob. Bokenham, parson of Hardwich, to Sir John le Sturmyn and Maud
his wife, and their heirs; and so it was joined to Sturmer's manor,
and with that fell into Stratton-hall manor, and there continues.
The town is a small, but compact village, and hath a good publickhouse or two, for the reception of travellers; its standing on the road
from Ipswich to Norwich makes it pretty much frequented; the justices
of the peace for this division generally meet here, and have done so
very anciently, for in 1380, the justices and country gentlemen, in
the time of the insurrection, met here to consult what was best to be
done for the King's service and country's safety, as at p. 108, vol. iii.
St. Mary's church, hath a round steeple 54 feet high, with a
small spire on its top, against which the clock-bell hangs, on the outside; there are now five bells, on one of which I read this,
Nos Societ Sanctis semper Nicolaus in altis.
The steeple is a much older building than the church, the present
fabrick (fn. 20) of which, was built chief by Sir Rog. de Bourne, Knt. lord and
patron, about 1330, and the chancel by Rich. de Bourne his brother,
then rector here; and it seems as if one John or James de Bourne,
glazed the clerestories or lights in the nave, for J. B. in old capitals,
remains still in several windows there, as do the arms of Bourne
in the east chancel window, viz.
Arg. a chevron gul. between three lions rampant sab.
And in the north window of the Baptist's chapel, at the upper end of
the north isle, which Sir Roger built for his own burial-place, is this
now broken inscription,
ORATE. PRO. AIA'. RO[G]--. ORNE. --TIS.
(Orate pro anima Rogeri de Borne, militis, &c.)
His stone is robbed of its inscription, circumscription, arms, and
effigies, and nothing remains thereon, save two brass effigies of corses
looking out of their winding sheets; at the altar here, the gild-chaplain
of St. John celebrated mass for his soul, and the souls of his family;
many of whom are interred in this chapel and chancel.
The south porch, two isles, nave, and north vestry, which is now
used as a school-house, are all leaded, as is the east part of the chancel, the western part of which is thatched.
In the south Isle I find nothing, save these words on the poors' box,
which siands at the south door, The Gift of John Machet.
In the north isle is a stone for Hannah Wife of Thomas Park Gent.
April 29, 1709.
Anne Dr. of John & Ann Browne, March 22, 1716.
On a brass plate at the east end of the nave,
Orate pro animabus Johnnis Smith. et Margeir wroris eius
qui Johnnes Obiit rbiiio die Mensis Febru' Ao Oni: Moccco
lrrir. quorum animabus propicietnr Deus Amen.
Weever, fo. 814, gives us these two, which are now lost:
Orate pro animabus Johannis Bocher et Margarete Uroris eius
quorum animabus tc.
Orate pro anima Thome Drake qui obiit Ao Dni. Moccccolrrrr.
At the east end of the chancel against the north wall, is erected a very
sumptuous monument, on the altar part of which are the cumbent
effigies of Judge Reve and his lady, in their proper proportions and
habits; he in his judge's robes, with a roll in one hand, and the other
under his head; she, with a book in her left hand, and her head supported by two cushions.
Crest, on a wreath O. B. two wings conjoined of the 1st.
Reve, az. a chevron between three pair of wings conjoined and
elevated or, impaling sab. on a chevron between three griffins heads
erased or, three stars of six points gul.
D. EDMVNDUS REVE,
Non Ordinis Equestris, Trabeæque Judicis, auctus est Honoribus,
quos, eminente Dignitate, ac eruditione Syncera, fecerit ad altiores
Gradus ascendere Virtutis, ad istos ipse non ascenderat.
In Templo Pietati devotissimus, in Aulâ conspicuus, et Officiosè
Prudens; In Foro, Gravitate perspicax, Palam in obvios humanus
et humilis, in Familiâ placidè liberalis, apud Mensam hopitio munificus, in Conclavi, studio deditus & Theologiæ, in Republicâ turbulentâ tranquillè pacificus, in Concubitû Castitate Reverendus,
Sanctitate venerandus in Occubitû.
Unicè Regi dilectus, ob Fidem exploratissimæ probitatis Palamento
compertus, heroicâ magnanimitate colendus, a Proceribus, a Plebe,
celebrandus Æquitate judicandi, Sanctimoniâ, Clero suspieiendus
ad Exemplar, Integritate summâ. Populo commendandus, â Locupletibus habitus in Pretio, quod Res eorum partas assererat, ab
Egenis, in precibus, quod suas erogaret.
Perterrefacere non potuit Insolentiâ Vulgi, nec allicere valuerunt
Aulæ Lenocinia, quo communia placita desereret, (uti alij) neque
furiarum tot millia civilium Gladijs strictis Efficere, Justitiæ Gladium exuere, sed ejus operâ (pennis Hastæ dum frustrà minantur)
inter arma, non siluere leges.
Pauperibus æquè ac Divitibus, eâdem manû nunquam fatigatâ,
Bilancem ostendit in Equilibrio, Pondera deinceps imposuit, reposuitque ad Sacoma dextrâ candidissimâ, in Examen oculum intendit
irretortum, utsi vel tantillum alterutrinque declinaret, aspiceret,
Expertoq; Digito, si Funiculorum Nodis, quid implicaretur, explicaret, Jocantis Oris ac innocui, spiritu penetrante pulvisculum, è
Lancibus excussit in Æqualem; ut nemo de summo Jure conqueri
potuerit unquam aut remissius iniquo;
Ex Itinerantibus optatissimis Ille, Qui Jus è postliminio receptum,
inter Ruricolas instauravit, et Diutino Justitio pridem exulantes
redintegravit Assisas; Curiam Astræa Westinonasterij solum habuit, per estiva Solennia peregrè non est profecta, Cæterùm priusquam Surriæ Circuitum absolvisset, Ægrotus ad Londmum reversus,
ad ultimum indè Judicium avocatus est, eodemque Die, Qui vicesimi tertij Caroli reclusit initium (Martij 27° Ao 1647) Diem
clausit extremum, somno consopitus immortali; Cui superstes Uxor
Dna' MARIA REVE, Cubile meditabunda secum (uti voluerit)
adornavit, ubi conquiesceret ipsa, cùm advenerit Hora (Capite
nutante) simul obdormiendi.
She died March 12, 1657, and was interred in the same vault with her.
husband under this monument.
On the opposite south wall, is a monument with Reve's arms, erected
to the memory of
Thomas Reve Esq; Oct. 1, 1663, æt. 69. Thomas his eldest son,
26 Nov. 1656, æt. 20. John Reve his youngest son Apr. 13, 1660,
On a black marble in the altar,
Hic jacet Johannes Reve Norf. A.M. Canonicè Ordinatus
Presbyter, vir omnigenâ Eruditione apprime instructus, Exemplari
pietate perquam ornatus, summisque Virtutibus eminenter præclarus, hujus Ecclesiæ Pastor Fidelissimus, ubi cum novemdecim Annis
munere ministrali indefesse functus esset, terrenam hanc vitam
Anno Ætatis suæ quadragesimo nono Febr. Die decimo, et Anno
Domini Mill: sexcent: quinquag: Octavo, pro Cœlesti Gloriâ commutavit.
The following persons are buried under divers marbles in the
Mrs. Eliz. Keene Widow, Dr. of Augustine Reve of Bracondale
near Norwich Esq; Jan: 21, 1710, æt. 79.
Anne Houghton, sole Dr. and Heir of Henry Reve of Bracondale, who married the eldest son of John Houghton of Bramerton Esq; and left issue only one Son John, ob, 6 May 1705.
Rob. Houghton Esq; ob: 1 Dec. 1715, æt. 36.
Houghton, arg. on a bend sab. three eagles displayed or, impaling Reve.
Ric. Reve 1727. John Reve Father of Rector Reve, 1658.
1611, 28 Feb. William, second son of Robert Dawes of LongStratton, had a grant of arms from Cambden, of arg. on a bend wavy
az. three swans of the field. Crest, a serpent vert, stuck on a
halberd's point embrued arg. (fn. 21)
Alexander Blithe of this parish, descended from a family in
Devonshire of that name, bare,
Or, a chief indented sab.
He married Isabel, daughter and coheir of John Jermyn, by whom
he had John, William, and Ralf, who all died without issue; and
Alice, their sister and heiress, married to John Gresham of Holt, father
of Sir Richard Gresham, &c.
Thé Rev. Mr. John Soley, rector here, bears
Gul. a bend ingrailed or, and three salmons naiant in bend
Eliz. Baspool gave 1l. 6s. to be given weekly in bread at the
church, to the poor, for ever, and tied all her lands in Stratton for
payment thereof, now the estate of Mr. Joseph Cotman of Great
John Roope gave 1l. 6s. to be paid yearly out of the ale-house
called the Swan in Stratton St. Mary, which he tied for payment
thereof, on condition the said premises be not rated to any tax above
13l. per annum, otherwise the gift to cease; it is given in bread at
church, as the other.
Thomas Pudding gave 12s. yearly to the poor, till 10l. be paid to
the church-wardens, and tied his estate, now in possession of William
Booty for it, lying in Stratton St. Michael.
William Pudding gave 12s. yearly, issuing out of Will. Booty's
estate, till 10l be paid to the church-wardens for the use of the poor.
Half an acre of ground with four cottages thereon built, now inhabited by the poor, were given by Nic. Porter and Tho. Stanton, in James the First's time.
Eliz. Keene, widow, daughter of Augustine Reve, and neice to
the Judge, by will gave 2l. 10s. yearly to be laid out in blue gowns for
the poor of Stratton St. Mary, during the life of her nephew, John
Houghton of Bramerton, Esq.
The church of Stratton St. Peter, always belonged to Forncet
manor, and was founded by Roger Bigot, about the Conquest, in all
appearance. In 1195, by fine then levied, Will. de Stratton, as trustee
settled it on Gundred the Countess for life, remainder to Rog. le Bygod
and his heirs for ever. It was valued at five, afterwards at six marks,
and paid, as it doth now, 5s. procurations, 18d. synodals, 3d. ob. Peterpence, and 5d. carvage.
1302, John de Spanneby. Roger le Bygod Earl of Norfolk and
1317, Rob. de Davintre. Thomas Earl of Norfolk and Marshal.
1322, Philip Blanchfront, who resigned in
1325, to Philip Mylis. Ditto.
1326, Master Robert de Cantuaria; (fn. 22) he held it with Lopham, and
1327, to Thomas Ferthing. Tho. Brotherton, the King's son,
Earl of Norfolk, and Marshal, as before.
1322, Master Tho. de Abingdon Ditto.
1337, Roger de Leycester. Ditto.
1347, John de Radeclyve. Sir John Segrave, Knt.
1349, Will. de London. Ditto.
1351, Henry White; he was buried here in 1378, and
William at Hille succeeded. Margaret Countess-Marshal,
and Lady Segrave.
Godfry, son of Walter Mayster, resigned in
1416, to John Wetherpen, in exchange with Langham-Parva. Sir
Gerard Usflet, Knt. this turn in right of Forncet manor, which
he hath as the dower of Eliz. Dutchess of Norfolk, his wife. He
changed for Threkeby in
1419, with Will. Hernald of Corpusty. John Lancaster and
Robert Southwell, Esqrs. attorneys - general to John EarlMarshal, Notingham, &c. he being in foreign parts.
John Gourle resigned in 1439, and John Duke of Norfolk
gave it to
Ric. Feket, and in
1444, to Thomas Martin, who was the last rector here, for at his
death, it was consolidated Sept. 10, 1449, to the church of Stratton
St. Michael, which stands not above a bow-shot distant from it; and
it was agreed, that as a recompense for this patronage, St. Mary's
alias Winchester college in Oxford, should present two turns, and
the Duke of Norfolk every third turn, and that St. Peter's should exist
as a separate parish still, and the rector should serve in each church
every Sunday; and it continued so till the Dissolution, when being
returned as a chapel only, it was totally demolished, and was laid to
St. Michael's parish, and hath continued as part of it ever since; and
nothing is to be seen of the church, but the foundations level with the
ground, which show that it was a small huilding. The site is still
called St. Peter's Churchyard.
Belonged to, and laid chiefly in, this parish, and was granted from
the other part of the parish, and the advowson, by the By gods,
lords of Forncet, to William de Say, whose second son Jeffery
had it, and held it at a quarter of a fee; he died in 1214, and left
it to Jeffery de Say, called the younger, who married Alice daughter
and coheiress of John de Cheyney, one of the founders of Coxford
monastery; and by her had William de Say the elder, who died seized
in 1271, and it went to Sibill his widow, who married Robert de Ufford,
who in 1274, was in her right lord here; William de Say, junior, was
the son and heir, but the younger son John de Say, had this manor,
and in 1285, had a lete, view of frankpledge, and the assise of bread
and ale over all his tenants in Stratton, and was returned to hold it at a
quarter of a fee of the lord of Forncet, who held it of the Earl of Gloucester as of Clare honour; I find him lord in 1291, but in 1296, Jeffery
son and heir of Will. de Say, junior, owned it, and was a minor in the
custody of Henry de Leybourne, who married him to Idonea, daughter
of William de Leybourne, his brother. The rents of this manor were
46s. 6d. per annum, and Mary de Say, relict of his uncle John, who
died without issue, had her dower in it. Jeffery died in 1321, but
before his death in 1317, he confirmed an agreement made by John
de Say, his uncle, as to this manor, and conveyed it by fine to
John de Holveston and Joan his wife, who afterwards held it
of the Lord Say, &c. In 1342, Joan widow of John de Holveston
settled it on James de Holveston and Alice his wife, remainder to
Gilbert de Fraunsham and Agnes daughter of James de Holveston;
and in 1401, Geffry de Fraunsham held it of the Lord Say, he of the
Earl of March, &c. In 1414, William son of Balderic of Taverham,
Richard Pygot and his feoffees, all his purparty of Saye's manor
in Long-Stratton, and it continued in the Pygots till it passed with
Anne daughter and coheir of Thomas Pygot of Stirston, to
Robert Barnard of Norwich, Esq. her husband; she settled it
by will, on Sir Robert Southwell, and other feoffees, to find a priest
to sing for their souls in the Black-friars church in Norwich, where
they are buried, at their tomb, which is now standing, and was lately
used for St. George's company to meet at; see vol. iv. p. 339. They
left two daughters coheirs; Eleanor, married to Christopher Calthorp
of Cockthorp, Esq. and Elizabeth, to John Legge, and this was assigned to Legge in 1511, and Calthorp had Stirston manor, and a rent
charge of 1l. 6s. out of this, which Sir James Calthorp and his son
Christopher sold to Will. Machet of Moulton, clerk, who had purchased this manor of John Legge and Eliz. his wife; and in 1539, Sir
John Shelton, Knt. was lord, and settled it on Anne his wife for life,
and then to John Shelton, Esq. his son, for 60 years, and after that
on Ralf Shelton his cousin, who was lord in 1570; he it was that manumised the whole, sold the rents to the several tenants, and the demeans to Nicholas Porter; and so the manor and lete also, extinguished
for want of tenants. The site came after to the Cullyers, and Abigail
Norris, widow of Berton Tuft, sold it to the Rev. Mr. Tho. Howes,
rector of Moringthorp, who now owns it, and the demeans called
Stratton St. Michael.
This rectory was given by Walter Giffard to the priory of Longevile in Normandy, with Weston and Wichingham in Eynsford hundred; the rector had then a house and 10 acres of glebe, and now
there are 28 acres and an half in 31 pieces, lying about the town.
The parsonage-house joins to the south-east part of the churchyard,
and the east part of it (as I am informed) is copyhold of Ree's manor,
and belongs to a farm adjoining to the east part of the parsonagehouse, now owned by Thomas Howes, clerk. It was valued without
the portion, at 8 marks, and paid 10s. 8d. tenths, and the rector paid
a portion of 13s. 4d. per annum to the prior of Longaville, which is
now paid to New College in Oxford, who had the patronage from
William of Wickham, their founder, by grant from the King, it being
vested in the Crown, as belonging to a dissolved alien priory. It
stands in the present Valor by a false name, thus,
6l. 12s. 8d. ob. Stratton Omnium Sanctorum R. 13s. 3d. q. tenths,
and I suppose came to be fixed so, because anciently the church is
called St. Michael and All-Saints; but strange it is, that the names
both of St. Peter and St. Michael (by which only, this rectory is
known) should be omitted: as it is not discharged, it is incapable of
augmentation. It paid 4d. carvage and 7d. Peter-pence; and as it
now doth, 1s. 10d. synodals, and 6s. 8d. procurations; and for St.
Peter, 5s. procurations, and 1s. 6d. synodals; in all 15s.
The church is 25 yards long and 7 broad, it hath a square tower
and two bells, (fn. 23) the south porch is tiled, the nave and chancel
thatched, the last of which was built by John Cowall, rector here
in 1487; he lies buried in the middle of the chancel, with this on a
brass plate now loose,
Orate pro anima Johannis Cowall quondam Rectoris istius
Ecclesie qui istam Cancellam de Nove fieri fecit Ao Domini Mo
ccccolrrrviio et pro quibus tenetur. (sc. orare.) (fn. 24)
But though he built the chancel in 1487, he continued rector till
1509; his will is in Register Spyltimer, fo. 225, in which is this;
"Also my house in the street called Pepyrs, I wol the state ther of,
with all the Lands ther of, shall remayne in the handys of feoffeys,
and in the Attorneys of them, to my Parishiners beholfe, in excusing
of tenths and tallage, when it fallyth, and the overplus to the reparation of the churchys of St. Michael and St. Peter in the sayd
town, evermore; seen, that the cunstabyll and the church-wardynnys,
shall let it, and repare it, with the ferme of it; and the residewe of
the ferme, I wol yt remayne in the handys of the said constabyll
and wardeyns, and yerly they make acounte before all the parishe,
and they to excuse the rent of it to the lordys of the fee." This
house, with about 12 acres of land, part copy and part free, is now in
feoffees hands; and is worth about 10l. per annum, and the churchwardens receive the rent, and apply it as it ought to be, to repair the
church, since the taxes of tenths and tallages are ceased. He was
also a benefactor to the gild of St. Anne, which was kept in this
The nave was finished in 1440, for then Ric. Havell's legacy towards
finishing the new church roof, was paid.
There was another brass plate in the chancel, now lost for Ric.
Vynne, Jan. 26, 1626, aged 76. I find that Mr. Layer Vynne was
curate here some time.
There is an altar tomb in the churchyard on the south side, for
Will. Weddall, Gent. 1730, and Mary his wife, who was daughter of
The rector of Moringthorp, pays a yearly pension of 18s. to the
rector here, on Lammas day, for exchange of tithes, as mentioned in
Rectors Of St. Michael.
1278, Rob. le Blake.
1314, Gilbert de Chelmeresford. Prior and Convent of Longavill, Giffard of the order of Chiny in Roan diocese in Normandy in
France, by brother Will. de Talaya, their proctor-general, legally
deputed to present to all their benences in England.
1333, Will. Power, sub-deacon. Brother William de Tonolio,
1334, Humfry de Wakefield, who in 1339, exchanged it for Kingston in Winchester diocese with
Robert de Monte of Litchfield, who in 1347, changed it for
Chickney in London diocese, with
Ric. Merkaunt, who was presented by the King, the Prior of
Newenton Longaville's lands being seized into his hands, on account
of the war with France. In 1449, Merkaunt changed it for Hertlegh
in Rochester diocese, with
John Wrotham, shaveling, on whose resignation in
1352, Ric. Reyner had it, and both were presented by the King.
In 1361, the Proctor of the priory, presented
John de Donyngton, who changed for Culford in Suffolk in
Will. de Lovetoft, and had it of the gift of Sir Nic. de Tamworth, Knt. lord of Culford, who had the turn of the King; but the
next year they rechanged, and the King gave it to Donyngton.
The eight following rectors were all presented by the Crown:
1376, John Dynne.
1377, John Browne.
1384, Thomas Verdon, in exchange for Wickhampton.
1385, Will. Bekford.
1386, Mat. Salle
1391, John Snape, buried here in 1420, and
Rob. Mere succeeded, and died in 1438, in which year
Will. Stele was instituted, and died also. In
1439, John Rote had it of the gift of Sir Ralf Rochford, Knt.
and being granted from the Crown, it was settled on the custos and
scholars of St. Mary alias Winchester College in Oxford, at the request of the founder, and in 1449, was consolidated to St. Peter's as
before; and ever since New College hath two turns, and the
Duke of Norfolk the third; but the perpetual advowson of that
third turn is now sold to John Soley, clerk, rector of Stratton St.
Rectors of Stratton St. Michael and St. Peter.
At Rote's death in 1479, the college presented
John Byrkys, and at his death the same year,
John Cowall; and at his death in 1509, Thomas Earl of Surrey,
gave it to
Sir Rob. Browning, his chaplain, who was succeeded by
Will. Rownam, by lapse, who died in 1537, and
John London, LL. D. master of the college, gave it to
Henry Kele, and at his death in
1541, to Robert Stevens. In
1562, Sir John Stevens was presented by Thomas Duke of Norfolk.
1596, William Thorn, S. T. B. Martin Culpepper, M. D.
custos, &c. he resigned, and in
1600, George Ryves, custos, &c. gave it to
Anthony Combe, fellow of the college, who returned answer,
that here were 91 communicants. On whose resignation in
1610, John Cole, assignee of the Earl of Northampton, gave it to
Peter Raye, who had it united to Starston; he was succeeded in
1629, by John Merewether, who held it united to Taseburgh, from
both which he was ejected by the Earl of Manchester's scandalous
committee, and one
Cooke was put in, "being a godly man," to preach, and had
5s. a Sunday allowed him by the sequestrators, out of the tithes, and
Mrs. Merewether had a fifth part of the profits to maintain herself
and six children; he being also deprived of his temporal estate of 50l.
per annum, the rest was ordered to go towards maintaining the parliament forces, &c. but it seems Cooke was not "godly" enough for
those rebels, for in 1654, they put in one
Ric. Laurence, (fn. 25) who held it by intrusion till Merewether's
death, which happened before the Restoration, when Nic. Woodward,
S. T. P. custos, &c. in 1660, presented
James Oldfield, at whose death in
1681, Charles Reve was presented by Henry Reve, Esq. who had
the turn by grant from the Duke of Norfolk, at whose death
John Cox was instituted at the presentation of the College,
and resigned it in about a year's time, and the college presented
The Rev. Mr. Rice Price, who is fellow of the college, and the
Welholme's, or Welham's Manor.
Was granted by the Strattons, from their manor to the Welholmes,
and it belonged in 1274 to Robert de Welholme, and in 1285, to Alex.
de Welholme, who had a lete or view of frankpledge, and assize of bread
and ale, allowed him in eire; on condition he paid 8d. a year to the
King's bailiff of Depwade hundred, for that liberty. In 1315, John
and Richard de Welholm had it; in 1345, Rob. de Welholm and Stephen
his son, held it at half a fee, and half a quarter of a fee of Sir John
Inglose, he of Isabel Queen of England, and she of the King, as heir
to Montealt, lord of Rising-Castle. In 1401, John Brusyard had it,
and it was purchased by Sir John Herling, Knt. and ever since hath
passed as Stratton-Hall manor, the customs being the same, and the
court is always held at the same time.
The demeans and site severed from the manor, were late Booty's,
and are now owned by John Howse, Esq. who also hath the
Here, severed anciently from that manor, which is now (and for a long
time hath been) joined to Welholme's, the style being, Welholme's or
Welham's and Reese's in Stratton.
This manor was infeoffed by Fitz-Corbun, as is already observed,
in one Hunfrid or Humfry, whose descendants assumed the name
of Stratton; and it was in Robert de Stratton; (fn. 26) and in 1195 William de Stratton had it. (fn. 27) In 1207, Roger de Stratton, (fn. 28) in 1239, Henry
In 1249, Ralf de Stratton, called also de Bosco or Bois, held it at
one fee, (fn. 29) and was fined for not being a knight. In 1285, John de
Stratton was killed by William son of Nic. de Dunston; but it being
found, that he did it in his own defence, and not feloniously or maliciously, he had the King's pardon, (fn. 30) which he pleaded before the
itinerant justices at Norwich.
In 1270, Robert son of Nicolas de Stratton, sold part of the demeans to Richard de Boyland, who joined them to his manor of Boyland-Hall in Moringthorp. In 1274, Roger de Stratton was lord. In
1315, Thomas de Staunton owned it; about 1318, Thomas Picot; and
in 1323, Nicolas and Jeffry de Stratton released it to Nicholas Pycot;
in 1341, Sir John Walweyn, Knt. infeoffed it in fee in John Dengayne;
and in 1358, Tho. son of Rob. de Bumpstede of Norwich, and Alice his
wife, conveyed it to Roger de Herdegrey of Norwich, and his heirs, and
he infeoffed William de Wreningham, John de Berney, John de Bonyngham, and others. In 1362, Margaret daughter of Tho. Pygot of
Long-Stratton, released all her right to Edmund son of Isabel Berry.
In 1404, it belonged to John Rees and Margaret his wife,
William Rees, (fn. 31) Esq. and Margery his wife, who sold the manor
in 1407, to John Kirtling, clerk, and Rob. Park, and the heirs of
John, but reserved the site and demeans; the manor was soon after
conveyed to Sir Robert Herling, and ever since hath attended
the manor of Stratton-Hall.
The site and demeans called Ree's messuage in 1449, were conveyed by Rich. Baxter of Stratton, Will. Norwich, Gent. and Thomas
Swayn, to William Alnwyk Bishop of Norwich, Sir John Fastolf, and
Sir Henry Inglose, Knts. as trustees to Thomas Ludham, clerk, and
Tho. Howes, chaplain to Sir John Fastolf, and their heirs; and in
1464, Howes and Ludham having conveyed it to Sir John, John
Paston, heir to Sir John Fastolf, died seized, and since, it hath
passed through many conveyances, to John Howes, Esq. the present
In 1285, it was returned before the justices in eire, that the King
was defrauded of the service of a serjeanty, due for lands here; and
on the inquisition it was found, that in the time of King John, William Roscelyne held one serjeanty in Carleton, Tibenham, Forncet,
Waketon, Stratton, Melton, and Toseburgh, worth 5l. per annum, by
the serjeanty of finding one horseman in the King's war, whenever
there happens to be war in England, and that Roger Bigot Earl of
Norfolk, then held it substracted from the King; to which the Earl
by his attorney, answered, that he held it of Richmond honour in
capite, and that it was in King Henry the Third's hands, who gave
that honour, with all belonging to it, except Cossey manor, to Peter de
Subaudia, or of Savoy; and after that Roger Bygot, ancestor of the
present Earl, purchased it of Ric. de Hadesco, as held of the said honour, and that it was now held of John de Britain, lord of the honour,
by the service aforesaid, but not by any serjeanty; upon which he
was dismissed; and it hath ever since passed with Forncet manor.