The name of this town shows its original to have been the burgh
or fortification on the river Taus or Tees; (fn. 1) and according to Dr.
Gale in his Commentary on Antoninus his Itinerary, (fn. 2) tells us, this
river was called Taü, and that the station ad Taüm, mentioned in the
Pentingerian Tables, was here; and indeed the parish church stands
in the fortification, the dimensions of which are still very visible;
and an advantageous situation it was, to guard the pass of the river,
leading to Castre: being on the very summit of a high hill, which
surveys the adjacent country, and hangs over the river, which turned
eastward by it, and made a commodious sinus or bay for such vessels
as came up hither; and though for many years this stream hath
declined through neglect, it would be an easy matter to make it
navigable for lighters and such sort of vessels, up to this village, which
would be an advantageous thing to all the neighbouring country; this
good project hath been twice attempted, and as often miscarried,
rather through want of conduct and a proper application, than ability
of the undertakers.
The entrenchment or burgh here is square, and contains about 24
acres; it seems to be that encampment of the Romans, which by the
Chorographical Table published by Mark Velser, is called Ad Taum.
This place hath given name to the ancient family of the Taseburghs, who being lords of the town, had anciently their seat there;
but after their removal hence, had their chief seat (and that a very
pleasant one) just out of the county, on the bank of the river Waveney,
which parts this county from Suffolk, not far from the abbey of Falixtown, commonly called Flixton, in Suffolk: The house is a grand
ancient building, and fronts the road from Bungeye or Harleston.
(Atlas Norf. p. 333.)
The church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, who had her
gild here; the steeple is round and hath four bells in it; (fn. 3) there is a
north porch; the nave is leaded, and the chancel tiled. (fn. 4)
On an altar tomb on the south side of the church,
Bludworth, chequy arg. and sab. on a bend of the 1st, three
eagles displayed of the 2d, impaling
Baxter, arg. on a pale within a bordure sab. three bezants.
And this on a brass plate on the top,
Elizabetha Filia et Heres Georgij Bludworth Gen. et
Uxor Thome Baxter Gen. per quem habuit duos Filios et tres
Filias, obijt 8° Die Octobris Ao Dni. 1587, et. Ætatis sue xxxviijo.
On the side of the stone, Elizabetha Uxor Thomæ Baxter.
On a brass in the middle of the church,
Burman, barry of six, a chief wavy, quartering two talbots
between two flaunches, impaling Drury. Crest a greyhound.
Here under lieth the Body of Dorothy late wife of John Burman Doctor of Law, and Daughter of Anthony Drury of
Besthorp Esq; by Anne his Wife, she died 14 July 1642, leaving issue, John, Anne, and Dorothy, whose pious Example, God
give them Grace to follow.
Under the screen between the church and chancel on a flat stone,
Tirrel impales Burman.
Here lieth Elizabeth late wife of James Tirrel of the Inner
Temple, Esq; one of the Daughters of John Burman Doctor
of the Civil Law, by Dorothy his wife, the Daughter of
Anthony Drury of Besthorp Esq; she died in Child-Bed
April 4, 1638, leaving no issue behind her, æt. 21.
Henry Dod 27 April 1693. Susanna wife of Francis Bransby
Gent. Aug. 3 1729.
On a brass plate in the chancel,
Under this Stone lieth the Body of Robert Meeke, who in his
Life-time and after his Death for ever, gave liberally to the
Poor of this Parish; he was buried the 26 of Aug. 1598.
On a brass nailed to a seat in the chancel, are Baxter's and Bludworth's arms, and this,
Hic jacet Elizabetha prima Filia Thomæ Baxter Generosi
qui obijt innupta 3° Die Junij Ao D. 1586, æt. 16.
On a tomb against the south chancel wall, (fn. 5)
Thomas Baxter Patronus hujus Ecclesie obijt 3 Dec. Ao Dni.
1611, æt. suæ 75.
(He built Ranthorp-hall.) It hath three shields,
1st, Baxter as before. Crest, a pelican vulning herself proper.
2d, Baxter and Talmach, gul, a fret or.
3d, Drake, az. a wiverne or.
On the north side is a monument for Newce of Ranthorp-hall.
Newce, sab. three pallets wavy arg. on a canton erm. a mascle
Seabright, arg. two cinquefoils gul. a crescent for difference sab.
Newce impales Leventhorp.
Vir quo nec probitas Probior, nec Justior Ipsa
Justitia, Antiquæ et Archetypus Fidei,
Thomas Newce jacet hìc, Titulus Generosus avitis,
Delicium Populi, dulce Decus Patriæ;
Conditur hoc etiam Tumulo lectissima conjux,
Margareta, (fn. 6) Viro, par Genere, et Genio,
Fœlices ambo pariter vixêre, et utrumque
Et Charum, et clarum Vita beata dedit,
Mortis iniqua Manus sejunxit Corpore Costam,
(4to, Feb. Anno. Dom. 1629, Ætatis 68.)
Adjunctum Costæ Latus est, Urnâque in eadem;
(24 Novembris Ao Dni. 1632, Ætatis 69.)
Hic subito expectant, Tubæ se Voce sonantis
Conjunctos Cœli scandere ad astra poli,
Unicus est natus, soboles Generosa Parentum
Icon; Qui Patris Nomen et Omen habet.
1274, Rog. de Taseburgh, Lord of Uphall manor, sold the advowson from the manor, to Sir Rob. de Tateshale, Lord of Bukenhamcastle, who in 1299, presented
Eustace le Brett.
1326, Sir William Bacoun. Sir John de Cove, in right of Eve de
Tateshale, his wife.
1333, Will. Ynge. Lady Eve le Tateshale, in 1339, Adam de
Clifton, John de Orreby, and Robert son of William de Bernak, were
1361, John Grene of Atleburgh. Sir Adam de Clifton, Knt.
1416, Nic. Noth, res. Maud Cromwel, Lady Tateshale.
1451, John Davy. Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt.
1452, Jonn Davy, ob. Ralf Lord Cromwell.
1491, Rich. Hanworth. Sir Will. Knevet, Knt.
Henry Hanworth, res. Ditto.
1503, John Mannyng, A.M. res.
1503, Nic. Craven.
1543, Sir Will. Burgess, chaplain. Sir Edm. Knevet, Knt.
1561, John Skeet, res. Lapse.
1563, John Beare, ob. Thomas Chapman, this turn.
1566, John Blomevill. James Bigot, Gent. lord of Rainthorphall.
1586, Will. Temple. John (fn. 7) and William Matchet this turn, by
grant from James Bigot. In 1603, he returned answer, that he had
120 communicants, and that Tho. Baxter, Esq. was patron.
1629, Henry King. Tho. Newce, Esq. He was sequestered.
1654, Richard Laurence. By the Usurpers.
1661, Edw. Bainard, A.M. ob. on King's cession. Tho. Nuce, Esq.
1679, Edw. Bosworth, res. (fn. 8) Edmund Bedingfield, Esq.
1682, William Barlow. Ditto: buried under a marble in the chancel, July 1, 1693.
1693, Will. Smith, res. Tho. Seaman, junior, this turn.
1709, William Stevenson, united to Moringthorp. Israel Fielding, Esq. this turn; at his cession in
1723, John Bourne was presented by Walter Bateman, lord of
Rainthorp-hall, who sold the advowson to Miles Branthwayt, Esq.
1735, William Bentham. (fn. 9) Thomas Warkehouse, Esq. this turn.
At his death,
Mr. Evan Bowen, the present rector, was presented by Miles
Branthwayt, Esq. the present patron, and now holds it united to
the third part of Atleburgh, as at p. 525, vol. i.
When Norwich Domesday was wrote, the prior of Bromholm was
patron, and the rector had a house and 10 acres of glebe; it was
valued at 12, after at 14 marks, and paid 2s. synodals, 10d. Peterpence, (fn. 10) and 4d. carvage. The Prior of Thetford monks had revenues
here of the gift of William Bigod, (as at vol. ii. p. 109,) viz. temporals
taxed at 40s. 2d. a year, and spirituals, viz. the tithes of his demeans
and divers other lands held of him, valued to the tenths at 40s. a year,
and afterwards compounded for at 16s. 8d. a year, reduced after to
13s. a year, which in 1612, was paid to the lord of Aslacton priory
manor, in right of Thetford priory.
It now stands in the King's Books undischarged, and therefore is
not capable of augmentation.
8l. Taseburgh rect. 16s. yearly tenths.
This town paid 3l. to every tenth, when the taxes were raised by
tenths and fifteenths.
The Manor of Uphall, or Boyland's
In Taseburgh, was the capital manor, and belonged to Bishop Osbern
in the time of the Confessor, and was held by Tarolf, a freeman of
Bishop Stigand, at the Conqueror's survey, and then it extended into
Forncet; at the first survey it was worth 20s. per annum, and 30s. at
the last. All Taseburgh was a mile and quarter long, and 7 furlongs
broad, and paid 9d. geld. (fn. 11) The successours of this Tarolf, were
Richard and Mathew his son, and Ralf, who lived in 1199, and afterwards assumed the name of Taseburgh about 1239.
In 1247, Ralf son of Ralf de Taseburgh, was lord, and had infangenthef, or liberty to try all theft committed by his tenants, in his
own court baron and lete here, and to execute them and take their
forfeited goods. In 1256, he was dead, for then Robert de Gissing
granted to William Esturmi, the custody and marriage of Roger son
and heir of Ralf de Taseburgh, and William assigned them to Oliva
widow of the said Ralf, and if Roger died before he came of age, then
she was to have the custody of Christian and Richolda his sisters; and
in 1280, this Roger had sold it to
Ric. de Boyland and Maud his wife, who in 1284 had the lete,
paying 6d. yearly to the King, by the bailiff of the hundred; assise
of bread and ale, a ducking-stool, pillory, and common gallows;
and in 1289, William de Nerford and Petronel his wife, and their
heirs, had their free way and passage, under Sir Richard de Boyland's
court-yard in Taseburgh, between his said court-yard and his chapel of
St. Michael, (fn. 12) to the aldercar of the said William and Petronel; in 1295,
it belonged to Sir Ric. de Boyland, and Elen his second wife, (fn. 13) and
was then sold to
Ric. de Uphall of Taseburgh, from whom it was called Uphall
manor; in 1298, he sold it to
Henry son of Henry de la Sale and Sibil his wife, when it contained 10 messuages, 140 acres of land, 24 of meadow, 10 of pasture,
8 of wood, 2 of marsh, and 6l. 2s. 3d. ob. rent, in Taseburgh,
Newton-Flotman, Saxlingham, Wackton, and Hemenhale. It after
Ralf de Bumpsted, citizen of Norwich, and then to Thomas his
son, (fn. 14) who in 1385 conveyed it to Bartholomew de Appleyerd, Tho.
Spynk, and Will. de Eton, citizens of Norwich; and in 1400, Nichola
son of William Brooke, late citizen of Norwich, released it to William
Rees, Esq. and Tho. Spynk of Norwich. In 1444, it was settled on
Thomas Bumpstede, senior, and Ivetta his wife, with remainder to William Bumpstede; in 1445, by the name of Thomas Bumpstede, senior,
Esq. he made his will, and was buried in the collegiate church of St.
Mary in the Fields in Norwich, by the tomb of Margaret his mother; (fn. 15)
Ivetta his wife, and Thomas Crofts, Esq. were executors; he gave
Taseburgh manor, with the watermill thereto belonging, to his wife for
life; which manor and mill lately belonged to Richard Bodendale,
citizen and merchant of Coventry, and Nic. son of William Brooke,
late citizen of Norwich, and after her death Thomas his son was to
have it. In 1507, a fine was levied between John Jenour and Robert
Bray, querents, and John Wiseman and Isabel his wife, deforciants,
of the moiety of this manor, which in 1539 was sold by Thomas
Charles Duke of Suffolk, who in 1542, sold it to
Sir Ric. Gresham, who the year before had purchased the other
moiety of John Branch and others, who bought it of Edward Taseburgh
and Rose his wife. In 1547, Paul Gresham, Gent. settled it by fine on
Thomas Gresham, Gent. and before 1570, it was sold to William Fernley or Farlowe of Cretyng in Suffolk, and by him to Sir Thomay Gawdy
of Claxton, (fn. 16) who died seized, and left it to Henry Gawdy, Esq. his
son, who sold it according to an agreement made before his father's
death, with the manor of Hunts in Taseburgh, (fn. 17) to Gascoign Weld,
who left it to Joseph Weld his son, (fn. 18) serjeant at law, whose two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary, inherited; Elizabeth married to Richard
Rutter (fn. 19) of Kingsley in Cheshire; and Mary to William Starkey,
clerk, whose daughter Mary inherited the whole, and carried it to
John Jermy of Bayfield in Norfolk, Esq. whose only son and
William Jermy, Esq. is the present lord.
Belonged at the Confessor's survey to Almar, who held it of
Bishop Stigand, and at the Conqueror's, Roger de Ebrois held it
William de Schoies, and Richard de Hadesco held it about King
John's time, of the honour of Clare, at the 8th part of a fee; (fn. 20) and in
1235, John Wythe and Roger de Brom had it; in 1266, King Henry
III. granted liberty of free-warren to Thomas Rosceline, then lord, by
purchase from Ric. le Chamberlain of Hadesco; and in 1270, the said
Thomas sold it to Roger son of Walter de Hales; in 1289, Will. de
Nerford and Lady Petronel his wife, had it; and in 1315, I find it
belonged to Dunmowe priory in Essex, at the dissolution of which, it
came to the Crown, and being granted from it, in the 12th of Queen
Elizabeth it belonged to Sir Thomas Gresham, Knt. lord mayor of
London, and by him was joined to the manor of Uphall, with which
it now remains.
The honour of Richmond extends hither, two parcels belonged
to Alan, lord of that honour, the one was valued with his manor of
Costesey, (fn. 21) and the other belonged to the manor of Swaffham, and in
1632, Mathew Weld, Gent. was obliged by process, to pay 2l. 10s.
to the King as his forfeiture, for not paying his Majesty an annual
rent of 2d. ob. called war-pound (fn. 22) rent, due to his honour of Richmond.
There was a serjeanty held under Roger Bigot at the survey, by
Berard and Asceline, (fn. 23) and afterwards by the Earl-Marshal, who was
found to hold it of Richmond honour; an account of which you have
before at p. 204.
Was held of Roger de Ramis by William, at the survey, and
and after him by Jeff. de Rainesthorp, at one fee in 1156; and it is
now divided, and in that part in Taseburgh, he was succeeded by John
de Rainesthorp, and he by William de Raines, or Reymes; in 1200,
Robert de Reymesthorp and Sibil his wife, (fn. 24) had it; she was his widow
in 1229; in 1244, Richard de Reymes was lord, and it continued in
this family a long time; in 1307, John de Reynesthorp had it, and in
1342, he and Agnes his wife, were living; it after belonged to Will. de
Rees, and from that time passed as at p. 66.
In 1550, Anne Chapman held it of Forncet at half a fee; and
Thomas was her son and heir, and in 1570, Dudley Chapman his brother
had it, and in 1579, sold it to Sir Tho. Cornwaleis, Knt. and William
his son and heir; Tho. Baxter had it about 1600; he built the house
called Ranthorp-hall, in the windows of which are the following
Howard Duke of Norfolk, quartering Brotherton, Warren, and
Robert, vert, (fn. 25) a lion rampant or, vulned in the shoulder, impaling Kerdeston.
Ditto impaled with arg. on a fess az. three boars heads cooped or.
Az. on a fess arg. three martlets gul.
Appleyard and Thornbury, arg. on a bend or, a lion rampant
between two cotizes az.
Baxter impaling Drake, quarterly, 1, az. a wyvern or. 2,
Stocker, girony of six A. B on the first three martlets vert, 3, party
per pale A. G. a chevron between three trefoils counterchanged.
Baxter and Bludworth.
Bludworth and Crosse, quarterly gul. and or, in the first
quarter a cross paté ar.
Baxter and Bludworth quartered, impaled with Bowyer,
1. arg. a lion rampant between three cross croslets fitché gul. 2, az.
three shovels arg. shod or. 3, az. two bars and two plates in chief
arg. 4th as 1st.
Baxter and Sherman, az. a pelican or.
Ditto and Flynt, sab. on a chevron arg. between three crescents
erm. two lions combatant gul. quartering, party per pale sab. and
az. a chevron party per pale sab. and gul.
Tho. Baxter, Esq. sold it to Tho. Newce, Esq. of Hodsdon in
Hertfordshire, Stephen Bowyer and Thomas Heyward, Esqrs. being
trustees; at his death it went to his only daughter, married to Morgan
Jenkyn, whose only son, Newce Jenkyn, sold it to Mr. Ric, Carter,
senior, attorney at law in Norwich, and his son Richard had it, whose
widow sold it as at p. 67. (fn. 26)