FRAMLINGHAM - EARL.
There are two small villages of this name in Henstede hundred,
in the liberty of the Duke of Norfolk; they were both but one at
the time of the Conquest, and, was early called Framlingham-Parva,
or Little-Framlingham, to distinguish it from Framlingham-Magna,
or Great-Framlingham, in Suffolk which also belonged to the same
family; but when the part which belonged to Ulketel was granted
off by the Bigots to be held of them, that took the name of Framlingham-Picot or Pigot; and the other, of Framlingham-Earl,
both from their lords, by which name they are known. Mr. Le
Neve says, that the name of Framelingham signifies the seat or
abode of the son of Frame, who was a Saxon of great note in these
parts. It had before the Conquest been in many parts, one belonged
to Godwin, who held it of Stigand; (fn. 1) another belonged to Edwin, and
after that to Godric the Sewer, who held it of Earl Ralf, (fn. 2) and after his
forfeiture, of Bishop Almar; Turold had another part, and Ulf, (fn. 3) Ulketel, (fn. 4) and two Norwich burgesses, (fn. 5) others: it was then, as now, an
extensive manor, having lands, &c. belonging to it, in Trowse, Yelverton, Holveston, Kirkby, Poringlands, Shoteshams, Stoke, Surlingham,
and Rokeland; with the advowsons of Yelverton, and Porlands; and
the whole was half a mile long, and as much broad, and paid 13d. ob.
geld. It passed with the possessions of the Bigods Earls of Norfolk; (fn. 6)
and have attended the Norfolk families, as in Forncet at large, and is
now in his Grace the Duke of Norfolk: but the advowson was
separated from the manor very early, being given by Gunnora, wife
of Sweyne de Essex, and mother of Henry de Essex, to the monks at
Thetford, with the consent of Roger Bigot; and it remained in that
house, and passed with it at its dissolution, to the Duke of Norfolk,
in which family it hath always remained.
presented by the priors of Thetford.
1300, Richard de Bradwell.
1306, Walter de Fakenham.
1315, Henry de Mundham, lapse.
1316, Ric. de Rickinghall.
1338, Ric. de Bretforton, resigned. The King, in right of the
temporals of Thetford priory.
1339, Roger de Naffreton, resigned. Ditto.
1345, John de Bromholm. Mary Countess of Norfolk and Marshal, by the King's grant, in right of the temporals aforesaid.
1353, Alex. Rymen.
1362, John Thomason. The Prior.
1374, Sir John de Ditton.
1377, Thomas de la More.
1409, Reginald Pakenham.
1411, Rob. Merton.
1411, Simon de Bury, resigned.
1417, Tho. Stour.
1422, Will. Mathews.
1424, John Navesy.
1433, John Bertram.
1443, John Filip, lapse.
1447, John Baxter, lapse.
1448, Robert Cunningham, lapse.
1455, Hugh Bonet, lapse.
1458, John Olerton.
1471, Will. Upgate.
1473, Rob. Smith, succeeded by
Rob. Hawe, who resigned in
1481, to Thomas Appelton.
1485, Tho. Wymer, lapse.
1504, Sir John Moor.
In 1505, the churches of Framlingham-Earl and Framlingham
Picot, were really united, and continued so a long time, but each
patron joined in the presentations, and
John Sheriff was rector, presented to this by Thetford prior.
1518, Tho. Cokkys, was the last presented by the Prior.
1541, John Sheriff had it again, and died rector, and was presented
by the Duke of Norfolk.
1563, Tho. Johnes. (fn. 7) Ditto. At his death in
1610, Theophilus Greenaway had it by lapse, and at his death
Samuel Hancock, who died in 1661, and the rectories were
1661, Christopher Athow, who held it with Framlingham-Picot by
a personal union, being presented by the assignee of Lord Henry
Howard: at his death in
1669, Char. Brian, who died in 1677, and Henry Duke of Norfolk presented
Samuel Hancock, who held it, with Framlingham-Picot by
union; and at his resignation in 1683, the Duke gave it to
Tho. Havers, who was succeeded by
David Fleming, and he by
The Rev. Mr. Henry Goodall, archdeacon of Suffolk, who
hath it with Bixley, to which it was some time since consolidated, and
holds it with the united vicarage of Matashall, and rectory of Pateslee
The church is dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle, hath only
a nave 31 feet long and 18 broad; and a chancel 25 long and
11 broad, both being covered with thatch; the steeple is round, tiled
at top, and hath two bells: there are stones in the chancel for Christopher Athow, rector, ob. 8 Aug. 1669. And for Charles son of John
Keene, Gent. and Eliz. his wife, 1660. In the church is a stone with
the arms of Corbet, (fn. 8) for Jane wife of William Morse, daughter of
John Corbett, Gent. by whom she had ten sous and three daughters,
ob. March 11, 1684, aged 37. On a brass plate, Hic iacet Yenricus
and on a south window is the name of William Bray. 1505
John Goselyn buried in the church, gave four cows for a stock for
3l. 6s. 8d. Framlingham Comitis Rectoria. 35l. clear yearly value.
Consolidated to Bixley as aforesaid.
It is capable of augmentation, and is discharged of first-fruits and
tenths. At Domesday making, the Prior of Thetford was patron; the
rector had a house and 30 acres of glebe; it was valued first at 20s.
after at 4 marks, but was not taxed; the portion of the monks of
Thetford was 7 marks, and paid 1s. synodals, 3s. archdeacon's procurations, 1d. carvage, and 12d. Peter-pence. The present terrier
hath a house and 27 acres; it paid 34s. to each tenth, when the taxes
were raised that way. The temporals of the Abbot of Langley were
taxed at 6s. 3d. and those of the Prior of Pentney at 9d. ob.
This village is omitted in Saxton's map of the county. (fn. 9)