Sutherlingaham, or the village of low meadows on the south side of
the water, was in several parts at the Confessor's survey; the chief
manor belonged to Ulketel the Dane, and was after given by the
Conqueror to Roger Bigot of whom Ethard de Vaux held it at
the survey, (fn. 1) when the town was a mile long, and half a mile broad,
and paid 19d. to the geld, towards raising every 20s. tax, laid on the
hundred: this constituted the manor of Surlingham, which had the
advowson of St. Mary's church in Surlingham belonging to it; and it
contained also, the greatest part of the adjacent village of Bramerton,
the advowson of which church also belonged to it, as also the advowson of the parochial church of
St Saviour in Surlingham, which was given with the church of
St. Mary there, to the abbess and nuns at Carrow, by Norwich, by
Maud de Multon, lady of the manor, and patroress of them both;
and immediately after the gift, the rectory of St. Saviour, was appropriated to that house, which to its dissolution received all the great
and small tithes belonging to it, paying a yearly stipend out of them
to a serving chaplain here: and it continued a distinct perpetual
curacy till lately: in 1630, in the Revision of the Archdeaconry of
Norfolk it is returned, that James Culley, clerk, was then curate and
proprietor, (fn. 2) that it paid 18d. synodals, and 5s. archdeacon's procurations, and was appropriated to Carrow, and there being no vicarage
endowed, it was never entered in the King's Books: the Abbess in
order to get it appropriated, pretended that it was only a chapel belonging to the church of St. Mary; but that was contradicted by the
return then made, and entered in Norwich Domesday Book; where
it is said, that Surlingham St. Saviour had the same patroness with
St. Mary, and that though they had now valued it with it, yet heretofore it was a mother-church, distinct from the other church, and
had baptism and burial; for the Lady Maud de Multon, formerly
patroness of the same, declared that all infants born in that parish,
were baptised there, and that her own brother, and many others, lie
buried in that church, and that the parishioners have been buried
In the Chorography of Norfolk, St. Saviour's church at Surlingham was returned to be a donative, sometime belonging to the
priory of Carrowe, and purchased of the King after the Dissolution,
whereto belongeth one barn, and no other houses, and 30 acres of
glebe; about 1705, it was settled by consent of all parties, that the
impropriator, should pay for ever a clear rent charge of 16l. a
year, by quarterly payments, and so should enjoy all the great and
small tithes and glebes, belonging to this parish; and soon after, the
service was removed to St. Mary's, and the church dilapidated; it
never had any steeple, the bell hanging in a niche at the west end;
the nave and chancel were of an equal height and bigness, each being 15 yards long and six broad; and had a south porch.
In the yard lies an old coffin-stone, with a cross floré on three
grieces; and on a grave-post is this,
Here lieth the Body of Mary the Daughter of Francis Field,
and Margaret his wife, who departed this Life Dec. 24, 1685.
It stands on the side of a hill, about two furlongs north-east of
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, which was given also by
Maud de Multon, lady of the manor, to which the advowson was till
that time appendant.
Rectors of Surlingham St. Mary,
PRESENTED BY THE PRIORESS OF CARROW.
1303, Sir Will. de Carlton.
1304, Master Will. de Dallyng, LL. D. 1324, he changed for
John de Thirstone, who was the last rector.
For in 1349, they got it appropriated to their house on the 10th of
July, for to find clothing for the nuns; (fn. 3) the original appropriation is
extant in the 4th Institution Book, fo. 24, 26, by which it appears,
that the Bishop was to nominate the vicars on every vacancy to the
prioresses, who were obliged to present the persons so nominated: the
vicar had a vicarage-house assigned him, with the tithes of hay,
wool, and all other small tithes and offerings whatever, belonging to
the parish; with 33 acres of glebe land, and an annual pension of 10
marks out of the great tithes. (fn. 4)
NOMINATED BY THE BISHOPS OF NORWICH, AND PRESENTED BY
THE SEVERAL PRIORESSES OF CARROW.
1349, 2 Sept. Roger de Geyst, priest, the first vicar; he died in
1381; his will is in Regr. Haydon, fo. 157.
1382, Barth. Broun, subdeacon, who changed in 1384, for S. Walsham St. Laurence with
Bartholomew Pocock, who lies buried in the choir of the
hospital church of St. Giles in Norwich.
1385, Will. de Boton. (fn. 5) In
1412, Edm. Coupere, resigned to
Nicholas Hales, for St. Julian's in Norwich; he was buried
in this churchyard in 1432, being succeeded by
Master John Alnwyk, a relation to William Alnwyk Bishop
of Norwich, who nominated him to this vicarage; he gave the present
town-lands to this parish, to repair the church, and lies buried in the
chancel, with this inscription under his effigies in brass,
Magister John iaret hic, dirtus prenobilis Alnwyk,
Qui dedit Errlesie plurima dona sue,
Et Mundum renuit, celica Regna Petit,
Anno Milleno C quater L quoque deno.
He resigned this in 1449, and
Robert Cotyller succeeded, and in
1475, John Chaumberleyn had it, and in
1487, Rob. Scott; in
1496, William Gore, who died next year, and lies buried in the
chancel, with this on a brass plate,
Orate pro anima Willi. Gore quondam Uicarii istius Ecclesie
qui obiit Anno Domini Mcccclrrrrviio.
Ric. Lumhalx succeeded him, and lies buried by him with
Orate pro anima Domini Ricardi Lunchawkys quondam Rectoris
istius Ecclesie qui obiit rro Die Decembr: Ao Dni. M. vc, riii.
cuius anime propicietur Deus.
Thomas Langworth succeeded him, and resigned in
1517, to Stephen Logon, who was deprived, and in
1525, Alexander Duckworth was nominated by the Bishop, and
was the last presented by the Prioress; he died vicar.
1552, Reginald Witten, A. M. the Bishop nominated to Anne
Shelton, owner of Carrow, he died vicar, and in
1557, James Greene was presented by Sir John Shelton, Knt. at
the Bishop's nomination.
1584, Robert Peachye, A.M. who in 1603, returned answer, that
there were 154 communicants here; (fn. 6) he died vicar, and in
1639, Samuel Willan was collated by the Bishop, and after him it
was served by licensed curates, and in
1677, Wil. Brooke was licensed to it; in
1683, James Bowgin was instituted by lapse; and in
1706, Francis Brooke was instituted to the vicarage of Surlingham
St. Mary, at the nomination of the Bishop, and presentation of Naphaniel Axtell, owner of Carrow, on the death of
James Bowgin, clerk. Hitherto the impropriation had gone
with Carrow, but soon after this, Mr. Axtell sold the impropriations
of both churches, and the presentation to the vicarage; and on the
sale, settled a clear annuity of 16l. to be paid quarterly out of the
great and small tithes of St. Saviour, and the parsonage-house and
glebe lands of St. Mary; besides which, all the small tithes whatever
of St. Mary's parish belong to the vicar, which are now let to the
1725, Thomas Manlove, A. B. was instituted by Thomas Tanner,
S. T. P. on the resignation of
John Fox, and presentation of Rich. Gent, at the nomination of the Bishop of Norwich, to the vicarage of the parish of St.
Saviour and St. Mary of Surlingham, and was inducted by the Archdeacon of Norfolk. In
1731, Gilbert Bennet, A. B. on the cession of
William Evans. Ditto. In 1736, on Bennet's cession,
Roger Giddings had it, and held it with Moulton rectory by
union; he was nominated by the Bishop, and presented by Ric.
Gent the elder, patron and impropriator, whose son, Mr. Richard
Gent of Surlingham is the present impropiator and patron, at the
The Prioress of Carrow had temporals here, taxed at 9s. 4d.
The marsh belonging to the Prior of Norwich, was taxed at 4s. 4d.
The temporals of the Abbot of Langley at 11s. 9d. And the whole
vill paid clear to each tenth, without the religious, (who were taxed
by themselves) 14s. 8d.
The church of St. Mary, hath a steeple about 50 feet high, round
at bottom, and octangular at top, and four bells in it; on the
2d, Da Gloriam Dco. 1505.
3d, Uirginis Egregie vocor Campana Marie.
4th, Johannis Cristi care, dignare pro nobis orare.
The nave and north isle, are both twelve paces long, the church
nine broad, and the isle three; the chancel is ten paces long and six
broad; there is a south porch, all leaded.
In the nave there are stones for, Mary Newman 1661. Anne,
Daughter of John and Florence Newman, 1667. Ursula Wife
of John Newman 1663.
On the font are the emblems of the 4 Evangelists, the shield of the
instruments of the Passion, the emblem of the Trinity, that of
the sacrament, viz. three cups, with a wafer on each of them, and the
arms of the East Angles.
In the north isle,
Orate pro animabus Audrie Syr (Sire) et Alicie Walisch
(Welsh) Audrie, quorum animabus propicietur Deus Amen.
Orate pro anima Germyn Lessyngham, Ao. Dni. M. vc rrvo.
In the east window,
Orate pro animabus fratrum et sororum Gilde, St. Salvatoris. (fn. 7)
In a south window are two broken effigies, one of a false witness,
and under him, Testis iniquus In a label this, De Jures bana per
ipsum. The other hath the word Mechus under him, and this in a
label, Tuos benerare parentes.
The Capital Manor of Surlingham, with Bastwick's Panclose, and Verdon's, annexed.
Surlingham manor belonged to Aitard or Ethard de Vaus, (fn. 8) who
held it of Rog. Bigot in the time of the Conqueror, and it continued
a long time in his family, and passed with the manor of Keswick, as
you may see at p. 434. It remained in the Vaux's family till about
1250, and then John de Vaux gave it, with his daughter Maud, in free
marriage, to Thomas de Multon or Moulton, of Gillesland in Cumberland, and they in 1252, had a charter for free-warren in all their
demeans, by the grant of King Henry III.; but notwithstanding this,
and other favours conferred on him by that King, he deserted him,
and joined with the rebellious barons against their Prince; upon
which, the King seized upon this manor, and gave it to William de
Saint Omer, and directed his writ to the sheriff of the county, to
deliver him seizin; but the sheriff favouring the barons, would not do
it, but for his refusal, he was next year fined 10l. and after that 20l.
and the treasurer of the Exchequer was ordered by the court to levy
it; (fn. 9) but after this, making his peace with the King, he died seized,
and in 1275, Maud his wife settled it by fine on herself for life, and
then on Hubert de Multon her son: she was found to have freewarren, assise of bread and ale, and view of frankpledge, in the towns
of Surlinghum, Bramerton, and Rockland, but that the lete or view of
frankpledge, belonged to this manor only for 30 years past when
Andrew Walceline, bailiff of the King's hundred of Henstede, to
which these letes belonged, took of the then lord of Surlingham, 20s.
and a robe, to say nothing of it. In 1295, it was found that Maud
de Vaux, widow of Thomas de Multon, died seized, (fn. 10) and left it to
Hubert her son, as guardian to Thomas her grandson, son of her eldest
son, Thomas de Multon, who died before his father; but when the
said Thomas the grandson came of age, he released it to his uncle
Hubert, who held it of the said Thomas de Multon, who was found to
hold five fees in Surlingham, Denham, Kirby, Keswic, and Cringleford, of Forncet: at Hubert's death, John de Multon his son inherited, who held it of that Thomas de Multon of Gillesland, who had
released it to his father Hubert; and it seems that John died a minor,
and was succeeded by Margaret du Bois his sister, then the wife of
Sir William Legh, Knt. for Will. de Legh, Knt. and Margaret his
wife, settled it in trust, on Adam de Brampton and Will. de Tofts, it
being then worth 32l. 14s. per annum. In 1378, Sir William Legh,
Knt. was sole lord, and granted off a 40th part of a fee here and in
Rockland, to the Abbot of Langley; that part here, constituted the
Abbot's manor; he died seized this year, and Will. de Legh, Knt. his
son, succeeded him; in 1415, he settled this manor and Bramerton
advowson, on himself and Agnes his wife, in tail; Henry Preston
and others being trustees; he gave lands in Cringleford to St. Giles's
Hospital in Norwich; to the deed is his seal affixed, circumscribed,
Sigillumi Domini Willi: de Legh militis: The crest is a falcon rising
from a torce; the arms are, two bars surmounted by a bend chequy;
he died in 1427, and Agnes his wife survived him, and Sir Will.
Legh, Knt. (fn. 11) his son and heir, had livery of his lands; he died about
1492, and Thomas Legh or Lye, his son, inherited, who died in 1494,
seized of this manor and Bramerton advowson, which extended
into Bramerton, Kirbybedon, Yelverton, Bixley, Poringland, and
Framlingham: it being held of the Lord Dacres, who held it of the
Norfolk family, as of Forncet manor. Rob. Legh, his son and heir,
succeeded. In 1527, John Legh, Esq. paid to Richard Bainard,
Gent. feodary to the Duke of Norfolk, 4l. for an aid to marry Catherine, daughter of Thomas Duke of Norfolk; he holding Surlingham
manor at four fees, of his honour of Forncet. After him, Tho. Legh,
Esq. and Maud his wife, owned it, who seems to have been a Redman,
it being settled at their marriage on Mathew Redman, in trust. In
1556, Thomas Samson, a trustee, released to Thomas Legh, the manor,
with a warren of conies, free-warren, &c. in Surlingham and Bramerton; in 1568, Tho. Legh, Esq. conveyed it to Ric. Lowther; and
in 1570, Sir Tho. Gawdy, Knt. of Claxton, was lord, and had free
fishery in the river, belonging to it; in 1587, at the death of Sir
Thomas Gawdy, Knt. one of the justices of the Common Pleas, who
died the 5th of Nov.; it was found that Henry, his son and heir, was
then 36 years old, and that the manors of Bastwick's in Surlingham, (fn. 12)
and Panclose there, (fn. 13) were held in capite of the King, that Verdon's
manor (fn. 14) in Surlingham was held of Forncet, as was also the capital
manor of Surlingham. In 1603, Sir Henry Gawdy, Knt. was found
lord, as heir to his father Sir Thomas, who purchased it of Mr. Legh;
the fines are certain at 2s. an acre.
It was sold by Gawdy to Mr. Corbet, and belonged afterwards to
Mr. Corey, (fn. 15) and after that, to old Major Hauteyn, who sold it, the
advowson of Bramerton, and the warren excepted, to Colonel Thomas
Sidney of Randworth, whose two daughters and heiresses had it;
Mary married to Sir Brownlow Sherrard, Bart. who released
their right to William Perry, Esq. of Turvile Park in Buckinghamshire, the present lord, who married Eliz. Sidney, sister to the
The court is usually kept at Coldham-Hall, commonly called the
Wood's End, which formerly belonged to one of the united manors,
but is now a publick-house belonging to a private owner.
Earlham's Manor in Surlingham, with Little–Breeche in Rockland.
This manor belonged to Godric the sewer, and ALNOT the Saxon,
when the survey was taken; (fn. 16) in 1215, Roger de Veteri Ponte or
Vipond, had it; it was sometime owned by John de Earlham, from
whom it took its present name. In 1272, it had assise of bread and
ale, and Will. de Carleol, a minor, in the custody of Sir Ric. de Boyland, had it; in 1285, Sir Tho. de Helgeton or Hellington, owned it,
and joined his manor of Little Breche in Rockland, to it, which hath
passed with it ever since.
In 1315, Tho. de Helgeton was lord; and in 1381, John Latimer of
Norwich: in 1401, Nic. Briant, or Brian, held half a fee here; in
1404 Ralf Dacre, and in 1409 Tho. Dacre held it. In 1429, Thomas
Baxter, alderman of Norwich, willed it to be sold; and in 1446 Tho.
Lucas of Holkham, Esq. gave it to Etheldred his wife, and after her
death to Elizabeth his daughter. In 1520, Kat. Bosard, widow, died,
and left it to Margery her daughter, then the wife of Thomas Naunton,
Esq. and Will. Naunton their son, had it after them.
Earlham's manor, had then 26s. 8d. quitrents, &c. and the lands
belonging lately to Metyngham College were joined to it. (fn. 17) How it
passed from the Nauntons, I do not find, but Sir Tho. Gawdy purchased it of Mr. Holdich of Ranworth, and left it to Hen. Gawdy, Esq.
his son, and it was sold by the Gawdies; and in 1720, Tho. Rant, Esq.
of Yelverton, was lord, at whose death, James Rant, Esq. of Mendham, his brother had it, whose son, William Rant of Mendham, Esq.
sold it to James Bransby of Shotesham, Gent. the present lord.
The eldest son is heir, and it gives no dower.
The court is usually kept at the publick-house called the Ferry, (fn. 18)
which is owned by Lady Ward of Bixley.
Abbot's, or Langley Manor
In Surlingham, was granted (part by Sir Will. Leigh, part by Ric. de
Hoe or Howe, and part by others) to that house. (fn. 19) In 1285, the Abbot
was summoned to show why his villeins of Surlingham did not do suit
to the King's hundred court? but the Abbot was discharged. on proving
no such suit was ever done. In 1401, the Abbot held a 40th part of a
fee here, and in Rockland, of Sir Will. de Leigh, and Nic de Castello
or Castle, and another part of the heirs of Hubert de Multon: this
continued in the abbey to its dissolution, and it seems afterwards to
have been joined to the capital manor.