Was owned by Herold (afterwards King of England) in the
Confessor's time, and by Bishop Herfast, and after, by William
Beaufoe Bishop of Thetford, at the Conqueror's survey; one part
of it was in the King's own hands, (fn. 1) and so had the other been, after
Herold's death, and therefore the whole always enjoyed the privileges of ancient demean, (fn. 2) and was exempt from the hundred, and had
the lete, and all royalties belonging to it.
The Conqueror gave it to Bp. Herfast, and after to William
the Bishop, (fn. 3) in fee and inheritance; and he settled the whole town
and advowson on the see; it was risen from 6 pounds to 8 pounds
value, and was a mile long, and as much broad, and paid 4 pence
halfpenny geld or tax, towards every 20s. raised on the hundred; at
the Confessor's survey, this, and Marsham were appendant to Cawston
manor; but at the conquest, Iteringham, Marsam, Straton, Berningham,
and East Beckham, had berewics appendant to this, which was confirmed to the see of Norwich by King Henry I. when Bishop
Herbert fixed the see there, to be held in chief of the King at one
It being an agreeable distance from Norwich, the Bishops held the
demeans in their own hands, and had a palace, or country seat,
with a fine park adjoining to it; and it appears from the Institution
Books, by much business transacted, that many of the Bishops often
resided here; the liberties of lete or view of frankpledge, assize of
bread and ale, a gallows, tumbrell or cucking-stool, and free warren,
were allowed to this manor, in several iters, by the King's itinerant
justices or judges; and this manor and advowson appendant continued
in the see till 1533, (fn. 4) and on the exchange then made, came into the
hands of King Henry VIII. who separated the advowson from the
manor, which he granted to Sir John Clere, Knt. who in 1546
held it of the Crown in captite, and joined it to, and it hath passed
ever since with,
The Manor of Dagworth in Blickling,
Which was originally part of the great manor till Bishop Eborard,
in Henry the First's time, granted it to
John Fitz Robert, a powerful soldier in those days, and to his
heirs, to be held of the see, at one fee; (see vol. iii. p. 473, vol. iv. p.
536;) this he afterwards declared he did, without the consent of the
prior and chapter, and by force, least by the misfortunes of war in
England, the whole see should be spoiled; and therefore afterwards
he requested a bull of the Pope, to absolve him from the fact, and restore the possession to the church, (fn. 5) but was denied, and William Fitz
Robert, brother of John, held it of the old feofment, when the Black
Book of the Exchequer was made, about 1165; this William married
Sibil, sister and coheir of John, son of Ralf de Caineto, Chesneto, or
Cheyney, and he assumed that name; they left three daughters, their
Margaret married 1st to Hugh de Cressi, secondly to Robert
Clementia, the 2d daughter, married Jordan de Sackville; and
Sarah, the 3d daughter, married to Richard Engaine, (fn. 6) grandson
to Richard Engaine who lived iu the Conqueror's days; this Richard
in 1191, gave the King 200 marks to have possession of his wife's
inheritance, and to be sheriff of Northamptonshire, and to have the
profits of the county for 3 years; (fn. 7) but this manor, in 1217, was released by Jordan de Saukvile and Clementia his wife, and Vitalis, son
of Richard Engaine and Sara his wife, to
Margery de Cressi, and so it came wholly to that family; and
in 1223, a fine was levied between her and the Bishop of Norwich,
by which the advowson was settled wholly on the see and the manor
on her and her heirs; and in 1238 Roger de Cressy was lord, and
added much to it, by purchase from William son of Bertram de
Blickling. He married Isabell, daughter and coheiress of Hubert de
Rhia or Rye, and John Marshall married the other coheiress; and
in 1211 it appears, that Isabell his wife was widow of Geffry de Cestria
or Chester, and that hè married her by the King's favour; she died
seized of this manor, and was found to be a coheiress of the barony
of Rye, about 1266; and Alice Marshall, her sister, inherited, and
paid a relief for her lands. In 1267 there was a suit for this manor,
between William de Valentia or Valence, and Robert Fitz Roger, by
which it appears that the King had granted this, Filby, and WestLexham manors, with other inheritances of Hugh and Roger de Cressy,
as escheats, to
William de Valence, who recovered them, and had liberty of
return of writs in all his manors in Northamptonshire, (fn. 8) by his own
steward, who would not permit the sheriff to enter; but soon after,
Valence surrendered this and Bliburgh manors, to
Robert Fitz Roger, as the inheritance of Margery de Cressi;
but Valence was to hold Filby and West Lexham, as the inheritance of
Hugh or Stephen de Cressy, or Roger de Cheyney, his ancestors; but
John Engaine was lord here, who was son of Vitalis Engaine,
who released it, as aforesaid in 1278; he held it of the Bishop of
Norwich, and in 1281 was summoned with the rest of the barons to
attend King Kdward I. in his expedition into Wales; and in 1285
John Engaine, junior, his son, was lord, and had view of
frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, and free-warren here, allowed
him in eire; in 1293 he was summoned to attend King Edward I.
with horse and arms into Gascoigne to recover it from the French;
and in 1296, it appears that he had this manor with Ellen his wife,
daughter of Robert Fitz Roger, (fn. 9) and that his father had it only settled
on him for life, in trust for them; in 1309 John Engaine and Helen
his wife sold this manor to
Robert de Holveston and his heirs, paying a rent charge to
them during their lives; this Robert was succeeded by James de
Holveston his son, who was lord in 1345, and in 1368, he and Joan his
wife settled it on the trustees, for themselves for life, with remainder to
Sir Nicholas Dagworth, Knt. and his heirs; lie died in 1378,
and was buried in St. Andrew's church at Blickling, and Joan his
wife, and 2 daughters, survived him.
This family took their rise and name from Dagworth, in Stow
Hundred in Suffolk, where Walter de Aggeworth or Dagworth,
and Aveline his wife, held lands in King John's time; and in 1216,
Walter was dead, and Robert his son, and Aveline his mother, owned
them; Hervy de Dagworth succeeded, and his son Osbert was lord (see
vol. v. p. 281) in 1253; in which year King Henry III. granted him
Bradwell manor in Essex, and a market and free fair there, and freewarren in his manors of Dagworth and Brandeston in Suffolk; (fn. 10) he
then held Dagworth, of Henry de Essex, as of Raleigh honour, and
Brandeston of the Abbot of Bury; John de Dagworth died about
1272, seized of Dagworth and Duddingshirst manor in Essex, and
left John his son and heir a minor, who was in the King's wardship;
and in 1307 Maud his mother died seized of the office of usher of the
Exchequer, in her own right, and left it to Sir John Dagworth, Knt. her
son and heir. (fn. 11) In 1325 he was admitted to the 3d part of this office,
which descended to him, as cousin and heir to Lora, who was wife of
William Pyforer, &c. In 1333 it appears that Alice de Bellomonte or
Beaumont left 2 daughters and coheirs; Isolda, married to John de
Belhouse; and Alice, to Sir John de Dagworth, who left Nicholas de
Dagworth, their son and heir, who inherited Bradwell, Dagworth, a
moiety of Elmdon manor in Essex, &c.; this Nicholas was seized of the
the office of marshal to the itinerant justices; he paid for his relief to
the King for Dagworth manor, 3 arrows feathered with eagles feathers;
he was also usher of the Exchequer. Sir Thomas de Dagworth, Knt.
son of John, was Lieutenant to King Edward III. in Brittany in 1345,
where he fought Charles of Blois, who called himself Duke of Britain,
and took him prisoner at Rochedirian, (fn. 12) obtaining a great victory, killing above 600 knights, esquires, and men of arms; (see vol. i. p. 175;)
but in July following, going with a small number to view the garrisons,
he was surprised by an ambush of French, and after a brave defence
killed, as were most of them with him, and the rest taken prisoners.
In 1350 his widow Alianora, Countess of Ormond, relict of James
Botiler, first Earl of Ormond, and daughter of Humphrey de Bohun
Earl of Hereford, (fn. 13) had the King's protection, for herself, servants,
workmen, and tenants, and all her estates, in the dukedom of Brittain.
In 1364, Sir Nicholas Dagworth, Knt. afterwards lord of
Blickling, was commander in Acquitain; in 1373 he was employed
by King Edward III. in a secret negociation with John Fastolff, and
others in France. (fn. 14) In 1376 he was sent by the King and Council
into Ireland, to examine into Sir William de Windsor's carriage there;
but at the motion of dame Alice Perers, he was stopped, he declaring
him Sir William's enemy, and that it was unjust to appoint one
enemy to judge another; (fn. 15) but the next year, he was sent with full
commission to reform the state of that kingdom. (fn. 16) He was in as grea
esteem with King Richard II. as he had always been with Edwardt
III.; for in 1380 he, Sir John Haukewood, Knt. and Walter Skirlawe,
doctor of the decrees, and dean of St. Martin's le Grand in London,
was sent into France to treat with the dukes and lords of Italy;
and the same year, being one of the privy chamber to the King, he
with Bernard Vansedles, Simon de Burley, the chamberlain, Robert
Braybrook, licentiate in the laws, and Walter Skirlaw, had like
powers to treat with the German princes; (fn. 17) the next year, he and
Skirlaw went ambassadors to Pope Urban VI. and had power to
treat with the King of Naples. In 1384, he and John Baam, dean
of St. Martin's, the King's secretary, and Sir John Haukewood, went
ambassadours to the Pope, and to treat with Charles King of Jerusalem and Cecily: and notwithstanding his being so much in
favour, in the 11thof Richard II. he was one of those impeached in
parliament, and was imprisoned in Rochester castle in Kent; but
being honourably discharged, was the next year appointed a commissioner to treat with the French king, and with the Earl of Flanders;
in the 13th of Richard II. he was made one of the commissioners to
take the oath of the King of Scotland, to the treaty then concluded,
and afterwards demanded satisfaction of the Scots for infringing that
treaty, and also the money behind-hand for redemption of David
Bruce, King of Scotland: afterwards he retired to this place, where
he built the mansion or manor-house, and constantly resided here to
the day of his death. In 1391 he settled his manor of Bradwell on
divers feoffees, and exemplified the liberties of this manor in 14th
Richard II. when all the tenants were exempt from toll, as being ancient demean; this great man died in January 1401, and lies buried
at the east end of the south isle of Blickling church, under a marble,
on which is his figure in brass, armed cap-à-pee, lying on his crest,
of an eagle's head erased, and a lion couchant at his feet, and the
Dagworth, er. on a fess gul. three besants, impaled with
Rosale, gul. a fess between six martlets or, and this circumscription
on fillets of brass;
Hic iacet Nicholaus de Dagworth Miles, quondam Dominus de
Bliklyng, qui obiit die Mensis Januarii Anno Domini
Milesimo cccc primo, cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
Alianora his widow was daughter of Walter, and sister and coheir
of Sir John Rosale of Shropshire, (fn. 18) who in 1407 released all her right
in the 3d part of this manor for term of life, to Sir Thomas de Erpingham, and Sir Robert Berney, Knts.; she died in 1432, and in that
year John Inglefield, Esq. their son, was heir to Alianora.
Thomasine, sister and heiress of Sir Nicholas Dagworth, (fn. 19)
married William Lord Furnival of Worsop in Nottinghamshire, and
had Joan their daughter and heiress, married to Thomas Nevile Lord
But this manor was in the hands of Sir Thomas Erpingham, Knt. and
his feoffees, and they all released their right to Sir Thomas in 1431,
together with John Mortimer and Eleanor his wife, and Sir Thomas
sold it to
Sir John Fastolf, Knt, and his heirs, who in 1445 settled it on
John, Cardinal and Archbishop of Canterbury, and many other
feoffees; in 1450 he had the liberties allowed to his manor here.
Sir John sold it to Sir Geffrey Boleyn, Knt. (fn. 20) lord mayor of the city
of London, who made it in his country seat.
The family of the Boleyns, or Bullens, descended from John
Boleyne of Salle in Norfolk, who lived there in 1283, (as appears
from the Register of Walsingham Abbey, fo. 182.)
John, son of the said John, was succeeded by his son,
Thomas, who purchased lands in Salle in 1374 and 1382;
John, son of Thomas, left
Thomas Bullen of Salle, his son and heir, who died April 30,
1411; he was father of
Jeffery Boleyne of Salle, Gent. (fn. 21) who married Alice, daughter
and heiress of Bracton; he was buried by his ancestors in Salle church
in 1440, leaving
Jeffery Boleyne, his son and heir, who being a great favourite
with Sir John Fastolf, was by his interest much promoted; he settled
in London, and was mayor of that city in 1457, (as at vol. iv. p. 34,)
being then knighted; he married Anne, first daughter and coheir of
Thomas Lord Hoo and Hastyngs, by his 2d wife Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Nicholas Wichingham, Knt. of Fishley in Norfolk, who survived him, and was alive and remarried to Sir Thomas Fenys in 1501.
He built the chapel of St. Thomas, at the east end of the north
isle of Blickling church, and adorned the windows with beautiful
painted glass, and there still remain his own arms impaling his wife's
in a window there, and this inscription;
Balfriba Boleyn quondam Domini istius Uille. et Anne
Consortis sue, qui istam Capellam una cum fenestra fiera
quorum animabus propicietur Deus.
He made his will, by the name of Geffrey Boleyn, citizen, mercer,
and alderman of London, which was proved July 2, 1463, (fn. 22) in which
he bequeathed his body to be buried in the chapel of St, John, in the
church of St. Lawrence in the Jury, or else in his chapel of St. Thomas,
in the church of Blickling, if he died in Norfolk; he made his brother,
Master Thomas Boleyn, (fn. 23) his executor, and died seized of Blickling,
Mulbarton, Stiveky, and divers other manors in Norfolk and Kent, (fn. 24)
leaving good portions to all his children, having had three sons and
four daughters, and dying in London, was buried in St. Laurence's
church, in the chapel there, according to his own direction: as to his
Elizabeth, the eldest, married Sir Henry Heydon of Baconsthorp,
Alice, the 2d, to Sir John Fortescue, Knt.
Isabel, (fn. 25) to William, son and heir of Sir John Cheyney, Knt.
Cecily died young, and is buried at Blicklyng; as is
Simon Boleyn, a priest, the youngest son.
Sir Thomas Boleyn, the eldest, was a minor; at his father's death
he lived at Salle, but was of age before 1466, for then he was party to
a fine concerning Hedenham manor; he died in April 1471, and his
will was proved 26th of June following, (fn. 26) by which he ordered to be
buried by his father, and made the Lady Anne his mother executrix,
and ordered her to sell his place in Ingham manor in Norfolk, and to
dispose of it for his soul's health; this lady died in 1484, seized of the
manor and advowson of Mulbarton, in her own right, and
Sir William Boleyn of Blickling, Knt. and of Hevercastle in
Kent, her second son, became general heir. He was made Knt. of the
Bath at the coronation of King Richard III. was sheriff of Kent
5th of Henry VII. and married Margaret daughter and coheir of
Thomas Butler Earl of Ormond; (for whom see vol. iv. p. 33, 4;) he
was buried in Norwich cathedral in 1505, by the grave of dame Anne
Bullen his mother; he tied his manors of Blickling, Calthorp, Wickmere, and Mekyl or Mulbarton, to pay 200 marks per annum for life
to dame Margaret his wife, (fn. 27) and died seized of the manors of Filby,
Stukey, and West Lexham in Norfolk, Hoe, Offley, and Cockenhoe in
Hertfordshire, and Hever and Seale in Kent; he had
1, Sir Thomas, his eldest son and heir, of whom hereafter.
2, John, who died in 1484, and is buried at Blickling.
3, Anthony, who lies under a stone by the altar there, with this,
Hic iacet Antonius Boleyn, filius Willielmi Boleyn Militis, qui
obiit ultimo die Septembris Anno Domini Mcccclxxxxiii, cuius
anime propicietur Deus.
4, William, archdeacon of Winchester, died without issue, and
was buried at Blickling, December 18, 1571.
5, Sir James Boleyn, Knt. of Blickling and Salle, married Elizabeth Wood of East-Marsham; he died without issue, and was buried
with great pomp at Blickling, in December 1561.
6, Sir Edward Boleyn, Knt. of Blickling, married Anne, daughter and coheir of Sir John, son of Sir Robert Tempest, Knt. and
Catherine his wife, daughter and coheir of Lionel Lord Wells, and
Cecily his wife, sister and coheir of Sir Robert Waterton, Knt.; he inherited in right of his wife, Houghton and Medley manors in Yorkshire,
in 1520; they had four daughters coheiresses; 1, Mary, married to
James, 5th son of Robert Brampton of Brampton, Esq.; 2, Elizabeth,
to Thomas Payne of Iteringham; 3, Ursula, to William Pygge of
Essex; 4, Amy, to Sir Edward Whinborough, and after to Nicholas
Shadwell of Bromhill. His daughters were, 1, Anne, who lies buried
here, with this,
Hic iacet Anna Boleyn, filia Willi; Boleyn, Armigeri, Etatis
trium Annorum undecem Mensum et tredecem Dierum, que obiit
ultimo Die Mensis Octobr' Anno Domini Mcccclrrir cuius anime
propicietur Deus Amen.
2, Anne, married to Sir John Shelton of Shelton in Norfolk, Knt.
and left issue.
3, Jane, married to Sir Phillip Calthorp of Norwich, Knt. but left
no male issue
4, Alice, married to Sir Robert Clere of Ormesby, Knt.
5, Margaret, to John Sackville, Esq. of Buckhurst in Sussex, ancestor to the Earl of Dorset.
Sir Thomas Bullen, the eldest son, was created Knt. of the
Bath at the coronation of Henry VIII. He held this manor of the
Bishop of Norwich, and paid 3s. 6d. every 30 weeks for castle-guard,
and was governour of Norwich castle in 1512, ambassador to the
Emperor Maximilian; Viscount Rochford 17 Henry VIII. Knight
of the Garter, Earl of Wilts, to the heirs male of his body, and Earl
of Ormond to his heirs general, lord privy seal, &c. for whom see
more at vol. iv. p. 34; he died 30 Henry VIII. 1538, and had by
Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, his only wife,
1, George Boleyn Viscount Rochford, who was summoned to
parliament by that title during his father's life time; he was constable
of Dover castle, lord warden of the Cinqueports, and ambassador
into France; one of the King's privy chamber, which it had been
happy for him if he had never enjoyed, for when that lustful prince,
Henry VIII. determined the Queen's destruction, he fell a sacrifice,
with four others, of the privy chamber, to make a clearer way for his
sister's death, and was consequently beheaded in the Tower of London,
May 17, 28 Henry VIII. 1536, his father then living; he left Jane,
daughter of Henry Parker Lord Morley, his widow.
2, Anne Boleyn, his sister, Queen of England, (see vol. iv. p. 35,)
second wife to King Henry VIII. and eldest daughter to Sir Thomas
Bullen aforesaid, and mother to Elizabeth Queen of England,
was privily married to that King, on St. Paul's day, Jan. 25, 1533, by
Dr. Rowland Lee, then Bishop of Coventry and Litchfield, (the King
having repudiated Queen Catherine his wife,) and in April following,
she being with child, was openly acknowledged Queen of England,
and afterwards was crowned with great pomp and solemnity. (see
Stow's Chronicle, fo. 567.) But her grandeur was of short continuance, for the King having taken a liking to Lady Jane, daughter
of Sir John Seymour, Knt. resolved to have her; and to make the
way clear, on May 2, 1536, he committed Queen Anne to the Tower,
who on the 15th following was there arraigned, before the Duke of
Norfolk as High Steward of England, (Stow, fo. 572,) accompanied
by the Duke of Suffolk, the Earl of Surrey, her own relations; and
though as the historian says, "she seemed fully to cleere herself of all
matters laid to her charge," being tried by her peeres 26 in number,
whereof the Duke of Suffolk was chief, she was by them found guilty,
and had judgment pronounced by the Duke of Norfolk, and accordingly, on May 19, was beheaded on a scaffold on the Green in the
Tower, and her body was buried in the quire of the chapel there, by
the Lord Rochford, her brother, and the very day following, the
King married the Lady Jane Seymour.
3, Mary, sister to Queen Anne Boleyn, married to William
Cary, esquire of the body to King Henry the VIII. and afterwards to
Sir William Stafford, Knt. and died in 1542.
Elizabeth Queen of England, daughter of Henry VIII. by
Anne Bullen, was born September 7, on Sunday, 1533, and died
March 24, 1602, and is interred in Westminster abbey.
She confirmed to her great uncle,
Sir James Boleyn of Blickling, Knt. that manor, and those of
Carbrook, West-Lexham, Calthorp Stukey, Filby, Posswick, &c. of all
which he died seized; and this manor came to the share of,
Sir John Clere of Ormesby, Knt. son and heir of Sir Robert
Clere, by Alice Boleyn his wife, one of the daughters of Sir William
Boleyn, and at length coheir to Sir Thomas and Sir James; he settled
here, and married Anne, daughter of Sir Thomas Tirrel of Gipping
in Suffolk, Knt. and left Blickling to his son and heir,
Edward Clere, Esq. who married Frances, daughter and
heiress of Sir Richard Fulmerston of Thetford, Knt. (see vol. ii.
p. 57, 66,) and was buried here, under a most curious altar tomb,
placed between the chancel and Boleyn's chapel; his effigies,
which laid upon it, is now gone, but there remain the arms and matches of his family, from the conquest to the time that his son and heir,
Sir Edward Cleere, and his mother Frances, (who died in 1616,) erected this tomb, which makes me speak of this family here, though their
ancient seat was at Ormesby in Norfolk. (fn. 28)
Clarus-Mons, or Clere-Mont in Normandy, gave name to this ancient family, of which,
Clere-Mont entered England with the Conqueror; he bare,
Arg. on a fess az. three eagles displayed or.
And for a crest, five ostridges feathers, arg. in a ducal crown proper, as all the Cleres ever since did.
This crest and shield is the
First on this tomb, and over it is this,
Clere Monte, Assistant to William Duke of Normandi, that conquered England, Anno Domini 1066, was succeeded by
2, The lord Clarrey, who married a daughter of Godfrey rle
Clere impales or three spears sab.; their son,
3, Edmund Clarrey, alias Clere, married Maude, daughter
of Sir John Martel, and came in with King William the Conqueror.
Clere impales Martel gul. three hammers or mallets or.
Some pedigrees call him Edward; he had a daughter Joan; and
Edward and John his eldest son, who is said to succeed his father in
the lordship of Runham in Flegg, in Norfolk, and hath this on the
4, John his heire married Amy, the daughter of Thomas
Clere impales Amberfield (or Amerville) per fess indented
arg. and gul. three annulets counterchanged; and it is sometimes
born with two plates in chief, and a torteaux in base instead of the
5, William his heire, married Julian, the daughter of Richard
Clere impales Molyns, paly wavy of six, or and gul.
6, Nicholas his heire married (Annabella or) Annable, daughter
and heire of Sir William de Ormesby, Knt. (fn. 29)
Clere quarters Ormesby, gul. a bend componè or and az. between six croslets arg. (fn. 30)
This coat ought to have been also impaled by this man, and quartered by his successours; by this match the lordship of Ormesby,
and a large estate belonging to that ancient family, came to the
Cleres, who fixed in the Ormesbys seat, and continued there.
7, William his heire, married (Catherine) the daughter and
heire of Sir John Snecke, Knt.
Clere quarters Ormesby, and impales Snecke, gul. a fess or,
in chief a label of three er.
8, Robart his heire, married (Melvin) the daughter and heir of
Sir John Westlesse, Knt.
Clere quartering Ormesby and Snecke impaling Westlesse arg. a chevron between 3 croslets fitchè, and 5 billets sab.
9, Nicholas his heir married Moriel, daughter of Robart Somerton,
Esq. of East Somerton. (fn. 31)
Clere quartering Ormesby, Snecke, and Westlesse, impaling
Somerton, or, on a chevron between three lions heads erased
gul. three besants.
10, Robart his heir married Ales, the daughter of Sir John Filby
of Filby, Knt.
Clere and quarterings as before, impaling Filby, arg. an inescotcheon in an orle of martlets gul.
This Robart, in 1340, was escheator of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex,
Cambridgeshire, and Huntingtonshire, was elected one of the knights
in parliament for the county of Norfolk, in the 18th of Edward III.
anno 1343, and with Bartholomew Bateman his partner, had 10l. 8s.
for 26 days attendance, allowed him. In 1345 he was again returned with John de Berneye, and again in 1347. He served again
in the parliament held in 1351, with John de Ratlesden; and in 1356
attending only 24 days, he had 5l. for his expenses, whereas the other
member, John de Berneye, attending 32 days, had 6l. 8s. for his
In 1360 he was guardian of the temporalities of the see of Norwich during Bishop Percy's absence beyond sea. It seems that he
and his wife rebuilt the church of Ormesby St. Margaret, for their
effigies remain in the north window next the rood-loft, with this,
Nos precibus Matris, salvet Sapientia Patris.
Orate pro animabus Roberti Clere, et Alicie Uroris eius.
They are buried under the tomb, without arms or inscription, by
this window; they had also William, who married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Thomas Newton, and another son, who married a
daughter and heir of Charles, and a daughter Sarah, married to
Somerton by whom she had Beatrice, who married Clememt Paston.
11, William his heir, married Diones, daughter of Sir William
Wichingham, whose heritage grew partable. (fn. 32)
This William, in 1351, was a knight, and serjeant at law, and in
1366 settled on Dionise his wife, his manors of Morehall, StrattonStreless, Vaux's in Burgh St. Mary, and Stalham-hall. In 1378 he
lent King Richard II. 40 marks towards his supporting the French
wars; and in 1381, 50 marks more for that purpose; he died in 1384,
and was buried in St. Margaret's chancel at Ormesby, John his son
being a minor; he seems to have been concerned in rebuilding the
chancel, for he lies under the old arched tomb on the north side, and
his arms are on the roof.
Clere, &c. impaling Wichingham, er. on a chief sab. three
croslets pattè or.
12, John his heir, married Elizabeth daughter of Sir Phillip Branch,
Clere, Ormesby, Snecke, Ormesby, Westlesse, and Wichingham,
Branche, arg a lion rampant gul. over all a bendlet sab.
This John, by reason of his estate in Burgh in Flegg, became a
ward to the Countess of Norfolk, of whom it was held by knight's
service. In 1390 he and Dionise his mother, purchased lands in
Scrouteby. He and his wife are buried in Norwich cathedral, as at
vol. iv. p. 35. She remarried to Sir John Rothenhale, Knt. and by
will gave to Robert Clere her son, all her goods at Ormesby, and to
Edmund Clere her son, all her goods at Castor, and her manor of
Horninghall there, and Henstede, Rothenhale, and Cleydon manors in
13, Robart his heir, married Elizabeth, daughter and heir of
Tho. Owydale, Esq. (fn. 33)
Clere, &c. as before, impaling Owydale or Dovedale, arg. a
cross moline gul. quartering gul. a chevron erm. between three delises or; and Rusteyn, a horse passant sab. trapped, bridled and
This Robert is said by all evidences to be buried in the cathedral
in Norwich, with Elizabeth Owydale his wife, as at vol. iv. p. 35; but
though she was, (fn. 34) it is plain to me now, that he was buried according
to his will, in the nave of Ormesby St. Margaret's church, with these
inscriptions; the former now remains, though the latter is lost:
Credo quod Redemptor meus vivit; de Terra surrecturus sum.
In Carne mea videbo Deum, Salbatorem meum.
Hic iaret Robeertus Clere, qui obiit iio. Mensis Augusti
Anno Dom. Mccccflbioruius anime propicietur Deus.
He gave all his estate for life to his wife, and at her death William (fn. 35)
his son was to have the manors of Ormesby, Freethorp, and the manor
and advowson of Winterton, &c. and Thomas his son to have Stratton Streeless manor, and Robert his son, Keswick manor in tail, after
the death of his sons without issue, to Edmund (fn. 36) his brother, remainder
to Margaret, daughter (fn. 37) of the said Robert.
14, Sir Robart his heir, married Ales, daughter of Sir William Boleyn of Blicklinge, Knt.
Clere and his quarters, viz. Ormesby, Snecke, Westlesse, Wichingham, Somerton, Owydale, and his two quarterings of the de-lises, and
Rusteyn, impaling Boleyn.
This Sir Robert was famed for his great wealth, (fn. 38) and acquired
much reputation for his manly courage; he was knighted on AllSaints eve 1494, by Henry Duke of York was sheriff of Norfolk
in 1501, and was present at that great interview between King Henry
VIII. and the French King on the 7th of June 1520, when he attended
the Queen with a grand equipage; his testament is dated August 1,
1529, by which he ordered his executors, as soon as they well could,
that they should cause 100 masses of the five wounds to be said for
him, and also that they should provide a priest to pray for his soul,
those of Dame Anne, daughter of Sir William Hopton, Knt. and of
Dame Alice, daughter of Sir William Boleyn of Blickling, Knt.
his two wives, and of all his ancestors and friends, and ordered
that this service should be kept five years in the church he was buried
in; but above all, he desired that if any persons could prove, that he
had hindered them, or against conscience wronged them, in their
goods or substance, that his executors on such proof should make
His first wife lies buried at the altar in Ormesby with this on a
Orate pro anima Domine Anne Clere, nuper Uroris Domini
Roberti Clere Militis, de Ormesby, que obiit rriiio die Mensis
Januarii, Anno Domini Mcccccv, cuius anime propicietur Deus.
His second wife is also buried at Ormesby with this, and Clere
Orate pro anima Domine Alicie Clere, nuper Uroris Robertt
Clere Militis, filie Willielmo Boleyn Militis, que obiit io de
Mensis Novemb' Anno Domini Mvcxxxviiio cuius anime propicietur
He lies buried at the altar by his wives, under a stone circumscribed with these words, and a shield of arms, between each word,
Orate pro anima Roberti Clere Militis, qui obiit decimo die
Mensis Augusti, Anno Domini Millessimo Quingentissimo Uices
simo Nono, cuius anime propicietur Deus Amen.
The arms are: 1, Clere, &c. being the same as on the tomb here.
By his first wife he had a son, William, (fn. 39) who died without issue;
but by the 2d, he had three sons, John, Richard, and Thomas, and
four daughters; Elizabeth, wife of Sir Robert Peyton of Iselham,
Knt.; (fn. 40) Anne, a nun at Denny; Dorothy, who married Robert Cotton;
and Etheldred or Audrey, who espoused William Jenney; Thomas,
the youngest son, was buried at Lambeth in 1545, and was a great
favourite with that learned peer, Henry Howard Earl of Northampton, (fn. 41)
who to perpetuate his memory, hath enumerated his services in the
Norfolk sprang thee, Lambeth holds the dead,
Clere of the County of Cleer-mont, though hight,
Within the Womb of Ormond's Race thou bred, (fn. 42)
And sawest thy Cosin Crowned in thy Sight;
Shelton for Love, Surry for Lord thou chuse,
Aye me! while Life did last, that League was tender,
Tracing whose Steps, thou sawest Kelsall blaze,
Laundersey burnt, and batter'd Bullen render;
At Muttrel Gates, hopeless of all Re-cure
Thine Earl, half Dead, gave in thy Hand his Will;
Which Cause did thee, this pining Death procure,
E're Summers, Seven times Seven, thou could'st fulfill.
Ah! Clere, if Love had booted, Care, or Cost,
Heaven had not wonn, nor Earth so timely lost.
15, Sir John Clere, Knt. his heir, married Anne, daughter of
Sir Thomas Tirrell, Knt. of Gipping in Suffolk.
Clere, and his quarters as before, impaling Tirrel, with a
martlet sab. for difference.
Sir John, in 1549, was treasurer of the King's army in France; in
1556 was employed to hire ships for the King's service against Scotland; in 1557 was made vice admiral, and sent to sea with a fleet
under his command, to alarm the northern coasts of Scotland; upon
his landing upon one of the Orkney Islands called Kirkway, the Scots
fell upon his men, and killed and drowned 80 of them, besides himself, who was drowned there in Aug. 1557, and died seized of the manor of Ormesby, the advowson of Winterton, and chapel of East
Somerton, Northall in Freethorp, the advowson of St. Edmund's in Norwich, Somerton manor, advowson and manor of Vauxhall in Burgh in
Fleg, Stalham-hall, Limpenhoe, Tacolneston, Vuedales, Tharston, Gonviles and Rusteyns in Wimondham, Blickling, Morehall, and Hawes, in
Salle, Stratton Streless, and the advowson, Scrateby, Fundenhall rectory, &c.
They had issue two daughters; Elizabeth, 1st wife of Walter Heronden, Esq. and secondly of Francis Trevor of Tacolneston, Esq.; and
Margaret, who married to William Haddon, Esq. one of the masters
of the Court of Requests; he died 21st August, 4th and 5th P. M.
1551, being then member for the burgh of Thetford. His sons
were, 1st, Robert Clere, who lost his life, fighting valiantly against the
Scots at the battle of Mussleborough. 2d, Thomas, who died at Florence; and 3d, Edward, who succeeded him.
16, Edward, heir of Sir John, married Frances, daughter and
heir of Sir Richard Fulmerston, Knt. (fn. 43)
Clere and his quarters as before, impaling Fulmerston, as
at vol. ii. p. 66, 129.
He resided at Blickling and Ormesby, was member for Thetford in
1556, (fn. 44) and for Grampound in Cornwall in 1558 and 1563, was highsheriff of Norfolk in 1567, had issue, 1st, Edward, his son and heir;
2d, Francis, who was knighted by James I. July 23, 1603, and married Elizabeth Wroth, but died without issue; 3d, Gilbert, who died
17, Edward Clere, was knighted at Norwich by Queen Elizabeth in her progress in these parts, (fn. 45) and in 1580 was high-sheriff
of Norfolk; he first married Margaret, daughter of William Yaxley
of Yaxley in Suffolk, Esq by whom he had Henry his son and heir;
and afterwards Agnes, relict of Sir Christopher Heydon of Baconsthorp, daughter of Robert Crane of Chilton in Suffolk, by whom he
had only Robert, who died young; he travelled into foreign parts, was
in such esteem at the French court, that he was elected one of the
knights of the Gullick Order of St. Michael; but affecting much
grandeur, and keeping a vast retinue, he contracted a large debt, and
was forced to sell a great part of his estate, and among others, (fn. 46) this
manor and advowson, to Sir Henry Hobart, Knt. attorney-general,
and dying June 8, 1606, at London, he was interred here, August 14,
with great solemnity, as the parish register informs me.
18, Sir Henry Clere of Ormesby, Esq. his son and heir, was
knighted by King James I. at the Charter-House, May 11, 1603, and
was created a baronet, 27 February 1620, 18th of James I.; (fn. 47) but
leaving no male issue, the title ceased in this family.
There is an altar-tomb in Ormesby chancel, with his arms, impaling Mondeford, gul. three de-lises arg. and this inscription,
Hic requiescit Henricus Clere Baronettus, (fn. 48) qui Thalamo
sibi Conjunxit, Merielem, Filiam Edmundi Domini Mondeford, Equitis Aurati, ex quâ habuit prolem Filiam unicam,
Abigalem, obijt xxii. Augusti, Anno Domini Mdcxxii. Ætatis suæ - - - - - - - - - - -
Arigail Clere, his daughter and sole heiress, married John
Cromwell of London, Esq.
The family of the Hobarts were anciently owners of the Tye
in Essex, now called Tye-Hall, and
John Hobart is mentioned as living there in 1389, 12 Richard
II.; his son.
Godfrey, lived in 1407, and was succeeded by his son,
John, about 1431, whose son, by a daughter and heir of AtteChurch, (fn. 49) left
Thomas Hobart of the Tye, who married Eleanor, daughter and
heiress of John Taylor, (fn. 50) alias Amfry, and died in 1450, whose son,
William, purchased and settled at Brent-Illegh in Suffolk, and
owned a good estate there in 1473; but his son,
Thomas, removed to Leyham in the same county, which estate he
William, his eldest son, who married Anne, daughter of Sir
Philip Tilney, from whom the Hobarts of Monks Illegh, and afterwards of Lindsey, and those of Milding, (fn. 51) and others who settled in
London, are descended.
James Hobart, the younger son of Thomas, born at Monks
Illegh in Suffolk, was the first of the family that settled in Norfolk,
and by his prudent management left a fine estate to his posterity, (fn. 52) and
with it, this excellent character, that he was, a right good man, of
great learning and wisdom; (fn. 53) he was brought up to the law, which he
studied in Lincoln's-Inn with great success, and became of such reputation, that he transacted the affairs of many of the principal families
in this county, when he was very young; being reader in LincolnsInn, in Lent-Term, 1447, and in Edward the Fourth's time in 1472,
Walter Le-Hert, or Lyhert, Bishop of Norwich, (fn. 54) made him one of his
executors, and it seems that he had married his niece, (fn. 55) (who was then
dead,) for his first wife, by whom he had no issue; for the Bishop
gave him 20l. as an executor, and 100l. and a cup of silver gilt, with
his arms at the bottom, on condition that he claimed nothing more of
his goods. In 1484, 2d Richard III. he was elected one of the governours of Lincolns-Inn, and the 2d of November, in the 2d of Henry
VII. 1486, was constituted attorney-general to the King, (fn. 56) and afterwards sworn of his privy-council; and this year it appears, that he
was in high reputation with the citizens of Norwich, (fn. 57) and in 1493,
he was arbitrator to settle the disputes between the prior and convent,
and the city; (fn. 58) (fn. 59) in 1496, he was elected their recorder, and burgess
in parliament for the city; in 1498 he was executor to Bishop Goldwell; (fn. 60) and on February 18, in the 19th of Henry VII. 1503, was
dubbed one of the knights of the sword, at the creation of Henry
Prince of Wales, and was then in the highest esteem. (fn. 61) He was
certainly a man of great bounty and generosity, as his public works
testify; his elegant parish church of the Holy Trinity at Loddon,
which he built in 1495, is one testimony, in the east chancel window
of which, he fixed his own and wife's effigies on their knees, (fn. 62) in praying postures, with their arms on their surcoats, viz. Hobard with a
crescent, for distinction of his being a second brother, and Naunton
sab. three martlets or, she being daughter of Peter Naunton, Esq.; he
holds up the church, and she St. Olave's or St. Tooley's bridge,
which they also built over the Waveny or county river, that divides
Norfolk and Suffolk, and made the commodious causeway by it; and
under them was this inscription:
Regis, qui hane Ecclesiam a prima Fundamento condidit in tribus
Annis cum suis propriis Bonis, Anno Regis Henrici Septimi
And I should not do justice to his memory, should I omit his being
a principal benefactor towards the Council-chamber in the Guild-hall
of the city in 1511, when it was rebuilt, in which there is a picture of
him now remaining, in his hat and band, holding a parcel of papers. (fn. 63)
His magnificence to the noble arched roof of the cathedral church
was such, that his arms were there carved among the principal benefactors; (fn. 64) the ancient house in Loddon, called Hales-hall, in which
he lived, was great part of it built by him, and continued the place of
his country residence to his death, though he had two city-houses,
one in London and another in Norwich. (fn. 65)
Weever, fo. 861, says, that Margaret his wife, who died in 1494,
was buried at Loddon, which I do not think, but rather, that she was
interred in the cathedral at Norwich, by whom he himself was also
buried, his tomb still remaining between the 9th and 10th north
pillars; (fn. 66) an account of which you may see in vol. iv. p. 28, and in
my plan of the cathedral, (number 31;) Mr. Rice says, that he died
in 1507, but he was alive and recorder in 1511, and lived to a very
advanced age, and truly merited the learned Cambden's account of
him, that he deserved well of the church, the country, and the commonweale. He had two sons and one daughter,
Catherine, who lies buried in the altar at Loddon, with this on a
Of your Charity pray for the Soule of Dame Kateryn Samp-
son, late the wyfe of Syr Thomas Sampson. Rnt. and laate the
Wyfe of master John Blomebile, Esq. on whose Sowles Jesu
habe Mercy Amen
Blundevile or Blomevile with a crescent, impales Hobart.
Walter, his eldest son, succeeded at Hales-hall, was first knighted,
and was sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk 27th Henry VIII. 1535, he
removed and settled at Morley, (fn. 67) and married,
1st, Anne, daughter to Sir Henry Heydon, Knt. from whom the
Hobarts of Hales-hall and Bliford in Suffolk are descended; and
2d, Anne, daughter to John Ratcliff Lord Fitz-walter, (fn. 68) and sister
to Robert Ratcliff Earl of Sussex and Lord Fitz-walter, from whom
the Hobarts of Morley are descended.
Miles Hobart of Plumstede, second son to Sir James, settled at
Plumstede, and by his wife Audrey, daughter and coheiress of William
Hare of Beeston in Norfolk, Esq. (fn. 69) had two sons;
Miles, who was knighted and settled at Plumstede, and
Henry, who studied the law in Lincolns-Inn, and became a man
of note in his profession very early. (fn. 70) In 1590, 22d of April, he was
married at Blickling, to Dorothy, daughter of Sir Robert Bell of
Beaupre-Hall in Upwell, Knt. Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer,
by whom he had 16 children; in 1595 he was chosen steward of the
city of Norwich, and the next year was elected one of the governours
of his own year inn; and the same year was returned burgess in
parliament for Yarmouth, as also in the year 1600; and in 1603 was
called to the degree of serjeant at law. On the accession of James I.
to the English crown, he was himself knighted, with John his eldest
son, 23d July, 1603. (fn. 71) He served for the city of Norwich in the first
parliament called by that King, and being in high reputation for his
abilities, and learning, in 1605, was made attorney to the Court of
Wards; and the same year, July the 4th, was constituted the King's
attorney general; and in 1610, June 22, was appointed by letters
patent, (fn. 72) one of the first governours of the Charter-house, and advanced
to the degree of a baronet, at the first institution in 1611, being
the ninth in precedency; and the same year, October 26, was constituted Lord Chief Justice of the Common-Pleas, (fn. 73) in which post he acquitted himself with honour, and died therein December 26, 1625, being a
great loss to the publick, as Sir Henry Spelman observes; the reports
of several law cases have been published since his death with this title:
The Reports of that Reverend and Learned Judge, the Right Honourable Sir Henry Hobart, Knt. and Bart. Lord Chief Justice of his
Majesty's Court of Common-Pleas, and Chancellor to both their
Highnesses, Henry and Charles, (fn. 74) Princes of Wales, &c. before
which, there is a copper-plate of him; his motto was, Non morior, sed
vivam; as to his being buried in the cathedral, (fn. 75) I belive it is a mistake,
the monument there being for the attorney general, James Hobart;
I rather think he was interred at Blickling, which he purchased of
Sir Edward Clere. He had a city-house in Norwich, where his eldest
son, Henry, who died young, was born the 28th of April, 1591, and
Henry, his youngest, Nov. 17, 1619. Dorothy, his eldest daughter,
was born in 1591; his others were, Mary Elizabeth, born in 1608,
married to John Lisle, Esq. and died in 1633, for whom there is a
monument in Highgate church in Middlesex, where she was buried,
as was Frances, her youngest sister, who married Hewet, Esq. and died
in 1632. He was succeeded in honour and estate by
John, his eldest surviving son, who was born at Norwich, April
19, 1593, and was knighted with his father; and he it was that built
the present noble house, called Blickling-hall, immediately after
his father's death, for it was finished, and the chapel in it consecrated,
in 1628; (fn. 76) over the entrance are the arms and quarterings of Hobart,
between two shields; on the first, Hobart impales Bell, being the
arms of his father and mother; on the 2d, Hobart impales Sidney,
being the arms of himself and wife; the building is a curious brick
fabrick, foursquare, with a turret at each corner; there are two courts,
and with the fine library, elegant wilderness, good lake, gardens, and
park, is a pleasant beautiful seat, worthy the observation of such as
make the Norfolk tour.
In 1625, he was parliament-man for Thetford, and in 1640 was
returned for the county of Norfolk, having been high sheriff of that
county in 1633; he had two wives, Philippa, daughter to Robert
Sidney Earl of Leicester, and Frances, daughter to John Egerton
Earl of Bridgewater; but at his death in 1647, left no issue male. (fn. 77)
This noble lady was born in London in 1603, being the eldest of of
eight daughters of the Right Honourable John Egerton Earl of
Bridgewater, Viscount Brackley, and Lord Elsmore, by Frances, daughter to the Right Houourable Ferdinando Earl of Derby; and though
they had nine children, one daughter only lived to marrigeable years, all
the rest dying young; the young lady was afterwards married to that
honourable and worthy person, Sir John Hobart, Baronet, the heir
of her father's honour and family, by whom it pleased God, after some
years, to give her a son, after which, this young and noble lady did
not long survive, being immaturely taken away by the small-pox,
many years before the death of her mother, nor did her only child long
survive its mother; so that she lived to see her wise God stripping her
of every branch that had sprang out of her root, to let her know he
had a better name for her, than that of sons and daughters; to use the
very words of Dr. Collings, minister of St. Stephen's in Norwich, in
which parish, Chapel-field-house stands, where this noble lady lived,
and the Doctor also, who was taken by Sir John Hobart as his
chaplain in 1646 into the house, where she died on Sunday Nov. 27,
1664, in the 61st year of her age, and was interred with her husband in
the vault at Blickling, Dec. 1, 1664. (fn. 78) Her chaplain, Dr. Collings, (fn. 79)
published her life, and that of her sister, the lady Catherine Courteen,
which was printed at London 1669, in octavo, under the title of Par
Nobile, and dedicated to the Right Honourable the Lady Elizabeth,
Countess Dowager of Exeter, sister to the Lady Frances, to whose
memory, among others, were these lines printed;
You in Devotions, who were wont to go
To Walsingham, hence forward, learn to know
The way to Chappelfield, there you may see,
The Place were once this Saint abode, where she
So long wrought Miracles of Love: Far more,
Than your dull College, that was there before:
Thence Weeping pass to Blickling Vault, and there,
Pay your Devotions to her Sepulcher:
When this is done, go you and do likewise,
Acknowledge Christ the only Sacrifice
For Sin. Take Heaven, upon the Gift of Grace,
Then Work as She. Thus you may see the Place
Where she abides, and a Saint Frances find,
(Can you beleive't ?) that was not of your mind.
Upon failure of the line of his cousin Sir Thomas Hobart, he became
possessed of the estate at Plumstede, which with his own estate, by
entail descended to his nephew,
John Hobart, Esq. son and heir of his next brother,
Sir Milel Hobart, who was born at Plumstede, April 12, 1595,
was knighted at Salisbury, by James I. August 8, 1623, and being a
member in that parliament, which met March 17, 1627, he was
remarkably diligent in opposing the designs of the Court, and was
one of those members, who foreseeing the dissolution of it, on March
2, 1628, forcibly held the Speaker in the chair, whilst they published a
protestation in the house declaring, 1, Who-ever shall bring in innovation
of religion, or by favour or countenance seek to extend or introduce
Popery or Arminianism, or other opinion disagreeing from the truth
and orthodox church, shall be reputed a capital enemy to this kingdom
and commonwealth. 2. Who-ever shall councel or advise the taking
and levying of the subsidies of tonnage and poundage, not granted by
parliament, or shall be an actor or instrument therein, shall be likewise
reputed an innovator in the government, and capital enemy to the kingdom and commonwealth. 3. If any merchant or person whatsoever, shall
voluntarily yield or pay the said subsidies of tonnage and poundage, not
being granted by Parliament, he shall likewise be reputed a betrayer of
the liberties of England, and an enemy to the same. On this the
parliament was immediately dissolved, and Sir Miles imprisoned, for
locking the door of the house, during the publishing of the aforesaid
protestation, but was discharged in 1631, on giving security for his
good behaviour; whether he was imprisoned again, I know not; but
it should seem he suffered other hardships, for though he died before
the civil wars broke out, his sufferings were esteemed so meritorious
by the long parliament, that in 1646, they voted 5000l. should be
given to his children, in recompense thereof, and for opposing the
illegalities of that time. He had issue by Susan, his wife, daughter
of Sir John Peyton of Iselham in Cambridgeshire, a daughter, Alice,
married to John Jermy of Bayfield in Norfolk, Esq. and
Sir John Hobart, Bart. his son and heir, who succeeded his uncle
as aforesaid, being knight of the shire for the county of Norfolk, (fn. 80) in
the three last parliaments called by King Charles II. and had the
honour of a visit from that King at Blickling, (fn. 81) where he knighted his
eldest son Henry. (fn. 82) He married Mary, daughter of John Hampden
of Hampden in Buckinghamshire, Esq. and widow of Colonel Hammond; (fn. 83) the three other sons were, John, (fn. 84) late a brigadier-general in
the army of his present Majesty, and captain and governour of
Pendennis Castle in Cornwall, who died at his house in Queen's-street,
November 7, 1734, and Thomas, of Lincoln's-Inn, who died unmarried,
and are both buried here with this inscription:
Near this Place are deposited the Bodies of Brigadier John
Hobart, and of Thomas Hobart, Esq; sons of Sir John
Hobart, Bart. this Monument was erected by the Direction of
the said John Hobart, in Memory of their inviolable Friendship,
As also James, who is buried under a black marble in the chancel,
with this inscribed thereon,
Under this Marble Stone lieth the Body of James Hobart,
Esq; whose Monument was erected at the East End of this
Chancel, by his Father Sir John Hobart of Blickling Baronet,
he was buried the 23d of October, 1670.
On the monument is this,
This Monument was erected by Sir John Hobart of Blickling, Bart. in Memory of his Deare and (then) second Son, James
Hobart, Esq; by Mary the Daughter of John Hampden of
Hampden in the County of Bux, Esq; he was a Youth of great
Hopes for this Life and that to come, farr beyonde his Age, not
being fully nine Years old, and was buried the 23d of October
Crest and arms of Hobart, and his quartering, viz. Atte-church,
Taylor, Lyhert, and Hare.
Hobart impales Lyhert, Heydon, Bell, and
Hampden, arg. a saltier gul. between four eagles displayed az.
Sir John and his lady are both interred in the vault of his own
fitting up. He was succeeded by his son,
Sir Henry Hobart, in 1682, who was elected a burgess for
King's-Lyn, in the parliament that met at Oxford in 1681, and sat
with his father, who served there as knight of the shire for Norfolk.
He was a very great friend to and promoter of, the Revolution, and
in the convention parliament, (being then knight of the shire for Norfolk,) he declared for the vacancy of the throne. Afterwards he was
gentleman of the horse to King William, and attended on him at the
battle of the Boyne in Ireland. In 1695, he was again elected to
serve in parliament for the county, and always behaved liked a man of
honour in that post, but being disappointed of his election in 1698, and
resenting some words said to be spoken by Oliver Le Neve, Esq.
(which Le Neve denied under his hand) a challenge was given, and a
duel ensued, in which Sir Henry passed his sword through Neve's
arm, and Neve ran his into Sir Henry's belly, of which wound he died
the next day, being Sunday, 21 August, 1698, and was interred in the
vault here; he married the eldest daughter and coheir of Joseph Maynard, Esq. son and heir of Sir John Maynard, Knt. one of the commissioners of the great seal in the reign of King William. She died
his widow, 22 Aug. 1701, and is in the vault with him; they had three
1, Henrietta, married to Charles Howard, late Earl of Suffolk,
afterwards remarried to the Honourable George Berkley, Esq. and
was mother to the late Earl of Suffolk.
2, Katherine, who married Major-General George Churchill,
colonel of a regiment of dragoons, groom of the bed chamber to his
Majesty, governour of Plimouth, and member in parliament for
3, Dorothy, who died single, and one son,
John, now Earl of Buckinghamshire, who was educated at
Clarehall in Cambridge, and at his return from his travels was elected
member for St. Ives in Cornwall, in the first parliament of George I.
and in 1722, for the same borough, as also for that of Beer-Alston in
Devonshire; in that reign he was constituted one of the commissioners
for trade and the plantations; and on the 27th of May, 1725, was elected
one of the knights companions of the most honourable Order of the
Bath; on the accession of his present Majesty, he was made treasurer
of the chamber, and chosen a knight of the shire for Norfolk, and
burgess for Beer-Alston; and in May 1728 was advanced to the
dignity of a baron of this realm, by the title of Lord Hobart,
Baron Hobart of Blickling in the county of Norfolk; and in 1730
was constituted assay-master or, tryer of the tin, belonging to the
Prince of Wales, by his Royal Highness; and on January 31, 1739,
was sworn lord lieutenant of the county of Norfolk. (fn. 85) On his Lord
ship's resigning his post of treasurer of the chamber, his Majesty was
pleased to constitute him captain of the band of Gentlemen Pensioners
on December 25, 1744; and the 3d of January following, he was
sworn of the privy council; and on August 20, 1746, was advanced
to the dignity of an Earl of the kingdom of Great-Britain, by the
name, style, and title, of Earl of Buckinghamshire; his present titles
Earl of Buckinghamshire, (created August 20, 1746, 20 George
II.) Baron Hobart of Blickling, (28 May, 1728, 1st George II.)
and Baronet, (22 May 1611, 9 James I.) Captain of the Band of
Gentlemen Pensioners to his Majesty, Lord Lieutenant and Custos
Rotulorum, of the County of Norfolk, and Vice-Admiral of the
same; one of the Lords of his Majesty's most Honourable Privy
Council, and one of the Knights Companion of the most honourable
Order of the Bath.
His lordship's first wife was,
Judith, daughter and coheir to Robert Britiff, Esq. recorder of
Norwich, (fn. 86) they were married Sunday Nov. 8, 1717, at Thorp Market;
and she died February 7, 1727, and was deposited in the family
vault; they had issue,
1, Henry, born 20 July, 1718, but died an infant.
2, John, now Lord Hobart, late of Christ's college in Cambridge,
and now member in parliament for the city of Norwcih.
3, Robert, who died May 22, 1733, in the 8th year of his age, and
is in the vault here.
And also five daughters, who all died young, except Lady Dorothy, who is now single.
His lordship afterwards married
Elizabeth, sister to Robert Bristow, Esq. sometime member in
parliament for the town of Winchelsea, by whom he hath two sons,
George, who had his present Majesty for his godfather, and
Henry, who had the Right. Hon. the Earl of Effingham (fn. 87) for his
Sable, a star of eight points or rays, or, between two flanches,
Crest, on a wreath, a bull passant, party per pale sable and
gules, all bezantè, and a ring in his nose or.
Supporters, on the dexter side a stag, on the sinister a talbot,
both proper and regardant, each having a radiant collar and line or.
Motto. Auctor pretiosa facit.
Family seats here and at Gunnalsbury in Middlesex, two miles
from Brentford, and six from London.
In the chancel is a black marble with this,
Here lies reserved to the Resurrection of the Just, the Body of
the Right Honourable the Lady Katherine, (late Wife to
William Courtene, Esq;) the Seventh Daughter to the Right
Honourable John (late) Earl of Bridgewater, She died at Norwich, March 25, A. D. 1652.
Stand Living Man! Learne from this Stone,
What small Dimensions measure One
In Death, tho' high her Quality
By Birth; by Grace she higher bee;
Here lies one nobly borne, (fn. 88) one blest,
With all the Riches of the East
Then stript of all, and in the Place,
Receiv'd of God, Riches of Grace:
These made her Covetous to see,
The Mine, whence came such Treasury:
This God observing, called her; Shee,
Would take the Opportunitie,
Her Soule for Haste, there to appeare,
Clogg'd with the Body, dropt it heere,
Engaging to it i., the Morn',
Of th' Resurrection, to return,
And reassume, it's Union;
Reader! weigh this, and then pass on.
Crest, a talbot issuant, Courtene, or, a talbot passant sable
Egerton, arg. a lion rampant gul. three pheons sab. Crest,
a lion rampant gul. holding a dart, proper.
The life of this lady, and her funeral sermon, from Psalm 17, 15,
preached at Blickling, at her funeral, March 27, 1652, was published
by Dr. Collinges, with that of her sister, the Lady Frances Hobart,
and was dedicated to William Courtene, Esq. her nephew.
On a black marble, at the altar,
Here lieth under this Marble Stone, the Body of Miles
Hobart, Esq; second Son of Miles Hobard of Intwood in this
County, Esq. (fn. 89) by Elizabeth the Daughter of Edmond Mondeford,
he was buried the 10th Day of April 1671, in the 34th Year of
On divers brasses, beginning at the west end of the south isle,
Orate pro anima Thome Barkar, cuius anime propicietur Deus.
Here lyeth Tho Barkar on whose Soule God must have Merry,
Orate pro anima Galfridi appleyerb, cuius anime tc.
Here lyeth Agnes Appleycrd, buryd the vi. Daye of March, the
iiid Sunday of Lent in the Yer of our Lord Mcccclxxxiiii, Robert
Phillens, (fn. 90) and Myllm. Beynald Musbands of the sayd Agnes, of
whose Soule Jhu have Meccy Amen.
In 1540 died John Appleyard of Blickling, leaving Margaret his
wife, Roger his son, Peter his brother, and Roger his father.
This branch of this ancient family had been fixed here a long time.
Orate pro anima Rogeri Walsh, Benerosi, qui obiit rbii die
Septemb' Anno Dni. Moccccolxxxxix. cuius anime propicietur
Effigies of a woman with a child in both arms,
Orate pro anima Anna Awade, Uroris secunde Chome Asteley,
de Melton Cunstable Armigeri, que in die sancti Agapiti Mar-
tyris Masculum et Femellam ad Partum peperit, et post pariendi
Periculum, subito migravit ad Dominum, Anno Mo Benignissimi
In the nave by the west end,
Orate pro anima Margarete Brise, cuius tc.
Were Iyth Margareet Malour, on whose Somle Bod have Mercy.
Orate pro anima Roberti Brise, qui obiit Ano. Dni. Mo.
Uorviii, cuius tc.
Orate pro anima Jovis: Cok qui obiit xxx die Augusti 1503,
In the chancel,
Robert Leminge Survair, Deceased 6 Jan. 1628, Æt. 79.
Jasper Wiseman, an Infant, May 31, 1672.
Mary, Wife of Martin Sendall, Sept. 22, 1747. 25.
John Sendall, Father of the said Martin, Jan. 8, 1748. 53,
On the south chancel wall is an arched monument, with the effigies
of a woman kneeling; the arms are,
Gurdon, sab. three leopards heads jessent fleur-de-lis, or.
Impaling Brampton of Pulham and Letton, gul. a fess arg. in
chief, three bezants.
Elizabeth quæ habuit Patrem Johannem Gordon de
Amiam que Matrem, unicam Prolem Bramptoni de Letton,
Hoc Tumulo conditur, et Gestu et Forma laudanda,
In Morte Christicola, Vita Fineque approbanda,
Obijt Anno Dni. 1582, Æt. Suæ xvij.
In Memoriam ejus Edwardus Clere Miles, Posuit
On marbles by the altar,
Here lyeth the Body of Mrs. Margaret Graile. Here lyeth
the Body of her loving and tender Mother Mrs. Elizabeth Graile,
who Died May 5, 1725, Aged 77 Years.
At the east end of the chancel is a mural monument with the
Graile, sab. a cross humetté or, pierced. Crest, four
To the deserved Memory of Mrs. Margaret Graile, who
died Sept. 30, 1723, Aged 42. This Monument is erected by
her Father John Graile, Rector of this Parish, who beseeches
God that all his Parishioners, may live as Piously as she did,
and after Death be as Happy as she is. O my Friends! Let us
always Fear and Love, Serve and Obey the Lord our God during
our short Life hereupon Earth, and he will hereafter, thro Jesus
Christ, abundantly Reward us with Life Eternal, among the
blessed Saints and Angels in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Elizabeth Daughter of John and Elizabeth Robertson, 29 June,
Remember Friends as you pass by,
As you are, so Once was I,
As I am now so shall you be,
Remember Friends that you must Dye.
In a south window, parted per pile or and az. six martlets counterchanged.
Fastolff, in the garter. Fastolff and Kerdeston, Bullen and
Ormond, Bullen and Hoo, Dagworth, Erpingham, Bavent, Sir John
Martell, &c. in the windows.
On the roof, Billingford, and arg. on a fess gul. three roses or,
arg. three mullets sab. between two cotises engrailed gul.
Ingram, erm. on a fess gul. three escalops or.
On another mural monument in the chancel,
Consalvus Hargrave, died the 2d of April, Anno Æt. 2,
1626, and lieth here buried.
Had he lived to be a Man,
This Inch had growne but to a span,
Now he is past all Feare and Paine,
It were Sin to wish him here againe,
Vewe but the Way by which we come,
Thoul't say he is best, that's first at Home,
Anne Hargrave died a Maiden, Aged 22, July 13, 1635.
John Hargrave, a Freeman of the Company of Joiners in London,
by his Trade a Carver, and a most excellent Workman in that
Faculty, but few of that trade in London, that did exceed him,
died a single Man at the Age of 26 Years, June 9, 1640. Charles
Hargrave, a single Man, a Shoemaker of Norwich, died June 25,
1640, Æt. 23.
Sleep Sweetly, Sleep, Slumber this Night away,
The World at last shall burn, and then it will be Day.
On a brass in the nave, having a man and 11 boys, and a Woman
and 4 girls.
Jsto sub Marmore Corpora requiescunt humata,
Rogeri‡ Felthory, qui obiit quinto die Mensis Aprilis, Ano Dni.
Mccccliv, et Cecilie Uroris ejusdem, quorum animabus propicietur
Orate pro anima Agnet: Jekyl, cuius tc.
Orate pro anima Johanne Ward, que obiit xxo die Oct. A. D.
Orate pro anima Willi. Balys cuius etc. The three last in
the north isle.
The ancient family of the Blicklings took their name from this
village; Alan de Bekeling (fn. 91) had a good estate here, and in 1257,
Thomas de Blickling settled 90 acres of land here, on William de
Blickling; and Baldwin of Blickling settled 50 acres on him in
Bridgeham; and it appears that this William was son of Bertram
de Blickling, on whom in 1239 William de Cressy settled 100 acres of
land, 12 acres of wood, and a mill, in Blickling and Horseford; Roger
de Blickling was William's son, and had 80 acres of land here, besides
the aforementioned land; and from him descended Adam de Blickling, who in 1312 was a citizen of Norwich, and from him and Catherine his wife descended Simon, who by Isabel his wife, had Roger, and
he by Anne his wife had Robert, who in 1452, was buried in the
church of St. Mary, belonging to the nuns at Carhoe, by Margaret
his wife, and willed a stone to be laid over them, leaving Leonard his
son, and Elizabeth his daughter; he ordered a marble pavement to be
laid in the north isle of the chapel at St. Mary in the Fields in Norwich, where his grandfather is buried, &c.
COLLATED BY THE BISHOPS OF NORWICH.
1303, Alan de Ely, (for whom see vol. iii. p. 497, 647,) resigned.
1303, Mr. William de Foderingheie.
1311, Alan de Ely again.
1311, Richard son of Thomas of St. John's house (or St. John) in
Wisbitch, by the Pope's provision. Alan de Ely, being instituted to
Melford in Suffolk, resigned this.
1329, William de Salteby, domestick chaplain to Bishop Blundevile,
who was inducted by the vicar of Elmham.
1361, Sir William de Swyneflete, of whom see vol. iii. p. 632.
1361, Walter Lathum of Redeness, resigned.
1367, Thomas de Barton; he changed for St. Gerend in Cornwall, in
1382, with Robert Burgeys; he changed for Chaggeford in Exeter
1384, with William ‡ Felthorp, who was succeded in
1395, by William Carleton, L.L.D. for whom see vol. iii. p. 632, who
being old, made an exchange in
1414, with Henry Jervis, L L.B. who is buried under a stone in the
chancel, with this on a brass plate,
Orate pro anima Magistri Henrici Jerheys, quondam Rectoris
istius Ecclesie, qui obiit rro die Mensis Maii, A. D. Mcccclr.
1460, Edmund Keeche, who died and was succeeded in
1476, by John Jullys, and he by
Walter Wolmer, at whose death in
1501, Richard Dawe, A. M. had it, and after him,
John Bishop of Calcedon, suffragan to the Bishop, of whom
see vol. iv. p. 306. He resigned in
1533, and Edmund Skyte, chaplain to Bishop Nix, succeeded, and
was the last collated by the Bishop of Norwich, in right of the see;
at his death in
1555, Thomas Downing had it, at whose death, in
1560, Robert Sertaine, was presented by Sir James Boleyn, Knt.
1566, Nicholas Hewitt, A. M. Edward, Clere, Esq.
1605, Sir Edward Clere, Knt. gave it to
James Hargrave, for whom there remains a small mural
monument at the end of the south isle thus inscribed,
Depositum Jacobi Hargrave Clerici et Artium Magistri,
qui postquam hujus Ecclesiæ per Annos 40, Rector fuisset, hunc
Tumulum in certa Spe Resurrectionis ad Vitam Æternam Vivus
posuit, A. D. 1645. Æt. Suæ 64.
Nec Temerè, nec Timide, Piè obijt in Domino.
(fn. 92) Oblivio. Oblivio. Oblivio.
Oblivioni datus sum tanquam Mortuus a Corde. Psalm 31, 14.
In te Domine Speravi, non confundar in Æternum. Psalm 31, 1.
In the east window of this isle,
Jacobus Margrave, huius Ecclesiæ Rector; Ano 1608.
Christus mihi Uia, Uita, et Ueritas.
1645, on Hargrave's death,
Edmund Deye had it, who was succeeded by
William Bell, who resigned in
1661, to John Berrowe, A. M. John Hobart, Bart.
1663, Daniel Wiseman, (Ditto,) who resigned in 1674, and Sir
John Hobart, Bart. gave it to
John Graile, A. M. This learned and pious pastor published
many things during his life, (see p. 380,) as three sermons at Norwich cathedral, a fourth at Blickling, Lond. 1685, oct. &c.; (see vol.
iv. p. 362;) the following inscription is for him in the chancel,
Here lieth the Body of Mr. John Graile, who having been
through God's great Mercy, Rector of this Parish, almost 59
Years, departed from this Temporal Life Nov. 18 Day 1732, in
the 87th Year of his Age; with a comfortable Hope of having
all his Sins pardoned, for the Merits and thro' the Mediation of
our Lord Jesus Christ, and with a joyful Expectation of his
Rising again to Life Eternal.
Post Vitam Terris sat longam, Christe benigne, (fn. 93)
In Cœlis tecum, sit mihi Vita precor.
1732, The Rev. Mr. Thomas Gallant, the present rector, holds it
united to Burgh by Aylesham, and was presented by the Right
Honourable John, now Earl of Buckinghamshire, the present
The church is in Ingworth deanery, and is dedicated to St.
Andrew, and there were three gilds, of St. Andrew, St. John Baptist,
and our Lady, (fn. 94) held in it; it was first valued at 5 marks, afterwards
at 16; it stands now in the King's Books as a rectory, valued at
10l. 13s. 4d. and pays 1l. 1s. 4d. yearly tenths, and is therefore incapable of augmentation; the procurations to the archdeacon are 7s. 7d.
ob. per annum, and 11d. synodals to the Bishop, and the ancient
Peter-pence were 4d. ob.; and in 1612, the dean and chapter had
a pension of 13s. 4d. being a composition for the third part of the
tithes of the Bishop's demeans, which was given by John of Oxford,
to the Norwich monks, and by them settled on their hospital of
Norman-spital, as in vol. iv. p. 429 et seq. and was confirmed by divers
Bishops and Kings.
John de Gray Bishop of Norwich passed a license to appropriate
this church to the monks of Norwich; and in 1265, Simon, then
Bishop, actually confirmed it to the use of the celerer, and it was to
be served by a stipendiary chaplain only; but the whole being not
effectually passed before he voided the see, and no confirmation from
the King or Pope, his successour set all aside, and so it remains a
rectory to this day.
The town is in the liberty of the dutchy of Lancaster, and is
valued at 525l. to the land-tax, and pays 10s. 2d. to every 300l. levy
of the county-rate, and used to pay 4l. 10s to every tenth, when the
taxes were levied that way.