Clavering Hundred
Thorp, by Hadesco

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Francis Blomefield

Pages

56-58

Citation Show another format:

'Clavering Hundred: Thorp, by Hadesco', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 8, pp. 56-58. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78403 Date accessed: 24 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THORP, BY HADESCO.

This town is not mentioned in the grand survey, being part of Roger Bigot's manor of Hadesco, and part of Ralph de Beaufoe's manor of Aldeby in this hundred, and therein accounted for; from the Bigots Earls of Norfolk it came to Thomas de Brotherton Earl of Norfolk, by grant of his brother King Edward II. and so to the Lord Segrave, the Mowbrays, and the Howards Dukes of Norfolk.

In the 20th of Edward III. Stephen de Catfield, William de Thorpdale, &c. held a quarter of a fee, which Nicholas de Potter, and the tenants of John de Thorpdale formerly held of the Earl of Norfolk; and in the 4th of Henry IV. the lord had a quarter of a fee called Potters. Richard de Catfield died seized of the manor of Thorp by Hadesco in the first year of Richard II. and Stephen was his son and heir.

William Catfeld of this town, by his testament dated January 14, 1474, was buried in this church, gives his manor of Thorp, called Hadesco-thorp, to Alice, his wife, for life; remainder to Richard de Southewell, Esq. (fn. 1) (of Wood Rising) who had bought the reversion of William Catfeld;—Nicholas Catfeld, his brother, mentioned; proved July 19, 1475; the Bigots Earls of Norfolk, the Lords Mowbray, and the Howards, were the capital lords of this fee, and presented, as will appear, to a moiety of the church.

Ralph de Beaufoe's interest herein, as lord of Aldby, came, as may be there seen, to his daughter and heir, Agnes, married to Hubert de Rye, and this was held by the Roscelines, as in Aldby; William de Rosceline was lord and patron of a moiety of this church in the reign of Edward I. under the Barons of Rye. After this it was in the Marshals, and from them came to the Lords Morley, the Lovels, and the Parkers Lords Morley. Edward Lord Morley, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, conveyed it to his 2d son, Henry Parker, Esq. after this it was conveyed to the Calthorps, and Christopher Calthorp, Esq. of Aldeby, presented to this church, in the 9th of James I. Sir James Calthorp, his son and heir, gave it to his 2d son, Henry, who was recorder of London and a knight, and died seized of it Ao. 1637, and of Ampton in Suffolk; and his immediate descendant, James Calthorp, Esq. was lord in 1742.

Robert's (son of Corbun) lordship in Hadesco, also extended into this town, which came after to the Albinys Earls of Arundel, the Tateshals, and the Cliftons. In the 20th of Edward III. the prior of St. Olaves, the heirs of Robert de Gillingham, &c. held here a quarter of a fee, which the prior, and Robert formerly held of the Lord Tateshale; and in 1428, the temporalities of that priory were valued at 10s. ob. Adam Bacon aliened to it 3 messuages, and 45 acres of land here, in Norwich, &c. Ao 6 Edward II.

The tenths were 3l. 14s.—Deducted 14s. and the Gilbertine nuns had temporalities valued at 10s.

The Church is a rectory dedicated to St. Matthew, and consisted of two medieties. In the 18th of Hen. III. Andrew Wascelein granted by fine to John Roscelyne, the advowson of a mediety, and in the reign of Edward I. William Roscelyn was patron of a mediety valued at 40s. and Robert de Lodne, patron of the other, valued at 40s. Peter-pence 10d. carvage 2d. ob.

Rectors.

In 1309, Richer de Heynford, instituted to a mediety, presented by Sir William de Roscelyne,

1311, Robert de Rollesby, by Sir John Segrave, Knt.

1312, Walter de Denevere, by Lady Joan Roscelyn.

1318, Richard de Wymer, by Lady Joan Roscelyn.

1318, John de Tutington, by Sir John Segrave, senior.

1323, Richard Barun, by Lady Joan Roscelyn.

1349, John de Bek, by John Lord Segrave.

1349, Nicholas Serveys, by Ditto.

1349, Robert de Walsingham, by the King, on account of the lands of John Lord Segrave of Folkeston.

1361, there was an agreement between the Lord Mowbray, and William de Morley, Marshal of Ireland, patrons, to consolidate the same, and to present alternately.

1362, Robert de Walsingham, by William de Morley.

1385, John Barkere, by Thomas Earl of Nottingham, Lord Mowbray.

1389, Andrew Warde, by Thomas Lord Morley.

1397, John Bonelyng, by Thomas Duke of Norfolk.

1408, John Buxstede, by Thomas Lord Morley.

1409, John Whitrest, by Gerard Ufflet and Elizabeth Dutchess of Norfolk.

1420, Thomas Codlyng, by William Paston, John Lancaster, Esq. and John Pelle, clerk.

1422, Nicholas de Plumstede, by the Bishop, a lapse.

1423, Richard Westdele, by Thomas Lord Morley.

1437, John Merle, by the Bishop, a lapse.

1450, Robert Godyll.

1505, John Bernard, alias Smith, by Elizabeth Dutchess of Norfolk.

1506, Richard Eston, by Sir Edward Howard, and Alice his wife, Lady Morley.

1517, John Charlton, by the Bishop, a lapse.

1523, Sim. Morell.

1554, Edmund Grevall, by the Bishop, a lapse.

Christ. Calvert, rector.

1559, George Gibson, A. M. by the Bishop's vicar-general.

1567, Anthony Frost, by H. Parker Lord Morley.

1590, Alexander Smith, by the Bishop.

1590, Thomas Jolles, by the assignees of Edward Lord Morley.

1591, Alexander Smith, by the King, on the attainder of Philip Earl of Arundel: in 1603, he returned 38 communicants.

1613, William Morgan, by Christopher Calthorp; and the patronage was in the same family in 1742.

James Clerk, rector.

1717, Philip Prime, by Mary Prime, widow, succeeded Clerk.

1737, William Johnson, by the King.

1746, John Guavas, by James Calthorp, Esq.

1753, John Colman, by the King.

1758, Samuel Brown, by James Calthorp of Ampton in Suffolk, who has an alternate presentation with the King.

Adam Bacon aliened to the prior of Herlingflete, three messuages and 45 acres of land here, in Cringleford, &c.

The present valor of the church is 3l. 6s. 4d. and is discharged.

Footnotes

1 Reg. Gelour. Norw. fol. 199.