William Earl Warren had this lordship, of which a freeman of
Stigand Archbishop of Canterbury was deprived, who had a carucate
of land, 8 villains, one servus, a carucate in demean, and one among
the tenants, with 5 socmen who held 21 acres of land, and there was a
carucate with an acre and half of meadow, 2 runci, 3 cows, &c.
Waleran, gave the Earl livery of it, to make up the lordship of Gimingham; Sistran was then valued at 20s. after at 60s. and this and
Knapton the Earl had livery of, as one manor, and together were 2
leucas long, with 8 perches and 5 feet, and one leuca, with 12 perches
and 4 feet broad, and paid 5s. 1d. gelt. The Earl had also in Sistran, 2
freemen, one of Edric, the other of Almar, who held 60 acres of land
with 5 villains, 5 borderers, and 3 carucates, and one acre of meadow,
&c. valued at 10s. (fn. 1)
Out of these tenures arose two manors, both belonging to the Earl
Warren, who held them in capite, and each of the lordships had a
moiety of the advowson of the church. John Earl Warren presented
as lord, in 1333, from the Earls Warren, this came to the Dukes of
Lancaster, as may be seen at large in Gimmingham, and Henry Earl
of Lancaster presented in 1350, and John of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster,
and King of Castile, in 1385, and 1391. After this it was in the Crown,
and in 1406, the King presented, it being part of the dutchy of Lancaster, and so continues part at this time.
The family of de Plaiz was enfeoffed of the other moiety of this town,
or a lordship; and on the death of Richard de Plaiz, in the 53d of
Henry III. Luke de Ponyngs was found to hold the 3d part of a fee,
of the manor of Knapton; in the 14th of Edward I. Jeffrey de Gothcrston claimed view of frank pledge, assise, and called Luke Ponyngs
to warrant the same; in 1306 and 1309, Sir Thomas de Ponyngs, in
1349, Sir Michael Ponyns, and in 1373, Richard de Ponyng.
In the 13th of Henry VIII. Sir Edward Poinings died lord, and
Henry Earl of Northumberland was his cousin and heir, and by the
said Henry, was conveyed to Robert Ratcliff, Viscount Fitz-Walter,
in the 21st of the said King, and in 1533, then Earl of Sussex, presented to a moiety of this church, as Thomas Ratcliff, Earl, &c. did
in 1568. In 1603, the King was patron of one moiety, and lord, and
Thomas Kemp, Esq. of this.
The tenths were 4l. Deducted 20s. Temporalities of Bromholm
The Church is dedicated to St. Michael, and had two moieties or
medieties; John de Ringsted was rector of one, in the patronage of
the Earl Warren, valued at 10 marks, and Sir Luke de Ponyngs of the
other, valued at 5 marks in the reign of Edward I. Peter-pence 4d.
The present valor is 5l. 10s,
In 1306, John de Howton to a mediety, presented by Thomas de
1309, Richard de Heydon to a mediety, by Sir Thomas de Ponyngs.
1318, Richard de Heydon to a mediety.
1333, Roger de Dunwich, by John Earl Warren.
1349, John Davy, by Sir Michael Ponyns.
1350, John de Weston, by Henry Earl of Lancaster.
1360, Edmund Godfrey, by Sir Robert le Mare, Knt.
1361, Richard Markaunt.
1373, John Swyket, by Richard de Ponyng.
1385, Thomas Anterous. by John King of Castile.
1390, Thomas de Houton. Ditto
1391, Richard Munden, by John Attewode, &c.
1391, John Merigo, by John King of Castile.
1399, Hugh Germon, by James Attewode de Sydestrond.
1401, Thomas Hilbrond. Ditto.
1402, Bartholomew Benet. Ditto.
1404, Clement Albon. Ditto.
1406, Thomas Pecke, by the King.
1408, William Usher. Ditto.
1408, William Towres. Ditto.
1409, John Ashhurston, by the King.
1409, John Ashhurston, by the King.
1410, John Cunray, by the King.
1414, Jeffrey Lecock. Ditto.
1427, Edward Barker, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1439, John Winter, by William Attewood.
1442, John Burton. Ditto.
1462, Robert Tayler, by the King.
John Koose, rector.
1477, Edmund Pylgryne, by John Attewood, Gent.
1492, John Tokry, by Henry Quarles, Gent.
1533, John Benwell, by Robert Earl of Sussex.
William Mepall, rector.
1555, William Johnson, by Henry Lord Fitz-Walter.
William Tyler, rector.
1559, Thomas Pundea, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1568, William Cockman, by Thomas Earl of Sussex.
1586, Thomas Nabbs, by the Queen.
1598, John Money. Ditto.
1600, Thomas Munday, by Thomas Kemp, Esq. he returned 59 communicants in 1603.
1639, Richard Allison, by the King.
1661, Edward Corbet, by Thomas Doode, Gent.
1662, Vincent Pearse, S. T. P. by Robert Houghton of Ranworth,
1662, Peter Lock, by Thomas Doods.
1712, George Bearfoot, on the death of William Ashmore, by Roger
1748, Charles Vaughan Baker, by Thomas Thornbury, Esq.
In the church were the arms of Poinings, barry of six, or and vert,
an a bend, gules, three mullets, argent;—and the guilds of St.
Mary and St. Michael.
The town takes its name as seated on the strand or shore of the sea.