William Earl Warren had the lordship of this town, (fn. 1) of which
3 freemen were deprived; one of them belonged to Herold, late King
of England, another to Ralph Stalre, and the 3d to Ketel, who held
90 acres of land, and 14 borderers belonged to it, with 5 carucates
among them; there was a church endowed with 10 acres, &c. 3 acres
of meadow always valued at 30s. and there were also 5 freemen of
Edric in King Edward's time, who had 34 acres of land, with 2 carucates, 2 acres and an half of meadow, always valued at 7s. 4d. (fn. 2)
This town also belonged to the Earl Warren's capital manor of
Gimmingham, and paid suit and service to it. In the 34th of Henry
III. Maud de Norwich granted by fine, to Richer, son of Nicholas, a
messuage, 48 acres of land, a mill, and the sixth part of another in
this town, Swathefeld and Bradfeld. In the 15th of Edward I. the
Earl Warren claimed a weekly mercate, on Saturday, in this manor;
and on the death of John Earl Warren, in the 21st of Edward III. the
mercate was valued at 10s. per ann. the manor came after to the Earl
of Lancaster, (as is before observed,) and so to John of Gaunt Duke of
Lancaster, and King Henry IV. and is still in the Crown, as part of
the dutchy of Lancaster.
The tenths were 4l. 10s. deducted 15s.
The Church is dedicated to St. Botolph, and is a regular pile,
with a nave, 2 isles, and a chancel covered with lead, and has a tower
with 4 bells.
In the chancel, on a little monument,
Lancelotus Thexton cappellanus Regis Edw. VI. sacre theologie baccalaureus, et rector de Trunch obt. 25. Febr. 1588, and this shield of
arms, quarterly, in the first and fourth a cross between four lions heads
erased, gules, in the 2d and 3d, ermine, fretty, azure.
In a window here, argent, a fess between two chevrons, sable.
On a gravestone
Hic jacet Magr. Robt. Cantell, quo'd. rector isti. ecclie, qui. obt. 1
Sept. Ao. Dni. 1480.
In memory of Thomas Worts, gent. who died November 13, 1693, aged
45, with his arms, three lions rampant, - - - — William Worts. gent.
who married Elizabeth, daughter of Riches Brown of Fulmodeston, Esq.
died August 25, 1694, aged 60, with the arms of Worts impaling Brown;
two bars, between three spears heads, - - -
The patronage of the church was granted to the priory of Castleacre, by William Earl Warren, the first on his founding that priory.
In the reign of Edward I. the rector had a manse, and 13 acres of
land valued at 16 marks, Peter-pence 13d. and the prior of Castleacre
had a pension or portion of tithe valued at 40s. the present valor is 10l.
13s. 4d. and pays first fruits, &c. the Norwich registers say that William, the second Earl Warren, granted the patronage, and Eborard
Bishop of Norwich, confirmed it; and that Simon the Bishop confirmed the pension in 1268.
In 1338, Robert Joye instituted, presented by Bartholomew de
Stanhow, assignee of the prior of Castleacre.
1338, Thomas de Lewes, by John Earl Warren.
1339, Ralph Bigot. Ditto.
1349, John Veysel, by the prior.
1349, Ralph Bigot, by the prior.
1352, John Edward. Ditto.
John. Wyneston occurs rector in 1365.
1401, Richard Hildegard, by the prior.
1405, Mr. John Wysebech.
1438, Mr. Robert Cantell.
1481, Richard Mytton.
1504, Robert Lake.
1505, Mr. Bartrand Wodehouse, L.L.B.
1548, Thomas Powle, by the King.
1554, Richard Gatefeld, by Thomas Duke of Norfolk; in the 29th
of Henry VIII. Thomas, the prior of Castleacre, granted by fine to that
King, the advowson; and the King in the said year, on December 22,
gave it to Thomas Howard Duke of Norfolk.
1556, Mr. John Salesbury, S. T. B. by Peter Read, Gent. He was
suffragan Bishop of Thetford, dean of Norwich, &c.
1572, Lancelot Thexton, S. T. B. by the Queen, prebend of Norwich.
1589, Robert Thexton, by John Duke, Gent. in 1603, he returned
1619, Robert Thexton, by the assigns of the master, &c. of Catharine
hall in Cambridge.
1660, Robert Thexton, by the King.
1709, John Jeffrey, by the master and fellows of Catharine-hall.
1748, Henry Stebbing. Ditto.
Here were the guilds of St. Botolph and St. Mary.
The temporalities of Bromholm priory were 4s. 7d. ob.
The deanery of Repps, included all the churches in the hundred of
North Erpingham, and was taxed at 2 marks.
In 1304, Richard de Snelesham was collated to it by the Bishop.
1308, Robert de Bosco.
1311, Mr. Gilbert de Meleford.
1330, Richard de Barwe.
1337, Thomas de Norwich.
1339, William de Hiltoft.