Wrote Nivetuna in the grand survey, that is a tuna, or town,
nigh to water, or river, (as this is) and not, as some may conceive, from
its new site or, erection. (fn. 1)
It was a beruite to the manor of Snetesham, and held by the Archbishop Stigand in the Confessor's time, in his own right, who being
in arms against the Conqueror, he seized on it, and gave it to Odo
Bishop of Baieux in France, his brother-in-law, lord at the survey;
when it consisted of one carucate and an half, held by 6 villains, 3
borderers, 2 servi, and 2 carucates in demean; 2 also amongst the
tenants, with 20 acres of meadow; and 2 socmen held 16 acres of
land and half a carucate, one runcus, and 7 sheep. (fn. 2)
Odo rebelling, as has been observed, against King William II. was
deprived of it, and it was granted by that King to William de Albini,
ancestor to the Earls of Sussex, &c. by whom the family of Aungerville was enfeoffed in this manor.
Sir Benedict de Aungerville was lord in the reign of Henry II. he had
3 daughters and coheirs, one married to William de Sneiterton, alias
de Bukenham, the second to Hugh de Bellofago, or Beaufo, and the
third, Susan, to Sir Andrew de Sherneburn, who dying without issue,
this township was divided between Bukenham and Beaufo, and so became two lordships.
William de Snetterton, or Bukenham, was succeeded by Hugh, his son,
who married Alice, daughter and coheir of Ralph de Somerton and
Susan his wife, sister and coheir of Gosceline de Lodnes; and had Ralph
de Bukenham, his son and heir, (fn. 3) who was lord in the 41st of Henry III.
Hugh de Bukenham succeeded, who kept his court here on the vigil of
St. Catherine, in the 16th of Edward I. 1287, and married Margaret,
daughter of Miles le Parker, and held one fee in this town.
In 1292, Sir William le Parker kept a court as guardian to Hugh,
son and heir of Hugh; and in 1297, Hugh de Bukenham kept his court,
and in the 28th of that King, by the name of Sir Hugh de Sniterton,
as appears from the old roll that I have seen.
In the 9th of Edward II. Hugh was returned as lord of this town,
and had free-warren, and in this family it continued, Hugh Bokenham
settling it on Emma his wife, by his last will in 1462. After this it was
in the Copledikes, (as in Appleton,) then in the Cokets, who conveyed
it to Conynsby, and in the 4th of Elizabeth, Humphrey Coninsby was
lord. After this it came to Clement Paston, Esq. and after to the
Hostes, and from them by a daughter, as in Sandringham, to Henry
Cornish Henley, Esq.
Beaufo's, or Rivett's.
Hugh de Bellofago, or Beaufo, gave name to this lordship, whose descendant, Sir Nicholas, was lord in the 9th of Edward II. and left two
daughters and coheirs; Amicia, who married Thomas de Berdewelle,
lord of a manor in West Herling, in her right, and Alice, married to
John Rivet of Freton in Norfolk; and in the 5th of Edward III. a fine
was levied between John Rivet and Alice his wife, and Thomas de Berdewell and Amicia his wife; (fn. 4) wherein 19 messuages, several great parcels of land here, in Appleton, Sandringham, Wulferton, Babingley,
&c. were conveyed to, and settled on Alice.
After this, it was in the Bertrams, of Saxlingham, by Holt; and
John Bertram, by his will, dated July 15, 1462, devised it to be sold,
after the decease of his daughters, Mary and Ann; (fn. 5) who were to have
each of them 40s. per ann. out of it for life.
Some time after it was possessed by the Cobbs of Sandringham.
Jeffrey Cobb, Esq. had livery of it in the 20th of Elizabeth, and
after him William Cobbe, Esq. It was sold by the Cobbes, to Judge
Atkins, and by him to the Hosts, as in Sandringham, and so came to
Henry Cornish Henley, Esq.
The town was taxed for tenths, &c. at 2l. 9s.
The Church of Newton is dedicated to St. Peter, and St. Paul,
and is a rectory valued in the King's books at 5l. 6s. 8d. and is discharged of first-fruits, &c. and was charged anciently for Peter-pence
5d. per ann. the rectory at 5 marks.
Benedict de Aungervile gave the advowson of it to the priory of
Windham, with the consent of his wife, and it was confirmed by the
Earl of Arundel, (fn. 6) or Sussex, lord of the fee; but there being a dispute
relating to it, in the 41st of Henry III. a fine was then levied between
Ralph de Bukenham, and Sir Hugh de Beaufo, by which it was confirmed to the said priory; and so continued to the Dissolution, when it
came to the Crown, and so remains.
1328, Robert Gatte, by the prior, &c. of Wymondham.
1343, William de Southrepps, (an exchange for St. Bartholomew, in
1349, John de King's Ripton, ditto, to Newton vic. by Rising.
1359, John Myles. Ditto.
1380, Thomas Montemor. Ditto.
1410, Thomas Cordwainer, ditto, an exchange for Aldham.
1417, Simon Salle, ditto, exchange for Condenham.
1417, Richard Teler. Ditto.
1438, William Wright. Ditto.
1438, John Palmer. Ditto.
1466, John Denys. Ditto.
1480, William Watton. Ditto.
1509, Robert Hill. Ditto.
1512, Thomas Baxter.
1558, John Pateson, by Edmund Southouse, assignee of the prior and
1564, Edmund Bircham, by William Roberts of Cranbrook, in Kent.
1595, Robert Feilden, by the Queen.
1608, James Webster. Ditto.
1636, Hieronymus Spilman, by the King.
1651, William Knapp.
1667, Edmund Hamond, by the King.
1689, Steph. Beaumont, by the King and Queen.
1705, Thomas Gill, by the Queen.
1729, Samuel Kerrich, by the King.
1731, Franc. Seward. Ditto.
1732, James Sharp. Ditto.
Thomas Cocket of Brunsthorp, Esq. buried here January 29, 1606,
and Mrs. Anne Cocket, late wife of the said Thomas, July 17, 1615.
In this church was the guild of the Holy Trinity, that of St. Peter,
and that of St. John.