DALLING, or FIELD-DALLING,
Called Dalinga in the grand survey, from its site in a watery vale,
or dale. At the survey it was held by the Conqueror, and was a
beruite to the lordship of Holt. Unspac was lord of it in King Edward's reign, and deprived; it then contained eleven borderers, and
2 servi; a carucate of land, and 6 acres of meadow, one carucate in
demean, 2 among the tenants, 8 socmen held 24 acres of land, 4 of
meadow, and a carucate, with one horse, 3 cows, &c. valued formerly
at 10s. at the survey at 4l. per ann. it was half a leuca long, and half
a one broad, and paid 2s. gelt. (fn. 1)
Robert de Verlei had also a lordship at the survey, of which G—,
the uncle of Ralph, who possessed it before the conquest, was deprived;
11 freemen with one carucate of land belonged to it; Robert alleged
that he held by an exchange of other lands at Rochings, and that one
carucate and 3 acres of meadow belonged to it, always valued at 20s.
and calls on Robert Blund to vouch the livery of it. (fn. 2)
The King's manor abovementioned was granted from the Crown to
the Earls of Warren, of whom it was held by the family of De Bacon.
Hardewin Bacon presented Richard de Saxlingham to the rectory
of this church, about the reign of King Henry II. (fn. 3) and granted two
parts of the tithe of his demeans to the priory of Castleacre, which
grant was confirmed by his grandson, Richard Bacon, by his deed
sans date, for the health of his own soul, and his wife's and children.
The manor of Verli, of which Ralph (probably Earl of Norfolk,
who rebelled against the Conqueror) was deprived, was held of the
family of De Dalling: and in the 10th of King John, an assise was
arraigned for the presentation of the church of St. Andrew, of FieldDalling, between Roger Bacon, and Philip de Dalling.
Thomas Bacon, about the 30th of Henry III. was found to hold a
quarter of a fee of Virleys, and Peter son of Philip de Dalling and
his parceners half a fee: and in the 14th of Edward I. Roger Bacon
conveyed it by fine to Peter Rosceline; and Peter son of Philip de
Dalling, held it of Rosceline, and called him to warrant the advowson
of this church; and in the 6th of Edward II. Eustace de Dalling
aliened to the rector of this church 2 messuages and 30 acres of land.
In the 2d of Edward III. Eustace, son of Peter de Dalling, conveyed by fine to Robert Gibbs and Emma, his wife, 8 messuages, with
lands, and the said Robert, and Nicholas Parmenter were found to
hold half a fee, (which Peter de Dalling formery held,) in the 20th of
the said reign, of the Earl Warren, and John Wolterton, also held half
a fee, late Peter de Dalling's, and John Storyne, of Winston, a quarter
of a fee of the heirs of Robert de Verley, which Thomas Bacon
Roger de Wolterton presented to the church, as lord, in 1348, as
did Simon Babyngle, in 1369; William Walsham in 1384, and William in the fen in the said year: about the end of this year, William
Walsham, and others, aliened this rectory to the college of St. Mary
in the fields, at Norwich, and Henry, then Bishop appropriated it on
March 11, reserving to himself a pension of 40s. and of 3s. 6d. to the
prior and convent of Norwich per ann. and on this a vicarage was
In the 3d of Henry IV. the Lord Bardolf held it of the Earl
Warren, and in the 5th of Henry VI. Thomas Beaufort Duke of Exeter
was found to die seized of it, and John Rokewode held it of him.
William Sutton and Joan his wife conveyed by fine, in the 2d of
Henry VII. to John Wyndham, a moiety of Field-Dalling manor, and
in the 23d of that King, the manor of Gybbs, in this town, was conveyed to him.
After this it was in the Heydons: William Heydon, Esq. was lord
in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and Sir Christopher Heydon died lord
of Field Dalling, Wolterton, and Gibbs manors, in 1579, held by lease
of the dean and chapter of Norwich.
After this Nicholas Styleman, Esq. held it, and so came to the
Harbords of Gunton, and Sir William Harbord, Bart. is lord.
Alan, Earl of Richmond had, on the expulsion of a socman of King
Harold, a small fee, one carucate of land, 6 borderers, with 2 acres
of meadow, and half a carucate, valued at 7s. and Geffrey held it
under Alan. (fn. 4)
In the 34th of Henry III. Thomas de Hindringham held here, and
in Batheley, the 4th part of a fee of the honour of Richmond, and
Thomas, son of Gilbert de Hindringham, in the 10th of Edward I.
the moiety of a fee; and paid castle-guard to Richmond 5s. per ann.
his tenure being valued at 4 marks per. ann.
John Wilby possessed it in the 3d of Henry IV. it was then in the
King's hand on account of the minority of the Duke of Britain.
Edmund Earl of Richmond held in capite, and died seized of it in the
35th of Henry VI. held by William Wilby; and Thomas Wilby died
possessed of it in the 6th of Henry VIII. and William was his son,
and heir; and in the 22d of that King, John Hall of Halsted, in
Lincolnshire, was lord, and Nicholas Mynns, in the reign of Queen
Elizabeth; in her 24th year, William Heydon, Esq. and so was conveyed, as is above observed, and is now in Sir William Harbord, Bart.
In 1616, this lordship paid a rent of 5s. per ann. (Richmond fee)
to the lord of Swaffham.
Roger Bigot, ancestor to the Earls of Norfolk, had a fee here, of
which Ælsi and Lefstan, freemen, were deprived; and R- - - -, the
sheriff, held it of Bigot, containing 2 carucates of land: Bigot
claimed it, as an exchange for land that the King gave to Isaac: there
was one villain, and 3 borderers, 6 socmen, who held 18 acres of
land, and 7 of meadow, in the whole, 3 carucates, valued at 30s. at
the survey at 40s. (fn. 5)
In the 35th of Edward I. William de Swillington and Joan Bonyle
had an interest in part of a fee, held of Bygod.
Thomas Gibbs and Margaret his wife, conveyed lands by fine to
John Cosyn, parson of Fulmodeston, and William Gibbs, in the 3d of
Henry IV. held with his parceners half a fee of the heirs of Carbonel,
and Walter de Wolterton, and his parceners half a fee, of the said heirs,
and they of the Lord Mowbray.
This came to John Windham, Esq. so to the Heydons, and to the
Maud de Harscove, in the reign of King Henry II. gave to the abbey
of Savigny, in Normandy, a manor in this town, whereupon there
came over some Cistertian monks of that place, of which this is sometimes mentioned as a cell, or priory of itself, and sometimes as parcel
of Long Benington priory, in Lincolnshire. (fn. 6) Upon the dissolution of
alien priories, it was given first to Epworth, then to the Spittle on the
Street, (Lincolnshire,) after that to the Carthusians near Coventry, by
King Richard II. and afterwards to the priory of Mountgrace, in
Yorkshire, and as parcel of this last priory was granted in the 2d
and 3d of Philip and Mary, to Martyn Hastyngs and James Bourn.
On April 3d, in the 12th of Elizabeth, James Bourn was found to
die November 20th past, seized of this lordship, 300 acres of land, and
pasture, of the rectory, and advowson of the vicarage, leaving it to
his nephew James Bourn.
In the 16th of Elizabeth, Martin Hastings, by license, alienated his
right to Charles Stutvyle: and in the 18th Stutvyle passed 2 parts
of the capital messuage called Savigny, or Mountgrace's, to Giles
Mabbs, who with John How, convey the same to Gregory Pagrave;
soon after it came to William Heydon, Esq. and so united to the lordships above.
The tenths were 6l. 7s.—Deducted 13s. 4d.—The temporalities of
Walsingham priory 3s.
The Church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and is a vicarage valued
at 5l. 8s. 1d. ob.
It was formerly a rectory valued at 40 marks, the priory of Castleacre: had a portion of tithe (valued at 6s. 8d. in 1428) confirmed to
them in 1265, by Simon, Bishop of Norwich; and abbey of Savigny,
a portion valued at 20s. per ann. Peter-pence 2s. 1d.
The church consists of 2 isles, and a chancel, and has 3 bells.
On a grave-stone in the south isle, with a brass plate,
Hic jacet Joh. Nicholas et Margareta uxor ejus qui dederunt crucem
argenteam huic eccles. qui quid. Joh. ob. 22, Januar, 1485.
Richard de Saxlingham was rector about the reign of
Henry II presented by Hardewine Bacun.
William Roscelyn occurs in rector in the 14th and 20th of
William de Dalling in 1333.
1348, Alexander de Wolterton, presented by Roger de Wolterton.
1369, Adam de Cringelford, by Simon Babingle.
1374, Thomas More by William Walsham.
1384, Thomas in the Fen, by William in the Fen.
In the fourth year of Richard II. William Walsham, &c. aliened
this rectory to the college of St. Mary in the fields, at Norwich, and
Henry Bishop of Norwich appropriated it, on March 11, in the said
year, reserving to himself a pension of 40s. and 3s. 6d. to the priory
of Norwich, and a vicarage was settled.
1385, Roger Wychingham instituted vicar, presented by the dean,
&c. of that college.
1395, John Ball.
1422, Robert Bolus, nominated by the Bishop, presented by the
1459, John Whipp.
1460, William Worstede.
1493, Mr. William Riches, by the dean, &c.
1508, Edmund Fulsier.
1522, Thomas Webster.
1523, Mr Robert Horne.
Thomas Nicholas, vicar.
1552, Robert Key by John Bourn.
On May 22, Ao 37 Henry VIII. the rectory was granted by the
King to Dr. Miles Spencer, the last dean of the college, who sold it
to Bourne, with the patronage of the vicarage.
1559, Henry Tudenham, Ditto.
1568, John Bucke, by John Bourne.
1610, James Pearson, by the assignees of Lady Anne Heydon.
1668, Thomas Colby, by Simon Britiffe, Esq.
1679, Edward Peartree, by John Harbord, Esq.
1745, Allen Aldhouse, by Robert Winn, guardian of John Winn.
1748, Joseph Lane, by John Winn.
1758, Matthew Lane, by Alice Winn, a minor.
1763, Repps Brown, M. A. by ditto.
In the church were the guilds of St. Mary, and St. John Baptist.
the Plough-light, St. Nicholas, and All-Saints.