Was the lordship of Ralph de Bellofago, or Beaufoe, at the survey,
but in the Confessor's time, Godric, (fn. 1) a freeman, was possessed of
it, when there were 8 carucates of land, 24 villains, afterwards 30,
and 38 borderers, at the survey 54, 6 servi, with 10 acres of meadow
belonging to it; there were 4 carucates in demean, at the survey 5,
13 carucates amongst the men, at the survey 18; paunage for 500
hogs, 3 mills, a fishery, &c. also 7 socmen belonged to it with all customary duties, and 11 borderers, with 2 acres of meadow, and 2 carucates, and a freeman with 12 acres of land, and two of meadow, and
half a carucate, but at the survey he held it not; Ralph's predecessor
had only the protection of him, the soc was in Mileham, Eudo (fn. 2) held
it, but Ralph, now, of the gift of the King; a church endowed with an
acre and an half valued at 2d. per ann.; the manor was valued at 8l. per
ann. afterwards at 12l. but Ralph afterwards farmed it out, or let it,
at 25l. it was one leuca long, and one broad, and paid 10d. gelt. (fn. 3)
By this it appears to be a large and valuable manor: the town seems
to take its name, as seated near the joining of two streams or rivulets,
called probably Suan, Swin, or Swan; thus Swineshead in Lincolnshire; Swinburn in Northumberland; Swinbrook in Oxfordshire, and
Tua (not Tuna) which I interpret the two rivers, or waters, and Morley-Swanton from its ancient lords.
Ralph de Bellofago, or Beaufoe, was a near relation, if not son of
William de Beaufoe Bishop of Thetford, chaplain and chancellor to the
Conqueror, and held at the survey these following lordships, with
Swanton;—Newton, and Bircham in Docking hundred;—Ringsted
in Smethden hundred;—Walton East in Freebridge hundred;—Elingham in Shropham hundred;—Lechesham, and one in Derham, in Launditch hundred;—Depeham in Fourhou hundred, with Morley and
Berford and Crownthorp:—Hokeling, Tudenham, and East Tudenham
and Mateshale in Mitford hundred;—Bastwick, and Tunestalle in
Walessam hundred, as then called;—Plumstead, and Blofield in Blofield hundred;—Caster in Heinsted hundred;—Reydon in Diss hundred;—Wroxham, Rachey and Taverham in Taverham hundred;—
Salle in Einesford hundred;—Buxton, Brampton, Scothow, Hobbies,
Lammass, and Belaugh in South Erpingham hundred;—Sloley in
Tunsted hundred;—Mulbarton, Carlton, Swardeston, and Markeshall
in Humbleyard hundred;—Thrigby, Alburgh, Norton, and Raveningham in Clavering hundred.
Ralph de Beaufoe left a daughter and heiress, Agnes, who was married to Hubert de Rie, castellan of Norwich castle, who was son of
Hubert de Rie, (according to Dugdale (fn. 4) ) a trusty servant to Will. Duke
of Normandy, and sent by him to King Edward the Confessor, when
that King lay on his death bed, in a pompous equipage into England,
and returned to his master with those tokens, whereby he was by that
King declared his heir to the Crown of England; viz. a sword, in the
hilt whereof were inclosed some relicks of Saints, an hunter's horn of
gold, and the head of a mighty stag; for which service he had the
promise of being steward of his household.
Ralph was his eldest son, and made castellan of Nottingham; Hubert was his second son, made governor of Norwich castle; Adam, the
third son, had large possessions in Kent; and Eudo, a fourth son, was
a great courtier, steward of the King's household, and rewarded with
many lordships in several counties.
This Agnes, with her son Richard, granted the church of Aldby to
the priory of Norwich, which King Henry I. confirmed, on the petition of Henry de Rya, son and heir of Hubert, and Anges de Rya,
and her tithes of Wrokesham; witnesses, William de Tankervile, and
A descendant, if not son, of the aforesaid Henry, was Hubert de Rie,
who in the 12th of Henry II. certified that he had 35 knights fees, for
which he paid 35 marks to the King, and dying without issue male
in the 18th of the said King, his two daughters and coheirs were Aliva,
who married John Marshall, (nephew of William Marshall Earl of
Pembroke) made marshal of Ireland by King John, in his 9th year,
and Isabell, who married Sir Roger de Cressie; widow of Jeffrey de
Chester, which Jeffrey was probably a nephew to Robert Fitz Roger,
a great Baron of Northumberland, who in the first of King John gave
300 marks for the younger daughter of Hubert aforesaid, to marry unto a nephew of his.
In the 18th of King John, John Marshall answered for 17 fees and
a half, a moiety of the barony of Rye, and was lord of this town: (fn. 5) in
this family it remained till John Marshall, son of William, dying in
the 10th of Edward II. left Hawise, his sister and heir, married to Robert de Morle, 15 years of age; (Ela, wife of John, survived him, and
was remarried to Robert Fitz Payn;) he died seized also of Hingham,
Hokering, Buxton, &c. and had free warren, weyf, view of frank pledge,
a ducking stool, assise of bread and beer in this town.
It appears from ancient deeds that there was a park in this village,
called Bywick park, and that Avelina le Marescal, in her widowhood
about the 40th of Henry III. granted the tithes of her mill of Suanetune, and of the eels taken at the mill and pools, to the priory of Norwich, at the request of Will. Ithane de Kyrkeley, then precentor.
Sir Robert de Morle was son of William de Morle, a parliamentary
baron, and had livery, with Hawise his wife, of this lordship in the
10th of Edward II. was marshal of Ireland in right of his wife, and
truly famous for his many gallant actions both by sea and land, being
lieutenant of Norfolk, and admiral of the King's fleet, obtained such
a notable victory near Sluse in Flanders, (as historians record it,) that
the like sea fight had never before been seen, was also in the glorious
battle of Cressi in France, constable of the Tower of London, summoned to parliament from the 11th of Edward II. to the 31st of Edward III. and died in the 34th of that King, then attending him in
France, leaving Sir William de Morle, his son and heir, by Hawise his
The last heir male of this noble family was Robert, son of Thomas
Lord Morle, (fn. 6) (fn. 7) and the Lady Isabell his wife, daughter of Michael de
la Pole Earl of Suffolk, who dying in the 21st of Henry VI. left by
Elizabeth his wife, daughter of William Lord Ross, Alianore his daughter and heir 6 months old, who afterwards married William Lovell, a
younger son of William Lord Lovel of Tichmersh, who in her right
was Lord Morley, and inherited the estate of that family, and died
seized of it July 23, 1475, leaving Henry Lovel his son and heir, Lord
Morley, aged 11 years, and in 1487 was slain at Dixmue in Flanders,
leaving no issue by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of John de la Pole
Duke of Suffolk, so that his estate descended to Alice, his only sister,
wife of Sir William Parker of London, Knt. who was lord of this town,
&c. and on his death she remarried to Sir Edward Howard, second
son to Thomas Duke of Norfolk.
Henry Parker was son and heir to Sir William, by his lady Alice;
he was Knt. of the Bath, and in 1529, summoned to parliament as
Lord Morley, and by Alice his wife, daughter of Sir John St. John of
Bletsho, by whom he had Sir Henry his son and heir, who married
Grace, daughter and heir of Sir Robert Newport of Pelham in Hertfordshire, by whom he had Henry his son and heir, Lord Morley, who
by Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Edward Earl of Derby, had Edward his son and heir, Lord Morley, who married Elizabeth, sole heir
of William Stanley Lord Monteagle, fifth son to Thomas Earl of Derby, and in her right was also Lord Monteagle; he died April 1, 1618,
and was buried in the church of Stepney in Middlesex, but before his
death sold most of the estate descended to him, from the Morleys,
Lord Morley, and this lordship, to Sir Thomas Lovel of Herling, and
so to Sir Henry Beding feld of Oxburgh, and Thomas Beding feld, Esq.
died seized of it in the 32d of Elizabeth, in which family it was in the
reign of Charles the First.
In 1659, Gybbon Goddard, Esq. was lord, and charged in a mi
litia rate in that year at 65l. per ann. for his manor and lands; he
was serjeant at law, and recorder of Lynn; and in 1654, it appears
that William Small, Esq. of Hadleigh in Suffolk was lord, and by his
will dated October 4, in the said year gave 10l. per ann. towards the
education of poor children, and binding out boys apprentices, born in
this town, and settled lands for the same, called Eye-Park in Suffolk,
and in 1688, Daniel Farington, Esq. alderman of London, possessed
it, and on his death his sister, Mrs. Phill of London.
About the beginning of Queen Elizabeth's reign, I find this lordship
valued at 57l. 1s. 5d. ob. that is to say, Wood-Gate Street rent 10l.
4s. 11d. ob.—Grene-Gate Street 10l. 7s. 5d. ob.—West-Gate Street
30l. 0s. 6d. ob. over and besides the rent of 14s. 6d. ob. q. holden by
- - - - - - - - - - -, and Goose-Gate Street rent 4l. 12s. 3d.
The site of this manor was near to the church, encompassed with
a moat, but the most ancient site is said to be by the river, against
Below, now called Newcastle.
Hereford or Hertford's Manor.
In the reign of Henry III. John de Herford was found to hold in this
township the 6th part of a fee of Thomas de Ware, and Hugh Sneterton, they of William de Marshall, and he of the King; and one of
the same name settled by fine in the 6th of Edward II. on himself
and Mabel his wife, in tail, remainder to Mabil, daughter of William
Pontyn of Walden, and her heirs, 6 messuages, 260 acres of land, 16
of meadow, 20 of pasture, one of wood and an half, with 5 marks, and
6s. 8d. rent here, in Hoo, Betele, Mateshal, and East Derham.
Thomas de Harford held, in the 4th of Henry IV. the sixth part of
a fee of the Lord Morley, which John de Hoo formerly held.
Bernard Utber was lord of it, and Thomas Utber his son, who lived
at Hoo in 1666, of which see in Hoo, and Gressenhale.
It appears that the site of this hall was in the bounds of this parish,
by the field book.
The Church is dedicated to All-Saints, and is a rectory anciently
valued at 50 marks, the present valor is 15l. 11s. 1d. and pays first
fruits and tenths; and Worthing is an hamlet belonging to this parish,
having a chapel dedicated to St. Margaret, served by this rector: the
Peter-pence was 12d.
Thomas de Kenyngham occurs rector in 1306.
1333, John Payn, presented by Sir Robert Morle, Marshal of Ireland.
1349, John Trayley. Ditto.
1361, William Pecto, by Sir William Morle.
1368, Robert de Congham, by ditto.
1371, William de Beverley. Ditto.
1377, Mr. John de Babingle. Ditto.
1379, Andrew Hoker, by Thomas Lord Morle.
1417, Thomas Frampton. Ditto.
William Lee, rector.
1428, John Pelle, by Thos. Lord Morle.
1437, Simon Brailis, by Isabella, Lady Morle.
1453, William Strather. Ditto.
1489, Andrew Avelyn, by Henry Lord Morle, and with the chapel
of St. Margaret of Worthing annexed to it.
Edmund Pilgrim died rector 1503.
1503, Thomas Larke, by Sir William Parker.
1515, William Lane, by Thomas Duke of Norfolk, assignee of the
1516, Lanc. Atherton, by Lady Alice Morley, widow.
1519, Harman Tullyman, by Henry Parker Lord Morley.
1540, Henry Brow. Ditto.
1550, Thomas Morley. Ditto.
1554, William Gippers, by Sir Henry Parker, assignee of the Lord
1555, John Christopherson, S.T.B. (he was dean of Norwich, and
Bishop of Chichester) by Henry Parker Lord Morley.
1557, Richard Cheyney, S.T.B. by the King and Queen. (fn. 8)
1558, Charles Parker, by Henry Lord Morley.
1571, Roger Matthew, by the Queen.
1592, Robert Neave, by John Graunge, Gent. and Joan Neave,
Robert Neave, iterum, 1592, by the Queen, ad coroborand.
1632, Richard Neave, by John Graunge of Swaffham Bulbeck,
Cambridgeshire, by a grant from Edward Lord Morley.
1643, Francis Neave, (fn. 9) by Richard Neave, clerk; Richard bought
the advowson of Sir Henry Bedingfeld, lord of the manor.
1670, John Goflin, by William Small, Gent.
1680, William Jegon, by Charles Neave.
1711, Charles Neave, by the Bishop of Norwich, a lapse.
1744, Thomas Ewin, by Thomas Day, Gent.
In this church were the guilds of St. Mary, St. Thomas, St. John
Baptist, St. Anne, All-Saints, and the Holy Trinity, St. Mary's Light,
with that of the Sepulchre.
The priory of Norwich had a portion of tithe valued at 40s. per ann.
The church stands on a hill, in the middle of the town, and was
building in the year 1379, as appears from the will William Lord
Morley, dated 26th of August, in the said year, wherein he gives to
the work of the church of Swanton Morley, (fn. 10) then begun, 10 marks,
and his gilt cup,
It consists of a nave or body, with 2 isles and a chancel; covered
with lead, and under the east end of that, a large charnel; and there
is a tall square tower with four bells.
In the south isle on a gravestone, with a plate,
Pray for the sowlls of the Tho. Wygthman and Agnes, and Kattryn
the wyfs of hym, and - - - -, the date of ower Lord God 1533.- - - - Hic
jacent Thomas Baret et Margareta, uxor ejus, quor; a'iab; p'pitiet.
In the nave,
Orate p. a'ia. John. Neve, cuj &c.—Orate p. a'ia. Robt. Rokysby
cuj; a'ie p' pitiet. Deus.—Orate p' aia Willi Barnar, qui hic jacet tumulatus.
In a window of the chancel an effigies of a priest in a blue robe,
Orate p. a'ia Edi. Pylgryme, quo'd. rector. ist. ecclie qi. obiit xxvii
die Julij, Ao. Dni M. V. iii. cuj. a'ie, &c.
On a small stone on the pavement,
Hic jacet instrusor cui nomen Goslin, 1671, but now scarce eligible.
M. S Reliquiæ Elizab. charissima uxor Fran. Neve, rect. hujus eccl.
expiravit 4, Julij Ao Dni. 1664.
A grave stone, arms a frett,
In memory of Geo. Fleming, Gent. and his only son Roger Fleming,
citizen and Merchant Taylor of London, who dyed April 9, 1713,
Here lyeth the body of Nich. Parham, Gent. who died Janu. 2, 1712,
aged 87,— and these arms, —on a chevron between three mallets, as many eagles legs erased,—impaling—, a fess,
ermin between three birds.
In memory of Rachel, wife of Nich. Parham, Gent, who died November 10, 1714, æt. 77.
Parham impaling ermin three roses.
Sacrum memoriæ Petri Parham, hujusce pagi indigenæ Coll. CaioGonvill, socij et amici summi, apud Norwicenses, M.D. solertis et integri, qui famâ tandem annisq; satur; relicto, omnibus præcipuè egenis
grave dedesiderio, sui quo'd. mortale habuit, sub hoc marmore reposuit
ano, Christanæ salutis M. DCC. XXII°. Ætat. LXXXIX.
A stone with the arms of Jegon, argent, two-chevronels, gules, on a
canton, azure, a falcon rising, or.
Here lyeth the body of William Jegon, A.M. sometime fellow of
King's college, in Cambridge, and 30 years rector of this parish; a man
of great learning and exemplary piety; he was born May 6, 1650, and
died Nov. 18, 1710.
Vivitur ignoscando—Also the body of Mary his wife.
Hic jacet exemplar virtutis, gloria sexus,
Vita, animo, vultu, Sara, Susanna, Rachel.
Susanna, uxor Caroli Neve, Clerici, et hujus ecclesiæ rectoris, sepulta
fuit, Feb. 16, 1672.
Also in the church,
Repositœ sunt hoc sub marmore, in spem beatæ resurrectionis exuviæ
Thomæ Davy, Medicinœ Baccalaurei, qui obt. 23, die Martij 1692,
Upon the lamented death of Thomas Flemminge, Gent. attourney
at law, born in Swanton-Morley Dec. 24, 1615, buried here Aug. 15,
Weep widows, orphans, all your late support,
Himself is summon'd to a higher court,
Living he pleaded yours, but with this clause,
That Christ at's death should only plead his cause.
In memory of Cecily, wife of Thomas Parham, Gent. buried March
For Thomas Parham, Gent. born Nov. 1, 1678, and died Aug. 21,
For Elizabeth, wife of Peter Parham, Gent. who died April 22.
1718, ætat. 44.
In memory of Amya, wife of John Sheldrake, the fifth daughter of
Hamond Farrous of Wendling, Gent. buried Dec. 2, 1658, ætat. 29.
In October 1638, Clement Dawbrey, Gent. was buried in this
church, and in January 1643, John Wortham, Esq.