At the survey, Robert de Vallibus, or de Vaux, held under Roger
Bigot, ancestor, of the Earls of Norfolk, 30 acres of land, which Almar, a freeman of Stigand the Archbishop, had been deprived of, with
2 borderers, one carucate in demean, and 4 acres of meadow; 17 freemen also, with the moiety of another, held under Almar's commendation 80 acres and 2 carucates; and in the same town was a moiety
of a freeman with 15 acres and half a carucate of meadow. It was 10
furlongs long, and 5 broad, and the gelt was 7d. ob. (fn. 1)
In the reign of Rich. I. Robert de Grys was lord; in the 10th year
of that King, the abbot of Langley demised to him certain tithes,
paying 8s. per ann.
This Robert, in the 4th of Henry III. sold to Eborard de Vernun,
the advowson of this church, for 10 marks; and in the 23d of that
King, Simon de Grys, Walter de Calthorp, the abbot of Langley, the
monks of Thetford, and John Grys of Chedeston, were found to hold
one fee of the Earl of Norfolk.
Symon de Grys had an interest here in the 16th of Edward I. and
Roger Grys, in the 20th of Edward III. and in the 1st year of Henry
IV. the Lord Mowbray held it in capite, as descended from the Bigots.
In the 3d of Henry III. a fine was levied between Thomas, son of
Jeffrey de Thurston, petent, and the prior of the monks of Thydford,
tenent, of the advowson of this church, released to Thomas and his
heirs, who covenanted for ever to pay to the prior and his successors,
20s. per ann. for land held of them here.
Langley Abbey Manor.
John le Grys of this town, gave to Simon the abbot, in the 42d of
Henry III. 49 acres of land, with 8 marks, and 6s. 8d. rent here, in
Bergh Apton, &c. Robert de Vaux, gave 10s. rent.
Reyner de Thurton, Henry son of Clement, and Catherine his wife,
enry le Neuman, and Catherine his wife, were benefactors.
Petronilla, relict of Sir William Nerford, daughter and coheir of
Sir John de Vaux, confirmed all the benefactions of her ancestors.
Robert, son of Thomas Toke, granted 5 messuages, 40 acres of land
14s. 3d. rent here, &c. to the said abbey.
In 1428, the temporalities of this abbey were 11l. 5s. 4d. per ann.
At the Dissolution it was granted to Thomas Godsalve, Esq.
At Thurton, by Loddon, were dug up in 1707, several Roman coins
of Gallienus, Victorinus, Tetricus, Quintillus, &c.
The tenths 3l. 11s. Deducted 11s. The temporalities of Thetford
The church of Ely, (the priory of St. Audrey) had six socmen, with
a carucate and 20 acres in King Edward's time, which, on the conquest
were granted to Godric the King's steward, and lands in Thorp, with
all customary dues, and were valued in Burgh, by Apton. (fn. 2)
After the death of Godric it came to the Crown, as an escheat, and
was given to the family of De Monte Canisio, or Montchensey, who
were barons of the realm, and possessed by them (lords of Bergh Apton) in the reign of Henry II. as may be there seen.
The Church is dedicated to St. Ethelbert, and was a rectory, in
the reign of King Edward 1. in the patronage of the abbot of Langley
valued at 12 marks. Peter-pence 10d. carvage 5d.
Robert le Noble, rector.
1299, John de Nelond, by the abbot of Langley; the rector had
then a house, and 40 acres of land.
1303, William de Brokedysh. Ditto.
1306, John de Oveton. Ditto.
1342, Mr. Thomas de Strumpeshagh, by Robert Toke, and Richard
Gardiner, hac vice.
In the said year it was appropriated to William Bishop of Norwich,
to the said abbey, and on March 22, the rectory-house, on settling a
vicarage, was granted to the vicar, with 12 acres of land, &c. valued
at 6 marks.
In 1347, Richard de Stow, vicar, presented by the abbot.
1349, Bartholomew de Castre. Ditto.
1387, John de Waterden, presented by the abbot.
1422, Jeffrey de Loden. Ditto,
1424, William Cove. Ditto.
Laurence Beighton, occurs vicar 1593; and in 1603 it was served
by a curate, Michael Nicholson, who returned 68 communicants; in
it was the tabernacle of St. Ethelbert.
In 1742, Mr. Rant was patron, and nominated the curate.
The church is a single pile, with a chancel thatched, and has a square
tower, with 3 bells. On a gravestone in the chancel, these arms,
quarterly, argent and gules; in the 2d and 3d, a frett or, over all a
fess, azure, Norris, impaling argent, on a bend ingrailed, sable, three
de luces of the first, Holt.
In memory of Mrs. Mary Norris, first wife of John Stubbs, and last
of Jeremy Norris of Norwich, gent. daughter of Jeremy Holt, clerk,
who died June 2, 1682.—Johs. filius Edmi. Stubb, S. T. P. obt. 8
Oct. ao. ætat. 60, D'ni. 1662; and this shield, sable, on a bend, or,
between three phæons, argent, as many round buckles, gules. Stubbs.
Jeremias Holt Suffolcia natus, Cantabrig. educatus, S.T.B. vir pius
et doctus sub hoc marmore sepultus Nov. 27, Ao. Dni.—
In memory of John Gilbert, who died Feb. 6, 1721, aged 46; and
gules, two bars ermine, in chief, three de-lis, or.