The Conqueror was possessed of a lordship here, of which 6 freemen were deprived, who had it in King Edward's reign, containing
30 acres of land, and 2 carucates, with 2 acres of meadow, also 9
freemen with 40 acres and a carucate, valued in Rachey; Godric
took care of this for the King, as his steward; the King and the Earl
of Norfolk had the soc, the township was half a leuca long, and 5 furlongs broad, and paid 10d. gelt. (fn. 1)
Godric, the King's steward, had also 30 acres, and half a carucate,
with 2 acres of meadow, of which a freeman was deprived, valued at
2s. per. ann. and the King and the Earl had the soc, and this Godric
held in his own right. (fn. 2)
The ancient family of De Mounteney were lords of this manor in
the reign of Henry II. when Robert de Mounteney was found to hold
one fee here, &c. of the old feoffment, and Sir Arnold de Mounteney
held here in Catton, &c. the same in King Henry the Third's time, of
Robert Lord Fitz Walter. (fn. 3)
It is probable that it remained in the Crown some time, and was
granted by King Henry I. to Sir Richard de Lucy, lord chief justice
Maud, the eldest daughter and coheir of Sir Richard, married to
Walter Fitz Robert, the progenitor of the Lords Fitz Walter, and Sir
Arnold de Mounteney, married Dionysia, the fourth daughter and
One of the same name was lord in the 20th of Edward III. of
Wroxham, Catton, &c.
In the 3d of Henry IV. John Lancaster was found to hold the manor, late Arnold de Mounteney's in this town, Sprouston, Wrexham,
John Jermy, Esq. was lord in the first of Edward V. and in the
17th of Henry VII. it was conveyed to John Corbet, Esq. and Sir Thomas Corbet, Bart. was lord in 1639.
After this it was purchased by Sir Thomas Adams, and after by Sir
Lamb. Blackwell, Bart. as in Sprouston, in which family it remains.
In the 6th of Edward III. Benedict de Beston and Agnes, his wife,
confirmed to John de Corpusty, merchant of Norwich, lands, &c. in
this village, and Thomas de Beston, wills to be bmied in the church of
Beston, by his ancestors, and gives legacies to his nephew John de
John Cocke, son of Roger Cocke of Cossey, confirmed to Edmund
Mortoft of Beston, a tenement called Corpustey's.
By an inquisition taken at Norwich, on the death of Simon Nunne
of Ringfeld in Suffolk, he was found to die November 5, in the 38th
of King Henry VIII. seized of a capital messuage, called Wryngeys,
and 48 acres of meadow, pasture, wood and heath here, and in Crostwick, and of a messuage, and lands, called Corpustey's, and 20 acres
and an half of land, held of Wroxham manor, Wrongey messuages,
&c. being held of the hundred of Taverham of the King by fealty,
and James was his son and heir, aged 9 years, by Margaret his wife,
daughter of Thomas Guybon, Esq.
This James Nunne of Beeston, Gent. confirmed it to Robert Partridge of Fynbarrow Magna, in Suffolk, March 30, Ao. 6th of Elizabeth.
Robert Lord Mallet, had a lordship of which 2 freemen in this
town, and 3 freemen in Sprouston, were deprived, who possessed 64
acres of land, and there was a borderer, a carucate, and an acre of
meadow valued at 6s. the King and the Earl had the soc. (fn. 4)
The Lord Mallet granted it to Walter de Cadomo, with the barony
of Horseford, of which this lordship was a member, and so always
passed with it, to the Cressies, Claverings, Lord Dacres, &c. as may
be seen at large in Horsford.
Ralph de Beaufoe had 30 acres of land, a carucate of meadow, and
a moiety of the church, at the survey, of which a freeman had been
deprived, valued at 12d. (fn. 5)
This Ralph, left a daughter and heiress, Agnes, who married Hubert de Rie, castellan of Norwich; a coheiress of this family, Oliva,
brought it to John Marshall, lord marshal of Ireland, and by Hawise,
heiress of that family, it came to Robert Lord Morley.
The tenths were 2l. 4s. 6d. The temporalities of the prioress of
Carhow 6s. 7d.; of Peterston priory 7s. 2d.; of Horsham St. Faith's
priory 3s. 6d.
The Church was dedicated to St. Andrew, and had two medieties,
in the patronage of the Mounteneys, and both granted by Robert de
Mounteney, son of Arnold de Monteney, by fine in the 54th of Henry
III. to Geffrey, prior, and the convent of Peterston; this was valued
at 5 marks per ann. as the other moiety was, but one of them was appropriated, soon after the grant.—Peter-pence 10d. ob. q.—Carvage
Roger de Fordon, occurs rector in 1244.
Geffrey, in 1311.
1314, Robert de Thorpernald, instituted to a mediety, presented by
the prior, &c. of Peterston.
1321, Walter de Kemesay. Ditto.
1322, John Poteys.
1323, Simon de Hemesby.
1324, John Carywen.
1341, Robert de Ashle.
1349, Robert Baxter.
1452, Nicholas Bungey, a Carme, on the union of Peterston priory,
to that of Walsingham; the Bishop of Norwich became patron, and
1458, Henry Antingham. Ditto.
1461, Andrew Fishman.
1492, Mr. Bartholomew Northern, LL.B.
1493, John Clerk.
1521, John Burman.
1531, William Buttrosse.
1543, Walter Claxton, presented by John Corbet, Esq. on the 6th
of November, in the 38th of Henry VIII. this John Corbet had a
grant of the patronage.
1554, John Thompson, by the Bishop.
1609, Leonard Greaves, by Thomas Corbet, Esq.
1611, Leonard Greaves, by the King.
1615, Robert Gallard, by Thomas Corbet, Esq.
1639, Samuel Gallard, by Sir Thomas Corbet, Knt.
1660, Richard Ireland, by William Adams, Esq.
1693, Bambridge Dean, by Sir Charles Adams, Bart. See in
In 1740, the heirs of Sir Lambert Blackwell, had the patronage.
The present valor of this rectory is 3l. 6s. 8d. and is discharged.