BOYTON, OR BEGETON.
The principal lordship of this town was bought by Almar, Bishop
of Elmham, and brother to Stigand, Archbishop of Canterbury, of
Algar, Earl of Mercia, with the soc and sac, borderers, and all belonging to the foldage; there then belonged to it 3 carucates of land,
40 borderers, &c. 2 carucates in demean, 5 carucates of the tenants
and a half, &c 16 acres of meadow, one runcus, &c. 140 sheep, and
5 socmen, with 32 acres, and 9 socmen with 50 acres of land, and a
carucate, and 8 acres.
The whole then valued at 6l. and at the survey at 7l. 13s. 4d. It
was half a leuca long and half a one broad, paid 12d. gelt, and a
church belonged to it, with 7 acres, valued at 7d. (fn. 1) On the deposition
of Bishop Almar, in 1070, as a person disaffected to the Conqueror,
and the Norman interest. It was after granted by the Conqueror to
William his chaplain and chancellor, and Bishop of Thetford, to be
held of him as a lay fee, and at the survey made in 1085, he was lord
of it in his own right, and at his death, about 1091, he gave it to his
see and successors.
Of the see of Norwich it was held, as may be seen at large in Bradeston. Sir John de Casten and Robert de Boyton being enfeoffed of
it; and Walter Bishop of Norwich, in the 35th of that King, had a
charter for free warren.
In the 3d of Edward I. the jury find that the Bishop held it in capite,
as a member of Blofield, and part of his barony. and Henry de Boyton held it of the Bishop, had a court lete, and the assise of bread and
The Lord Bardolf had also an interest herein, Adam de Hindringham
held under him in the 9th of Edward II. and Gregory de Felmingham,
lands by knight's service.
In the 3d of Henry IV. the jury present that Hugh Rightwise, John
Boole, and their parceners, held here, in South Birlingham, &c. of the
Lord Bardolf by half a fee, lands, late James Rightwise's, and Thomas Hindringham's, and several tenements, of John de Caston, by half
a fee of the Bishop.
In the see of Norwich it remained till on the exchange of lands
between King Henry VIII. and Bishop Rugg, in 1535, it came to the
Crown, and on June 20, Ao. 34th of Henry VIII. was granted with
the advowson, to Sir Thomas Paston with lands in Thurleton, for other
lands granted to the Crown. Edward Paston was lord and patron in
1640, the patronage belonged to this lordship.
The Earl of Yarmouth lord and patron in 1740. On the death of
this lord, it was sold to the Lord Anson, &c. on his death it came to
his brother Thomas Anson, Esq. the present lord.
Hofward, a freeman, had a lordship in King Edward's reign, consisting of one carucate of land, 3 villains, and 7 borderers, and there
was among them a carucate, 7 acres of meadow, valued at 40s. and
belonged to the soc of Ralph, (Earl of Norfolk. (fn. 2) )
On the expulsion of Ralph, the Conqueror gave it to Isaac, one
of his Normans, to whom he gave for his services a lordship at Thompson in Weyland hundred, one at Wooton in Lothing hundred, one at
Langley, one at Mundham, and at Lithing in the said hundred.
How long Isaac held this lordship does not appear; on his death
it seems to have been granted to the family of the Bigots Earls of
In the first year of Richard I. Jeffrey de Amblia gave 63 marks for
license to try his right to his lands in Begeton and Longhale. (fn. 3)
In the 4th of King John, a fine was levied between Joceline de Burlingham and Maud his wife, William de —, and Margaret his
wife, John de Depeham and Isabel his wife, and Emme their sister,
petents, and Jeffrey de Amblie tenent, of half a knight's fee in Begheton.
In the 28th of Henry III. it was found by inquisitions, that Jeffrey,
father of William de Aumbley, had a manse here of Roger le Bigot
Earl of Norfolk, by half a fee, and that William was his son and heir.
In the 41st of that King, William de Lincoln had view of frank
pledge, and held a moiety of the 4th part of a fee of William Ambeley, and he of the Earl-Marshal.—James de Lincoln had view of frank
pledge, the assise of bread and beer, paying to the King 12d. per ann.
William de Lincoln was lord in the 35th of that King, and was re
turned as lord in the 9th of Edward II. and John de Lincoln in the
20th of Edward III.
In the 37th of Edward III. a fine was levied, between Hugh Fastolf, Robert Benhale, and Bartholomew Antingham, knights, querents;
Thomas Coly and Isabel his wife of this manor, 416 acres of marsh in
this town and Mowton, conveyed to Hugh and his heirs.
Sir John Fastolf, Knt. held in the 3d of Henry IV. a manor called
Reedham Hall, of the Lord Mowbray's manor of Fornset, by the 4th
part of a fee, and died lord in 1459.
John Paston, Esq. next possessed it, and died in the 6th year of
Edward IV —On the 18th of Edward IV. the jury find that it would
not be to the King's prejudice, if license was granted to William Waynfleet Bishop of Winchester, &c. to alien to William Tyberb, clerk, president of St. Mary Magdalen College in Oxford, Reedham Hall in
Boyton, &c. (as in Brandeston in Eynford hundred) late Paston's, and
in this society it now remains.
The tenths were 2l. 14s. Deducted 4s.
The Church is a rectory, dedicated to All-Saints. Ancient valor
was 20 marks. Peter-pence 10d. ob. carvage 3d.
The prior of Norwich had a portion of tithe valued at 6s. 8d. (fn. 4)
Thomas de Blomvile confirmed the grant of it by John de Grey Bishop
of Norwich. The present valor is 13l. and discharged. Here was also
a vicarage formerly, as appears from the inquisition books valued at 40s.
In 1314, Robert Prime of Themilthorp, vicar, collated by the Bishop
1316, de Hedersete. Ditto.
1347, John Gyles, vicar.
1349, William de Ersham, vicar, by the Bishop.
1357, Richard de Anlaby, rector, by the Bishop.
1360, Ralph de Broughton, rector.
1361, Simon Asketel.
1364, Mr. Richard de Blythe, rector, by the King, the temporalities of the see being in his hands.
1306, Hen. de Dunston rector, by the Bishop.
1383, John de Intwell, rector.
1388, William Fulsome.
1393, John de Woodehall.
1395, William Horton.
1399, Henry Wells.
1422, John Swetenham.
1433, Robert Wheldale.
1451, John Fowler.
1459, John Whyte.
1461, Nicholas Mayn.
1466, John Wace.
1468, Nicholas Hysham.
1471, William Rychery.
Richard Wether occurs in 1428.
Edward Slym was rector about 1600, the patronage was in
John Duckworth rector in 1622.
Richard Fielding rector in 1632.
In 1721, Calthorp Harvey, on Jonath. Newhouse's death, by John
1733, John Rippinghall, by John Bennet, on a grant from the Earl