At the survey the King had, on the deprivation of 3 freemen, 37
acres of land, 4 acres and a half of meadow, and half a carucate,
valued at 2s. 8d.
Another part of the town was a beruite to the manor of South
Walsham, of which Elflet, a free-woman, was deprived, and contained
one carucate of land, 2 borderers, one carucate and an acre of meadow, and 3 socmen, with half a carucate and 18 acres of land, this
being valued with South Walsham manor, was worth in Elflet's time
5l. afterwards 11l. at the survey 12l. 13s.—4d. quitrent, and 20s. as a
present, or fine; Godric the King's steward took care of this at the
survey for the king.
The Conqueror had also another fee, or lordship in this town,
which Godric had the care of, out of which 10 socmen were expelled
who held it under Gert; it consisted of 2 carucates of land, and 5 borderers, with 20 acres of meadow, and 4 carucates, was 8 furlongs long
and 5 broad, and paid 15d. ob. gelt. (fn. 1)
These fees all centering in the Conqueror, remained in the Crown
till granted to the Bigod's Earls of Norfolk, probably by King Stephen,
and were held of them by several persons.
In the 20th of Henry III. Nicholas de Stradeset held the fourth part
of a fee of Roger Bigot Earl of Norfolk, and Nicholas le Boteler had
a moiety of a fee. Roger Alred had a third part, and Robert de Mouton
a third part of the said Earl.
The jury in the 15th of Edward I. find that Robert de Moulton,
claimed the assise, &c. as lord, and Oliver his son was lord in the
year 1320, and presented to this church. Maud his widow was living
in the 15th of Edward III. and in the 20th of the said King had an
interest herein, as the heirs of William Freeman, and Roger Alred
In the 22d of Edward III. Robert, son of Oliver de Mouton, conveyed this manor and advowson with lands here, homages, services,
&c. in other towns to Bartholomew de Salle and Richard de Bittering.
Nicholas Wichingham and Alice his wife, had lands and tenements,
of the lord Mowbray: Edmund Wichingham, Esq. of Wood-Rising
was lord, and Alice his wife, by her will dated in 1475, gives 6s. 8d.
to this church: she and her busband, in the 2d year of Edward IV.
settled this manor on Frances, one of their daughters and coheirs,
who married Sir — Mull, for her life.
Robert Spring died possessed of it April 3, in the 3d of Edward
VI. and their son Thomas had livery of it, and of the manor of Iclingham St. James in Suffolk; he conveyed it with Julian his wife, in the
4th of that King, to George Founteyn, Gent.
After this Thomas Palmer, Gent. had an interest herein, which he
left by will dated June 24, 1558, to Edward his son, by Elizabeth his
wife, and was buried in the church of Moughton.
In the 44th of Elizabeth, Edmund Anguish was lord of Moulton
Hall, Lampets, and Rothem-hall, and the Anguishes presented as lords
in 1617, 1658, 1699, &c.
The tenths were 3l.—Deducted nothing.
The church was a rectory, valued at 30 marks, Peter-pence 2s.—
carvage 4d. and the priory of Bungay in Suffolk had a portion of
tithe, valued at 20s. and was dedicated to St. Mary.
In 1320, Robert Rowland instituted rector, presented by Oliver de
1325, Mr. Ralph de Hakeford. Ditto.
1350, Roger de Mondegone, by Alice de Bumpstede.
1350, Robert de Norton. Ditto.
1352, John de Besthorp, by Richard Iver
1361, Adam de Foxler. Ditto.
About this time the patronage was granted to the dean and chapter
of St. Mary's college in the fields at Norwich.
1383, John Wayte, by the dean, &c. of St. Mary's college.
1383, John Harvey. Ditto.
1383, John Boteler. Ditto.
1403, John Virley, vicar, the rectory being lately appropriated to
the dean, &c.
1403, John Bawdre, vicar, by the dean, &c.
1403, John Scoole. Ditto.
1420, Thomas Petit Ditto.
1422, John Man. Ditto.
1427, William Snelling. Ditto.
William Taylor, vicar.
1429, Clement Welle.
1434, Thomas Alfred. Ditto.
1448, Thomas Hanworth. Ditto.
1453, John Domlyn. Ditto.
1461, John Norwich. Ditto
John Ramton, vicar.
1495, John Rudham. Ditto.
1502, Richard Thompson, Ditto.
1505, John Frampton, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1507, Robert Barker. Ditto.
1511, Richard Sampson, he was afterwards Bishop of Litchfield
and Coventry, as I take it.
1512, John Rogers.
1541, John Younge.
In the 7th year of King Edward VI. March 22, Thomas Gawdy
had a grant of this appropriated rectory and the patronage of the
1560, Robert Mourton, by the assignees of Richard Palmer.
1574, Roger Beweller, by Edward Palmer, Gent.
1617, Robert Pepys, by Richard Anguish, Esq.
1658, Thomas Essex, by Edmund Anguish, Esq.
1668, William Brook. Ditto.
1672, Thomas Wilson. Ditto.
1699, John Sallet. Ditto.
1711, John Pitts, vicar, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1723, Horace Fawcett, by Thomas Page, Esq.
1726, Thomas Carter. Ditto.
1737, Roger Geddings, by Thomas Anguish, clerk.
Mrs. Anguish had the patronage in 1742.
Here were the lights of St. Mary, and St. Nicholas.
The present valor is 5l. 6s. 8d. and is discharged.
John Holler of Mowton, Gent wills in 1505, to be buried in the
church, gives to the gild of our Saviour in Frethorp 2s.
Henry Palmer, by his will in 1523, requires to be buried before the
door of the choir; gives to the new making of the roof, trees and 10
marks, and 10l. to the making of the rood loft; also a pasture in
Baxter Lane end to the use of the church, for the exchange of the
pit and common, now part of his mote, and paled in.
Thomas Palmer, Gent. buried in the church in 1558.
In the church was a grave-stone
Orate p a'ia Joh. Holler et Kather. uxor. ej. qui. obt. xxo. Henricj
Septimi, and this shield, barry of ten argent, and azure, over all a
griffon segreant, or.
This village is in the survey, wrote Modetuna, and Mothetuna, thus
we find Modbury in Devonshire, Modeney priory in Norfolk, &c.