William de Beaufoe, Bishop of Thetford, was the chief lord
of this town, at the survey; Ketel a freeman held a moiety of it, under
the protection of Almar Bishop of Elmham, being deprived of it; all
Ketel's land here was so held of the abbey of St. Bennet, for their
maintenance, that he could neither sell or grant it away; Ernast had
invaded 57 acres of this land, with 10 of meadow, but Beaufoe had
recovered it, and Bernar held it under the Bishop; one carucate in
demean belonged to it, and there were under him (the Bishop) three
freemen, who had 45 acres of land, and 8 of meadow, with a carucate
and a half, valued at 10s. but at the survey at 20s. two parts of the
church endowed with 7 acres, valued at 7d. belonged it; it was 5 furlongs long, 3 and half broad, and paid 20d. ob. gelt. (fn. 1)
This Bishop, at his death gave this lordship, which he held in fee,
to his see, and successors, and several persons were enfeoffed herein,
and held it of the see. (fn. 2)
In the 10th of Richard I. Christiana, daughter of Peter de Billokeby
was petent, and Nicholas de Halebeck, tenent, of lands here; and in
the 20th of Henry III. Ralph de Halebech, held half a fee of Robert
de Caston, and he of the Bishop; and in the 15th of Edward I. the
jury find that Steph. de Billoksby claimed view of frank pledge of his
tenants, and Robert de Martham held half a fee of the Bishop.
In the 20th of Edward III. and in the 43d of that King, Nicholas
Lacy, parson of Bradwell; and Adam de Skegelthorp, parson of Causton,
as trustees, settled this manor and advowson on Reginald de Eccles
and Agnes his wife.
Robert de Martham, by his will dated February 18, (fn. 3) and proved
July 9, 1451, settled a moiety of the manor and lands on Robert
Repps, who was to marry Elizabeth, his daughter and coheir; his
other daughter and coheir Jane, being then single; mentions his
father Robert, gives to Bennet his wife, all his utensils, waggons, and
carriages, and animals, and 100s. per ann. dower.
In the 7th of Henry VII. on an inquisition taken November 8, Sir
William Capel was found to die seised of a lordship here, and Sir
Giles was his son and heir; but in Michaelmas term in the said year,
William Berney and Elizabeth his wife, convey to Edmund White,
Robert Holditche, Thomas Godsalve, &c. 200 acres of land, 19 of
meadow, 50 of pasture, 30 of marsh, and 33s. rent here, in Clippesby,
Owly, Ashby, &c. and in the said year and term.
Thomas Snytterton and Anne his wife, Robert Pylche and Elizabeth his wife conveyed as cousins and heirs of Elizabeth Martham,
one of the daughters and heirs, of Robert Martham, the manor of
Byllockly, 10 messuages, 200 acres of land, 20 of meadow, 100 of
pasture, 20 of wood, 40 of heath, 40 of furse, 100 of marsh, 4l. rent,
and the rent of 34 quarters of barley in this town, &c. with the
advowson of this church, to Thomas Godsalve, &c. and in the 32d of
the said king, in Hillary term, Franc. Noone Esq. and Anne his
wife, granted it with the advowson to Henry Hobart Esq.
In 1552 Robert Mayhew was lord, and presented to the church;
and Thomas Mayhew Gent. in 1531. In 1631 Sir George England
was lord and patron, and George England Esq. in 1740.
The abbot of St. Bennet had also a fee at the survey and before,
one carucate of land, and one in demean, with five acres of meadow,
and six freemen of the abbot held in commendation only 44 acres,
and 7 of meadow, with two borderers, valued at 18s. and what the
freemen held was valued at 16d. at the survey at 2s. (fn. 4)
In 1428, the temporalities of this abbey in this town, were valued
or taxed at 2s. 9d. ob.
On the exchange of the lands of this abbey, and those of the see,
between Henry VIII. and Bishop Rugg, this was granted to the see
of Norwich, and so was united to the other abovementioned lordship,
and so continues.
Roger Bigot, ancestor to the Earls of Norfolk, had a small tenure
at the survey held by a freeman of Alwi, in King Edward's reign,
under commendation, 20 acres of land, two of meadow, with a borderer, and half a carucate, valued at 20d. (fn. 5)
The tenths were 2l. 4s.
The Church is dedicated to All-Saints, and is a rectory; the ancient
valor was six marks, and Peter-pence 5d. ob.
In the 10th of Henry III. Ralph de Bray passed by fine to Nicholas de Holedis the advowson of this church.
Henry occurs rector in 1256.
1338, Robert de Folesham, presented by Ralph Holebek, as guardian of William, son of Stephen de Billocheby.
1323, Oliver de Wytton, by William son of Stephen de Billokeby.
1337, John Schirlock, by Robert de Martham, and John Fitz-Robert
1361, Robert Boys, by Adam de Skalethorp, parson of Caston, &c.
1370, Peter de Boldeswell, by Reginald de Eccles.
1392, Richard de Thirkeby, by Robert de Marsham and John Elys,
burgess of Great Yarmouth.
1401, John de Willeby, by Sir Miles Stapleton, Knt.
1420, Bartholomew Fuller, by William Frere, &c.
1432, John Cowherd, by Robert de Martham.
1435, John Reymes. Ditto.
1457, Thomas Burgh, by Repp's widow.
1472, Thomas Gleinsford, by John Bumstede, Gent.
1482, Robert Byxele, by the Bishop, a lapse.
1493, John Ramsey, by John Bumstead and Elizabeth his wife.
1511, William Hande,
1512, John Makyng.
1542, Nicholas More, by John Mason of Clipesby.
Richard Crowder, rector.
1561, Edward Sharp, by Robert Mayhew.
1593, John Nevinson, by Thomas Mayhew of Clipesby.
1602, William Parry.
1627, John Love.
1631, John Seaman, by Thomas Mayhew, Gent.
1673, John Ward, by Sir George England.
1679, John Groose, by George England, Esq.
1692, Barry Lave.
1701, John Wace, by George England, Esq.
1730, Thomas Dodd. Ditto.
Here were the lights of St. Mary and St. Nicholas.
The present valor is 2l. 18s. 9d. and is discharged.
In the chancel window were these arms, gules on a bend, argent
three trefoils vert, Harvey, impaling azure, a fess, dauncy, between
six escallops, argent, Dengayn; Jenney; Harvey impaling, argent, a
bend ragule vert, between six martlets, sable.
Reginald de Eccles and Agnes his wife, held half a fee of the
Bishop, which Ralph Holbeck formerly held: he made his will in
1380, and was proved July 7, 1381, Agnes his wife, and Sir Roger
de Boys, executors, to be buried in the north side of the chancel of
this church, gives legacies to John de Eccles his son, and to Thomas,
son of John de Martham (fn. 6)
John de Eccles, by will, dated 1383, bequeaths the reversion of
this manor, to be sold, and all above 100l. of the price to be expended
in the repair of the church and chancel, and mending the causeways
of Weybridge and Bastwick, and putting girls apprentice, Robert de
Martham his executor, proved in 1384.
Sir Richard Fulmerston had a grant on March 20, Ao. 29th of
Henry VII. of ands and tenements here and in Weybridge.