S. Pat. Re. Cap. c.
Pont. L. 2. f. 14.
188. Secret Treaty of Pope Leo X. with King Ferdinand
Pope Leo X. and Hieronymo de Vich, ambassador of King
Ferdinand, in his name and in the name of Queen Juana, conclude
the following articles :—
1. The Pope and King Ferdinand are to be good allies
during their joint lives.
2. The principal subject of this alliance is the defence of
the Pope and the Church.
3. The Pope and King Ferdinand bind themselves to defend,
with their combined forces, the states which they possess
at present in Italy, against all and every aggressor, whoever
he may be. The Pope promises also to use his spiritual
weapons in defence of his ally.
4. The Pope promises to excommunicate any prince, republic,
&c., who may attack King Ferdinand or his daughter,
Queen Juana, in such of their possessions as are not situated in
Italy. He likewise grants King Ferdinand and Queen Juana
a tenth in all their dominions, to be employed in the defence
of their states.
5. Neither of the contracting parties is at liberty to enter
into negotiations with the King of France, without the consent
of the other contracting party, respecting the re-occupation by
the French of Milan, Genoa, Asti, &c.
6. Neither of the allies will conclude any treaty with any
other prince or republic in prejudice of his ally.
7. This alliance cannot be abrogated by any other treaty
which the allies, or any one of them, may hereafter conclude
with other states.
8. This treaty is to be kept secret. Either of the contracting
parties is at liberty to consult respecting it with three
of his most confidential advisers, who, however, must swear
to keep it secret.
9. Two copies of this treaty are to be made. They are
to be written by Hieronymo de Vich, the ambassador of King
Ferdinand. One of the copies is to be signed and sealed
by the Pope, and to be sent to King Ferdinand.
Written by Hieronymo de Vich, in the Apostolic Palace
and in presence of the Holy Father, in Rome, on Wednesday,
the 21st of September 1514, the 2nd year of the reign of
the present Pope.
[Seal in red sealing wax.]
B. Cardinalis Sancte Mariæ in Porticu (fn. 1) de mandato
Sanctissimi Domini Nostri manu propria subscripsi.
Indorsed : "League between Leo X. and the Catholic King,
concluded the 21st September 1514."
"Secret : Is signed by his Holiness and written by Hieronymo
Vich, ambassador of the Catholic King.
Another copy signed by his Highness is delivered to
Latin. Holograph. p. 1. The treaty is written on an
uncommonly large piece of paper, so that one page is
about equal to three common pages in folio.