The Cannon' (No. 8) and Nos. 82 and 84 Queen Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

James Bird and Philip Norman (general editors)

Year published

1915

Supporting documents

Page

37

Citation Show another format:

'The Cannon' (No. 8) and Nos. 82 and 84 Queen Street', Survey of London: volume 6: Hammersmith (1915), pp. 37. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=98040 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

IX.—THE CANNON PUBLIC HOUSE (No. 80) and Nos. 82 and 84 QUEEN STREET

(fn. 1) Among the large number of inns for which Hammersmith has long been noted, the Cannon is one of the few which retain a certain measure of their ancient appearance. It is little more than a simple cottage of the 18th century, with plastered front, but it is made picturesque by a large overhanging bay-window on the first floor similar to that referred to in the description of No. 34 Queen Street. The building has not altered much since it was sketched by J. T. Wilson in 1869, as appears from his drawing preserved in the Coates Collection.

A pair of brick cottages, standing back from the road and adjoining the Cannon Public House on the south, Nos. 82 and 84, are survivals of the earlier houses that bordered Queen Street from the old church to the river. They have no special architectural character, but are well preserved and, in contrast with their surroundings, are of cheerful appearance.

In their rear, towards the west, runs a row of houses, six in number, on the south side of Ship Lane which are of 18th-century date. Ship Lane, which was formerly known as Pingsworth Lane and also as the "road from Pinsor Gate," was the commencement of the narrow way leading from Queen Street to the Mall, at the High Bridge over the creek. The whole neighbourhood has been completely transformed by the modern Bridge Road and the many streets and houses that have sprung up around it, the eastern part of the old passage-way being quite obscured except for the small portion bordered by these cottages.

Condition of repair.

Good.

Old prints, drawings, etc.

Water-colour drawing of the Cannon by J. T. Wilson (1869), Coates Collection.

do. do. by E. A. Phipson, Ravenscourt Park Library.

In the Council's ms. collection is:

Photograph of the Cannon.

Footnotes

1 Reproduced here.