XVI.—WEST LODGE, No. 27 LOWER MALL
Ground landlord, leaseholders, etc.
The premises are in the occupation of the Tilbury Motor Body
General description and date of structure.
This house, like several others on the Mall, retains the core of an
earlier house than would appear from its exterior. It has, in fact, been
entirely recased, back and front, with stock brickwork, and the addition of
a circular bay-window on the south as well as on the north elevation intensifies its apparent late character. The alterations seem to have been
made early in the 19th century, and to this period can be assigned the circular
iron balustrade of the first floor balcony to the front bay, the balustrading
over the porch and above the parapet of the house, and the attractive little
entrance gate with its arch of iron scrollwork supporting a lampholder.
The chief internal feature remaining from the original house is a
fine staircase, with balusters and carved brackets similar in detail to that at
Manor Hall, illustrated in Plate 120. The eastern front room is almost
the only one to retain its early panelling, and here is an exceptionally fine
marble fireplace of considerable size with deep bolection moulded architrave
and well-designed cornice (c. 1700 or perhaps earlier). Within the opening
is a richly ornamented grate and deep border of cast-iron belonging to the
Adam period. The staircase and panelling belong to the second decade of
the 18th century.
The house formerly possessed a cistern with date and initials
In the Council's ms. collection are:
View of south front and entrance gate (photograph).