Survey of London: volume 6: Hammersmith
James Bird and Philip Norman (general editors)
Sketch plan of Hammersmith
'Banners Yard', Survey of London: volume 6: Hammersmith (1915), pp. 52. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=98049 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
Old Prints, drawings, etc.
In the Council's ms. collection is:
Just east of the point at which the Lower Mall (or Middle Mall as
it used to be called) joins the converging lane now known as Aspen Place,
the two footways are connected by a little irregular row of cottages, standing
in a court named Banners Yard. The middle cottage is the earliest in date
and is somewhat larger than its neighbours, forming probably at one time a
detached building with its garden. It was built apparently in the 17th
century, and retains some of its casement windows. The whole row has
whitewashed walls and old tile roofs, and though it is difficult to get a full
view of the buildings, one obtains a pleasant glimpse of them in passing.
BANNERS YARD ASPEN PLACE LOWER MALL MAMMERSMITH
(fn. 1) Pen-and-ink drawing by Mr. A. O. Collard.
View of Banners Yard (photograph).
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd