Beavor Lodge

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

James Bird and Philip Norman (general editors)

Year published

1915

Supporting documents

Page

90

Citation Show another format:

'Beavor Lodge', Survey of London: volume 6: Hammersmith (1915), pp. 90. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=98064 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

XXXVI.—BEAVOR LODGE

Ground landlord, leaseholder, etc.

Owner: Sir William Richmond, K.C.B., R.A., who resides here.

General description and date of structure.

Little is known of the site on which Beavor Lodge now stands, except that it formed part of the same property as Linden and Grafton House (q.v.) and has already been referred to in discussing those houses. Beavor Lane (called in a deed of 1758 the "Washway" and in 1750 the "Green Walk") is shown on John Salter's map of 1830, and Beavor Lodge appears therein much in its present form. In the middle of the 18th century the house and the adjoining property were in the possession of Samuel Bever, and as he seems to have given his name to the lane and to the house, it is probable that he was the builder of the latter. The earliest reference to Beavor Lodge that has been found is contained in a lease (fn. 1) dated 13th April, 1757, whereby Samuel Bever demised to William Bedcott a messuage or tenement with coach-house and stable adjoining situate in a lane leading from the High Road from London to Brentford to the Thames side at Hammersmith, with the freehold land adjoining then in the occupation of Samuel Bever, (fn. 2) abutting south on the garden of John Winter, Esq., (fn. 3) and west on the said lane.

It is doubtful whether Bedcott actually lived at the house, as he is in 1773, after his death, described as "late of St. George's, Hanover Square." In that year the house was in the occupation of Joshua Adams, "of Hammersmith, wax chandler." Faulkner (fn. 4) states that Beavor Lodge was the residence of the vicar, the Rev. Francis Thomas Atwood.

The house is a simple rectangular building of two storeys, with brick walls and slate roof. Certain of the rooms exhibit some interesting 18thcentury decoration. In the arrangement of the very charming gardens, and in certain additions and alterations to the house, the taste of the present owner has found congenial employment.

In the Council's ms. collection are:

(fn. 5) Ground plan of house and gardens (measured drawing).

View of the north front (photograph).

View of the north front from the west (photograph).

Footnotes

1 Quoted in Middlesex Registry Memorials, 1773, V., p. 250.
2 Samuel Bever died in 1761–62, leaving all his freehold, copyhold and leasehold property in Hammersmith and Covent Garden to his widow and two children by his second marriage, Robert and Marian (afterwards Marian Durand). His will is Somerset House Wills, 234 Elvy.
3 See under Linden House.
4 History and Antiquities of . . Hammersmith, p. 339.
5 Reproduced here.