Survey of London: volume 6: Hammersmith
James Bird and Philip Norman (general editors)
Sketch plan of Hammersmith
'The 'White Bear', No. 100 King Street', Survey of London: volume 6: Hammersmith (1915), pp. 117. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=98074 Date accessed: 21 August 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
XLVI.—THE WHITE BEAR, 100 KING STREET
Old prints, drawings, etc.
In the Council's ms. collection are:
This little tavern was apparently at one time part of a larger house,
and the drawing by J. T. Wilson in 1869 (Plate 106) shows us the whole
building with some cottages west of it. The front wall on the first floor is
still plastered, and beneath the eaves of the tiled roof shows the old blocked
cornice. The modern public-house shop-front takes away from the old
character, but the structure remains to show the proportions of the older
houses that lined King Street. The white bear on the sign seems to have
undergone a considerable change in the process of repainting since its
delineation by Wilson.
(fn. 1) Water-colour drawing by J. T. Wilson (1869) preserved in the Coates Collection.
(fn. 1) View from King Street (photograph).
Three other views (photographs).
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd